Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SOLVED TOPIC, PLEASE CLOSE. Will any Sims game ever have a premade LGBT couple?

Comments

• lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    Oh no the big corporation is evil WELCOME TO LIFE

No they never will and here's why games can get banned in countries and it does cost EA money as well as loss of sales. Why would a money making machine care about people rights and feelings they care about earning and that's sad but it's life. Just be happy we got some LGBT representation in the University Trailer because that is as far as it goes. So i'd just like to say that I believe in the equal rights of the community but EA doesn't if it means that they will lose sales.
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    xBob18 wrote: »
    Probably because some homophobic idiots will go crazy and sue EA and blaaaahhh.

There's no basis to sue. Same sex marriage is legal in many states in the US and more will be joining the list. This is an American game, although it's sold world wide, so it's only natural that the situations in the game are more American, at least that's how I view it.

My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    I hope so, the premade heterosexual agenda keeps slapping me in the face!
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    windweaver wrote: »

There's no basis to sue. Same sex marriage is legal in many states in the US and more will be joining the list. This is an American game, although it's sold world wide, so it's only natural that the situations in the game are more American, at least that's how I view it.
    I'm guessing some homophobes can boycott the game for "exposing their children to something that's deemed immoral" (which is really a huge pile of crap, but what can you do). And it could raise the rating to 18+ if homosexuality is completely illegal in said country, which means less sales = less money.
    oh3cjs.jpg
    Gnarl_Lee wrote: »
    Sul5ul wrote: »

In civilized countries, homosexuality is (mainly) accepted and no longer seen as illicit.

source?

If you read the newspaper, watch the news, go to the movies, watch TV, search the web or come out from under any rocks you might be hiding in, you will have the source. lol. It's all over the place and is normal human behavior. Just b/c it wasn't socially acceptable doesn't mean there was anything wrong with it. And just to add emphasis, I am an over 60 year old women, who has been married to the same man for over 30 years. Just cause I'm not gay doesn't mean I don't support gays.

I'm guessing some homophobes can boycott the game for "exposing their children to something that's deemed immoral" (which is really a huge pile of crap, but what can you do). And it could raise the rating to 18+ if homosexuality is completely illegal in said country, which means less sales = less money.

Not stopped some EA titles before, it's only a small percentage of loss.
    colton147 wrote: »
    Most Middle Eastern countries do not allow homosexuality...

North Korea does not...

Russia doesn't.

Northern African countries, if I am not mistaken, don't.

I think Cuba does not accept homosexuality.

But how progressive over all are those countries? Are not most still living as if it's still in the 3rd century?

knazzer wrote: »

I don't really care if gay couples are featured or not, as I usually make all the townies myself and they're very diverse. But what I do know is that if parents (here) discover that there's homosexuality in the game, their children can kiss it goodbye.
    oh3cjs.jpg
    edited April 2015

I don't really care if gay couples are featured or not, as I usually make all the townies myself and they're very diverse. But what I do know is that if parents (here) discover that there's homosexuality in the game, their children can kiss it goodbye.

I feel sorry for those poor children and the parents for not understanding how damaging it can be. Sheltering children from real life making children feel it's wrong for same sex couples to exist.
  • LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    colton147 wrote: »
    Most Middle Eastern countries do not allow homosexuality...

North Korea does not...

Russia doesn't.

Northern African countries, if I am not mistaken, don't.

I think Cuba does not accept homosexuality.

But how progressive over all are those countries? Are not most still living as if it's still in the 3rd century?
    You'd be surprised. Many of those countries allow for freedoms that the enlightened west doesn't support. During my travels for the UN I've learned that it's either the one or the other, but it's never both. You really can have these weird situations where for instance women are seen as secondary citizens, but here... have free midwives and babycare. It's really unbalanced in that respect.
    Many countries also have what I like to call 'ugly draperies'. You walk past them and you go like 'Ugh, I don't want to be found died insaide of that house.'. It can very well be that once inside, the draperies make sense.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited April 2015
    The game doesn't need to be a platform. If this is such an issue, I'd rather EA just remove all pre-mades from the game than push the gay agenda. For those who state otherwise, my question is: did you buy the game solely because there is homosexuality in it and do you think that others buy this game solely because there is heterosexuality in it? If not--then this is a non-issue. If so, then perhaps there are other sociological or psychological issues that need to be dealt with outside of this video game.

