Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ahhhh the Joys of Patching

Comments

• PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    WolfEyes wrote: »
    I'd like to know what determines what needs a patch.

Is it 10 players complaining? Is it 3 threads? I wonder if there is a criteria?

If 20 players are unhappy and post about it and 50 players are happy with it but just don't say anything is it patched for the 20?

I'm just curious and I'm just asking because I've seen a lot of players coming out of the woodwork today saying they are unhappy with the lessening of frequency.

I'm now wondering if the change to male pregnancy may have been made due to a legal advisor's advice, perhaps pertaining to the game's rating. In that respect, it makes sense to me. Even if it was due to a legal advisor and doesn't have anything to do with the rating, it's still a CYA kind of thing. I can't blame them for that.

I would think if it were a legal thing the frequency wouldn't have anything to do with it. It would be removed all together. If it were the rating it wouldn't be the frequency. It would be the content period.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member

If 20 players are unhappy and post about it and 50 players are happy with it but just don't say anything is it patched for the 20?

I'm just curious and I'm just asking because I've seen a lot of players coming out of the woodwork today saying they are unhappy with the lessening of frequency.

I'm now wondering if the change to male pregnancy may have been made due to a legal advisor's advice, perhaps pertaining to the game's rating. In that respect, it makes sense to me. Even if it was due to a legal advisor and doesn't have anything to do with the rating, it's still a CYA kind of thing. I can't blame them for that.
    It should've been a toggle. Nothing for everybody also isn't an answer.

A toggle isn't going to fix legal issues.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.

There is no doubt in my mind that all considered content that is run by a vast, in house legal department before the fact.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright

I would think if it were a legal thing the frequency wouldn't have anything to do with it. It would be removed all together. If it were the rating it wouldn't be the frequency. It would be the content period.

I wasn't talking about frequency. It was the fact that the male sim can no longer get pregnant by a female alien when trying for a baby that made me think of legalities and legal advisors. That and the effects a certain legal advisor had on Second Life a few years ago. The backlash was enormous and isn't something I'm likely to forget any time soon.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member

Mostly because they haven't had their alien kid being abducted and r.aped by his alien mother when she was running around r.aping every male Sim she could get her hands on.

Like I said before they should have implemented an on/off button for the people who don't want this to happen or make it like the Sims 2 abductions worked.
    He/Him
  • LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member

Mostly because they haven't had their alien kid being abducted and r.aped by his alien mother when she was running around r.aping every male Sim she could get her hands on.

Like I said before they should have implemented an on/off button for the people who don't want this to happen or make it like the Sims 2 abductions worked.
    I agree with that. It could've been so simple.

I wasn't talking about frequency. It was the fact that the male sim can no longer get pregnant by a female alien when trying for a baby that made me think of legalities and legal advisors. That and the effects a certain legal advisor had on Second Life a few years ago. The backlash was enormous and isn't something I'm likely to forget any time soon.

It's my understanding that SL is rated M for18 and over. I can't comment on their content because I don't play on line games.

I have no doubt that all Sims content gets a go ahead from legal before it's published.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited April 2015
    If I had to guess, alien abductions were probably tuned too high and that's why they scaled them back. Sometimes there are data entry errors that slip past everyone. I had a female sim abducted almost every single night until I moved her off of her home lot. That really doesn't seem as though it was working as intended.
    ejoslin wrote: »
    If I had to guess, alien abductions were probably tuned too high and that's why they scaled them back. Sometimes there are data entry errors that slip past everyone. I had a female sim abducted almost every single night until I moved her off of her home lot. That really doesn't seem as though it was working as intended.

If that were the case, tuned too high, wouldn't everyone have the same problem? I was waiting for my first abduction....never happened and from what I've seen today neither have a lot of other players.

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited April 2015

If that were the case, tuned too high, wouldn't everyone have the same problem? I was waiting for my first abduction....never happened and from what I've seen today neither have a lot of other players.

It may be tied to the science career. The nightly abductions started happening after she used the satellite to contact them.

Edit: I haven't seen a single illness yet for instance, but I bet if I start a doctor every other sims will be sick.

It's my understanding that SL is rated M for18 and over. I can't comment on their content because I don't play on line games.

I have no doubt that all Sims content gets a go ahead from legal before it's published.

No SL isn't for adults only and hasn't been for years. Especially not after they got rid of the teen grid and allowed kids on the adult grid. They are restricted though. SL isn't a game.
    16-17 years old you can access regions and search results that have a General maturity rating.
    13-15 years old, you can access Second Life through an affiliated organization and will be restricted to the private estate of that organization. Only avatars approved by that organization will be able to enter these estates. You can't use Second Life search or purchase items from the Marketplace.

I'm sure content does get passed through legal but things do change. I'm not saying this is definitely what happened. I'm just saying it's a possibility, however remote. We have no way of knowing what, if anything, changed.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.

It may be tied to the science career. The nightly abductions started happening after she used the satellite to contact them.

Edit: I haven't seen a single illness yet for instance, but I bet if I start a doctor every other sims will be sick.

I have a couple who one is a stay at home gardener and the other a policeman. My gardener wasn't well just a few minutes into the game. I just ignored it because nothing happens. It's like the "germy moodlet" in TS3.

