Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• benlow11benlow11 Posts: 83 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    Since this is late I understand if it is not part of the challenge, but I figured I'd post it anyways just in case.
    CHALLENGE #: 18 Best Laid Plans II
    FORUM ID: benlow11
    ORIGIN ID: benlow11
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Cozy Retirement
    LOT COST: 2,500
    BUILD COST: 150,227
    TOTAL COST: 152,727
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://www.flickr.com/photos/17172001@N06/sets/72157650463144683
    Link to Gallery: http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/9C66B7F7FA0A11E485EA74782C4318E8?category=all&searchtype=item_name&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=Cozy Retirement&max=25
    ENTRY DETAILS:
    This 2 bed, 2 bath home is ideal for an older couple who needs space to get around. It comes complete with an eat in kitchen, wheelchair ramp for easy access, handicap rails for support in the master bed and bath, as well as the guest bath, and a small pool for a little exercise/fun.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM:Yes Please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: just used MOO

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    11gq8gl.jpg
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    @benlow11 - consider yourself included, I have just finished doing the entry list.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Challenge #19 - Double Take

You're struggling with a heavy box on a shelf above your drafting table when you notice a limousine pull up in front of your office building. This momentary distraction causes the box to slide off the shelf, hitting you in the head before spilling out its contents on the floor.

“OW!” You yelp, rubbing the tender spot on your head. You glance out the window again and do a double take when you see two identical couples step out of the limousine, all in wedding attire. How hard did you hit your head? You hurriedly cram the mess on the floor back into the offending box and shove it under your drafting table with your foot, just as Rose opens your office door.

“I know this isn't on the schedule,” Rose says quietly, “but I have two couples in the reception area who need your help. May I bring them in?”

“Of course, Rose!” you reply, striding over to your desk.

Suddenly your office is dwarfed by yards and yards of white organza and tulle as the two identical brides and their twin grooms rush into the office. You'd be convinced you had head trauma and were seeing double if it weren't for the subtle color-coding on each bride and groom. One bride has delicate embroidery and piping on her dress in lilac while the other's is in aqua. The grooms' bow ties coordinate with the brides' dresses. That's a handy way to tell them apart, you think to yourself. Other than the slight color differentiation, both sets of twins are identical. The women both have pale aquamarine eyes, which are striking against their tawny hair and tanned skin. Their features are exactly the same, right down to the beauty mark beneath their right eyes. The men are tall and athletic, with dark hair and olive skin, eyes the color of chocolate. The lilac bride steps forward and grasps your hand in her satin gloved hands.

“We apologize for showing up without an appointment, but we're in need of your help. My name is Natalia Gemelli. This is my sister, Bianca, her husband, Paolo, and my beloved husband, Matteo. As you can see, we've just come from our wedding, and now we're in need of a house.” There is a flurry of polite hand-shaking, as you try to remember who's who.

“A house?” you ask, “Or houses?”

“Well, that's just it, you see,” Natalia continues. “My sister and I share a unique bond as twins. We do everything together. We went to the same university, joined the same sorority, and even fell in love with the same set of twins. What we'd like is a duplex, where we can lead separate lives--”

“--but still be near each other,” Bianca finishes.

“All right,” you say. “What did you have in mind for this duplex?”

“Each unit needs to have two bedrooms with en suites, and maybe powder room,” Bianca says. “We like a more open concept where the kitchen, dining room, and living room all flow together.”

“We must have a shared outdoor space with a small patio or entertaining area, and we'd really love it if the units could be mirror images in terms of layout.”

“What sorts of styles do you have in mind?” you ask, trying not to get whiplash from the ever-changing conversation.

“Well,” Matteo jumps in, “I'm a bit of a workaholic CEO, and Natalia is on her way to becoming an anchor for the evening news, so we both really like things to be orderly and neat. We prefer a more contemporary style. Not necessarily modern, but clean lines, not a lot of unnecessary clutter. An office area would be fantastic.”

