Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't they just...

Why doesn't Maxis just add features that mods offer the players? That way some people wouldn't need mods to make their game more enjoyable, I mean mods are really meant to add something new to the gameplay, I don't feel like there should be mods for a game to improve things like eating speed, that's something that should be improved by the developers in my opinion. I downloaded lots of mods for The Sims 3 and have downloaded quite a few for The Sims 4, all of which are mods that improve the gameplay.
Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.

Comments

• Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    > @Wasting_Night said:
    > - too hard, too expensive
    > - engine can't handle it
    > - #WeirderStories
    > - not tactile and intuitive
    > - not part of their "vision"
    >
    > Pick one.

People who probably have less experience than Maxis have made mods for free - no excuse.
    The engine can handle it - proven.
    I like weird stories but they're limiting weirdness by letting modders fix the errors of the game.
    Words.
    I don't their visions are the same as the buyer's then...
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited March 2015
    This is a viewpoint that's been asked often and if you look at some of the biggest games out there with huge mod support - Skyrim, World of Warcraft, Sims, etc. and you think "Why don't the devs just take the mods and put these all in!" - because that's just not how it works.

When you get certain mods that hit a fever pitch and fans raise it to the developers, you may see some of that get baked into the base game code. WoW did this a fair amount with mods that greatly adjusted/helped with certain aspects of the games. But by and large, mods are optional code changes made by independent people who don't have to worry about deadlines or even worrying about "If we put this mod in the game, is this gonna cause trouble?" train of thinking.

You may feel like the developers are "lazy" for failing to cook up some of the things the mod community does, but again - mod developers are free to do it on their own time as they please. A developer under a gaming company budget does what they are directed to do and if they're in a crunch or being expected to output large amounts of development related code, tackling some of the small things we'd like to see can only come in their personal time, which I suspect for many of them is NOT spent staring at more lines of code.

Edit: Note I'm not dismissing/excusing some of the glaring problems Maxis and other companies have left for modders to fix, but it's never a matter of "Why are they so lazy" as much as "What can and can't they do" during their development. It's why allowing mods is such a boon to games when possible because you empower your gaming audience to get creative on their own.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • SandunSandun Posts: 94 Member
    "But by and large, mods are optional code changes made by independent people who don't have to worry about deadlines or even worrying about "If we put this mod in the game, is this gonna cause trouble?" train of thinking."

You are right, Crackseed, mods are optional. Mods should add new options to a game, for everyone to use them at their own risk. But for TS4 I'm under the impression that a great deal of the mods that are presented by the modding community are not made to add new options, but to repair the may new bugs that every new patch has introduced to the game. I'm usually very careful with mods, since I do not always understand fully how to use them, but even I use mods in TS4. I wish I had downloaded the "no culling" mod in time. The game culled my entire town last night. And I can't blame mods, since I got them out of my game before I patched.
    As I understand, even CC has broken games after the last patch, although this iteration was designed to make it easier to add CC to the game.... So, so far I'm not very impressed by what the gaming company has given me. I start to confide more and more in the modding community to keep my game playable, in their free time and without being paid.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    Why doesn't Maxis just add features that mods offer the players? That way some people wouldn't need mods to make their game more enjoyable, I mean mods are really meant to add something new to the gameplay, I don't feel like there should be mods for a game to improve things like eating speed, that's something that should be improved by the developers in my opinion. I downloaded lots of mods for The Sims 3 and have downloaded quite a few for The Sims 4, all of which are mods that improve the gameplay.

I hate having to rely on mods for things.... they say they don't have time to do stuff but they don't even seem to do that much when they do something, they take shortcuts and shortcuts to do anything....and the whole engine excuse I don't buy it, TS2 engine had less tech so to speak and look where they were able to take the game... for me this seems more like "we are too lazy" or "we don't want to have to work"...
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Yeah, I think mods are supposed to make my game more enjoyable, not fix things.

Someone like nraas who had the capability of creating amazing mods - I'm never going to expect them to create something awesome as that.
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    In general, I always thought of mods as a way individuals can take a game they already love and tweak it to their own liking. In sims 4 mods take on a whole different meaning for me. In sims 4, for me, mods are used to fix things that are not working properly or to add things that should have been in the game from the start.
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »

Someone like nraas who had the capability of creating amazing mods - I'm never going to expect them to create something awesome as that.

