Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Favorite/least favorite Sims base game? Expansion pack?

Comments

• Options
    vef426vef426 Posts: 33 Member
    Most Favorite Base Game: The Sims 3. I was not a fan of how the sims looked and the bugginess of the game but I LOVED the base game. There was so much to do and so much to explore. It was so open and I felt like I could really really creatively actually play the game. For once, since Sims 1, I was actually playing. I enjoyed it so much.
    Least Favorite Base Game: Sims 4. So incredibly boring. I love how smooth it runs but really? Its duller than dishwater. Even just building and creating is blah for me here. Game play is out of the question. I have tried and tried and I find myself bored after 20 minutes. Its seriously lacking.
    Most Favorite Pack: Such a hard question. Sims 3 World Adventures possibly. or Sims 2 Open For Business.
    Least Favorite Pack: This one's hard. Sims 3 Into the Future maybe.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I like Ts1, 2 & 3 equally.

Not played TS4 so it would be unfair for me to say that it is 'plum' when everyone else is saying it.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Favorite game Sims 2 - hands down because of the sims themselves, and the superior Sandbox play, and all the many working like real life kind of community lots. Sims 2 is the closest we have ever came to having realistic feeling tiny people in a realistic world and life who were a whole lot like us and our real life world.

Least favorite - Sims 4 hands down - no roads, no way to place lots, no toddlers, no dishwasher, no sandbox play- lots of no.... and all these no's in this game makes this entire game a fail in my view with it's linear rpg style which I hate in games; and limits a lot of any future potential Sims 4 might have had, as it has a superior CAS and build mode - so it is a shame the rest of the game royally rots. I'm back to playing Sims 2 and Sims 3. Base game is totally unfinished and not worthy of eps, sps or anything else.

Favorite EPs ever - is Sims 3 Supernatural (except for the zombies) and Sims 3 Into the Future - which ties with Sims 2 Bon Voyage, Sims 2 University - and they tie with Sims 1 Makin' Magic and Sims 1 Superstar. I love all 6 of these eps equally - but the witches and Fairies of Sims 3 is the absolute best Sims characters ever to date. Horses in Sims 3 pets has to be my all time favorite pets ever in any Sims game - but not so much rest of that ep.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    Favorite base: Sims 2. Going from sims 1 to sims 2 with all different generations was pretty huge. Plus the in game story album was pretty nice too. All the background stories of the different townies made the town seem alive to me, and being able to do rotational play was a lot of fun. I actually still play sims 2 along with sims 4.

Least Favorite base: Sims 3. The open world was fun for a little bit until I ran into an issue where my sim came home at odd hours and building curfew meant she couldn't do much outside the home. Rotational gameplay was also a big no in sims 3. Not to mention EA took the story album out and put it outside the game, made it so difficult to make a story.

My favorite expansion pack: Makin' Magic was sims 1. Even sims 3 with the supernatural expansion pack failed to really capture the atmosphere of Makin' Magic with the carnival, rides, spooky music, paintings, dragons, and of course magic. It is also my biggest disappointment with sims 2, which pretty much skipped having a magical expansion pack (apartments does not count in my book).

Least favorite expansion pack: It's kind of a tie between Apartments from sims 2 and Showtime from sims 3. Apartments as I said earlier was disappointing, I only got it for the magical part, but in the end finding a witch was very difficult and then there just wasn't much to them.

Sims 3 showtime I didn't even buy nor had intentions of buying it, my husband bought it for me and installed it onto our computer as a surprise lol. Poor guy just didn't know my feelings on that particular expansion pack. To me showtime was kind of the beginning of all the online, social things that EA has implemented with sims, that I'm not really interested in.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Hrm.

