Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One of the stresses about sending your Sim to college....

Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,901 Member
edited April 2015 in The Sims (2000)
Which room do I chose??!

Computer?
No computer?
Desk?
Dresser?

The stresses!!!

Comments

• Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Computer and dresser ALWAYS. and choose a room by a cute Sim, or near the cafeteria ;)
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Computer. Then go into buy mode and move one of the dressers from another dorm room into the common area. That way you can lock the computer away so that the dorm mates won't use it and can use the dresser any time since the dorm mates won't touch that.

They can use the cafeteria tables to do assignments.
  • winterlocwinterloc Posts: 348 Member
    edited April 2015
    Hi Friendlyone20,
    When I send my sims off to college. I pack up their belongings like beds, dressers, computers, desks, chair etc. When they move in I clear out their chosen room of the things that are in it by placing those things in their backpack. Then I place their own things in the room for them to use. Then I lock the door to just my sim and no other sim can enter my sim's room. If there is a desk in the room I leave that and place their computer on it. It is a bit time consuming but it seems to make the transition better for my sims and they feel more at home with their own things.
    When they are graduating I back up their things and replace the originals back in the room for the next student.
    I have done around 21 sims this way and it always seems to work out fine for me.

May last set was 5 sims. That was the three Broke brothers and the Pleasant twins. I took the old Broke house and gave that to Dustin and placed it in Sim State University. It is now called the Broke Brother's Frat house. I then added an upstairs and had the Pleasant twins move in up there. So we did not stay at the dorms at that time. Well Lilith did till she became very good friends with her sister and the Broke brothers.

The Broke brothers Dustin and Beau are now married to each one of the twins. Dustin to Angela and Beau to Lilith the third brother married a rich sim and lives in a mansion. All three have children. 2 girls and 1 boy. At present I have 9 toddlers that are getting all potty trained and skills. One set is twins. All of these children will also go to college. The Broke children will all stay at the Broke Brother's frat house. With two additional students as I will have 5to6 of the nine stay there. The other three or four will also be placed together but not sure as to where yet.

Brandi remarried and her new hubby Finn Black wants a child. Not sure as Brandi is not having the same want. Plus her Grandchildren will be older then her child if she was to have one. So not sure about that.

Your Simmy Friend,
    Winterloc
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    I never bother moving them into a room specifically with a computer, because most of the dorms have a "study" area with computers so there isn't a lack of them. I usually try to pick the room that looks the biggest (even though they are pretty much equal, lol)

Another thing I do (if you are into cc), is put a daybed instead of a regular bed in the room, it looks much more realistic imo.

This one has always been my favorite.

daybed2sim.jpg
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,901 Member
    Computer and dresser ALWAYS. and choose a room by a cute Sim, or near the cafeteria ;)

Ok, I will keep that in mind. The room I put my Sim in was upstairs next to some dude who kept hanging out in her room. -_-

Seera1024 wrote: »
    Computer. Then go into buy mode and move one of the dressers from another dorm room into the common area. That way you can lock the computer away so that the dorm mates won't use it and can use the dresser any time since the dorm mates won't touch that.

Thank you for the tips. I will kept it in mind.

winterloc wrote: »
    Hi Friendlyone20,
    When I send my sims off to college. I pack up their belongings like beds, dressers, computers, desks, chair etc. When they move in I clear out their chosen room of the things that are in it by placing those things in their backpack. Then I place their own things in the room for them to use. Then I lock the door to just my sim and no other sim can enter my sim's room. If there is a desk in the room I leave that and place their computer on it. It is a bit time consuming but it seems to make the transition better for my sims and they feel more at home with their own things.
    When they are graduating I back up their things and replace the originals back in the room for the next student.
    I have done around 21 sims this way and it always seems to work out fine for me.

May last set was 5 sims. That was the three Broke brothers and the Pleasant twins. I took the old Broke house and gave that to Dustin and placed it in Sim State University. It is now called the Broke Brother's Frat house. I then added an upstairs and had the Pleasant twins move in up there. So we did not stay at the dorms at that time. Well Lilith did till she became very good friends with her sister and the Broke brothers.

The Broke brothers Dustin and Beau are now married to each one of the twins. Dustin to Angela and Beau to Lilith the third brother married a rich sim and lives in a mansion. All three have children. 2 girls and 1 boy. At present I have 9 toddlers that are getting all potty trained and skills. One set is twins. All of these children will also go to college. The Broke children will all stay at the Broke Brother's frat house. With two additional students as I will have 5to6 of the nine stay there. The other three or four will also be placed together but not sure as to where yet.

