Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

False advertisement!

Comments

• kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited March 2015
    Mintiee wrote: »
    I agree with you but in this case, because it's something we could so reasonably assume to be in the game, it just seems like they're outright lying more than "creatively advertising". I mean we're so close to having it in the game, it may as well be in there and it's something a lot of people expected to have and really wanted. To a lot of people it's part and parcel of having a bakery. So making it seem like it is in there when it's not is going to tread on more toes.

Imagine if they did that with toddlers, lol. Staged it to look like there were toddlers in the game but they were actually cardboard cut-outs or something. I'd pay to see the reaction that would get them.

This must be a cultural thing. Because where I'm from, a bakery is somewhere where you buy bread (and maybe a carton of iced coffee and a sausage roll) and then you go home. So GTW delivers the authentic bakery experience for me.

If you want to sit down and eat pastries and drink coffee? You go to a cafe.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Mintiee wrote: »
    I agree with you but in this case, because it's something we could so reasonably assume to be in the game, it just seems like they're outright lying more than "creatively advertising". I mean we're so close to having it in the game, it may as well be in there and it's something a lot of people expected to have and really wanted. To a lot of people it's part and parcel of having a bakery. So making it seem like it is in there when it's not is going to tread on more toes.

Imagine if they did that with toddlers, lol. Staged it to look like there were toddlers in the game but they were actually cardboard cut-outs or something. I'd pay to see the reaction that would get them.

This must be a cultural thing. Because where I'm from, a bakery is somewhere where you buy bread (and maybe a carton of iced coffee and a sausage roll) and then you go home. So GTW delivers the authentic bakery experience for me.

If you want to sit down and eat pastries and drink coffee? You go to a cafe.

I kind of agree with the differentiation you have there. Although, some places bakeries do have a few seats for customers. So I can see putting some in your Sims shop, I probably will for decor. If customers stay, they stay, if not, oh well. *shrugs
    At least if I don't have room for them I don't have to worry about it LOL!

It's not a sit down diner or restaurant so to me it doesn't matter if they buy and go. Might be a nice add-on in a later EP or something for those that want the full on experience though I guess.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Typical of EA put the game out without testing it.
  • ericaduhericaduh Posts: 670 Member
    JoBass24us wrote: »

I don't call this:

sims-4-get-to-work-expansion-bakery.jpg

Or this:

TS4_477_BUSINESS_01_002.png

People leading themselves to conclusions. Ea certainly gave the illusion/portrayal of customers being serviced while they sat and ate at a business. It's EA's fault people expected it because they didn't do a disclaimer on it

Yes! These photos led me to believe we'd have a eat-in/sit down _whateveryouwanttocallit_. There are plenty of NPCs there, and they're all sitting/eating/ordering. You also see Sims at the register (doing what exactly, if they don't work for check outs?).

I guess I'll just wait and see.
    my simblr - http://ericalovessims.tumblr.com
    origin id & other social networks: ericaduh
  • IconicIconic Posts: 427 Member
    I wouldn't put it past them to populate shops in the trailer and screenshots to hype us and make us think the EP is worth getting. However, like I said yesterday, I think their main intention was to just make the game look alive. I mean, if you saw screenshots of basically dead shops or customers buying and running, it wouldn't really be appealing.

However, if they really did think that little, and I am drastically understating it by calling it little, detail would get past us, they shouldn't have released gameplay videos or allow beta copies to be played. I know more about this expansion pack pre-launch than I ever have with past expansion packs.
    Yes, I am the one obsessed with Michael Myers.
    Origin ID: iRetr0
    tumblr_ph50sjUexV1r2aobgo3_540.gif
  • MikeAM91MikeAM91 Posts: 165 Member
    EA has VERY deceptive marketing for GTW! They crossed a line with some of these screenshots and videos with bakeries/cafes full of people sitting, eating and seeming to pay at the cash register. They're just asking for a lawsuit! This is a good example of why EA is one of the most hated companies in America!!
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    My in-laws used to have a bakery. It was a family business and they ran it for forty years. When I married into the family, I sometimes worked for them. They always had a dining area where customers could come in, order their doughnuts or whatever, and sit and drink a cup of coffee with their doughnut/sweet roll.