I would cry tears of joy if by some miracle nraas decided to come back for sims 4 lol
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    - too hard, too expensive
    - engine can't handle it
    - #WeirderStories
    - not tactile and intuitive
    - not part of their "vision"

Pick one.

I can only pick one? Seems like they're using all but the last one, which I suspect is really the real reason.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    I am mad I have to use mods to rule and control my way in game and away from their vision. I am even madder they patched the game and broke many mods (not custom content I can live without it).

• JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    You're asking the devs to properly code the game without the help of the modders? When they can't even code smarter sims themselves?

Oh you silly, OP :)

If there were modders who can finally grant miracles for this flop game, I'd ask them to make the following:
    1. Remove these awful walkstyles
    2. Remove emotions and code working reactions instead
    3. Give the sims some sort of a skeleton rig map to remove their over-the-top expressions that makes all the sims look the same as if they don't have any facial bone structure
  • TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    LaAbby wrote: »

I would cry tears of joy if by some miracle nraas decided to come back for sims 4 lol

I would be willing to pay more than the game prices for corresponding Twallan mods. And I am one who stays away from mods usually as I don't understand programming and don't have the ability to see if I can trust a mod to not mess with the game, so I only trusts the devs. Until TS3 where I ended up not trusting EA, but knew I could trust Twallan to fix the messes they made :wink:
  • SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    The devs can only do what the higher ups allow them to do.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member

It's funny though that @Wasting_Night makes fun of sims 4 on that subject when sims 3 couldn't even run well without Twallan's mods.
    It's one thing to enjoy modding to your content to be happy, it's another when you NEED them to be able to even play.

You do know its the SAME people who made Sims3...that you mention was a coding nightmare...

are the SAME people who made Sims4...right?

:*

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • DuruialDuruial Posts: 77 Member
    I think Zeldagirl may hit on an important consideration. One person's improvement is another's reduction. Your eating mod, for example, that may make you happier with how it speeds up meals may not be appreciated by others, including myself. Sometimes, I like the long family meals on a Sunday morning, with everyone chatting at the table, and other times, I just cancel the conversation cause someone has to get to work quickly.

Now, the new patch reduced idle time for eating a bit, but part of the question when it comes to mods like this, that are ultimately worked into the base game, is 'Does this further the enjoyment for a vast majority of the player-base?' I for one was generally fine with cancelling other activities to speed up meals when I needed too, and shorter meal times may not be an improvement in game-play.

Another example is in Jimil's post above. The first two issues are things he would like to see changed, and if a mod was available, I am sure he would use it. However, those are both things that are fairly central to my experience in the Sims 4. I like the emotions and the walk styles in the game, so I would not want it worked into the main game. Do the developers take the emotions out if a mod does so, or do they just leave it up to the player to run a mod changing the base game? I prefer the latter.

In short, I use a number of mods on my own game in order to improve my experience, but I would not necessarily want them worked into the base game.
    Carthago delenda est
  • CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Sandun wrote: »
    "But by and large, mods are optional code changes made by independent people who don't have to worry about deadlines or even worrying about "If we put this mod in the game, is this gonna cause trouble?" train of thinking."

You are right, Crackseed, mods are optional. Mods should add new options to a game, for everyone to use them at their own risk. But for TS4 I'm under the impression that a great deal of the mods that are presented by the modding community are not made to add new options, but to repair the may new bugs that every new patch has introduced to the game. I'm usually very careful with mods, since I do not always understand fully how to use them, but even I use mods in TS4. I wish I had downloaded the "no culling" mod in time. The game culled my entire town last night. And I can't blame mods, since I got them out of my game before I patched.
    As I understand, even CC has broken games after the last patch, although this iteration was designed to make it easier to add CC to the game.... So, so far I'm not very impressed by what the gaming company has given me. I start to confide more and more in the modding community to keep my game playable, in their free time and without being paid.

This has always been a struggle for Maxis.

Sims 3 was much the same, if not worse as I understand that many of the issues I grumbled about for the entirety of the game's cycle were fixed by independent modders, not the developers.