Brandi remarried and her new hubby Finn Black wants a child. Not sure as Brandi is not having the same want. Plus her Grandchildren will be older then her child if she was to have one. So not sure about that.

Your Simmy Friend,
    Winterloc

Thank you winterloc. The only problem is this Sim didn't have belongings with her because I got her from the 'send Sims to college' bin.

I never bother moving them into a room specifically with a computer, because most of the dorms have a "study" area with computers so there isn't a lack of them. I usually try to pick the room that looks the biggest (even though they are pretty much equal, lol)

Another thing I do (if you are into cc), is put a daybed instead of a regular bed in the room, it looks much more realistic imo.

daybed2sim.jpg

Thank you for the tips. I've never tried using CC in Sims 2. Maybe I will try it for the daybed.

Thank you all for your advice and tips. :)

• Scarlett2311Scarlett2311 Posts: 44 Member
    I choose base off the story line and personality of my sims. Social types get dressers. Academics and workaholics get computers. Musical type get stereos. Shy types get desks to do their homework. Sometimes, I get rid of what is in the room and put in stuff like craftables, easels, music instruments if they have the money. One jock type had a pinball machine.

Academics get placed near the study room or the door so they can get to class on time. Fortune sims who need to make a quick buck go the near cafeteria. Social types get placed near the door so they can greet people walking in and out the dorm. Shy sims get placed in the corner. I used this system for six graduation classes (average size of 4; smallest was 2; largest was 6). It may be formulaic but I try to keep the personalities and objects available diverse from one year to another. I also decorate the room with flowers, plants, and posters. I change the wall colors too if I have to.

Ok, I will keep that in mind. The room I put my Sim in was upstairs next to some dude who kept hanging out in her room. -_-

Thank you for the tips. I will kept it in mind.

Hi Friendlyone20,

Your Simmy Friend,
    Winterloc

Thank you winterloc. The only problem is this Sim didn't have belongings with her because I got her from the 'send Sims to college' bin.

daybed2sim.jpg

Thank you for the tips. I've never tried using CC in Sims 2. Maybe I will try it for the daybed.

Thank you all for your advice and tips. :)

You are welcome, I too love that daybed. I also like all the ideas everyone has posted here for university bound sims. Very interesting to see how other simmers do this.

Angela and Lilith where also from the college bin. Dustin had enough money from what his mom gave him and his brothers plus the old house for college, and all the furniture that was in the house. So he was able to share it round with the girls. Brandi got a large chunk of monies from insurance for Skip's death. She was able to buy a new house and all new furniture and have it moved to the old lot. The boys came home from college to the new house. Brandi meet Finn and married him and moved in to his house.

Skip the third son of Brandi married a rich sim that was a match made in heaven. He moved in with her. Dustin and Angela and Beau and Lilith stayed in the house Brandi bought. At this time it was just to much with four adults and two toddlers so Dustin and Angela moved out to another house. Lots of moving going on in my game.

They all work so it got kind of hectic and the nanny seemed to favor Truly Broke Dustin and Angela's daughter over Willow Broke Beau and Lilith's daughter. So it was best for them to move out.

Skip married Prada Rothchild, She comes from a line of Banking financial European family old money. Their son is named Zale as in Zale's jewelry corporation jewelry chain of stores. Prada from the fashion line. :)

My Sixteen other college Sims: Six are married and have children one couple had twins. I still have to marry off the other 10 and have children.
    Out of the nine new babies/toddlers that includes Cassandra and Don, Count and Countess Knight, Viceroy and Morita Frankenstein. These three couples have boys. Cassandra and Don have Grimlee, The Knights have Viscount Basil, the Frankenstein's have Brimley. the Potters have Lily. Hopefully Lily will have a brother James. The Strange family have the twins Constance and Marcus Jr.
    With that all said and I know it is a lot. I think by time I am done I will have something like nineteen kids going to college at one time. If not twenty as I have Nanny Fran Fine hooking up with Mortimer, Hopefully they will have a child before Morty meets the big Sim in the sky.