I usually ate my breakfast there...and breakfast was usually a doughnut or a sweet roll.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
    MikeAM91 wrote: »
    EA has VERY deceptive marketing for GTW! They crossed a line with some of these screenshots and videos with bakeries/cafes full of people sitting, eating and seeming to pay at the cash register. They're just asking for a lawsuit! This is a good example of why EA is one of the most hated companies in America!!

EA is deceptive in their marketing for EVERYTHING, not just The Sims franchise. EA is just as bad as Activision, to be honest.
  • thesims3boythesims3boy Posts: 18,046 Member
    This is a GAME if you don't like it don't play it.

They're gonna eat you alive after this comment. Grabbing popcorn now.
    Fireproxxy wrote: »
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    acee313 wrote: »
    Why does people call this false advertisement? It's not false advertisement, it's exactly what can happen. Has anyone seriously thought that they used ACTIVE SIMS, because NEW FLASH, your active sims will sit down and eat in bakeries.

No they never advertised about your Sims as buyers, it's not focus of this EP.

The point is that people are calling it fake advertisement, when it isn't.

Yes it is, in both 3 trailers, launch, the retail one and the first GTW trailer there is a bakery showing with sims eating in the tables! In the launch trailer they even put a sim playing guitar there, pretending it's a stage!

It's outrageous and I hope they see this thread for people aren't happy, this needs to stop.

Have you thought that they were ACTIVE SIMS, if it wasn't real gameplay they would put a disclaimer at the bottom. Your active sims will sit down at eat, there is a difference between false advertisement and deception.

-.-

If a marketing trailer decepts people, if it misleads them, then it's fake advertisement for the real product won't be like so.

Have you thought that regardless of how they make the trailers they make those things do mislead people? If that's not fake advertisement then...nothing is fake advertisement for you.

I know what is and isn't advertisement, but it said NOTHING about NPCs sitting down and eating. I put down deception, but I meant expectation. People expected it because they saw a few eating sims and thought that NPCs to sit down and eat, when in reality it was a few active sims.

Dude...admit it, it's meant to misslead people.

They didn't said anything, they didn't needed to they knew people would be lead to think NPC sims could.

It's not EA's fault that people lead themselves to their own conclusions, they said NOTHING about NPCs being able to do so. Having a few active sims sitting down and eat is not deception, it wouldve been nice having a disclaimer saying *can only be done by active sims*. But there is a difference between false advertisement and expectation.

Since when has it not been EA's fault? Since the beginning of time, everything has been EA's fault. Poverty and hunger? EA. Bombs in Hiroshima? EA. The holocaust? EA.

OPEN YOUR EYES 🐸🐸🐸🐸!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WKAE UP AMERICA

This wasn't as funny as you intended it to be.

Yeah, I'm really tired of the "if you don't like it..." comments. They're counter-productive and solve nothing, especially if people are discussing a legitimate issue. Don't tell a gamer, "if you don't like it, don't buy it." Why should they completely exclude themselves from new content just because there are some features or issues that need to be addressed?

Yeah, I'm really tired of the "if you don't like it..." comments. They're counter-productive and solve nothing, especially if people are discussing a legitimate issue. Don't tell a gamer, "if you don't like it, don't buy it." Why should they completely exclude themselves from new content just because there are some features or issues that need to be addressed?

Huh? Oh, I don't care about all this stuff. I'm just here for my entertainment. :)
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Fireproxxy wrote: »
    So our sims can't do much from the trailers. Why do they bother showing things we will never get to have in game??

example: they won't sit down and eat in a cafe or bakery that we set up... (like what even is the point in having one then?)
    No, guru said they will sit to eat if they want when they buy. Is only in retail shops with clothes etc that they shop and go. Is on twitter
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member

Both sides have problems.