I should add that I'm glad the game does allow for gay couples. My main/favourite playables in TS1 were gay, but in TS2 all my main playables are heterosexual. I don't want Maxis premades dictating sexual orientation for my neighbourhoods. I *like* that all my sims start out with a zero preference in TS2.

I feel sorry for those poor children and the parents for not understanding how damaging it can be. Sheltering children from real life making children feel it's wrong for same sex couples to exist.
    Which is exactly what I'm going through... except I'm not homophobic (thankfully, I wouldn't wanna end up close-minded like them).
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Soulcloud6Soulcloud6 Posts: 267 Member
    edited April 2015
    The game doesn't need to be a platform. If this is such an issue, I'd rather EA just remove all pre-mades from the game than push the gay agenda. For those who state otherwise, my question is: did you buy the game solely because there is homosexuality in it and do you think that others buy this game solely because there is heterosexuality in it? If not--then this is a non-issue. If so, then perhaps there are other sociological or psychological issues that need to be dealt with outside of this video game.
    I think a lot of gay people, myself included would not play this game if it didn't allow homosexual behavior, for me it was an outlet when I was a kid to express who I was, even if I was unable to be myself in the real world, it was a place where I could be who I felt I was, and explore and it made me feel like maybe it wasn't as wrong as people brainwashed me to believe. So to me at least, it was a issue.

I think heterosexuals will never be able to actually comprehend how something like that feels.
    Sometimes you want to simulate what you want from your future, if it lacks such a core part of what makes a person, it would be boring and not realistic.

I think it was back in the 1960's when it was said, "Everything is political"

I have never seen any credible evidence to refute that statement.

• Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    All Sims are literally Bisexuals, they can change their gender of attraction, although I agree that it is rather less diverse to only really include heterosexual couples, and open ones at that, it's your game and you can change it all you want, the games each give you that option, on one hand, LGBT couples aren't exactly that common, be happy that they even allow that in The Sims Series, I'm happy to have LGBT families in my game but it can suck to only have one sexuality type of pre-made Sims, I guess it's cause certain countries don't allow it? Despite it being in a video game and being something that has been accepted by people, including Teens whom the game is targeted at, I find it funny how they can be diverse in colour but not in sexuality. Anyway, you can still make your own Sims and develop their relationships to make them a couple, even though they aren't exactly offered as a default household, only rarely, you can still make your own, I think that's all that really matters.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

I think it was back in the 1960's when it was said, "Everything is political"

I have never seen any credible evidence to refute that statement.

I should add that I'm glad the game does allow for gay couples. My main/favourite playables in TS1 were gay, but in TS2 all my main playables are heterosexual. I don't want Maxis premades dictating sexual orientation for my neighbourhoods. I *like* that all my sims start out with a zero preference in TS2.

Added this to my original comment but reposting. I have no idea about the mechanics of the other games, but the way the game is set up in TS2 is non-political; all sims' orientation is set at zero.

I am pretty sure I read that a gay programmer coded homosexuality in one of Maxis' early games and the team shrugged and left it there. They don't need to use it to "educate" players... having it in the game is normalisation enough. Those who take issue with it, don't have to play their game with it. Those who need it to validate them, can do so... and for the rest of us who don't care either way, it's true to life simulation.

This video game is not the place for political agendas or teaching us what is "acceptable"--again, for those who are worked up about this: perhaps there are bigger issues which need addressing outside of the game. There is no reason why EA needs to have gay premade couples.

Frankly, if the game is going to be politicised and about representation, then I'd rather see a premade in a wheelchair than a premade gay couple :unamused:
  • MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    I think I need to put my words in perspective a little. I'm a lesbian married to a beautiful woman. We married in the first week marriage for gay-couples became possible in the Netherlands.
    Many of the couples in my game are gay, and my favorite couple in my game is made up out of a transsexual and a lesbian who are married and have adopted a kid.
    aanorton001_zps30hwnifl.png

I just don't think that Maxis should include gay couples on demand. Because that isn't supportive of anything. It's bending knee to an agenda.

