Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 and Me

agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
I am so torn about TS4... I know there have been gripes from longtime fans when it comes to the loading screens and the choice of graphics, but I can look past those. Here's why it bothers me: due to the lack of family play, I find myself playing a lot of single YA sims. Whenever I play any sim game, I like to create a bunch of different households because I don't really like any of the default households. Story progression or no story progression, I can adapt and quite happily go along my merry simming way as long as I can make enough sims to create a small community. Like I said earlier, I'm making a community of YA sims so I'll look past the no toddlers for now even though I really want them back.

Here's where it gets hard- there are so few traits and aspirations, it is incredibly hard for me to create unique sims. I remember gushing over how many traits there were in the TS3 base game, there were loads! And even though TS2 didn't have a trait system, you had turn ons/turn offs and favorites, so you could kind of mimic a personality, and the combinations were endless...this system also got 1000x cooler with the introduction of hobbies, which gave your sims' "personalities" an even greater perceived depth. So I trudge along anyway, and create these sims that I want to play with. I make them, but there's no where to put them because the worlds are so tiny (what is this??? A world for ants?!). Who cares right? When life gives you lemons.... you know the saying. So I go to download apartments from the gallery because the new build system is awesome and there are all these amazing lots to grab. Unfortunately, it doesn't work the way you want it to because you can't lock doors. It messes up the entire game because the sims do whatever they want and interactions cancel themselves out all the time. Apparently, if your sim really wants to use a specific bathroom, even the hand of God can't change the course of things. By this point, the immersion is completely ruined for me.

To make things even harder to enjoy, I'm struggling to find things to do. I only enjoy the realistic play style, so almost half my job choices are gone (I'm really grateful they added more, but I'm sad to say it's not enough when I want to make 2 dozen sims to play with. I'm glad GTW is the first expansion they chose, and I really hope they make adding more jobs a priority). I'm finding it hard to reconcile my vision of how I want to play the sims with the actual game, because the dollhouses and telescopes are so huge- who has that in their homes?? I would LOVE to make cupcakes but again, the cupcake machine is just so...ugh. I know they've had crazy machines like that in the past, and that's OK because it's The Sims! But why can't the cupcake machine be way smaller???

I really hope I'm not coming off like a brat here, it's just that it's The Sims! Not being able to absolutely LOVE TS4 the way I have loved TS1-3 is like not loving your own kid lol (that's a total exaggeration but you see my point).

Comments

• WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    I know nothing about the person that created this mod. I found it while searching to see if anyone had come up with how many trait combinations are there in Sims 4. It might help you with the trait problem or it might not. Use at your own risk.

http://simscommunity.net/2014/12/25/sims-4-buff-trait-factory/

As for the rest. You aren't the first to feel that way and you probably won't be the last. lol I don't know if there are any mods/CC out there for lockable doors. I haven't looked and I haven't seen one mentioned on this forum.

On the oversized objects... you can make them bigger but you can't make them smaller. Which for some of the objects I can see the sense in not being able to make them smaller. With the way things are going someone else might manage to get them into a 3d modeling program and make them more suitable in size before I will ever get a chance to try.

Anyway, you are not alone in being disappointed in some of the aspects of the game. There are many here who a highly disappointed to put it mildly. Some can't even play the game because of issues that have yet to be addressed. Others are happy with it the way it is. YMMV The best thing you can do is to keep giving feedback and constructive criticism, like the rest of us. ;)
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    WolfEyes wrote: »
    I know nothing about the person that created this mod. I found it while searching to see if anyone had come up with how many trait combinations are there in Sims 4. It might help you with the trait problem or it might not. Use at your own risk.

As for the rest. You aren't the first to feel that way and you probably won't be the last. lol I don't know if there are any mods/CC out there for lockable doors. I haven't looked and I haven't seen one mentioned on this forum.

On the oversized objects... you can make them bigger but you can't make them smaller. Which for some of the objects I can see the sense in not being able to make them smaller. With the way things are going someone else might manage to get them into a 3d modeling program and make them more suitable in size before I will ever get a chance to try.

Anyway, you are not alone in being disappointed in some of the aspects of the game. There are many here who a highly disappointed to put it mildly. Some can't even play the game because of issues that have yet to be addressed. Others are happy with it the way it is. YMMV The best thing you can do is to keep giving feedback and constructive criticism, like the rest of us. ;)

Thanks for the tips... I'll definitely look at the mod. I've never really downloaded any mods (I've been a pretty satisfied simmer so far) but it seems pretty necessary at this point. I have no mods right now, so if something bad happens I'll know to delete it right away :)

I'm glad you feel similarly. I think we need a Boring EP- I don't not even going to feel insulted if they call it that lol. I want dishwashers and boring, normal things- maybe a wall oven that can produce recipes from the cupcake machine, a housephone, table microscope, hobby-sized telescopes, upright pianos, etc etc. And more boring careers like the lawyer career, a marketing career and maybe even an accounting career!

• EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    You are absolutely not a brat for saying this and don't let anyone try to make you feel that way. It's understandable why you would feel like this. This game just doesn't play like any Sims game I ever played. It's nowhere in the league of Sims 1, 2, or 3. The game is so lacking and barren. Total disappointment. I hope it burns.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • FoxyLovesKittyFoxyLovesKitty Posts: 889 Member
    It's fine to feel that way :/ Sims 4 is the first Sims game I was busy being concerned about bugs, glitches and missing features on my first playing session. I think though, that they would probably add lockable doors in a patch. It's only logical they would... Even Sims Medieval has them.
  • WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »

Thanks for the tips... I'll definitely look at the mod. I've never really downloaded any mods (I've been a pretty satisfied simmer so far) but it seems pretty necessary at this point. I have no mods right now, so if something bad happens I'll know to delete it right away :)

I'm glad you feel similarly. I think we need a Boring EP- I don't not even going to feel insulted if they call it that lol. I want dishwashers and boring, normal things- maybe a wall oven that can produce recipes from the cupcake machine, a housephone, table microscope, hobby-sized telescopes, upright pianos, etc etc. And more boring careers like the lawyer career, a marketing career and maybe even an accounting career!

You're welcome. And I like your ideas. Except the accounting career. That was my field in RL once upon a time. lol
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member

Just to add on to this, here is another good place to get some additional traits:

http://www.modthesims.info/browse.php?tag=trait&go=Go&gs=4&f=38

I'm pretty sure that they're all made using Zerbu's Buff Factory (linked in post above) and Mod the Sims is very reliable. Hopefully they may help bring some variety back for you :)

Some of those things in that Boring EP, I don't think we should pay for. Dishwashers, home phone, and whatever "boring normal things" you have in mind. We also need some of the "boring careers" like fire fighters back as well. I'm amazed it wasn't added in GTW.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's not you, it's them. Break ups are hard. The problem is because many actually feel this way (as do I) the metrics will tell EA, hey, look everyone is playing a single YA in this game! And it will be posted on FB how many millions of YAs were created validating players don't want to really play families anymore. Or because (have you noticed, yet?) there isn't a Lan Party for all those PCs in the homes of our Sims now, 'hey look!' Simmers don't care their Sims can't play computer games together on those tablets or desktops we gave them!

I think they forgot that one or they think that is too 'old school' to bring into this new use of the tablet for everything! modern game.

EA can't imagine how many times in this game I looked around the room for a land line phone while my Sim was in the kitchen or in the living room etc. And I didn't want them to 'move around' while on cell phone but have to stand still while using a phone, so I could do something with another Sim for a moment and they would leave that other Sim alone for a few minutes.

EA never thinks about 'why' we use particular objects. It's not always for the reasons they think...as I just explained. Their social was getting low, I want them to talk to someone they met (hopefully gain some relationship points) but don't want that person to come over, because I am Busy with other Sims! So, the good ole land line phone in The Sims was a way for me to kill many birds with one stone. Keeps that Sim out of my hair (stops them from bothering my other Sims) makes them stand still long enough for me to get something else done with another, and raises relationship points, meets a need and builds relationships.

What did they do? Omitted the phone because you know, my Sims should allow every Sim in the hood to come in the house and play musical chairs but I want to other Sims in the hope to become romantically involved, maybe have a kid while the others are busy. But what did they do remove the phone, cut down how long a Sim will talk with other Sims on the phone, now and totally just waste my time by having the Sim use a cell phone.

Go figure. I have to think they don't really play these games and never have. Or they would know this stuff wouldn't they?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2015
    Another example is skilling. Now, they will stop skilling (I'm no longer their god) and go bother another Sim. I'm pretty sure developers didn't think just maybe Simmers made Sims skill so they could do something else with another Sim for a moment and not because they wanted the Sim to actually learn a skill but to keep them busy for a few. See, it's all in if you play the game, you know this stuff. And you would never think of taking away the god feature if you played The Sims and know how annoying it can get. And past developers must have understood this in large households, and 'know' Simmers use objects in games other than their intent. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It's not you, it's them. Break ups are hard. The problem is because many actually feel this way (as do I) the metrics will tell EA, hey, look everyone is playing a single YA in this game! And it will be posted on FB how many millions of YAs were created validating players don't want to really play families anymore. Or because (have you noticed, yet?) there isn't a Lan Party for all those PCs in the homes of our Sims now, 'hey look!' Simmers don't care their Sims can't play computer games together on those tablets or desktops we gave them!

