Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Aurora Skies Boho Chic Make-over contest. Win a World! *Winners Announced*

AaronsimsAaronsims Posts: 720 Member
edited June 2015 in The Sims 3 Store Gifting
I LOVE the beautiful scenery of Aurora Skies but I'm not crazy about the stark, modern look of all the buildings. I'd like to give the world a make over and I need your help! My goal is to turn it into an imaginary contemporary Scandinavian-ish/Euro village where all of the residents feel a strong romanticism for the traditions of the past. To give an idea of the style I'm interested in think less IKEA and more like the shop Anthroplogie. I'm not necessarily looking for historical accuracy so much as a lot of little details that evoke the past.

There will be two categories in the contest and you may enter each category once. The first category is to create sims to be residents of the world. The second is to build new lots to fill the world.

Sims can be either single sims or families. Pets can be included with families and are in fact encouraged. For the sims I'm looking for them to be dressed in contemporary clothing that is influenced by folkwear. Check out traditional Norwegian bunads, and even German/Austrian dirndls and lederhosen. A lot of layering would be great too: scarves, shawls, richly patterned sweaters, woolen socks, embroidered skirts, etc...

For the lots I'm again looking for quaint, homey details: painted wood furniture, cozy quilts, shutters and window boxes, antlers, hand painted wallpaper. I also like lots of pattern and texture: florals, stripes, paisley, plaids. A detail I'm especially interested in is Norwegian rosemaling which is a form of decorative painting that utilizes stylized flowers and other swirling patterns. I'm looking for both community and residential lots. For the residential lots, think of cozy but chic mountain cabins, a cute woodland cottage, a snug farmhouse, or maybe a stately country house for some royals looking to get away and relax in nature. Some examples of commercial lots would be a rustic bakery/patisserie, a local pub, a homey restaurant, a small reading nook/library and a Scandinavian style spa with a pool, saunas, massage tables, exercise equipment and a hot tub. All lots listed above are only suggestions. Feel free to create any other ideas you have.

[img][/img]mens%20clothes.jpg

[img][/img]womens%20clothes.jpg

[img][/img]building%20inspiration.jpg

[img][/img]buildinginspiration2.jpg

Examples of rosemaling

[img][/img]rosemaling.png

To allow people more time to finish their entries, the contest has been extended. The NEW deadline for submissions will be Sunday, June 14 at 11:59 pm.

Judges:
1) Aaronsims
2) Cogitotoro
3) Teegers

Sponsor:
1) Cogitotoro 2000sp!
2) @NagyGina One Venue!

Prizes:

Category 1- Sims:
First Prize: One Standard World
Second Prize: One Venue or 1900sp
Third Prize: 1000sp

Category 2- Lots
First Prize: One Standard World
Second Prize: One Venue or 1900sp
Third Prize: 1000sp

Prizes may be given to a friend.
Post edited by Aaronsims on

Comments

• AaronsimsAaronsims Posts: 720 Member
    edited May 2015
    Rules:

1. All lots must be newly built by you for this contest. No EA Make-overs please. Sims can be ones you created previously and have restyled, but must have originally been made by yourself. edit: make-overs of existing EA lots is now allowed! If submitting a make-over please indicate this in your submission.

2. All entries must be uploaded to the exchange.

3. Absolutely no CC or CAP

4. Please custard check your entries

5. One entry in each category is allowed per person. edit: you may now enter one residential lot and one commercial lot in the building category, though only your highest scoring of the two will be eligible to win.

6. All Ep’s and Sp’s can be used

7. All store content can be used.

8. No Dr. Pepper or T-Mobile items.

9. Please use one of the lots provided in the world. If you don't own Aurora Skies you can use a lot from another world, but please do not use lots placed with CAW.

10. Please use the entry form when submitting your entry.

11. Play test your entry.

12. buy debug and ea cheats are ok.

