Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I miss when we knew what was next..

OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
edited April 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I think this thread goes here... it's sort of an idea/feedback kind of thing... sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Am I the only one that misses when we opened our Sims 2 expansion packs and inside was a leaflet of the next expansion pack? Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Get To Work a lotttt; and I haven't even begun to come close to exploring it all.. but I don't know. I just really loved knowing.. and it was exciting... plus, it kind of helps us to be able to "plan" what we would like to do with our families, or houses, or things like that...

Now... EAxis (What? EA xis is now a "bad word"? :/) is just completely "hush,hush", on anything future content...and it's like.. Why the secrecy? I do like the "surprises", you know, but it's just like when we won't know about updates.. until almost time for release. I mean, I get that it's because if something happens and they have to fix it before they can release it and they have to push the date back... understandable.. but I just wish we could know what they were "thinking" and where they were wanting The Sims 4 to go.. in terms of Game-packs and Expansion packs. Iono, just my opinion.. again, I understand why they're not releasing information about what's to come... but I just wish there was some way they could confirm it a bit earlier, or something because they used to release information and it worked out okay.. so what changed?

Comments

• blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    I was just talking about this the other day - not long ago I found my H&M stuff pack from ts2 and inside it was a flyer for their upcoming expansion :/ and I remember so much more communication and excitement with past games.

I think what happened is that someone at EA imposed a policy of silence, I don't know why. It is sad and imo not a good move. The gurus are all over Twitter, but they can't talk about future content at all anymore. They made an announcement awhile back that they would no longer release info about their free content releases ahead of time either, and they've stuck to it. It's really sad. :(
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • domestictipudomestictipu Posts: 233 Member
    I think the right answer here is internet changed. I miss the leaflets too, but it was a different time back then. Now if there's any small word out about anything, there's a massive hunt around it, every little detail gets analyzed and in a way, I don't think that's good. People want to know everything right away and aren't as patient as they used to be, especially on the internet.
    wedding%2Bhobo.png
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    I miss at least more advance notice on what's next. I enjoyed the speculation before the release of TS4. Gotta love over-analysing, I guess.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited April 2015
    @blueasbutterfly - I think that EA is doing a much better job at communicating this time around than in Sims 3..though, I will say.. that this is the first time my game broke because of a patch. Though, I fixed it, it's weird.. however, the excitement for stuff has definitely gone down, hoping that changes. I know Sims 4 isn't as "real" as a lot of people would like, but Sims has always been cartoony; and I really like it and feel that Sims 4 has lots of potential; hope that with expansion packs it'll help those other Simmers come to love the game again. I know I'm enjoying the first expansion and I hope future expansion packs just help Sims 4 get better and better.

@domestictipu - Yeah, the internet has changed and come along ways.. everyone is about twitter, facebook, and tumblr; though I do love Tumblr... *hides*... I do miss those little surprises in our boxes.. just to get us even more excited about the game. :( and lol, yeah, once something is "found out" the rumors are spread like wildfire and everyone is talking about it.

But EA starves us from information, so of course, we hunt it like ravenous wolves. >:)

I guess I can be a little impatient, but it's just that I like to plan things.. for my Sim families.. because I'm nerdy like that. ;)
    edited April 2015
    I think the fact that they're saying nothing is having more negative effects than telling us something would. It is allowing speculation and frustration to run rampant, and I think it causes more disappointment when the announcement *is* made, only because people feel the disappointment more acutely when the release isn't what they wanted, whereas if there's more advanced notice, there is more happy anticipation/hype and it's easier to say, oh well, maybe next time. I don't know why they're continuing to do things this way and I hope they rethink it.

ETA @OneAdorkableGirl I actually don't remember much about ts3's release schedule, so I can't comment... I was so busy back then that I barely had time to breathe. But I agree with you that hype has gone down - the sims 4 wasn't received as well and there have been a lot of nasty bugs. That's why I think they need to step up their customer service and try to bring back the excitement and involve the players more, not less. I really am worried about how quiet the forum was right before gta's release. This isn't my game but I know a lot of people do love it and I'd hate to see it brought lower than it already has been by something so simple as poor PR.
    @blueasbutterfly - Couldn't agree more; I guess I should have been more clearer when I was talking about the communication thing. I just meant when it comes to them creating threads and asking for our feedback, and what not on a few things. However, the communication with what's to come could use more attention.

I think it would be helpful if they created a poll/thread and asked us what we would be interested in.. give us three choices of what they're planning to create...and see which one is more popular and even get some feedback on what we would like to see in the expansion pack...

But I guess it all comes down to the whole, "Well, if the most popular choice wins... the other Simmers will be upset who didn't vote for that; and then let's say something can't be added that was wanted... there's disappointment there too."