I think they forgot that one or they think that is too 'old school' to bring into this new use of the tablet for everything! modern game.

EA can't imagine how many times in this game I looked around the room for a land line phone while my Sim was in the kitchen or in the living room etc. And I didn't want them to 'move around' while on cell phone but have to stand still while using a phone, so I could do something with another Sim for a moment and they would leave that other Sim alone for a few minutes.

EA never thinks about 'why' we use particular objects. It's not always for the reasons they think...as I just explained. Their social was getting low, I want them to talk to someone they met (hopefully gain some relationship points) but don't want that person to come over, because I am Busy with other Sims! So, the good ole land line phone in The Sims was a way for me to kill many birds with one stone. Keeps that Sim out of my hair (stops them from bothering my other Sims) makes them stand still long enough for me to get something else done with another, and raises relationship points, meets a need and builds relationships.

What did they do? Omitted the phone because you know, my Sims should allow every Sim in the hood to come in the house and play musical chairs but I want to other Sims in the hope to become romantically involved, maybe have a kid while the others are busy. But what did they do remove the phone, cut down how long a Sim will talk with other Sims on the phone, now and totally just waste my time by having the Sim use a cell phone.

Go figure. I have to think they don't really play these games and never have. Or they would know this stuff wouldn't they?

I don't like the emphasis on smart phones and tablets, I really really despise it. Yes, it's true that it is very realistic for everyone to be dependent on their smart phones these days... I get that. I dislike the implementation of smart phones and tablets in The Sims because it is SO boring to watch. In previous iterations of The Sims, I rarely used the landlines and computers to do stuff unless I had to (e.g. to go on vacation), because the animations are so incredibly boring. Have you ever watched someone use their phone while you are trying to talk to them in real life? It's infuriating, and I would rather not have that in my game. I'm 25, so I was fortunate enough to experience life without this great dependence on technology- I want that in my game. Shouldn't I be able to play my sim game the way I want? I really wish they gave us the option to upgrade to smartphone from a regular cellphone... I'd be even happier if they had made it so your sim had to go out to a store to buy a cellphone.
  • Luke2153Luke2153 Posts: 538 Member
    Your not coming off as a brat at all, its all just personal preference, but I agree with you on the trait situation.
    Just remember though that not every base game for The Sims is gonna have loads of content to play with, so maybe in a few months check back in with the game and see if it fits your play style yet. Happy Simming ;)
    large.jpg
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    The only thing that hurts me is The fact that there is no Favorites, with all this talk about Sims personality, and emotions. The Fact that Favorites isn't in this game is kind of odd to me. And I was greatly looking forward to choosing my sims favorite foods, color, music, like it would have worked so well with emotions, that should have been one of the first things added into CAS. it better return at least and I expect more favorites too like book genres, film genres, and for future expansions Favorite weather and Animal.

More traits do need to be added along with trait slots more trait slots need to be patched in to be specific.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2015
    nevermind
    Post edited by mortia on
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    You have every right to feel this way. You're not a brat at all. I personally feel similar sentiments.

*in cheerleader voice*
    GIVE ME A "M"! GIVE ME AN "E"! GIVE ME A "S"! GIVE ME ANOTHER "S"! WHAT DOES THAT SPELL?
    *drumroll*
    MESS!

No but seriously this game is a hot mess.
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    You're fine! Vent all you want :)

There are tons of others that feel the same way as you.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,560 Member
    edited March 2015
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    The only thing that hurts me is The fact that there is no Favorites, with all this talk about Sims personality, and emotions. The Fact that Favorites isn't in this game is kind of odd to me. And I was greatly looking forward to choosing my sims favorite foods, color, music, like it would have worked so well with emotions, that should have been one of the first things added into CAS. it better return at least and I expect more favorites too like book genres, film genres, and for future expansions Favorite weather and Animal.