13. Post no more than 5 pictures of your entry.

14. Please do not quote pictures, this can cause the thread to break.

15. Be creative and enjoy the contest!

Entry Form:

Creator name:
    Creation title:
    Category:
    Exchange link:
    Description:
    Pictures:
    edited June 2015
    List of Contestants
    ================================================================
    LOTS

Username: LadyGreenEyes
    Name of entry: Scandinavian Cottage
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13645201#Comment_13645201
    ===============
    Username: Misscow1p
    Name of entry: Home By The Pond
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13672210#Comment_13672210
    ===============
    Name of entry: Judiths Department Store
    Entry page link:[/b http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13740123#Comment_13740123
    ===============
    Username: gnlovew
    Name of entry: Winsome Willows
    Entry page link:http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832201/aurora-skies-boho-chic-make-over-contest-win-a-world-now-open/p16
    ===============
    Username: LadyGreenEyes
    Name of entry: The Bookery
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832201/aurora-skies-boho-chic-make-over-contest-win-a-world-now-open/p17
    ===============
    Username: Eddessa
    Name of entry: Little Norway
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832201/aurora-skies-boho-chic-make-over-contest-win-a-world-now-open/p18
    ===============
    Username: okester
    Name of entry: Den Barn Butiken
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832201/aurora-skies-boho-chic-make-over-contest-win-a-world-now-open/p24
    ===============
    Username:
    Name of entry:
    Entry page link:
    ===============
    Username:
    Name of entry:
    Entry page link:
    ===============

SIMS

Name of entry: Haugen Family
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13672210#Comment_13672210
    ===============
    Username: Anettesb
    Name of entry: Amy Banks
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832201/aurora-skies-boho-chic-make-over-contest-win-a-world-now-open/p10
    ===============
    Username: gnlovew
    Name of entry: Christian and Cassie Symter
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832201/aurora-skies-boho-chic-make-over-contest-win-a-world-now-open/p15
    ===============
    Username: RaeNic
    Name of entry: Nystrom Family
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832201/aurora-skies-boho-chic-make-over-contest-win-a-world-now-open/p17
    ===============
    Username: Carmen0908
    Name of entry: The Sorensen household
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832201/aurora-skies-boho-chic-make-over-contest-win-a-world-now-open/p22
    ===============
    Username: MariTomKaulitZ
    Name of entry: Blomgren Family
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13740123#Comment_13740123
    ===============
    Username: Eddessa
    Name of entry: Albrekt Family - Engaged with a loyal adult Elkhound!
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832201/aurora-skies-boho-chic-make-over-contest-win-a-world-now-open/p25
    ===============
    Username: Silvakristiina
    Name of entry: Lind
    Entry page link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832201/aurora-skies-boho-chic-make-over-contest-win-a-world-now-closed-for-judging/p21
    *note: waiting for cc to be fixed*
    ===============
    Username:
    Name of entry:
    Entry page link:
    ===============
    edited June 2015
    Frequently asked Questions:

1)What is custard and where can I get it?

Answer: Custard is a program that checks sims3packs and looks for corrupt files and shows all CC contained in the file. You can get custard and all instructions on how to use it at Mod The Sims.

http://modthesims.info/d/390235

2) What do you mean by contemporary mixed with traditional? Those pictures you posted don't look very contemporary.

Answer: Imagine that you take a bunch of traditional European folk wear costumes and throw them in the washing machine with a bunch of modern boho chic clothing. When you get dressed you're in a hurry so you blindly grab a bunch of different pieces, but instead of looking like a jumbled mess you end up with a very fashionable outfit that blends the two styles perfectly. (The same idea applies to the buildings as well, though you'd have a hard time fitting a sofa in the washing machine) :wink:

"Just For Fun" entries and other lots/Sims that fit the theme

1) Bristlcone Farm. A charming little farmhouse made by Glenkarri and Kaztomp of the D.N.A. request team: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8451116

2) Bristlecone Park. An adjoining festival lot that is meant to go with Bristlecone Farm: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8338729

3) Louie's Mill by Teegers. http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8664891
  • CogitotoroCogitotoro Posts: 1,401 Member
    This contest looks great! I have a greenhouse WIP with a huge basement complex decorated in the style you're talking about - do you think an above-ground greenhouse would fit in with the exterior theme you're thinking about? It's a "perfect garden" lot with all the harvestables at perfect quality (very handy to have in a community), but with a lot of bonus features below ground.
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
    @Cogitotoro A greenhouse would absolutely fit into the world and yours sounds great. I look forward to seeing it!
  • SilvakristiinaSilvakristiina Posts: 444 Member
    Allowed to post? I almost couldn't help myself, I got so very exited about this! :D I don't have the Aurora Skies but I'll do my research online then.

I'm a little confused by the words "contemporary Scandinavian", I feel it's the opposite of your pictures and what you said, but I'm not a native speaker so maybe it has more meanings than I understand. I'm pretty much dependent of Google to widen my vocabulary :D To me your pictures seem like Russia and especially Netherlands: Maybe these old styles are not so far away from each other. (My mom they reminded of Peru :D) I think Scandinavian styles are more restrained. I've never visited anyones home in Sweden or Denmark but I think they buy (too) much Ikea stuff ;) So old fashion furniture, colours, chabby chic, a little bohemian?