Why is having a premade gay couple in the game "bending knee to an agenda" ? Why is it bending to an agenda if EA decided to create a premade gay couple? Why wouldn't it just be a representation of a way of life, as is the heterosexual couples in game?
    Mandylcd wrote: »
    I think I need to put my words in perspective a little. I'm a lesbian married to a beautiful woman. We married in the first week marriage for gay-couples became possible in the Netherlands.
    Many of the couples in my game are gay, and my favorite couple in my game is made up out of a transsexual and a lesbian who are married and have adopted a kid.

I just don't think that Maxis should include gay couples on demand. Because that isn't supportive of anything. It's bending knee to an agenda.

Why is having a premade gay couple in the game "bending knee to an agenda" ? Why is it bending to an agenda if EA decided to create a premade gay couple? Why wouldn't it just be a representation of a way of life, as is the heterosexual couples in game?

At the very start of that series of sentences I've this opening sentence.
    I just don't think that Maxis should include gay couples on demand.
    Now you see what I was talking about. I won't point out how easy that was.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Mandylcd wrote: »

Maybe it's because you can already have a family where both members are the same sex...and the only way that you can tell that they are gay is if the game tells you so. Here's the problem: The LGBT community wants to be accepted as a "normal" part of society, and most people don't really have an issue with it. For the most part, the overall attitude is "I don't care what you do in the privacy of your bedroom." But the caveat to that is "Just don't shove it in my face and demand that I support that choice."

But, the LGBT community demands exactly that: their sexual preference MUST be recognized as "normal sexual behavior"...and that's when the push-back starts. I don't know about you, but just walking down the street and seeing two women or two men walking together, I can't tell they're gay, just by looking, unless they're engaging in public displays of affection. But then, I don't often see heterosexual couples engaging in PDA's either, on an ordinary day.

I feel the same way about this issue as I do about having disabled Sims in the game. Having disabled Sims in the game only serves to promote stereotypes about disabled people and doesn't educate people on what it's really like to be disabled. It just makes people smug and tell themselves that EA promotes true diversity. Having openly LGBT people is the same; it only serves to promote stereotypes and makes certain people feel smug and tell themselves that EA promotes true diversity.

But, in the long run, it won't do jack to change people's attitudes about either disability or people with different sexual preferences.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited April 2015

The Dragon Age series has come under fire many, many times for having same-sex romances built into their stories. Since romances are a large part of the appeal, I really do admire them for digging in their heels regarding this. Their former lead writer (David Gaider) insisted on being inclusive which was awesome of him.

DAO had 2 straight romance options and two bi-sexual romance options.
    DA2 had 4 romance options who were basically Hawke-sexual.
    DAI had, oh, 1 straight female to romance, three straight males (though one would only do elves and another would do only elves and humans), 1 gay male, 1 gay female, 1 bi-sexual male and 1 bi-sexual female. I think I'm remembering them all.

The only thing that has hurt the sales of the games was DA2 being horribly rushed.

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    My point with the DA series is that being inclusive probably gained them sales, not lost them. This is one issue where EA has actually been pretty good.

As far as having a same-gender married couple in the premades, as it's been pointed out it's been done in the Sims 3, and the world did not explode. Most people didn't even notice.

Here's the way I look at the whole issue, though: I don't care. Furthermore, I don't like watching ANYONE make out or anything, no matter what the genders involved are. However, I don't care about people holding hands or showing loving gestures in public. My husband and I still hold hands or he'll put his arm around me everywhere we go including at school concerts and no one blinks an eye. No one should blink an eye when a same-sex couple does either, IMO. This is not an agenda -- it's just a very human thing to do. If someone has an issue with a couple doing ordinary gestures of affection, the issue is not with the couple, it's with the person.

• sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    Sul5ul wrote: »
    Comment removed as it did not relate to the Sims.

I've seen like 6 posts so far in this thread saying this....someone had a rough night, huh? LOL
    WLfAA9V.png
  • HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member

Except it isn’t just about the “gay agenda” (which is what? Being treated like human beings? We definitely shouldn’t promote THAT!), it’s about diversity in general. There has long been an outcry for more ethnically diverse premades as well.

