Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Toddlers are too big to be in a free patch (and I don't mean file size)

pezhead7pezhead7 Posts: 838 Member
You might think we're entitled to them if we own the base game, and that's fair, but the truth of the matter is ... it's too much work to just give away.

Toddlers (plus clothing, interactions, and other age specific gameplay unique to that age) will most likely be added in a generations style expansion.

We may get basic toddler content, like their inclusion in the aging cycle, and a handful of CAS bits, but the bulk of content developed will be packaged with an expansion and other features that go along with a generational pack.

I'm sorry we didn't get them today.
But you kinda hyped yourself up over this. You kind of have yourself to blame for a portion of the disappointment.

EDIT: 1.) I didn't say you wouldn't get them in a patch.
2.) I didn't say you would ONLY get them in an expansion.

I meant that they would come with a patch at the time of the expansion's release.

It will patch the game for both base game players AND expansion users.

I'm saying that the development resources available would be spent on an expansion that adds things both in an expansion AND the base game.

It's just too big to be a free monthly patch.
They'd have to sell it as an expansion to the bean counters, and slide the basics of toddler features to us as a base game up date. Most of the good stuff would be in the expansion.

Also, I still feel that when a player assumes any update is Toddler oriented, they're setting themselves up for a let down.

EDIT 2: I'm not talking about file size. I was referring to development time and the amount of resources that would go into it.

Basically, we'll most likely have to wait for their development cycle to allow for it to coincide with an expansion. Then toddlers will be added, but a lot of the toddler assets will come in a generational expansion.
Post edited by pezhead7 on

Comments

• CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    edited May 2015
    They can't be added in an expansion really. Their presence will effect the game too fundamentally, it's not something you can leave in or out at choice. If they release them at all, everyone will have to have them, surely. That would never happen if it was paid content because not everybody buys everything so it's free or nothing I think.

Starting to think we wont get them at all. Didn't expect them to be patched in today though, so not really 'disappointed' as some people are.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    pezhead7 wrote: »
    You might think we're entitled to them if we own the base game, and that's fair, but the truth of the matter is ... it's too much work to just give away.

Toddlers (plus clothing, interactions, and other age specific gameplay unique to that age) will most likely be added in a generations style expansion.

We may get basic toddler content, like their inclusion in the aging cycle, and a handful of CAS bits, but the bulk of content developed will be packaged with an expansion and other features that go along with a generational pack.

I'm sorry we didn't get them today.
    But you kinda hyped yourself up over this. You kind of have yourself to blame for a portion of the disappointment.

Actually...they aren't too big to put in a patch lol

Why would the size even matter? (regardless of some people's low internet connection)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Sul5ul wrote: »
    You kind of have yourself to blame for a portion of the disappointment.

No, we don't. Toddlers SHOULD have been in the game on launch, 9 months later and they're still nowhere to be found. It isn't our fault that the developers were given a tight budget and timeframe, it isn't our fault so they tried to make a social game. Toddlers need to come, and fast. I wouldn't even mind paying for them, but then I think about people who might not be able to afford a new EP and already bought the base game, so they need to come in a patch. There's no such thing as something being too big for a patch, if they can be added in an EP they can be added in a patch.

[img]http://🐸🐸🐸🐸.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/05/Amen-brother-gif.gif[/img]

• KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    But they are small little rascals ! They aren't that big at all !
  • thesims3boythesims3boy Posts: 18,046 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    You kind of have yourself to blame for a portion of the disappointment.

No, we don't. Toddlers SHOULD have been in the game on launch, 9 months later and they're still nowhere to be found. It isn't our fault that the developers were given a tight budget and timeframe, it isn't our fault so they tried to make a social game. Toddlers need to come, and fast. I wouldn't even mind paying for them, but then I think about people who might not be able to afford a new EP and already bought the base game, so they need to come in a patch. There's no such thing as something being too big for a patch, if they can be added in an EP they can be added in a patch.