Either way, it's a lose/lose situation.. they cannot please everyone... though knowing sooner could be better so everyone can just know.. and wait for the next game pack, or expansion pack, if they're not interested in it...
    Yeah exactly. I feel like if I was waiting eagerly for news, and the next pack wasn't at all what I wanted, I'd feel like I had wasted my time and energy waiting for news and I'd just walk away, possibly even missing the next pack announcement. Especially true since the bugs and frustration are already causing a lot of defection from the fan club. It bugs me because it's so unnecessary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I think what happened is that someone at EA imposed a policy of silence, I don't know why. It is sad and imo not a good move. The gurus are all over Twitter, but they can't talk about future content at all anymore. They made an announcement awhile back that they would no longer release info about their free content releases ahead of time either, and they've stuck to it. It's really sad. :(
    Wasn't it from the days of Emperor Riccitellus? Isn't he gone, so what's keeping them from reversing this policy to regain goodwill with the gamers?

The feeling I get (and this is just a feeling) is that they have actually become more closed off since launching ts4. I mean they announced the first 3 months of extras, right? Then suddenly, they zipped their lips, and in spite of tons of player feedback telling them this isn't a good idea, it continues without any acknowledgement or statement as to why it is so. I really don't understand it.
  • MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    Yeah, I remember that! I miss it too.
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Wasn't it from the days of Emperor Riccitellus? Isn't he gone, so what's keeping them from reversing this policy to regain goodwill with the gamers?

The feeling I get (and this is just a feeling) is that they have actually become more closed off since launching ts4. I mean they announced the first 3 months of extras, right? Then suddenly, they zipped their lips, and in spite of tons of player feedback telling them this isn't a good idea, it continues without any acknowledgement or statement as to why it is so. I really don't understand it.
    If they revealed some vague plans, accepted the criticism from the backlash, and used it to change the plans, then they could get back in the good graces of gamers.

I have a feeling someone higher up can't take criticism...

I get the feeling that like a lot of the rest of us, they're tired of the endless barrage of meaningless negativism from people who can't accept that sims 4 isn't sims 3 with all it's expansion packs. Some criticism is ok and fun, but the whiners who've taken over most of the forum, have taken away the fun of hanging out at the forums for a lot of the rest of us who do enjoy sims 4.

It's like whenever they say something, some people will only be looking for a way to tear them into the ground over it.

edited April 2015
  • ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    @liliaeth thinking the game has major design issues & minor design quibbles has nothing to with us not realising TS4 is not TS3 with all it's expansions. Our problems stem from the fact that the sims is a game that is expected to offer sandbox style play and choices in how we play (within reason). There are things we expect and if EA did not wish to create that game then they shouldn't have called this TS4. They could've called it Sims Olympus or whatever. They wanted sims fans to buy it, well they should be willing to deliver sims fans the content we expect.
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited April 2015
    I honestly think they have become overwhelmed with the amount of people asking for toddlers. So they would rather have people guess what was coming rather than bashing them...
    I honestly think they have become overwhelmed with the amount of people asking for toddlers. So they would rather have people guess what was coming rather than bashing them...

That makes sense. I know the response or the reaction to wanting things and trying to keep up with this big community is probably very overwhelming for them as their team is not near as big. Though, they did have 100+ people working on Sims 4. They have moved a lot of people and plus, a lot of people have moved on. :'( So, I don't know... I wish they could have the "Forum team" or whatever be able to answer questions about future content...

It is strange how they were announcing future free content coming out and then in January it completely changed and became incredibly quiet. Stinks that they had to go this route. Just wish we knew why.
  • AndyBrainsAndyBrains Posts: 218 Member
    I don't really mind not knowing what is coming up next. What I do worry about is IF there will be something coming next. I just want to know that yes there will be more game packs and more expansion packs, and that they haven't given up. That's all. :smiley:
  • NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    I was just talking about this the other day - not long ago I found my H&M stuff pack from ts2 and inside it was a flyer for their upcoming expansion :/ and I remember so much more communication and excitement with past games.

I agree with you on that. I think the reason why they are not transparent anymore is because they have little good to offer (compare it to the Cities:Skylines that is huge and was completely transparent about what it would include and not include and how the future will probably look). Too many fans are skeptical about this series and, as I actually told my husband the other day, I think the silence is suppose to trick us into buying the games. My theory is that if they tell as little as possible, our hope never really dies. You wait and wait, then buy the game and get disappointed when you discover what the games actually includes. But then there is hope again that they will turn it into the right direction... I have felt this way since before the Sims 4 release. EA just didn't want to address what the game would actually include and only spoke of the new emotions and build mode. So we were left to imagine the rest and of course had hope and belief in the company that previously made such great games. I really dislike this tactic and actually felt offended by it during the release of the base game. This will not going to work in the long run. The information about GTW was also misleading and I now feel that I want my money back.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • MarianneSimmerMarianneSimmer Posts: 1,113 Member
    liliaeth wrote: »
    I get the feeling that like a lot of the rest of us, they're tired of the endless barrage of meaningless negativism .

I know I am.
  • zagbooruleszagboorules Posts: 474 Member
    I'm really keen to know what they bring out next, GTW hasn't even been out long lol. I just want to know if they put in some of the vital things that people asked for on the forums in the next - I'm guessing - GP or patch.