Then again I get back in the age business of being older/younger then grandma or grandpa's new family child. :)

Enjoy your college bound sims it is really fun and sometimes it gets a bit daunting. Just keep going and before you know they graduate.
    Thanks for reading my long story of game play.
    Your simmy friend,
    Winterloc

• Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I always go for the room with the computer first. I use a little of the sim's scholarship money to buy one of the cheap dressers and put it in the hallway so all future sims can use it when needed. After Free Time, I found that I had to have my sims put the "do not disturb" on their door because otherwise the other dormies would all crowd around and hog the computer. For some reason the EP sends out this attraction to all the non-played sims to come use it for their hobby browsing.
  • Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited April 2015

That's what I do. I also take the bathroom mirror. Actually, I take anything I want. >:)

EDIT: For some reason I thought you meant put the dresser in your dorm room. That's what I do.
    Post edited by Shadecaster101 on
  • GodlikeGodlike Posts: 305 Member
    I choose base off the story line and personality of my sims. Social types get dressers. Academics and workaholics get computers. Musical type get stereos. Shy types get desks to do their homework. Sometimes, I get rid of what is in the room and put in stuff like craftables, easels, music instruments if they have the money. One jock type had a pinball machine.

Academics get placed near the study room or the door so they can get to class on time. Fortune sims who need to make a quick buck go the near cafeteria. Social types get placed near the door so they can greet people walking in and out the dorm. Shy sims get placed in the corner. I used this system for six graduation classes (average size of 4; smallest was 2; largest was 6). It may be formulaic but I try to keep the personalities and objects available diverse from one year to another. I also decorate the room with flowers, plants, and posters. I change the wall colors too if I have to.

I do the very same thing! Currently I have a dorm full of 8 controlled Simmies and they're mostly Romance or a few are Popular and have ditto personality which can be such a struggle in terms of getting their studies done but hey, at least they manage to friend each other with relative ease :)
    Lift me up - Let me go
  • Mollypup9Mollypup9 Posts: 518 Member
    Before moving a sim into a dorm you can enter the dorm to edit it how you'd like. You can't change the build parts, but you can redecorate it to your heart's content.

I usually go into the dorm I want my sims to move into and redecorate. Some of the dorms it's better to have a desk in the room for assignments because it's so crowded in the cafeteria. Other dorms it's not necessary and you might want a few more recreational items. Once the rooms/dorm is redecorated how I want it for those sims I'm moving in.........I move them in. That way it doesn't take away from their student funds.

It also prevents me from having to look at exactly the same decor each time I have sims going off to college.
  • Scarlett2311Scarlett2311 Posts: 44 Member
    Godlike wrote: »

I do the very same thing! Currently I have a dorm full of 8 controlled Simmies and they're mostly Romance or a few are Popular and have ditto personality which can be such a struggle in terms of getting their studies done but hey, at least they manage to friend each other with relative ease :)
    Most of my sims end up with the knowledge or fortune aspirations. I tend to play quite conservatively, I need to break that habit. My first semester had a preppy Popular sim who I thought I was going to hate and she is one of my favorites. She ended up being the big sim on campus. She spent time jamming on the guitar with her two best friends and hanging out in her boyfriends dorm. He was the one with the pinball machine I mentioned earlier.

Since you mentioned romance aspirations, I have a suggestion for a Maxis premade dorm. It is the Boggs dorm in Academie Le tour. Upstairs, there is an empty room near the stairways located on the left side of the dorm. It looks like a mini closet, about 2x4 tiles I recall. I had a female Romance drama major in the graduation class who used that dorm. I put in the red lip sofa in that room. It was her private make out room ;)

Mollypup9 wrote: »
    Before moving a sim into a dorm you can enter the dorm to edit it how you'd like. You can't change the build parts, but you can redecorate it to your heart's content.

I usually go into the dorm I want my sims to move into and redecorate. Some of the dorms it's better to have a desk in the room for assignments because it's so crowded in the cafeteria. Other dorms it's not necessary and you might want a few more recreational items. Once the rooms/dorm is redecorated how I want it for those sims I'm moving in.........I move them in. That way it doesn't take away from their student funds.

It also prevents me from having to look at exactly the same decor each time I have sims going off to college.

*face palms* I keep forgetting you can decorate the dorms before you have sims enter them... Thanks.

Most of my sims end up with the knowledge or fortune aspirations. I tend to play quite conservatively, I need to break that habit. My first semester had a preppy Popular sim who I thought I was going to hate and she is one of my favorites. She ended up being the big sim on campus. She spent time jamming on the guitar with her two best friends and hanging out in her boyfriends dorm. He was the one with the pinball machine I mentioned earlier.