If you buy the EP but complain, EA will look at the sales figures, and declare it a success in spite of a "vocal minority".
    If you DON'T buy the EP and complain, EA will look at the sales figures, declare it a failure, and then shut down The Sims Studio, just like they did to Maxis Emeryville.

You can't win.
    wJbomAo.png
  • AllyJay82AllyJay82 Posts: 25 Member
    It is a bakery, not a coffee shop. I don't know about you, but where I am from bakery's sell whole cakes, pies, squares. Not single servings. There is no seating area. So Sims come in, buy birthday cakes, pies and other desserts to take home to their families. If you really want to have Sims eat there, you could have a serving of sweets available to your customers that is not for sale. Have it on a counter near a seating area then "call to meal". Your customers can sit and enjoy the goodies. Think of it as free samples =)
  • EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    edited March 2015

Huh? Oh, I don't care about all this stuff. I'm just here for my entertainment. :)
    I'm sure it's more entertaining than Sims 4. ;)
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Freckles1971Freckles1971 Posts: 507 Member
    ericaduh wrote: »
    JoBass24us wrote: »

I don't call this:

sims-4-get-to-work-expansion-bakery.jpg

Or this:

TS4_477_BUSINESS_01_002.png

People leading themselves to conclusions. Ea certainly gave the illusion/portrayal of customers being serviced while they sat and ate at a business. It's EA's fault people expected it because they didn't do a disclaimer on it

Yes! These photos led me to believe we'd have a eat-in/sit down _whateveryouwanttocallit_. There are plenty of NPCs there, and they're all sitting/eating/ordering. You also see Sims at the register (doing what exactly, if they don't work for check outs?).

I guess I'll just wait and see.

Remember the sims 2 where we had diners ect and they had NPC'S in them. Maybe it will be the same in this one?
  • Luke2153Luke2153 Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2015
    Jimil wrote: »
    This EP is more like TS3's Ambitions. It's nowhere near as OFB, you just have the option to sell food :unamused:
    You can sell other things than food....... You need to research this pack more.

large.jpg
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member

There is only one thing wrong with your logic. Check my signature. EA's Marketing Department motto is: "We don't care if you LIKE the game, just as long as you BUY the game."

You know why? One word: kaching!

Now, what happens if enough people decide to take your advice and not buy the game? You guessed it: no kaching! for EA. Therefore, they lose money, decide that the Sims is dead as a franchise, and move on to making some other game.

And I know you didn't say anything about not buying the game...but, doesn't not playing the game amount to the same thing? Or are we supposed to still buy the game, then stop playing it if we don't like it, throw it in the trash, and never come on here and complain about it?

Because, if you stop and think about it, isn't that what your statement really means? "If you don't like it, don't play it, and shut up already?"

Or is it just me reading into things that you didn't mean to imply?

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    *sighs* I am tired of hearing the excuse of cafes. I can go to Detroit and surrounding cities and walk into bakeries (NOTE they say bakeries in their name NOT cafes) buy doughnuts, cakes, bread, and you know bakery food..sit down after I purchase and eat.

Them putting out videos and pictures showing people sitting and eating IS part of the GTW if they put it in the video. THEY put it in their advertising and just the two pictures posted in this video points to customers sitting and eating. We didn't make the video. We did not misinterpret the video or pictures..EA mislead their customers in hopes of better sales. They mislead people more in doing this than ever before.

Don't worry those of us that don't like it or get tired of the falsehoods that are spoken about the game or even the silence.. Will eventually leave..

And I honestly believe it will show EA just how much ignoring the I don't like this or that in Sims 4 was more important they thought.

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Like many said the Sims 4 has potential but if it's handled like this then we can all say goodbye to the game I'm sick of the whole cheap gameplay they put on things, it's better than what TS3 had with the rugs but still no where near as OFB, first no restaurants that can be made, then sims don't use the register nor set prices individually, then sims won't carry shopping bags, then sims won't eat at bakeries....what's next? I'm really sick of this, if they at least were honest in the trailers but it's all staged...
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    Why does people call this false advertisement? It's not false advertisement, it's exactly what can happen. Has anyone seriously thought that they used ACTIVE SIMS, because NEW FLASH, your active sims will sit down and eat in bakeries.