I truly hope Sims 4 will improve on that, but - far too early to call.

Regardless, modders are a desperately needed part of the game's life these days IMO. So much they can and will do that the developers simply cannot/will not.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • MarianneSimmerMarianneSimmer Posts: 1,113 Member
    Mods exist to provide very specific tweaks that not everybody wants, likes or even would suit the game rating.

Teen pregnancy or censorship removal, for instance...

I have a mod that makes skills 4X faster because I'm lazy when it comes to skilling. But most people would probably not enjoy that a couple of days of cooking for your family helps you max out BOTH cooking skills.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Typically mods change the game, and some come in different configurations. For example I have a mod that speeds up soil building. That mod comes in several different "flavors" and each one has a different effect on the game. The problem with developers adding in the content that's modded is that not everybody uses mods, and people who do don't always use the same mods. So that would have a direct effect on how many players play the game.

Bug fixes however should be handled by the developers, but the majority of the time modders can get a bug fixed a lot faster than EA can. Simply because of how easy it is to share content online, whereas EA generally only releases one patch per month.
  • mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    Because mods are too restricting and they want people to have a game that is as open as possible.
  • RoyaiChaosRoyaiChaos Posts: 905 Member
    I've noticed very few mods that everyone uses, and they have made several mods irrelevant with updates in their game. For example, faster eating and fixing the bar glitch.

I honestly can't think of a mod that everyone would want to be added into the game though.
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    RoyaiChaos wrote: »
    I've noticed very few mods that everyone uses, and they have made several mods irrelevant with updates in their game. For example, faster eating and fixing the bar glitch.

I honestly can't think of a mod that everyone would want to be added into the game though.
    You mean like the 'no cull' mod, so you don't loose family members from other houses. ;)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Not everyone finds mods and/or CC something they even want in their game - never mind the fact that they are often very unstable. A patch can render them useless or worse make them do things nobody likes. Mods are just that something to change the way something works in the game because the modder wanted it in their game. We have no choice but have what Maxis puts in the game - so often someone creating a mod to remove certain things or change how it is used is something up to the individual - and not up to the game designers. I have often found many of the mods many claim to better their game - not something I actually want. I am rarely reduced to needing mods in my game. Most issues i am usually able to fix with in the game itself without ever depending on a mod. My fix is never changed by a patch - where mods often fail or do weird things after a patch. So why would Maxis want that in their game to start with?

If you want mods - i suggest maybe at the end of a game being produced when no more patches are coming out is a good time to add the ones you want seeing as long as no more patches come out - the mod usually won't break any more and create other issues.

As long as there have been games their have been modders creating thing - play style and changes to all kinds of games - it is not just a EA or Maxis game - but what it comes down to - is a mod that changes game play is just that - and usually only something certain people like in that particular game. We do not have the right to force mods on everybody just because you think something is great - not everyone will agree. I cringe when players say things like adding mods every one likes - when often i do not like that change in the game at all. The most a player can truthfully say is " a mod I like - not everybody". Speak for yourself. Also making a point of it being free - means squat. That mod could not exist if not for the fact the game exists - so if you make a mod and share it - is great, but always expect it to be free seeing the modder did not make the game just revamped how one part of the game was actually made.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• RoyaiChaosRoyaiChaos Posts: 905 Member
    RoyaiChaos wrote: »

You mean like the 'no cull' mod, so you don't loose family members from other houses. ;)

I believe that family and friends being culled is due to a bug, and the no cull mod doesn't actually fix the bug. I can also see no culling being an issue for simmers that have lower-end computers which is probably why EA is hesitant to remove it.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    For culling it seems that every sims base game had it low and as the games grew it was raised. it is not a bug - but a setting programmed in the game that is below the point of a game becoming unstable on some pcs. It is always way lower than I believe it should be set. I recall Sims 1 was so low that when I put 8 sims in all 10 houses the game started out with - I would lose sims right in the house. But eventually that number gets raised. Like Sims 2 it was actually raised into well over a thousand but started out around 120 I believe it was. But not a bug - it is intentional and the best way to get it programmed higher is keep complaining about it being so low by the majority of players. Unfortunately lower end pcs will eventually not have a very stable game though.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....