Since you mentioned romance aspirations, I have a suggestion for a Maxis premade dorm. It is the Boggs dorm in Academie Le tour. Upstairs, there is an empty room near the stairways located on the left side of the dorm. It looks like a mini closet, about 2x4 tiles I recall. I had a female Romance drama major in the graduation class who used that dorm. I put in the red lip sofa in that room. It was her private make out room ;)

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Yeah I use a dice on my Simmies when one gets born. In the past ALL my Sims would be either Family or Knowledge but things got boring so now I roll a dice when a new Sim gets born and depending on which number shows is what they'll be getting. Can be fun though but I always try to pair them appropriately when it comes down to breed but it can get troublesome; a Romance Sim and a Fortune one together. The Fortune one constantly making money to buy better beds only to have the Romance Sim using them for their affairs... :D
    Lift me up - Let me go
    GodLike,
    Dice what a great idea. I never thought of that one. Don Lothario as we know is a romance sim. For me his secondary is financial.

When I am needing to make a decision and can not make up my mind. I but it to chance. I use a paper bag with yes, no and a blank piece of paper. Then I ask my should I question. Whatever it comes up with I go with that. Lol
    GodLike,
    Dice what a great idea. I never thought of that one. Don Lothario as we know is a romance sim. For me his secondary is financial.

When I am needing to make a decision and can not make up my mind. I but it to chance. I use a paper bag with yes, no and a blank piece of paper. Then I ask my should I question. Whatever it comes up with I go with that. Lol

I'm glad to hear you like the idea! I even keep track of everything in a neat Excel sheet, their traits, career, job level. That awkward moment when you organize your Sim's lives better than your own... oops :p

Pleasure is what I'd get Don as secondary aspiration if I were to play with EAxis hoods again at some point. Currently I'm having way too much fun with my Old Town map I got off MTS.
    Lift me up - Let me go
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,901 Member
    I forgot too that I can decorate the dorm before they can move in. I will do that. And can someone please explain to me why my Sim is the only one paying bills while there are 9 other Sims living there being completely useless?
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    They don't pay bills, but the game does take into account that 9 other Sims are living there when deciding how much your Sims have to pay.
  • gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    I actually downloaded a randomizer app to my phone :D
    GodLike,

I'm glad to hear you like the idea! I even keep track of everything in a neat Excel sheet, their traits, career, job level. That awkward moment when you organize your Sim's lives better than your own... oops :p

Pleasure is what I'd get Don as secondary aspiration if I were to play with EAxis hoods again at some point. Currently I'm having way too much fun with my Old Town map I got off MTS.

Godlike,
    I never thought to do it as an excel sheet that is a great idea. I use to keep journals for all my sims games 1,2,3. Now it is just on bits of scrap paper lolo. I too like to play my customs hoods. I had The Sims City with all from sims 1 rebuilt and I had Mortimer and Bella as young adults and in college then married and with new baby Cassandra. I had all the houses and families. I also had The Sims by the Sea. I really like that as my sims lived on the ocean front.

Alas when I decided back in the day when windows 7 was new to upgrade my computer I lost all my sims by being in a hurry and not paying attention to what I was suppose to do when installing a new operation system. I was heart broken. Four years of simming down the drain. It has taken me a while to get my Sims 2 back where it should have been.

Then when Sims 3 came out I paid more attention to that game and played the other two on and off. I do not know at this point if I will ever add my two custom hoods back in. It took a while to build the houses from sims 1 into sims two. At present I am finally bringing Pleasant View to where I had it back then. This is really a lot of work trying to bring it back. I am getting there. I am on the last stages of it. However I am not sure if I will see the completion of my generations of sims. I do not want to over tax Pleasant View.

As it stands now I have something like 20 new babies coming. that is with all my created sims. So yes I do not want my game to explode lol. Incase it is to many sims in one neighborhood.

Your simmy friend,
    Winterloc

Godlike,
    I never thought to do it as an excel sheet that is a great idea. I use to keep journals for all my sims games 1,2,3. Now it is just on bits of scrap paper lolo. I too like to play my customs hoods. I had The Sims City with all from sims 1 rebuilt and I had Mortimer and Bella as young adults and in college then married and with new baby Cassandra. I had all the houses and families. I also had The Sims by the Sea. I really like that as my sims lived on the ocean front.