[img]http://🐸🐸🐸🐸.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/05/Amen-brother-gif.gif[/img]

I love you for posting a Ron Swanson GIF.
  • bowiecasualtybowiecasualty Posts: 62 Member
    It's too late to add them. They weren't included in the original game and they're too big to be included in a patch or expansion pack. It sucks but mehh
    tumblr_m7h64cQNLm1qdp7wqo1_500_zpsf8obocq4.gif
  • MandysAMessMandysAMess Posts: 2,694 Member
    Toddlers are definitely not something they would quietly patch in. IF they come, there will certainly be advertising for them beforehand. There are a lot of people, family players, who are still playing TS3 and a huge reason for that is toddlers...toddlers would make EA/Maxis (whoever) a lot of money. I'd expect them to be in some kind of Generations expansion, if they're added at all.
    My Simblr: WaffleKone
  • poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    I don't get it myself... my daughter (grown) and I were both happy no toddlers. We like our games without them. I hope they don't add them in a patch or an EP. I know that isn't a popular opinion but it's ours. I like the way my generations flow now. In TS2 and TS3 I hated the time it took to deal with the toddler phase. It was disproportionate to the other ages for me. Yes, it was realistic, but I had my kids and they are all grown now. I don't want to spend all of my time getting my sims to change diapers and potty training.

I do however agree that it is more likely to come in an EP than a patch. You may get the age group and some very basic hairs/clothes/items in a patch, but the real content will be in a pack. That is just my opinion.

As for deserving and demanding toddlers. They weren't in the base game. If you purchased the base game as is, then you told EA that you were OK with no toddlers. You can say that you were vocal in telling them you expect toddlers later on, but actions speak far louder than words!
    Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
    Twitch: ForgottenAmber
    Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • NaiaNaia Posts: 117 Member
    Just keep dreaming about toodlers on free patches it's all about MONEY!
  • husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »
    We set ourselves for disappointment? Lol, EA is the one that set us up for disappointment. Toddler life stage should have been in the game from the start. I get when expectations fail, but I think it's pretty normal to expect to have all life stages in the game, I think it's pretty normal to expect CAS and other main functions of the game to be in there.

no you should expect more star wars stuff in this game toddlers are plum
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    I agree. toddlers in Sims 2 in terms of clothes, hair, toys were very basic, only with Pets and other additions all those cool interactions developed. Also family stuff pack helped with it. Sims 4 prob will be the same. Agree with you
  • cassisasscassisass Posts: 3 New Member
    Sims 2 had toddlers, Sims 3 had toddlers. Let's take a moment to realize that from playing The Sims 2 (as most of us have), they built The Sims 4 on that game, not 3. The Sims 3 doesn't run, it's horribly optimized, and here we are, apparently sacrificing open world, toddlers, and cars for better performance. Sorry, I've played Skyrim with better quality than Sims 3, this age is new, get your act together and make a game that runs well and lives up to a 15 year expectation for one of the best selling games.
    Did you know there is an item called a Birthday cake, and when you click on it you can age up your Sims?

Not trying to be condescending here, but I'm pretty upset that people are happy about features being omitted that bring so much joy to others. Toddlers and raising a family was practically my main playstyle and I know many others felt the same as me.

I was just stating my opinion and I clearly said that. I did also say that it wasn't the popular opinion. I'm sorry that my opinion has hurt your feelings in some way. I was not being disrespectful in any way.

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    i just thought about it and came to a conclusion that toddlers are not going to be add at all we already have outdoor retreat and get to work which are complitable with only the existing life stages so adding life stage will broke those two so as i guess iam going to redownload only the basegame of the sims 2 why cause it doesnt need any expension to have toddlers
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I personally don't want toddlers in the game they will be a pain in the butt if they are put in. But I love how adorable they are in TS3 they would be so adorable in TS4.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Did you know there is an item called a Birthday cake, and when you click on it you can age up your Sims?

Not trying to be condescending here, but I'm pretty upset that people are happy about features being omitted that bring so much joy to others. Toddlers and raising a family was practically my main playstyle and I know many others felt the same as me.

I was just stating my opinion and I clearly said that. I did also say that it wasn't the popular opinion. I'm sorry that my opinion has hurt your feelings in some way. I was not being disrespectful in any way.

Well your happy without Toddlers okay. But for me it's not really about specifically having toddlers, rather it's a life stage that has been there since 2 and shouldn't be tossed away now. It's about them getting rid of a life stage. If they find out that everyone is okay with that, who knows what other life stage they'll omit, and then it won't even represent life anymore.

It's more about the consequences.

You're definitely entitled to your opinion. I think the reason pro-toddler people get so upset over comments like that is because we desperately want them in our games and we fear EA/Maxis (whoever) will listen to those saying 'don't add them' and think it's not important to the community. I know that's dramatic but it is what it is lol. Imagine if you really wanted something added that people who weren't interested could easily bypass but they still screamed "don't add that!". It's frustrating. We can't pretend to have toddlers but if they were added, people could pretend they didn't.

I truly understand that, but if you do a quick poll on who wants and who doesn't it's clear those who want are in a major majority!

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam