Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

PowerPC? Please? Pretty Please?

I think it's rediculous that only Intel Macs get to use The Sims 3! I play the game on my PC all the time, but I would like to try it on my iMac if only I could..

Comments

• jkfritcherjkfritcher Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Here is the secret, the Mac version is just running the Windows version of the game with a compatibility layer. Since Windows is Intel only, the Mac Sims is Intel only.
  • mutelightmutelight Posts: 468 Member
    edited June 2009
    The reason that it is only for Intel chipsets is because they share the same architecture as PCs so support and development is made a lot easier. Making the game run on an entirely different architecture would take a very long time and major overhauls to the code in the game, hence the reason it is only for Intel Macs.
  • ScraverXScraverX Posts: 762 New Member
    edited June 2009
    mutelight wrote:
    The reason that it is only for Intel chipsets is because they share the same architecture as PCs so support and development is made a lot easier. Making the game run on an entirely different architecture would take a very long time and major overhauls to the code in the game, hence the reason it is only for Intel Macs.

Which is why the Mac Ports of TS2 took so long, back then everything Mac was PowerPC.
  • EvetsEvets Posts: 30 New Member
    edited June 2009

Not going to happen. EA would need to dedicate an entire team to port the game over to the PPC architecture. Why would they do that for something that has no future in consumer computers, and is not being sold on the market today?

Besides, don't you want to run Snow Leopard? :mrgreen:
  • heidismilesheidismiles Posts: 502 New Member
    edited June 2009
    The technology is too old, dude. You need to upgrade to play.

Did you know we can PM other users?
    Click here to access your PM box. Then click "New Topic" to send a message :mrgreen:
    edited June 2009
    Evets wrote:

I'll have two heaped servings of Snow with my Leopard. Oh yes please, very much!
  • johnwaltermanjohnwalterman Posts: 624 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Evets wrote:
    Not going to happen. EA would need to dedicate an entire team to port the game over to the PPC architecture. Why would they do that for something that has no future in consumer computers, and is not being sold on the market today?

I've heard mixed rumors about PowerPC and Snow Leopard. But personally Leopard and Snow Leopard are too simlar for me to care much about the difference. Kind of like iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S.
  • SeshanSeshan Posts: 26 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Power PC is dead. Old. Obsolete. Outdated. They will not support it nor will most new applications.
  • EvetsEvets Posts: 30 New Member
    edited June 2009

Well, as to features, we'll see.

FYI, Schiller said publicly yesterday at WWDC that Snow Leopard will not run on PPC.
  • xHaleyx33xHaleyx33 Posts: 26 New Member
    edited June 2009
    This is what happened to me; fortunately my dad had an iMac that he traded for my old PowerPC..
    I'm guessing Sims wouldn't run very well on PowerPCs anyway, but it scared me for a minute when it wouldn't load on my computer! I hope you can get access to an Intel...(and make sure the graphics card is up-to-date, too)

Mac quality just lasts too long ! They actually outlast technology! -sigh-
  • johnwaltermanjohnwalterman Posts: 624 New Member
    edited June 2009
    xHaleyx33 wrote:
    This is what happened to me; fortunately my dad had an iMac that he traded for my old PowerPC..
    I'm guessing Sims wouldn't run very well on PowerPCs anyway, but it scared me for a minute when it wouldn't load on my computer! I hope you can get access to an Intel...(and make sure the graphics card is up-to-date, too)

I have a fairly new Windows PC (Intel), but I like my PPC Mac as well. I just have a bond with it...weird huh? But now that those nice new MacBook Pros are getting cheaper I might possibly look into getting one. Who knows?
    edited June 2009
    Alloy Body MacBook, yay!

13", 2.4Ghz C2D, 2GB 1067Mhz, Nvidia 9400M. It runs. It's not blazingly amazing but it's playable for me.

15" plus with the additional 9600 GT even better.
  • xHaleyx33xHaleyx33 Posts: 26 New Member
    edited June 2009
    xHaleyx33 wrote:

I have a fairly new Windows PC (Intel), but I like my PPC Mac as well. I just have a bond with it...weird huh? But now that those nice new MacBook Pros are getting cheaper I might possibly look into getting one. Who knows?

Haha yeah, nothing can break the bond between a man and his Mac! :mrgreen:
    I'm so impressed by mine, though. I used to have a fairly new Windows PC, probably got it in '04...well, it died last year. For about a year before it died it was SOO slow, and I only had Sims 2 for PC at that point so it was like torture trying to get the game to run. My PowerPC G4, however, which is the computer I use the most, has software on it that was installed in 2001, which I'm guessing is the year my dad got it. It's in perfect, brand-new condition and runs Leopard without any problems. Once you get Mac, you can never go back! :mrgreen:

And, if you're looking to pay less money for a great computer, I think a Mac mini is a good buy. When I first found out Sims 3 wouldn't work on my PPC, I looked up minis and they went as cheap as $500. Who knows :P

edited June 2009
    Running it on a mini would be iffy it's /max/ specs are the same as a /base/ 13" uni-body MacBook Pro.

As it can be a touch laggy even on the beefier spec 13", if it were me I'd save up the extra and get the 15" MBP with the 9400M + 9600 GT; or an iMac.