Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Very Expensive

The Sims 4 and Sims 3 Expansion Packs are/were $40. That is alot in my opinion. I wouldn't buy it but I wont be able to sleep at night if I don't. The Base game was about 60-80 dollars depending on what edition you got. A whole game is usually $40 not just an expansion pack. It should be around 30 dollars not 40 and game packs should be $15. The Sims is an awesome game but maybe more people would buy it if I was a bit cheaper.

Comment What You Think A better price would be.

Comments

• MariskaAmyMariskaAmy Posts: 901 Member
    Honestly, I think the prices are OK. Most "whole games" are around 50-80 bucks, that is, games that are any good.
  • Alli-beagleAlli-beagle Posts: 111 Member
    One of my favourite games is 8 bucks it is however on Steam Early access. Not all good games are expensive. I too think that the prices are okay but they could be a bit lower.
    Steam very often has great deals, sadly you cant compare that to actual retail prices most of the time. Steam takes a lot of my money that way.. lol.
  • turnedintostoneturnedintostone Posts: 155 Member
    Unfortunately that's the way of most games from the bigger companies. Most are around $40-60 to buy (Sims, Dragon Age, Civ 5, Skyrim) when they first come out. It is what it is. It's probably not going to change. If anything it will go up because that's what it's done in the last 10-20 years. The cost of living and thus luxury items have gone up.

Wait until it goes on sale if you don't like the asking price. That's what a lot of people do with games anyways. If you want it when it first comes out you're paying that extra money to play it sooner. If you want it cheaper, you have to get it later. I know gamers that won't buy any games until they're 50% off and will wait months to years for a game for to go down to that price.
    Fact: a thing that is indisputably the case.

Opinion: a view or judgment formed about something; an estimation of the quality or worth of someone or something.

A fact is a specific detail that is true based on objective proof. An opinion is an interpretation, judgment, or belief.
  • Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited April 2015
    MariskaAmy wrote: »
    Honestly, I think the prices are OK. Most "whole games" are around 50-80 bucks, that is, games that are any good.

So why did TS4 cost so much?

ETA: just kidding, i don't think it's such a terrible game. but i have some very good steam games i got for 20, so it's really not true that most "good" games are that expensive.
    marcellala wrote: »

TS4, even though only base game, is a whole game in itself. Its not like you were unable to play before the expansion came out. Yes, when you tally up all the expansions that will be coming out it becomes really expensive, but thats a route more and more games are taking with their DLC and add-ons (which is what an expansion really is, it doesnt make your game whole, it adds things onto your already completely playable game).
    Basically, you dont "need" the expansions to enjoy the game, therefore sims 4 base game is a whole game that they can easily ask their retail price for.
  • Legobatman3609Legobatman3609 Posts: 604 Member
    Get to Work = WORTH every penny

I've had Get to Work since 3/30/15, and honestly I still haven't done everything. There is so much to do. You have...

3 IN DEPTH active careers
    Retail
    Aliens
    Photography
    Baking
    Sixam
    Over 500 new items and clothing

Compared to Sims 3 it is a HUGE improvement. Yes it could be better (Less bugs, and maybe a few new traits), but Get to Work is 100% worth it. I still haven't been to Sixam. I still haven't explored Retail a lot. I feel this will take me a while to finish 100%. Yes 40$ is a lot, but it is WORTH IT.
    E0iRxce.png

Please EA
  • BloudwedBloudwed Posts: 463 Member
    When these kind of debates occur I always ask several things: 1) For how many hours do you expect to be entertained? What is the hourely rate? 2) Hhow many hours do I have to work to earn the money to buy it?

In the case of Sims 4 and expansions the replayability and entertainment is huuuge! And I just have to work less than a day to buy it so it is totally worth it for me!
    AMB.jpg
  • PuffyPuffy Posts: 393 Member
    Very expensive indeed... There is no new lots for sims.. Such a small world lot for business. I hate this expansion pack.
  • IconicIconic Posts: 427 Member
    Basically, you dont "need" the expansions to enjoy the game, therefore sims 4 base game is a whole game that they can easily ask their retail price for.

Well, that would depend on whom you ask. A lot of my friends were breaking their necks for an expansion pack because they were bored with TS4 after a few months. Lord knows I was growing bored for awhile and it's only a matter of time before I get bored with TS4 and GTW. Fortunately, I still have TS1 and TS2 installed with all of the expansion packs, just in case.
    Yes, I am the one obsessed with Michael Myers.
    Origin ID: iRetr0
    tumblr_ph50sjUexV1r2aobgo3_540.gif

Well, that would depend on whom you ask. A lot of my friends were breaking their necks for an expansion pack because they were bored with TS4 after a few months. Lord knows I was growing bored for awhile and it's only a matter of time before I get bored with TS4 and GTW. Fortunately, I still have TS1 and TS2 installed with all of the expansion packs, just in case.

Ok, let me rephrase. You dont "need" the expansion to play the game as was intended. I mean, I could technically play vanilla WoW, but I wouldnt enjoy it, despite plenty people loving it, because it just doesnt offer things I personally enjoy. That however doesnt mean that no one can, nor does it mean its not a full game, despite plenty expansions that have been added on after vanilla.
  • PhuxionPhuxion Posts: 67 Member
    > @Alli-beagle said:
    > The Sims 4 and Sims 3 Expansion Packs are/were $40. That is alot in my opinion. I wouldn't buy it but I wont be able to sleep at night if I don't. The Base game was about 60-80 dollars depending on what edition you got. A whole game is usually $40 not just an expansion pack. It should be around 30 dollars not 40 and game packs should be $15. The Sims is an awesome game but maybe more people would buy it if I was a bit cheaper.
    >
    > Comment What You Think A better price would be.

New games retail $60. You say that a game is usually $40, but that's never the case unless the game is on sale which means it's more than likely not new at that point.

You also said The Sims 3 expansions were $40, so why is it a surprise that a Sims 4 expansion is also $40?

> @Alli-beagle said:
    > One of my favourite games is 8 bucks it is however on Steam Early access. Not all good games are expensive. I too think that the prices are okay but they could be a bit lower.

And I guarantee you that $8 game didn't have nearly the same development budget as The Sims 4 did, or spend as many years in development as TS4, or had 50 to 100 different employees working on it that you were having to pay 30k to 40k a year.

If a game costs $50 million dollars to make you can't get away with selling it for anything other than full price.

Video games aren't produce that you measure/weigh at a grocery store, ie "Oh this game only contains 18 ounces of gaming" they generally costs tens of millions of dollars to develop unless they're an indie title.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    yeah it would make sense sell it for less and more would buy, but that's between EA and the Outlets.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    marcellala wrote: »

TS4, even though only base game, is a whole game in itself. Its not like you were unable to play before the expansion came out. Yes, when you tally up all the expansions that will be coming out it becomes really expensive, but thats a route more and more games are taking with their DLC and add-ons (which is what an expansion really is, it doesnt make your game whole, it adds things onto your already completely playable game).

Did you think that i was being serious? My question was meant to imply that TS4 is not a "whole" game, since they took so much out XD

• SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    edited April 2015
    My favorite game ever was Nethack, which is free (open source). I played it on a regular basis for twenty years. Even though it's been over 11 years since an official update, I still played the "vanilla" game on a regular basis until about three years ago.

Can a text and ASCII graphics based adventure game compare to a fully graphical simulation like the Sims? In terms of visual impact, no. But in terms of gameplay, challenge, and ultimate satisfaction, for me, that free game blows any $40, $60, or $80 game out of the water.
    > @MasonGamer said:
    > yeah it would make sense sell it for less and more would buy

Not really.

Let's say they sell the game for $40 and 1 million people buy it or they release it at $20 and 2 million people buy it. Irregardless they still end up making $40 million off it.

Selling it for cheaper might mean you sell more copies but it doesn't mean you're going to be able to turn a profit off the product, so it doesn't always make financial sense to sell things for cheaper.

Aside from the game/expansion's budget they have to take into account that not everybody is going to buy the expansion. For instance if this game sold 2 million copies there's no way that all 2 million people who bought the game would buy the expansion no matter what price point you sell it at because you have people who don't ever want to buy updates for games as well as all the people who felt like they already got what they wanted out of The Sims 4 (or bored with it, or whatever) and have moved on to other games or forms of entertainment.

Stuff like Expansion Packs and DLC often times have to be sold for more than they're actually worth because only a certain percentage of people who bought the base product are going to buy the updates. There's no way to guarantee 100% attach rate for paid content. There's no way even guarantee a 50% attach rate really. The audience for expansions/dlc/updates is always going to be much smaller than people think/expect.
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Well, tell that to MMO people that pay 5 dollars on a sword. They charge per item in those games and I think is exorbitant! I think 30 euros/35dollars is kinda a fair price for an EP if it brings a lot for gameplay (some don't).
    > @GaiaPuma said:
    > Well, tell that to MMO people that pay 5 dollars on a sword. They charge per item in those games and I think is exorbitant! I think 30 euros/35dollars is kinda a fair price for an EP if it brings a lot for gameplay (some don't).

Yeah pretty much every MMO now has a cash store however that's the model they have to use unfortunately in order to keep the game afloat. World of Warcraft being the only exception really as it pulls in nearly a billion dollars a year from just subscriptions. No other MMO even comes remotely close to that though and as such nearly every MMO goes free to play within a year of release and introduces microtransactions in order to keep itself running.

The Sims 4 apparently started out as an online/MMO type game before being cut back to what is now.

Speaking of these things I think we're all forgetting that The Sims 4 at least doesn't have a Sims Store like The Sims 3 which basically functioned the same way that an MMO microtransation cash shop did/does. That thing was insane and it was very easy to spend way too much money on/in it. On the one hand it was nice how much content they were generating for it, however given how frequently and easily they seemed to be able to update the Sims Store the amount of money their fake currency cost to buy didn't really make sense. Part of the reason why the currency you buy in MMOs is expensive because the updates are so infrequent and/or few and far between that they kinda "need" to be expensive, but with something that updated as frequently as the Sims Store did it didn't really make any sense.