Favorite base: Sims2.
    Least favorite: Sims3.
    Best EP: Seasons.
    Least EP: Into the future.
  • Options
    peno11peno11 Posts: 192 Member
    My most favourite base game is definitely The Sims 3. Yes it had its flaws, but the overall concept of open world is great for sandbox game and Create-a-Style added a lot customization options.
    On the other hand, The Sims 4 is my least favourite, because it’s one of the biggest step backs in the history of gaming industry. Seriously, taking out open world and CASt, the biggest new features of its predecessor, plus a whole life stage? There’s no excuse for that, sorry. And the emotions will not save that, because for me, it’s good concept but badly executed. Why? Because of how many times Sims go from one emotion to another. That feels unrealistic and insane. Seriously, if anyone around you went through so many emotional changes as Sims 4 Sims, wouldn’t you suggest him or her to go take mental therapy? And I rather not mention the more persistent scenario gameplay. Do I really need to be told what to do on date or party? Of course no! This is sandbox game, not RPG or anything like that!
    As for favourite EP, well, that’s hard, but I’ll say Unleashed and Pets, because dogs and cats and even horses (though I did not play much with them, as they took too much space) added a lot to the overall gameplay. But Seasons EPs are close second, with Vacations and Bon Voyage third, as I always loved going on family holidays with my Sims.
    My least favourite is World Adventures, because it brought up the RPG style gameplay to The Sims. Seriously, if I wanted to play this, I’d go and play Tomb Rider or any other game like this, I don’t need that in The Sims series. Not to mention it brought a trend of bringing more features like this to the whole series, as you can see in Sims 4.
  • Options
    PandaORosePandaORose Posts: 549 Member
    Favorite base and ep: TS1, TS2, TS3(to some extent); TS1 vacation and TS2 Bon Voyage (Tropical baby! Yaassss!)
    Least Favorite base and most disliked ep: TS4 (too limited); WhatwasEAthinkingwhencreatingthismessShowtime (Katy Perry? Seriously? Could have been executed better)
    2750512.gif~c200

• Options
    HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member
    I expected this to be a lot tougher, but my choices were actually pretty clear.

Base game

Favourite: TS4. TS2 is a very close second though. I would have thought 2 was my favourite, but I remember getting bored of the base game fairly quickly, and I found the environments really empty and depressing. I have yet to grow tired of TS4, and I've been playing it pretty consistently since launch which has never happened for me. From the original through to TS3 I've been one of those binge-play for three days and then never touch it again for months players. Plus the environments in TS4 are so alive and incredible! I just love them!

Least favourite: TS3. It was fun, but I'm glad it's time is over now.

Expansion

Favourite: Makin' Magic. I've always wished they'd just make a complete remake of this one. It was perfect in every way. *wistful sigh*

Least Favourite: Free Time. Ugh. All of those random calls at all hours, constant pop-ups, weirdos showing up unannounced to bother my Sims... It was the absolute worst. STOP HARASSING MY SIM JUST BECAUSE SHE WATCHED A MOVIE!! AAAAHH!!
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Favorite Base: TS2
    Least Favorite Base by far: TS4

Favorite Expansion is a tough one, It's between TS2 Open For Business and TS2 AND TS3 Seasons. I liked the Holiday Pack for TS2 with Santa and all of the fun stuff that came along with it, but I also loved TS3 Seasonal festivals. My Least Favorite Expansion would be anything to do with pets. I love them in real life, but I always found them to be more of an annoyance than anything else in my game.

Sorry, OP, my TS3 game was great and I had minimal bugs. My experience is literally the opposite of yours. Never used a mod or felt the need to until I played TS4, now I have more Mods than I can count just to make it into something I can tolerate and it still bores me.

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Favorite base game for me would be The Sims 4. I was very pleased with the choice of clothes we had, especially for the male sims. The outfits all look really nice.

My fav expansion pack would be Superstar in The Sims 1. Of course, I also like pets in The Sims 1 and 2.

I don't play The Sims 3 cuz the sims look ugly. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    edited April 2015
    I mostly agree with you.

My fav base games were TS2 and then TS4. My least fav for sure was TS3, it was very boring and had that beautiful world but the pudding faced sims and the boring gameplay between them in the base game was annoying. The fact that most of the community lots were rabbit holes was so annoying. I hated to see my sim disappear into a restaurant or a nightclub etc, sims 4 has many public lots like bars,nightclubs,museums,libraries, now with gtw even bakeries and shops, photo studio and a real workplace. We can even go to dates in the basegame already.

My most fav EP was Sims Superstar where you could even record your own songs in a record booth with a producer and meet Marilyn Monroe, record videoclips, be a fashion catwalk diva and sing in pubs, followed by OFB, Late Night and Bon Voyage closely. I am really enjoying Get to Work, it evens get a little from superstars with the fact that you have to go to your work lot and you are rated based in what you did while there and how your mood was and your skills and tasks, but the small magnolia promenade kinda annoyed me.