“Bianca and I prefer more of a relaxed, comfortable style,” Paolo says. “She loves to swim, and we both love nature, so natural fibers and colors are more our taste. I'm a photographer. Bianca is a chef, so a great kitchen is a must.”

“Do you all agree on an exterior style?” you ask, your mind already churning with ideas.

“We'd really like to leave that up to you,” Natalia responds. “Whatever style you think could incorporate all of our tastes would be wonderful! As for the budget, we've each managed to save $38,750 to put toward a home, so we have a total of $155,000 to spend. Can you help us?”

“Absolutely!” you reply. “When do you need the home completed?”

Matteo glances at his watch. “We're leaving for our joint honeymoon in Isla Paradiso shortly. We'll be there for two weeks and will need a place to call home after that. Is that possible?”

“Of course! I will have a beautiful duplex ready for you in two weeks with twin thresholds over which to carry your brides. Have a wonderful honeymoon!”

BRIEF:

☆ Please use the Brook Bungalow Lot in Courtyard Lane

Courtyard_Lane_zpsip4rg5zk.png~original

☆ Total lot cost not to exceed $155,000
    ☆ Duplex in a style that incorporates both contemporary and relaxed, natural interior styles

Each unit should have:
    ☆ 2 bedrooms with en suites
    ☆ Open concept living room, dining room, kitchen
    ☆ A powder room
    ☆ Shared outdoor space
    ☆ Office nook for Matteo and Natalia
    ☆ Units should mirror each other in layout, but not necessarily in style.

Sim challenge:
    Natalia is a family oriented, bookworm whose lifetime aspiration is to become a friend to the world Her husband, Matteo, is outgoing and ambitious, his lifetime aspiration is to become fabulously wealthy. Bianca is a foodie who loves the outdoors, her lifetime aspiration is to become a freelance botanist. Her husband, Paolo, also loves the outdoors and is active, his lifetime aspiration is to become a bodybuilder.

Room Challenge:
    This time we want to see what you can do with an outdoor space for the duplex. Please create a shared garden for the two couples. Your budget is $18,000. (You will need to create your garden area on a foundation, to allow you to upload it.)

Your deadline for this challenge is Wednesday 27th May, Midnight CMT

Use #Buildnshare and/or #BuildnShare19 for your uploads.
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • agusiamalagusiamal Posts: 294 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm sorry but this is a challenge in sims 4, right? And as far as I know there isn't lot 30x30 in any of The Sims 4 words... Or maybe I don't understand everything. My English is not too good...
    agusiamal wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this is a challenge in sims 4, right? And as far as I know there isn't lot 30x30 in any of The Sims 4 words... Or maybe I don't understand everything. My English is not too good...

You are correct @agusiamal - I was in the process of amending the challenge as you posted. Apologies.

GArBA5W.jpg
    edited May 2015
    ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #17

Your results are now available here.
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    ATTENTION STARTING OUT AND EXPERT ENTRANTS TO CHALLENGE #18

After keeping you all in suspenders over the results of the last challenge, you will be pleased to see that your results are available

Starting Out

Experts
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • KaileKaile Posts: 2,369 Member
    yay! thank you for accepting! :D and yay new challenge!!!
  • RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    Hello, this is my first visit here. :)

I wanted to know what are these challenge brief mean:
    * Duplex in a style that incorporates both contemporary and relaxed, natural interior styles
    * Units should mirror each other in layout, but not necessarily in style.
    Thank you in advance! :)

Also, bookmarking this thread to keep track on their entries. :smiley:
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • benlow11benlow11 Posts: 83 Member
    Thank you @BuildnShare for letting me be in challenge 18. :)
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    @RyeCris16 you should totally join in on the BuildNShare Challenge! It's so much fun and so inspiring!

A duplex is a semidetached house so 2 homes connected by a wall. I think the rest just is what kind of style each set of twin couples want...hence the "challenge" to get it all in one build under budget. :)

Not sure if I helped lol but, I do hope you join in on the fun!
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    I may try my hand at this one... I don't like playing duplexes so I haven't built one yet, but this may be a good excuse to add one to my collection :)
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
    RyeCris16 wrote: »
    Hello, this is my first visit here. :)

I wanted to know what are these challenge brief mean:
    * Duplex in a style that incorporates both contemporary and relaxed, natural interior styles
    * Units should mirror each other in layout, but not necessarily in style.
    Thank you in advance! :)

Also, bookmarking this thread to keep track on their entries. :smiley:

Hi, @RyeCris16 and welcome to BuildnShare!! @lisa17ann is correct, a duplex is a semi detached home, with a shared wall. The units should be a mirror image in terms of layout, but the style should depend on the personalities and tastes of which couple is living in which side. Hope that makes sense! If you have any more questions, please don't be afraid to ask :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
    benlow11 wrote: »
    Thank you @BuildnShare for letting me be in challenge 18. :)
    You are welcome @benlow11 - I hadn't finished the entry list, so you literally snuck in there :P

GArBA5W.jpg
    Thank you so much for the welcome and for the quick response, @BuildnShare and @lisa17ann! I know now about the duplex being the same but mirrored exterior layout, but can be a different style in interior. Am I right? ;)

Also, I still need a clarification about the brief saying "incorporates both contemporary and relaxed, natural interior styles". Thanks again! :)
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    Yes your right @RyeCris16 I think the second question means one couple like contemporary decor while the 2nd couple like a more relaxed natural styled decor because they are outdoorsy Sims lol at least that's what I think it means lol :)
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• masajomasajo Posts: 5,993 Member
    Great to see you here @RyeCris16 and @Cerryd really looking forward to seeing both of your designs :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
    @lisa17ann That makes sense, hehe! Thank you for the clarification! :) I still need an answer from @BuildnShare to make sure. :)

@masajo Thank you for the welcome! I'm very glad to see me here in this community! :smiley:
  • kezflakekezflake Posts: 124 Member
    I was going to sit this one out but now I know it's a duplex / semi detached I don't think I'm going to be able to resist. These are my favorite style of builds after all. The mirror image will be different for me but I've seen enough of them on the gallery to know how they are supposed to work. Like @Cerrydd I don't like playing them.
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    @Buildnshare - for mirrored layouts, I want to clarify that you mean the floorplan...does the interior decor and furniture layout also need to be mirrored?
    @RyeCris16 - the brief tells you all you need to know about how each couples' tastes for their own interiors....

“Well,” Matteo jumps in, “I'm a bit of a workaholic CEO, and Natalia is on her way to becoming an anchor for the evening news, so we both really like things to be orderly and neat. We prefer a more contemporary style. Not necessarily modern, but clean lines, not a lot of unnecessary clutter. An office area would be fantastic.”

“Bianca and I prefer more of a relaxed, comfortable style,” Paolo says. “She loves to swim, and we both love nature, so natural fibers and colors are more our taste. I'm a photographer. Bianca is a chef, so a great kitchen is a must.”

@misscbong - yep, both the furniture placement and layout need to be an exact mirror.

GArBA5W.jpg
    @BuildnShare Oh, I haven't read that! I'm so sorry for the laziness. Thanks again for the clarification. :)
  • NhicksNhicks Posts: 1,580 Member
    Oh well I messed up already LOL. I didn't mirror furniture. @buildnshare
    Find Me In The Gallery! MzHicks #MzHicks
    ~My showcase thread~
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/814744/mzhicks-builds
    How You Liven - A Peek Into YOUR Sims World
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/887032/how-you-liven#latest
  • TwtyBrd0707TwtyBrd0707 Posts: 102 Member
    @BuildnShare do the decorations like plants, pictures and clutter have to be mirrored?
  • CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    Matteo and Natalia want an office nook, so if the furniture has to be mirrored, that means the other house gets an office nook too? :D
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top