Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bills are STILL too high, this is ridiculous now

Ive had previous issues with too high bills and was hoping this would be addressed by now. My sims bills are coming in at about $26k per week on a regular basis. She works 7 days a week and barely earns that much.

She is Chief of Staff at the hospital, earning around $3600 a day 4 days a week, she gets investments of about $2500 a week and she runs a store which nets about $4k profit each day that she runs it which are the 3 days a week that she isn't at the hospital .

The house has a net value of $184k (it has seriously devalued, she paid over $210k for it) , the store has a net value of $142k. She had $60k in her personal account until she paid this weeks bills, so that's now down to $34k, she has $46k in the store account.

By the time she has worked every single day of the week, then paid the bills she is netting around $2500 a week or less on an income of $28500, so that's a tax rate of something like 90%.

90% of her income goes in bills

Please EA please get the sums right because im sick of this

Comments

• ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    You forgot to include this guy in your post.

[img]https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Too-🐸🐸🐸🐸-High.jpg[/img]

I knew where you went with that, but it's funnier that the forums blocked it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Did you get in touch with @SimGuruGraham? I thought he was going to take a look at it.
  • JunoJuno Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2015
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe your store also contributes to your bills. So you're basically paying the bills for 2 houses. And if you're only using the store 3 times a work, you're probably taking a loss on the store.

I don't know why they didn't give us the option to let our stores run without us being on the lot. We could set store hours, and just let it run itself. This would actually give employees a good use, and make their skills more meaningful.
    :)
  • litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    Juno wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe your store also contributes to your bills. So you're basically paying the bills for 2 houses. And if you're only using the store 3 times a work, you're probably taking a loss on the store.

I don't know why they didn't give us the option to let our stores run without us being on the lot. We could set store hours, and just let it run itself. This would actually give employees a good use, and make their skills more meaningful.

This does seem like the most obvious issue I guess, but if that's the case then running a store isn't going to be viable because if she ran it 7 days a week, it wont change the bills and she wont earn much more than she does from working. She earns $3600 on the days at the hospital and about $4000 on the days in the store, and her wages will increase over time at the hospital anyway. The sums are clearly not right.
  • JunoJuno Posts: 35 Member
    edited April 2015
    ^

Yeah, as it stand right now, actually owning your own store isn't very viable unless you're selling high-value items, like paintings from a high skilled painter.

That's why I don't understand why they didn't give us the ability to open our stores while off the lot. Let our employees run our stores without us, they can restock and ring up customers while we aren't there (and will probably function more efficiently too). This way we have open our stores daily, even if we don't have the time to be there.
    :)
  • Mollypup9Mollypup9 Posts: 518 Member
    So what is a poor sim to do that has started up a small business and that is her ONLY source of income?

Holy cow! talk about set up to fail.

I'm not sure why stores are included in the household bills anyway. They weren't in OFB and it worked out just fine.

This makes retail less and less appealing which stinks because it was the main reason I was interested in GTW. (and aliens)

I tried it out for a sim week. My sim didn't do to bad (at least she didn't lose money, but she didn't make much either). If her bills are going to go considerably higher based on her shop and merchandise, she's toast.
  • mtwtfss71mtwtfss71 Posts: 173 Member
    Do you have stuff in your house inventory? That counts towards your bills as well.
  • wickedjr89wickedjr89 Posts: 1,777 Member
    Looking at what i've paid for bills for a ~ $20k house, that same percentage applied to a $210k house would only be about 1/2 of that...as mtwtfss71 said inventory stuff counts too though. I thought I was told that the stores did not count but from the sounds of it, they do. :/
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    Assimulo wrote: »
    Sounds like real life.

Lol, I'm assuming youre either a teen or a kid because (unless you are wealthy) I don't know of anyone who has a mortgage of $2800 a WEEK. $2800 a month is slightly more realistic, although still about double what a normal middle class family would pay. $2800 a week is just ridiculous especially for a house that is only worth roughly 210000.
  • RoyaiChaosRoyaiChaos Posts: 905 Member
    Schantal wrote: »
    Sounds like real life.

Lol, I'm assuming youre either a teen or a kid because (unless you are wealthy) I don't know of anyone who has a mortgage of $2800 a WEEK. $2800 a month is slightly more realistic, although still about double what a normal middle class family would pay. $2800 a week is just ridiculous especially for a house that is only worth roughly 210000.

In that case Sims really live for only a month or so. Sim time =/= real time.
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    ENolan wrote: »

Well I found an even more satisfying pic of him and fixed it.

• ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    ENolan wrote: »

Well I found an even more satisfying pic of him and fixed it.

Oh yeah! I forgot he does martial arts. Good find, Vlax! You get Fazbear Stars, too!
    Gold_Star.pngGold_Star.pngGold_Star.png
  • trintastictrintastic Posts: 323 Member
    I finally installed a mod for more reasonable bills. Maybe they're a bit too low now for my preference, but I'd rather cheat a little extra away than have to cheat it back after crazy high bills.
  • SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    Sounds like real life.