Alas when I decided back in the day when windows 7 was new to upgrade my computer I lost all my sims by being in a hurry and not paying attention to what I was suppose to do when installing a new operation system. I was heart broken. Four years of simming down the drain. It has taken me a while to get my Sims 2 back where it should have been.

Then when Sims 3 came out I paid more attention to that game and played the other two on and off. I do not know at this point if I will ever add my two custom hoods back in. It took a while to build the houses from sims 1 into sims two. At present I am finally bringing Pleasant View to where I had it back then. This is really a lot of work trying to bring it back. I am getting there. I am on the last stages of it. However I am not sure if I will see the completion of my generations of sims. I do not want to over tax Pleasant View.

As it stands now I have something like 20 new babies coming. that is with all my created sims. So yes I do not want my game to explode lol. Incase it is to many sims in one neighborhood.

Your simmy friend,
    Winterloc
    Over the years I kept many journals to keep track but would lose journals or they get full but an excel sheet does so far the trick really well. Tab for their aspiration, name, personality points, lifetime wish, who they're paired with, their college degree to name a couple of things... yep, like to keep 'em pretty organized :)

That would be such a fun-hood I guess! Love Mortimer and Bella, they're quite easily my favorite Maxis Sims. First thing I did with my Complete Collection handed out by EA was reunite Mortimer with Bella.

Nooooooo that's so heartbreaking :( I too lost good chunks of families over the years due many factors but mostly, in retrospect, how easily the game can be corrupted and as a result break down...

Never really quite got into TS3 but stuck with TS2 and an occasional play of TS1, probably why I probably only linger on this department of the entire forum...
    Lift me up - Let me go
    I am the same never really could get deep in to TS3, like 1 and 2. Me too seems like the only part of the forum I go too is here.

Thanks for the compassion of my game loss. I had it up to 4 and 5 generations.

My favorites Mortimer and Bella also from sims 1. I really miss her in sims 2. I know about adding her back. I should have done it the second time around when just installing the base game for sims 2. I tried bringing her back, back in the day but she kept disappearing on me. Then the game said she died on another lot. I never did add her back in.

My journals are full also. The thought of excel is really good. Love how you have it all broken down to who is what and with who and degrees. So very well organized.

I really liked my The Sims City. It took me back to the sims 1 without having to always get my fill of going into the game. I still played that as well but found myself more and more into sims 2.

With the addition of Bon Voyage to Sims 2. It gave me the feeling of being by the sea without having to actually go there. I loved that custom neighborhood Sims by the sea.
    My sims would go sunbath go swimming have a bon fire make the sand castles and watch the stars at night. It was really awesome. I even made some huts and some tent like houses. I tried to give it two things the Beach comer appearance and the love of living by the water. I had houses in too. I made all the views of the sea from the house with very large windows so that the view was also from inside the house.

My The Sims City I brought back the dead from sims 2 with a bunch of characters from sims one. I had the newbies Bob's Mother and Farther Betty's mother and farther and all the Goths. I brought back the Old town and Betty's mom had a Bakery. Sorry her first name escapes me.

It was lots of fun back then and lots of time consumed. Maybe some day before to long I will bring it all back in to my game.

My next go around with college students is going to be something like 21-22 Sim students. I have already made the arrangements for housing. I am not going to use the dorms this time round. I have three houses rebuilt and two of the houses will hold eight students each. On house will house five. I never have played it this big in Uni, I have done sixteen at time between two dorms.
    The houses are a bit pricey for college students but with that amount of students and all the scholarship money they should be fine.
    The three houses are way under 20 thousand so it should be ok.

Nice chatting with you Godlike and O. P. I hope your sims are enjoying Uni life, as it is suppose to be the best time of their life :)

Your simmy friend,
    Winterloc

Godlike,

Your simmy friend,
    Winterloc
    Over the years I kept many journals to keep track but would lose journals or they get full but an excel sheet does so far the trick really well. Tab for their aspiration, name, personality points, lifetime wish, who they're paired with, their college degree to name a couple of things... yep, like to keep 'em pretty organized :)

That would be such a fun-hood I guess! Love Mortimer and Bella, they're quite easily my favorite Maxis Sims. First thing I did with my Complete Collection handed out by EA was reunite Mortimer with Bella.

Nooooooo that's so heartbreaking :( I too lost good chunks of families over the years due many factors but mostly, in retrospect, how easily the game can be corrupted and as a result break down...

Never really quite got into TS3 but stuck with TS2 and an occasional play of TS1, probably why I probably only linger on this department of the entire forum...