Ah, I love Sims 3 Supernatural! I thought the vampires in sims 3 were very well done and that the fairies, werewolves and all the ambience and ideas in Supernatural were good too, but I also (unlike you) loved Making Magic (the soundtrack alone was beautiful) and the gameplay in Making Magic was much better than Supernatural, even though the latter had better CAS for types of supernatural beings (fairies,werewolves,etc). Unlike you I also gave up on Sims 3 after Supernatural and Showtime.

Least fav World Adventures, I have so much hatred for this EP, I was hoping for an enjoying vacation experience, and I got a buggy game that broke the Basegame, had no content, but empty worlds with only those pyramids to explore, all empty without other interesting NPCs and sims to deal with, so lackluster. I didn't get the point of World Adventures, it was even more boring than what people complain now of the careers in get to work. You went into a pyramid and pushed a button and that was it. The worlds didn't even feel like the places they tried to depict, like China and Europe, Egypt, I travelled around and I know at least Europe and China they got very wrong in World Adventures. Island Paradise looks cool though, but I didn't play it, sounds better and what World Adventures could have been like. Second least liked was Generations, I liked some new things like you can give gifts and have an online profile, but it was so devoid of content imo, I never thought it had enough to be an EP.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Favorite base is sims 2. In the base the sims themselves were very animated an enjoyable at home and community lots.

Least favorite is sims 3. I liked the open world but the base was so boring. I did not care for how the sims looked nor were they as animated? At the shopping center they sat and stood around reading.

Fave EP was Making Magic.

I am currently enjoying sims 4.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    AndyBrainsAndyBrains Posts: 218 Member
    Favourite Base Game: The Sims 4 (probably just love the style) but I miss somethings like the completely open world in Sims 3 and the stories in the Sims 2.
    Least favourite? The Sims only because it was very plain, but all the expansions made it so much better.
    I really want another IKEA stuff pack, that's my favourite one of all time! Yes so amazing so so so amazing. :)
  • Options
    Sorry, I have to react on this. I see many people criticize Rabbit Holes, but what we’ve got instead in Sims 4? Nothing. That’s exactly what we’ve got. In Sims 4 your Sims simply walk out to nowhere. They don’t even use car or cab as they did in Sims 1 and 2, they just unrealistically walk out.
    Plus, in Sims 3 base game we had more non-Rabbit Holes community lots then we have in Sims 4 base game. In Sims 3 base game we had Library, Art Gallery, Pool, Gym, Graveyard (though admittedly, Mausoleum was Rabbit hole, but you did not need to go there), as well as Parks, Beaches and Fishing Spots (usually more than one in a world). In Sims 4 base game we only have Gym, Art Gallery, Bar and one park in one world. That doesn’t look like more than Sims 3 had. Not to mention in Sims 3 you could visit all those places with different Sims and still control them all, while in Sims 4 you have to choose just one Sim (or group of Sims) to control and leave the others to their free will. Not satisfying for me, who prefers to play big families and is control freak. So, sorry I don’t share your excitement over “no Rabbit Holes” when I see the reality of what we have now and what we had before.
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    peno11 wrote: »
    Sorry, I have to react on this. I see many people criticize Rabbit Holes, but what we’ve got instead in Sims 4? Nothing. That’s exactly what we’ve got. In Sims 4 your Sims simply walk out to nowhere. They don’t even use car or cab as they did in Sims 1 and 2, they just unrealistically walk out.
    Plus, in Sims 3 base game we had more non-Rabbit Holes community lots then we have in Sims 4 base game. In Sims 3 base game we had Library, Art Gallery, Pool, Gym, Graveyard (though admittedly, Mausoleum was Rabbit hole, but you did not need to go there), as well as Parks, Beaches and Fishing Spots (usually more than one in a world). In Sims 4 base game we only have Gym, Art Gallery, Bar and one park in one world. That doesn’t look like more than Sims 3 had. Not to mention in Sims 3 you could visit all those places with different Sims and still control them all, while in Sims 4 you have to choose just one Sim (or group of Sims) to control and leave the others to their free will. Not satisfying for me, who prefers to play big families and is control freak. So, sorry I don’t share your excitement over “no Rabbit Holes” when I see the reality of what we have now and what we had before.

we can throw parties in sims 4 inside the museum, at home, weddings in any venue, couldn't do that in sims 3 that I remember, not full parties in base game. Plus the bar was boring, they didn't even have a mixologist. It was like home. Sims 4 has fishing too and gardening.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Favourite base game: TS1 (that was the only game that I was so busy playing that I didn't think about EPs, granted once I got the EPs... I couldn't live without them. Nevertheless, I played the base game for years before I bought the EPs; I never was able to do that again, even with TS2.