@Cogitotoro, oh I just had a garden in my mind too! Maybe I need to think of something else so that the lots wouldn't be too much alike :)

Yippee!
  • pxelskiespxelskies Posts: 1,064 Member
    This contest sounds amazing! I'm definitely going to try to enter :)

@Silvakristiina: Haha, I'm from the Netherlands, and I can tell you that our houses don't really look like the ones in the pictures (and we're not dressed like that either ;) ). But I have to say they don't scream Scandinavian to me either - but that's probably because I've never really been there. I do love the pictures, though.
    Ok, I was worried my vision wouldn't be clear and I guess I was right. Ha ha. :blush: I'll point back to one of my first points: I'm not looking for historical accuracy. I guess the easiest way to boil it down is that it's sort of a made up world where people are in clothes that are a mix of modern and older folk wear styles. The influences can come from anywhere in Europe really. My main influence came from researching Norwegian Bunads. Here are a few examples:

5fd0c6d03a6b69a89447a1b1a9577bc8.jpg

250_bunad.jpg

bunad.jpg

So it would be taking elements of those older styles and mixing them with newer styles. Like in the collage of men's clothes there is a guy on a bike wearing lederhosen with converse sneakers.

Does that make sense?

So old fashion furniture, colours, chabby chic, a little bohemian?

This is it exactly!

I think I get what you're going for! Like, traditional style, with a few newer twists?
    @MariTomKaulitz, haha, that just shows that notions may have nothing to do with reality :D Maybe it was the mens trousers that got me thinking that part of Europe? You don't have those sort of trousers? And wooden shoes? :D

We have had beautiful national costumes aswell, but nobody wears them anymore :< It's rather sad. My mom has the outfit of our home area and she wore it only once... Maybe I can wear it when I'm middle aged and it finally fits me :D Now watching those outfits most of them don't even seem Finnish to me... Oh and just to say, Finland isn't a part of Scandinavia, even though even we think so ourselves :D Sami people still wear their costumes in Finland. (A perfect place to link to SATW comics, if you haven't heard of it)

I love it how you can learn so many things you've never thought before in the Sims forums!

Picture says a thousand words, so I'll follow them @Aaronsims :)
    @Silvakristiina Haha, yes, that could be it! We do have wooden shoes, but there's barely people that wear them nowadays. :D

Those national costumes are beautiful as well! But yes, I think that we all forget about our country's traditional style sometimes, because we're not used to wearing those clothes anymore.
    It's truly amazing how much we learn over here!

Sami people still wear their costumes in Finland.
    Yes! I love the Sami costumes and find them fascinating. I'd never even heard of them until Frozen came out. :smiley:

Here's a good example. This is a man in Sami traditional clothes-

man_in_sami_norwegian_national_costume_finnmark_north_norway_photo_johan_wildhagen-innovation_norway.jpg

Now imagine that he's instead dressed in jeans and a puffy vest like this-

a6e1f96191f2461d67a5e99414e72baa.jpg

But the vest is made of the blue and red embroidered fabric from the original picture and he has a baseball cap in the same fabric as the Sami hat. That's the kind of mix of old and new I'm looking for.

P.S. I love the link you gave to the Finnish Costumes. Very pretty!

I think I get what you're going for! Like, traditional style, with a few newer twists?
    yep, you got it!
  • CogitotoroCogitotoro Posts: 1,401 Member
    Here come a bunch of pictures!

I think I've got a pretty good idea of the style you're talking about in terms of interiors and fashion - let me know if these are in the right area:

744613480_650055182d.jpg
    tumblr_l340fwTVyC1qzzo2po1_500.jpg
    DINES-HERE.jpg
    floral-calendar-the-house-that-lars-built-2014.jpg
    tumblr_m0fuk8uWVG1qfg1mko1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m132ikjNld1qb7t3eo1_400.png
    tumblr_loutqzcfST1qlwg31o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lolbriSYCt1qatqtto1_1280.jpg
    37d93793f1414ea95effd8150066fb80.jpg
    OililyW14047fix-433x550.JPG

...but I'm not sure about exteriors. Would any of these be kind of in the right neighborhood?
    3311ea582a761f77b40d01426035360c.jpg
    5122539-md.jpg
    stock-photo-danish-traditional-houses-65549674.jpg
    stavechurch.jpg

Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
  • MermaidInWonderlanMermaidInWonderlan Posts: 219 Member
    Oooh this sounds fun! I love decorating homes in similar styles to this anyway, AND this gives me the push I need to finally play Aurora Skies, which I just recently got and haven't had time to explore! I've never uploaded any lots/Sims before but hopefully I'll be able to figure it out. :) Thanks for hosting this, @AaronSims!
    @Cogitotoro Those pictures are great! They definitely capture the boho/old world chic I'm after. Every one of the exteriors you posted are perfect. Seriously! The stave church especially. It's like you read my mind because I was already planning on having a stave church in there.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    Your contest sounds great! :) I will look forward to seeing the entries when it begins. The pictures that you have posted are very nice!
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited May 2015
    I think I risk stealling som of your entries... it looks a lot like what I'm also doing to HS.

especially if you get any family homes ....
    and likely a family or 2

maybe if 1 of my builds for HS fits your criteria I enter.... no promises.

@Silvakristiina
    hmm I don't think many have much IKEA stuff here in Denmark, some do ... and I did as a student (it's cheap) but what Aaron posted is defently not uncommen here, many have inheirited (or bought used) old furniture.... I have a granpaclock, and and old dark wooden dinning room set.... from Ikea I have 2 lamps and a few boxes + other knick knack oh and the old table I used for the guinepigs cages, now used for painting.....

it is more like you got to direction in style in Denmark (Scandinavia)... if not more.
    this moderen meets traditionel, bohemian like style
    and the sleek, minimalistic ofthen white in white style.

woodenshoes = garden shoes in my family

in Denmark we have tons of difrent traditional outfits (folkedragter) all depending on region.... people that dances the old folkdances often use them there...

this is the one from where I was born

=244816.501.jpg

🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
    rosemow wrote: »
    Your contest sounds great! :) I will look forward to seeing the entries when it begins. The pictures that you have posted are very nice!

Thank you @rosemow! You're always so encouraging to the designers here. It's really lovely to see and I know everyone always appreciates your thoughtful comments on their work!

@anettesb I hope we do get some entries you're able to use too! Thank you for sharing your local folk wear with me. I lOVE his hat and her headpiece! One of my favorite parts of this contest so far has been learning about different peoples customs. I'm from the US but have Norwegian heritage and I just recently became interested in learning about the culture. I saw a picture of one of my great grandmothers in her very distinctive traditional wedding attire and I thought it was so beautiful and different than anything I'd ever seen. My job is doing costumes for theatre so I was very interested in doing some research, and from there I got the idea to do this "new meets old" style world. I hope people are able to have fun with it!
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    @Aaronsims wrote: »

@anettesb I hope we do get some entries you're able to use too! Thank you for sharing your local folk wear with me. I lOVE his hat and her headpiece! One of my favorite parts of this contest so far has been learning about different peoples customs. I'm from the US but have Norwegian heritage and I just recently became interested in learning about the culture. I saw a picture of one of my great grandmothers in her very distinctive traditional wedding attire and I thought it was so beautiful and different than anything I'd ever seen. My job is doing costumes for theatre so I was very interested in doing some research, and from there I got the idea to do this "new meets old" style world. I hope people are able to have fun with it!

your welcome the dress in the picture is NOT typical danish though... as it is made of silk and have a story of being given by the queen to the area do to them saveing her.... the male outfite is more typical though.
    her headpice is simply practical living on a very windy and sand filled island.
    http://www.visitlaesoe.dk/ln-int/laesoe/history/precious-traditional-laesoe-dress

my mom have one, well she did, but she never use it so she might have given it to some one ells... if I start seriosly dansing old folkdances (my dad did it so I did as a child) I would prefere to do it in the Laesoe dress, as it is where I'm born. But it is expensive... could live with cheaper look alikes in fabric and deco, if need be.

think it be cool if some of your families formal wear was traditional folk outfits.

🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
    anettesb wrote: »

think it be cool if some of your families formal wear was traditional folk outfits.

I've actually already made the Norwegian Crown Prince and his family for my game, and they are dressed in their traditional costumes for their formal wear. :)
    Thank you @Aaronsims for the surprises! I would have been thrilled by this contest even without them, but I'll surely use them :)
    I started working on a family; I hope to have it up soon! :)

And thank you so much for being so generous @Aaronsims!