More traits do need to be added along with trait slots more trait slots need to be patched in to be specific.
    I hear you about the whole 'favorites' thing. However, I never saw any reason, beyond defining a character in one's own head, for Sims to even have favorites. I would use their favorite color whenever decorating their homes/bedrooms, for instance. Didn't seem to have any impact on the Sims. Not even switching the radio to their favorite type of music created much of a reaction. :open_mouth:

One day, just one day, I would love to see traits/emotions/favorites/etc. make a real difference in reactions/interactions and moods with our Sims. Then, and only then, will a true achievement have been reached in gaming. Something to strive for, EA. Are you listening? smh, I didn't think so. Heavy sigh. :/

Edited for clarity of thought.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I feel the same way, OP. Many others feel the same as well. You are not alone! :)
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    I am so torn about TS4... I know there have been gripes from longtime fans when it comes to the loading screens and the choice of graphics, but I can look past those. Here's why it bothers me: due to the lack of family play, I find myself playing a lot of single YA sims. Whenever I play any sim game, I like to create a bunch of different households because I don't really like any of the default households. Story progression or no story progression, I can adapt and quite happily go along my merry simming way as long as I can make enough sims to create a small community. Like I said earlier, I'm making a community of YA sims so I'll look past the no toddlers for now even though I really want them back.

Here's where it gets hard- there are so few traits and aspirations, it is incredibly hard for me to create unique sims. I remember gushing over how many traits there were in the TS3 base game, there were loads! And even though TS2 didn't have a trait system, you had turn ons/turn offs and favorites, so you could kind of mimic a personality, and the combinations were endless...this system also got 1000x cooler with the introduction of hobbies, which gave your sims' "personalities" an even greater perceived depth. So I trudge along anyway, and create these sims that I want to play with. I make them, but there's no where to put them because the worlds are so tiny (what is this??? A world for ants?!). Who cares right? When life gives you lemons.... you know the saying. So I go to download apartments from the gallery because the new build system is awesome and there are all these amazing lots to grab. Unfortunately, it doesn't work the way you want it to because you can't lock doors. It messes up the entire game because the sims do whatever they want and interactions cancel themselves out all the time. Apparently, if your sim really wants to use a specific bathroom, even the hand of God can't change the course of things. By this point, the immersion is completely ruined for me.
    Like everyone else said. You are definitely not alone nor are you a brat for expressing your discontent with the game.
    I definitely agree with you on the few traits and aspirations.

To note you can gain additional traits by fully completing your Sim's Aspiration Milestone. I think perhaps the reason there are so few traits is due to the body language/emotion feature this sequel has. Not only are the traits tied with behavior but in this game they are tied to a Sim's emotional response to different objects/social cues in their world. Due to this, it is a bit more lengthy to code and add.

On the issue concerning locked doors. I believe this is going to be added in the GTW expansion. How else would you be able to keep outside (non-employee) Sims venturing in the "staff/employee only" area? Idk though. Hopefully.
    edited March 2015
    meeoun wrote: »

On the issue concerning locked doors. I believe this is going to be added in the GTW expansion. How else would you be able to keep outside (non-employee) Sims venturing in the "staff/employee only" area? Idk though. Hopefully.

It's toward the end of the retail section if you click on the link below but locked doors will not be returning with GTW: "Customer can walk around freely in your store (there is no possibility to lock doors) but they are pushed to stay in the rooms that have stuff to sell. If they’re needs are low, they might wander off."

Link: http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2015/03/get-to-work-producer-event-in-cologne/
    MasonGamer wrote: »

I know...how can I expect to make a decent cop in GTW when I can't have donuts as my favorite food???

• xBlackDragon7xxBlackDragon7x Posts: 173 Member
    i have to agree with the OP it's so boring nothing to do i'm really hopeing this expansion makes me wanna play it again...
  • thewatcheruatuthewatcheruatu Posts: 295 Member
    edited March 2015
    On traits, I identify, though perhaps they kept it kind of tight in the vanilla game on purpose because of the sort of trait bloat that we saw in TS3 (where each expansion they tried to add more traits, until there were a sort of ridiculous amount).
    Post edited by thewatcheruatu on
    i have to agree with the OP it's so boring nothing to do i'm really hopeing this expansion makes me wanna play it again...
    Isn't it sad when you have to rely on expansion packs just to attempt to make this game fun again.... :/
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Deandra TheNewGirlDeandra TheNewGirl Posts: 384 Member
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    Isn't it sad when you have to rely on expansion packs just to attempt to make this game fun again.... :/

The Flop 4's amazing emotional abilities has it's way of stealing fun from people and turning it into iconic boredom. <3
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    Venting is good. I am very disappointed in so many things with this game. The GTW expansion would be great in an open world but not with loading screens every way you turn. Active careers like the fireman and ghost hunter were hard enough in sims 3, but at least I could pause and check on my other family members. As for traits it might help if traits actually defined who your sim was. Mine seem more guided by emotions. I really wonder if we will get locked doors. How can my sim die of embarrassment if they can't follow everyone to the bathroom?