Favourite game overall: TS2 (knowing how amazing the EPs and SPs make this game, I could never just play the base game)

Least favourite base (as well as overall) game: TS3 (currently tied with TS4) I honestly would be willing to give TS3 another chance if it meant prolonging my sims play in the future. I really love the TS3 world immensely, but I don't like the way the sims look and behave. I do think TS3 sims are more interesting than TS4 sims nowadays though... which is frightening. For TS4 I hate the lack of emotions and don't like the direction the developers are taking the game and have pretty much decided not to spend any more money on this game. That said, it's finals so I haven't been able to play the game, I am exploring GTW and may change my mind if I can fall in love with the sims I've created. :relaxed:

Favourite EP: soooo difficult! I guess it would be University for TS2? Or maybe Bon Voyage? Or OFB?... ack! I love *all* of the TS2 EPs and my game would be sorely lacking if even one were missing!

Oh... wait, I'll just go the safe route with TS1, my favourite EP is Superstar! The franchise seriously needs to bring back Studio Towne. They really blew an opportunity when they opted not to do that with TS3 Showtime.
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited April 2015
    As much as I liked TS3, I cannot lie, TS2's basegame still beats all imo. The stories within the families totally made me feel as if I were apart of them. The genetics features, the family trees, the unique drama within it, it still mesmerizes me to this day. And the stories felt so gosh darn relate-able to me. The Broke family reminded me of a friend's family, while the Romeo and Juliet families in Veronaville reminded me of many of my friends and myself as teens. And oh boy the Pleasant family lol that family defiantly reminded me of the neighbors by my parents house lol. And then to create your own sim family and their own part of these amazing stories and form a epic generation with them...I can't really explain it. As a family player, I guess you could say, TS2 was like the childhood dollhouse of my dreams when it was realased. TS1 did amaze me, but left me with a thousand questions that to this day my brother never answered lol. But with TS2, I finally had a full set of dolls unique in their own way (lifestages), an already amazing list of stories and yet still waiting for my own sims' story to be told along with their family tree to grow along with them.

My favorite Expansion pack...that's a tough one lol Freetime and Generations probably, tough call but in both TS2 and TS3 their the most used for me <3 their like peanut butter & jelly.

My least so far is..TS4 (please note this isn't a bash). So far as a family player it hasn't really added much for my game-play (besides maybe family trees). It feels like a single-sim game..very similar to that of TS1 (like scary close lol). Not to say that's bad, but it doesn't fit my gameplay. That said, CAS is very nice and I do spend a bit of time in there for random creation every now and then. However I'd wish they'd make a darn color wheel...as a very creative simmer...I feel really limited by their selections. Options may be the number one thing holding TS4 back imo.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    Eduardx123Eduardx123 Posts: 1,039 Member
    For me the best sims was TS3,openworld gameplay was simply vastly superior to what ts2 and ts4 had to offer.
  • Options
    SarahthewriterSarahthewriter Posts: 16 New Member
    I loved Sims 2- the base game and also the pets expansion. Plus, I'm not sure if it was a console only thing but my sims used to make lots of 'erotic smoothies' to hit on prospective suitors XD Also, Sims 3: Late Night because I liked being in the city and vampires. I also liked 3: World Adventures because I would take my sims on honeymoons overseas.
  • Options
    sparkietothemaxsparkietothemax Posts: 131 Member
    Favorite base game: Sims 3
    Least favorite: Sims 4
    Favorite Expansion: Sims 3 University
    Least favorite: Sims 3 Showtime, they could've added some of that stuff to patches or rename it to Sims 3 Late Night Part 2.
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    SimChao wrote: »
    My favorite base game is The Sims 4 believe it or not (moreso after the patch came out and fixed the problem of no pools). The main factors playing into this would be that it has the best Create-A-Sim out of any sims game and just the fact that its actually playable enough to be called a 'game' after the nightmarish TS3 era.
    But if I'm going to let nostalgia be a factor, it's TS1. That's probably because I was 10-11 years old when I first played it and everything is way more fun when you're a child.