Lol, I'm assuming youre either a teen or a kid because (unless you are wealthy) I don't know of anyone who has a mortgage of $2800 a WEEK.

You obviously don't live in San Francisco. ;)
  • SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    Juno wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe your store also contributes to your bills. So you're basically paying the bills for 2 houses.

I don't think this is true. I'm watching this Sims Supply rags to riches series, where the store owner lives at her retail lot - an art gallery - full time. The store has gotten huge and is worth well over 100K now, but her bills (which she pays by phone) have been less than 200 each time.
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    Sounds like real life.

Lol, I'm assuming youre either a teen or a kid because (unless you are wealthy) I don't know of anyone who has a mortgage of $2800 a WEEK.

If you sell any house in san fran it automatically puts you in the top 1%.

I've wrote mortgages with higher monthly payments than that.

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited April 2015
    Sounds like real life.

No kidding. In RL, my rent is close to $1600. My Electric and gas has gone as high as $403 (that's the highest it's been within a year), and water hasn't gone over $60 (that only comes twice a month). I live in an oil and gas town. These prices are considered high compared to where I used to live.

I'm roughly looking at around $2,000 a month (give or take); not a week.

EDIT: I'm also not taxed on anything I own or create.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    Sounds like real life.

I was just going to post this very thing.
  • AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    edited April 2015
    Mortgage for my family is around 2800(payed monthly), there are also bills to pay off the car, internet 86 dollars, PG&E around 30 bucks, smud like 260 ?, then there's a bill for the garbage, phone bills 156 dollars a month, then factor in food expenses, and all the money that's put into hobbies and entertainment outside of the home... Oh and let's not forget dentist and doctor visits and sales tax. I'm sure I'm forgetting other things as well.

Living in general is not cheap, at least not in California and depending on your life style.

Currently my bills are around 1,600 a week at my current sims house. (main household). It's probably about the same size as the house I live in irl.

In the sims 4 you get charged by how much stuff you have in your home, household inventory, and your sim's personal inventory at the time the bills arrive (as well as how much electricity you use I think).

Though to be fair, sims tend to make more money in a day than a lot of people do in a month. Depending on play style of course.

The only time I find paying bills to be an issue is when a sim lives in a house beyond their means. That's just my experience though.

Also, from my understanding (of what Graham said on twitter, somewhere) sims are not billed for their retail lot. So buying a plot of land some where in the world and living at your store should be a lot cheaper than living on your home lot. At least in theory, I haven't tested it yet.

(At the OP:)
    Yes 26k a week sounds like waaay too much. My current sim's house is worth 79k or so (Granted I've only furnished the bottom of the two story house since I don't need to use the top portion I've built for now.). She pays about 1,700 a week. The jump from 79-> 210 should not be 24,300 simolians. That seems bugged.

Do you have a lot of collectibles or items in your inventories (household and personal)?

Also to give perspective, this is the house I built for my sim:
    zmfqfm.jpg I'm paying around 1,600 for this household. To me that's a lot more normal than what the OP is being force to pay for a house I imagine is probably similar in size, just more furnished.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Ive had previous issues with too high bills and was hoping this would be addressed by now. My sims bills are coming in at about $26k per week on a regular basis. She works 7 days a week and barely earns that much.

She is Chief of Staff at the hospital, earning around $3600 a day 4 days a week, she gets investments of about $2500 a week and she runs a store which nets about $4k profit each day that she runs it which are the 3 days a week that she isn't at the hospital .

The house has a net value of $184k (it has seriously devalued, she paid over $210k for it) , the store has a net value of $142k. She had $60k in her personal account until she paid this weeks bills, so that's now down to $34k, she has $46k in the store account.

By the time she has worked every single day of the week, then paid the bills she is netting around $2500 a week or less on an income of $28500, so that's a tax rate of something like 90%.

90% of her income goes in bills

Please EA please get the sums right because im sick of this

Too much reality...

https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    I wish the inventory stuff wasn't counted. A scientist sim needs to keep plenty of metals, crystals and plants in their inventories to make their serums and inventions, etc. It's ridiculous how much that raises her bills though! Why some collectibles are worth so much anyways?? This makes money never a challenge. Got 2800 in bills each week? Collect and breed frogs and you can pay the bills without ever working... aside from breeding the frogs. Breed the §100 varieties together and forget the rest.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    That must be some kind of bug. Yes, bills are high in the Sims 4, but my mansion has 22k and its worth 700k. Very odd, if I were you I'd just cheat to cover at least half of those bills since something is terribly off.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • midnitetechmidnitetech Posts: 283 Member
    I have the mod too, from MTS, as I was sick of this. They're totally unrealistic, and my poor Sim was broke!