No SL isn't for adults only and hasn't been for years. Especially not after they got rid of the teen grid and allowed kids on the adult grid. They are restricted though. SL isn't a game.
    16-17 years old you can access regions and search results that have a General maturity rating.
    13-15 years old, you can access Second Life through an affiliated organization and will be restricted to the private estate of that organization. Only avatars approved by that organization will be able to enter these estates. You can't use Second Life search or purchase items from the Marketplace.

I'm sure content does get passed through legal but things do change. I'm not saying this is definitely what happened. I'm just saying it's a possibility, however remote. We have no way of knowing what, if anything, changed.

It's not a game? What is it classified as? I don't know much about it because I looked at it and didn't like what I saw.

• ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member

I haven't had any abductions either.
    He/Him
  • Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member

It was suppose to be tied with the science career. I believe that was one of the descriptions before launch that science career could increase abductions. I could be wrong, feel free to correct me. :smile: That said before patch I was level 3 Scientist without any abductions. She is my geeky punk scientist sim whom I had a story in my head revolving aliens.

In sims 3 I never once got an abduction even after trying all the suggestions, I'm kind of hoping I won't have to go through all of that with sims 4 now. It would of been nice if they would of done the whole telescope thing like they did for sims 2.
    edited April 2015

It's not a game? What is it classified as? I don't know much about it because I looked at it and didn't like what I saw.

It is a 3d virtual world, same as Active Worlds which is now almost 20 years old. In a sense AW is the forerunner of SL. All of the content is created by the residents, except for the very basic avatar, clothing and objects you start out with that is provided by LL. There are no goals or anything that even remotely hits at a game. There is almost no limit as to what you can do in SL. While SL itself isn't a game you can play games in SL. It's where the game Slingo got it's start, among others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life#Applications

ETA: Info on Active Worlds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Worlds
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • natjadebabenatjadebabe Posts: 148 Member
    edited April 2015
    count yourselves lucky, my sims are yet to be abducted :| although i do have an alien boyfriend, but that's different! lol

It is a 3d virtual world, same as Active Worlds which is now almost 20 years old. In a sense AW is the forerunner of SL. All of the content is created by the residents, except for the very basic avatar, clothing and objects you start out with that is provided by LL. There are no goals or anything that even remotely hits at a game. There is almost no limit as to what you can do in SL. While SL itself isn't a game you can play games in SL. It's where the game Slingo got it's start, among others.

Thanks for the links and I do know something about it. A few years ago I researched it and took a tour. It just wasn't for me. I just never realized it wasn't actually called a game.

Clk1143 wrote: »

It was suppose to be tied with the science career. I believe that was one of the descriptions before launch that science career could increase abductions. I could be wrong, feel free to correct me. :smile: That said before patch I was level 3 Scientist without any abductions. She is my geeky punk scientist sim whom I had a story in my head revolving aliens.

In sims 3 I never once got an abduction even after trying all the suggestions, I'm kind of hoping I won't have to go through all of that with sims 4 now. It would of been nice if they would of done the whole telescope thing like they did for sims 2.

I can remember getting abducted once in TS3.....but I think we had the same complaints in TS3....the amount of abductions.

Thanks for the links and I do know something about it. A few years ago I researched it and took a tour. It just wasn't for me. I just never realized it wasn't actually called a game.

I've been a resident since 2004. A lot of what has occurred with SL over the years, I see happening now with the Sims in some ways. That's why I keep seeing correlations between the two even though SL isn't a game. Like the tug of war going on over toggles, toddlers and other Sims content/features. Same thing has occurred in SL many times. Toss in custom content and you have the IP battles that have been common in SL over user created content. The parallels can be fascinating at times.

Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    My sim didn't come back from the abduction with any woohoo moodlets, so why are people calling it sexual assault? You might put your thoughts in that place but that is just YOUR FAULT, not EAs or any other player. Aliens are not woohooing or force-woohooing anyone!
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    enkeli63 wrote: »
    My sim didn't come back from the abduction with any woohoo moodlets, so why are people calling it sexual assault? You might put your thoughts in that place but that is just YOUR FAULT, not EAs or any other player. Aliens are not woohooing or force-woohooing anyone!
    Not anymore they don't. The lone pollinator was nerfed.
  • SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    sarahzsmyl wrote: »
    IRK? Anyone with a garden is probably sick of them by now. They come in the mail. They're in the Dig locations...a pain when you need crystals for the Science Career. They're in the ponds. And, there's still 17 days left in April to deal with them! Would be better if they were with more than 10S each. I've been selling them like mad.

You know, it's funny, we've been talking about how we tuned this particular collection. We probably strayed too far towards the "easy to find" end of the difficulty scale. If we ever do it again, we will probably make it a little more difficult.

Good idea to make money out of the eggs though. I've seen a few players making whole Lots dedicated to showing off the hundreds of eggs they have collected. Some people are having a lot of fun with this one.
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg

I hear that manufactured outrage is becoming the thing to do now. If you can't find something wrong get upset over something.

I hear that manufactured outrage is becoming the thing to do now. If you can't find something wrong get upset over something.

I haven't played with aliens yet so I may be wrong but I haven't seen anyone mention woohoo moodlets in conjunction with abductions so I'm not sure there is supposed to be any woohoo moodlets. The sims gets abducted, into the rabbithole they go, and they come back either pregnant or not. I don't see where a woohoo moodlet would be needed.

I've always said some people just aren't happy unless they have something to bit... errr... gripe about. ;)
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.