Guess what? People who aren’t white straight cisgendered people play this game, and they want to see their lives represented too when they first open the game. Let's assume you're heterosexual for a second (big leap, right?). What do you see when you first open a Sims game? You see houses filled with various families. Some are single, some are not. Some have children, some do not. But every single one in Sims history except for maybe two or three households have featured a heterosexual relationship. The numbers are likely very similar for interracial couples and families. That matters, whether you can make your own same-sex couple for yourself or not. Because representation matters. And I get that you have been able to see yourself and/or your relationships represented in every book, movie, TV show, commercial, and so on since the beginning of time, so you don’t understand what it’s like to not be able to. You take it for granted.

And diversity doesn’t just mean opening doors to all people just for the sake of it. It’s about going out into communities that have been historically oppressed, disadvantaged, and marginalized and saying “this space is for you too.”

Think about Lupita Nyong'o’s speech after she won the Oscar for “Twelve Years a Slave”: “When I look down at this golden statue, may it remind me and every little child that no matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid.”

These were the words of a Mexican-born and Kenyan-raised woman of colour who clearly understood the power and necessity of representation. Between 1939 and 2014 only seven women of colour have ever won the award she did. You better believe there were girls out there who were seeing Lupita realizing her dreams, being celebrated for her talent, looking radiant and finally saw their own beauty and worth in a world that tells them that their dark skin and curly hair is undesirable; many children of various ethnicities finally hearing someone affirm that their dreams are valid even if they aren’t white Americans.

Just remember that when you are asking why having ethnically diverse or LGBTQ premades ship with the game is important, you are literally asking why these people even exist. You are asking why their lives even matter.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Oh, the things I would say to half of these replies if I knew I wouldn't get banned.

If a mod sees this, please close this thread -- the question I originally asked has been answered several times. I never intended for this to derail into a debate.

Except it isn’t just about the “gay agenda” (which is what? Being treated like human beings? We definitely shouldn’t promote THAT!), it’s about diversity in general. There has long been an outcry for more ethnically diverse premades as well.

Guess what? People who aren’t white straight cisgendered people play this game, and they want to see their lives represented too when they first open the game. Let's assume you're heterosexual for a second (big leap, right?). What do you see when you first open a Sims game? You see houses filled with various families. Some are single, some are not. Some have children, some do not. But every single one in Sims history except for maybe two or three households have featured a heterosexual relationship. The numbers are likely very similar for interracial couples and families. That matters, whether you can make your own same-sex couple for yourself or not. Because representation matters. And I get that you have been able to see yourself and/or your relationships represented in every book, movie, TV show, commercial, and so on since the beginning of time, so you don’t understand what it’s like to not be able to. You take it for granted.

And diversity doesn’t just mean opening doors to all people just for the sake of it. It’s about going out into communities that have been historically oppressed, disadvantaged, and marginalized and saying “this space is for you too.”

Think about Lupita Nyong'o’s speech after she won the Oscar for “Twelve Years a Slave”: “When I look down at this golden statue, may it remind me and every little child that no matter where you’re from, your dreams are valid.”

These were the words of a Mexican-born and Kenyan-raised woman of colour who clearly understood the power and necessity of representation. Between 1939 and 2014 only seven women of colour have ever won the award she did. You better believe there were girls out there who were seeing Lupita realizing her dreams, being celebrated for her talent, looking radiant and finally saw their own beauty and worth in a world that tells them that their dark skin and curly hair is undesirable; many children of various ethnicities finally hearing someone affirm that their dreams are valid even if they aren’t white Americans.

Just remember that when you are asking why having ethnically diverse or LGBTQ premades ship with the game is important, you are literally asking why these people even exist. You are asking why their lives even matter.

People get rewards for achieving something. Being gay or ethnic has nothing to do with that. Do nothing, and you'll get nothing. I have four different higher military decorations and a career decoration for my time with the UN. None of them where a sign that female homosexual women of color hailing from Indonesia but living in the Netherlands were finally getting represented. It was me doing stuff that asks something more from an individual than merely showing up for work.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top