(If you liked TS3, you might want to skip the next paragraph because I'm about to lay into it)

My least favorite was TS3. I hated that broken game, the immense frustration that it caused me with all its bugs and fun-sapping design flaws is unmatched by any game ever. I spent more time manually fixing the errors than I did playing the game. I swear I typed "resetsim *" more than I typed "rosebud" in TS1. Not to mention I literally couldn't bear playing it without mods (I never played any other sims game with mods). But I suffered through the whole era anyway because I just "have" to have all the latest Sims stuff./sigh

As for my favorite expansion... That's more difficult, but it would probably be TS2's Open For Business. It's still better than Get To Work IMO.
    My least favorite would be either Makin' Magic for TS1 (I had no use for it as a kid because I didn't like supernatural stuff) or Generations for TS3 (same reason, I never used most of the stuff).

I agree with you on Sims 3. If it weren't for the store, I would have lost interest in Sims 3 quickly. They were smart about that, and that's why the pumped content out. The base game was a mess and they knew it.

There was never a Sims game with so many problems, bugs and glitches...

however, I do think Sims 3, despite being premature for it's time (an open world) - brought us a lot of great content and features and gameplay ideas. It was the base game that did us in and made the rest non enjoyable at times.

Sims 3's Seasons is the best seasons by far. I'm sorry, but it makes the first one lack luster. The holidays, seasonal lot markers, the events, the decor, the visual beauty of the seasons themselves and their transitions and the realistic weather is just fabulous.

Showtime is another amazing EP. I do wish that they allowed "radio station" songs to be performance options for our Sims while they did our shows or sang, but I loved this EP with my life. It's the only EP in Sims 3 that really had me addicted to the game like Sims 2 OFB did to me.

All EP's were great when they're released because they offer us new stuff no matter what. So it's difficult to say you hate this one or that one. I can offer that I think Generations was a very stupid EP. I do think however, it was a filler because trailers for Generations and Pet's both surfaced before Generations was released, so I think Pet's was pushed back and Generations was "thrown" together if you will. It literally is the least enhancing EP to any series. yeah, it had cute stuff, but overall, mess.

Favorite Base: Sims 2
    Favorite EP: Sims 3 Seasons

Least Base: Sims 3
    Least EP: Generations
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    My favorite base game would have to be Sims 2. I can remember being totally blown away with the graphics and aging. My favorite expansion pack is Sims 2 Free Time. Love the hobbies, talent badges, cooking contests, model train set, ballet barre, llama board game. Just thinking about it makes me want to load the game. Think I will. :)

I don't have a least favorite base game. Love them all for different reasons.

Least favorite expansion pack is Into The Future. I maybe played that for a couple of hours but did enjoy some of the objects that came with it.
  • Options
    GaiaPuma wrote: »
    peno11 wrote: »

we can throw parties in sims 4 inside the museum, at home, weddings in any venue, couldn't do that in sims 3 that I remember, not full parties in base game. Plus the bar was boring, they didn't even have a mixologist. It was like home. Sims 4 has fishing too and gardening.

What has throwing parties to do with Rabbit Holes and non-Rabbit Holes lots? And yes, the bars in Sims 3 base game were dull, I’ll give you that. And I was not happy that we couldn’t have real weddings in Sims 3 base game, and I am happy we can in Sims 4 base game. I am not bashing Sims 4 where it doesn’t deserve the bashing, unlike the people who will bash Sims 3 even when there’s no reason to bash it. Don’t say you are one of them, but there definitely are people like that.
    But, really, fishing in Sims 4 is where I will criticize Sims 4, because in Sims 3 you could come to any water mass and throw your bite, while in Sims 4 you have to look for fishing place. So, for me, fishing is great example of where Sims 4 is restricted, while Sims 3 was not.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Favorite base game: Sims 3
    Least favorite: Sims 4

Favorite expansion: Supernatural
    Least favorite: World Adventures
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    HaitakaHaitaka Posts: 289 Member
    Favorite: TS3
    Least favorite: TS4
    tumblr_inline_nwa6au39531rd9om8_500.gif