Yes it is, in both 3 trailers, launch, the retail one and the first GTW trailer there is a bakery showing with sims eating in the tables! In the launch trailer they even put a sim playing guitar there, pretending it's a stage!

It's outrageous and I hope they see this thread for people aren't happy, this needs to stop.

Have you thought that they were ACTIVE SIMS, if it wasn't real gameplay they would put a disclaimer at the bottom. Your active sims will sit down at eat, there is a difference between false advertisement and deception.

-.-

If a marketing trailer decepts people, if it misleads them, then it's fake advertisement for the real product won't be like so.

Have you thought that regardless of how they make the trailers they make those things do mislead people? If that's not fake advertisement then...nothing is fake advertisement for you.

I know what is and isn't advertisement, but it said NOTHING about NPCs sitting down and eating. I put down deception, but I meant expectation. People expected it because they saw a few eating sims and thought that NPCs to sit down and eat, when in reality it was a few active sims.

They didn't said anything, they didn't needed to they knew people would be lead to think NPC sims could.

It's not EA's fault that people lead themselves to their own conclusions, they said NOTHING about NPCs being able to do so. Having a few active sims sitting down and eat is not deception, it wouldve been nice having a disclaimer saying *can only be done by active sims*. But there is a difference between false advertisement and expectation.

There is one simple solution to this that would have rendered your point true:- EA showing the plumbobs. However they didn't so how was anyone really supposed to know that all those sims shown sitting and eating in the bakery were active sims and not random townies who had just bought something there?

Like people have been saying, this IS false advertising because EA left out this crucial information. People have pre-ordered this game based on what they were shown in the trailers and it was nothing more than a lie.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Darkslayer wrote: »

-.-

There is one simple solution to this that would have rendered your point true:- EA showing the plumbobs. However they didn't so how was anyone really supposed to know that all those sims shown sitting and eating in the bakery were active sims and not random townies who had just bought something there?

Like people have been saying, this IS false advertising because EA left out this crucial information. People have pre-ordered this game based on what they were shown in the trailers and it was nothing more than a lie.

I wouldn't have said it better.

I'm really angry at them, really.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

Both sides have problems.

If you buy the EP but complain, EA will look at the sales figures, and declare it a success in spite of a "vocal minority".
    If you DON'T buy the EP and complain, EA will look at the sales figures, declare it a failure, and then shut down The Sims Studio, just like they did to Maxis Emeryville.

You can't win.

Pretty much this. Developers like EA have a tendency to bury their heads in the sand when it comes to a game failing / not selling as well as expected; they don't look at WHY it failed to sell in the sense that maybe it was released broken or was otherwise considerably lacking. Instead they just look at 'Well, sales are bad. Guess nobody is interested anymore even though we've had hundreds of people cursing our names and screaming at us for the past year about what we've done to push them away from the franchise. Pull the plug boys'.

IMHO this is a dangerous mentality for them to have. The Sims is already extremely over-saturated when you consider the sheer volume of expansion packs, stuff packs, store content (TS3) and spin off games we've had over the many-many years. If EA are just going to regurgitate the same thing over and over again then people are going to question the point of upgrading and starting all over again. EA should be on their toes, watching fan feedback (within reason - some people are just never happy) and doing what they can to keep the game appealing.

So far I don't see them doing that. In fact I see them making decisions that seem to go against basic common sense.
    Darkslayer wrote: »

-.-

I wouldn't have said it better.

I'm really angry at them, really.

Ditto. I find it disgusting they're even allowed to still get away with this because they are blatantly misrepresenting a product. What's worse is that this isn't even a new thing; they've been doing this nonsense as far back as TS2 and yet they've never been called to task on it.

I'd love it if I actually had the money to drag them through the courts over this because of how wrong it is, but I don't and even then there's probably some kind of loophole they're exploiting that allows them to do this.

Apparently integrity and pride in your own product being good enough to sell itself counts for nothing anymore but then this is EA so I'm not exactly surprised.