Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plagiarism - Status of Original By as of the 3/22/16 Patch (see pg. 19)

Comments

• Tw1zt1dTw1zt1d Posts: 66 Member
    edited February 2015
    > @Karrterr said:
    > I agree with you. Others shouldn't be able to upload your hard work and claim as their own. They need to just make them your creations and make it to where you can't re-upload someones creation. I think with the way the game is designed why wouldn't you want to make your own creations anyways. I think its nice to have people using everyone's creations in their games but we don't really need to see multiples of the same thing from one creator on the exchange in my opinion anyways.

There are tons of examples of multiple home creations in the gallery. ruthless has had many of his creations stolen and re-uploaded.

The problem you have with that is the people doing this only do this to up their download count or gain followers. They have little to no regard for whom they stole from. When the original creators have called them on it, I've seen people get cursed at or told off. It's not right. Several people I'm following deal with that mess on a daily basis.

There is a problem with people bypassing the 'modded items' flagging system because they only care about downloads and gaining followers. They don't care if some person downloads their stuff and it's bald sim with underwear on. They don't care that sometimes it crashes their game. Bottom line, it's all about gaining downloads, popularity, and gaining followers.

There needs to be a way to block exploits that BS the gallery settings. There needs to be bans or temporary account suspensions for repeat offenders. If it's a case of people not updating their game to bypass the filter, then they shouldn't even be allowed to create anything until they do.
    Origin ID is xxtwiztidsoulxx- Add/Follow and check out my contributions to the gallery.
  • AussieAdoresSimsAussieAdoresSims Posts: 554 Member
    I download stuff off the community and remodel it but I never share it. I save it to my personal gallery.
  • maimouthmaimouth Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2015
    Post edited by maimouth on
  • Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    I spent an hour or trolling the gallery today and saw the SAME house almost 15 times. The original belonged to Findjoo and the rest were all reuploads with almost no changes. I saw this to be the case with many very talented builders and I found myself bummed because not a single person ever copied one of MY houses. :'( Guess I need to try harder!

And to all the original creators, just remember that those posers are just peanut butter and jealous!
    5sXtTqH.png
    edited March 2015
    edited March 2015
  • picklesthecat114picklesthecat114 Posts: 2,690 Member
    Everyday builds are getting stolen, changed slightly and put on for download. This is not right! How would you feel if some of your work got copied and only changed a bit and took credit? We need to stop this. So, heres the plan; comment on this discussion and you will have agreed to team up and fight for our builds to be copyrighted, to ensure that our work is safe! Come one simmers, let's fight for freedom!!!!
    Lantern-flying-in-Tangled.gif
  • blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    Maxis can't be expected to know what's stolen, but the eula makes it clear that there are no ownership rights, and that you share things on the gallery at your own risk. It happens all the time, and it's not right, but the only way to avoid it is not to share. It's pretty safe if you don't use hashtags and that makes it easier to only share with people you know. Dishonest people always find a way, and sadly, unless EA comes up with a more secure way for gallery sharing to be protected, each user has to decide whether it's worth the risk.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
    edited March 2015
  • TasaarTasaar Posts: 64 Member
    Maxis can't be expected to know what's stolen, but the eula makes it clear that there are no ownership rights, and that you share things on the gallery at your own risk. It happens all the time, and it's not right, but the only way to avoid it is not to share. It's pretty safe if you don't use hashtags and that makes it easier to only share with people you know. Dishonest people always find a way, and sadly, unless EA comes up with a more secure way for gallery sharing to be protected, each user has to decide whether it's worth the risk.
    If by agreeing to the EULA you agree to not owning the content then people will just have to live with it. I think there should be some kind of share tree though. So that people can see where the original came from.
  • jaimie_joajaimie_joa Posts: 1 New Member
    I go by jjjsims4 on the sims4 and i recently had a room of mine stolen and it was faved by maxis the day it was reuploaded! i was quite upset! this person has sice removed the room, which i truly appreciate, but this is getting out of controL! EA may say they cannot do anything, but that is simply an excuse. Truth is they do not care! Your idea i read earlier ahs been my view as well, to ALWAYS leave the original creator. At least until the lot is bulldozed, etc.. its a simple fix, may not stop staeling totally, but it sure would slow it down!!11 EA just has to LISTEN!!1 We the fans and players of this game are the only reason it exists, and why its been so popular through the years!1 they should listen to the people who have made them ricH!!!
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    This explains why, when looking for a lot on the Gallery, I saw two identical houses (minus the outside siding) by two different creators. Wow.

I get maybe wanting to change stuff for your own personal game & preferences, but not re-uploading.

I use a lot of Gallery creator lots for my games and I have some in my LPs but I always post the names of the lots and the creator so people can find them if they want.
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Ash072 wrote: »
    I spent an hour or trolling the gallery today and saw the SAME house almost 15 times. The original belonged to Findjoo and the rest were all reuploads with almost no changes. I saw this to be the case with many very talented builders and I found myself bummed because not a single person ever copied one of MY houses. :'( Guess I need to try harder!

And to all the original creators, just remember that those posers are just peanut butter and jealous!

PB & jealous!!
    Lol!!! XD

Imma go reupload all your stuff and claim it's mine so you feel good. Because I'm nice like that. Hahaha! Lol! ;)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited March 2015
    That lovely Suburban Dream House keeps appearing under it's own name and under other names, doesn't it? At least it says Original by....
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, @Mchap353, that's the problem. :|
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited March 2015
    I get what the simmers are saying in regard to the content no longer being owned by the player once it's uploaded, and that is true. However, that being said, I still feel it is completely unacceptable to claim someone else's work as your own. It's common decency to ask a creator if you can alter their work and re-upload it, giving them original or inspirational credit (whatever is worked out between the creator and the new artist). Most of the builders I know simply want recognition for their hard work, but the key aspect in this is that you communicate with the original artist. If they say "no" then you should respect their wishes and leave it at that.

The plagiarism reports would be difficult to monitor, and could certainly be abused, but I do feel like they would make a good addition to the drop down menu.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    People have been saying the same thing since 2000 when Sims1 custom content was being made;

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

;)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
    Post patch, I am unable to "take over" another's lot by any means I can devise. This is super exciting, but I don't want to get ahead of myself... I would really appreciate it if others would also test what appears to be a rock solid fix. Try to break it - try to wipe out that "Original By." But as far as I can tell, it can't be done anymore. :):):)
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    edited March 2015
    @BryonyRae That's great news! This will be a wonderful addition for creators. I will test this out when I get into my game in a little bit. Congratulations!

Edit: I've been play testing the "fix" and I haven't found any loopholes in the "Original By" post. I am not very crafty in this department, but even deleting the entire home and all objects on the lot and rebuilding doesn't clear the "Original By". This may be a pretty solid fix.
    Post edited by Ceres_Meiriona on
  • WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    *keeps fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes and everything else possible crossed*
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
    Well, for CAS, I've found that there is still a loophole. If you merge another's sim with one of yours, then delete yours, it will eliminate the Original By. :/ I think that more work needs to be done with sims so that each individual sim retains his/her identity even during the merge process. The Original By might not show on the entire household, but as you click on each sim within it, it should.
    I think it will be very difficult for them to protect CAS sims. At least the lots are solidly protected. I'm sorry Bryony. :(

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    That's good news about the lots.

I'm not building in Sims 4 though. I'm having too much fun with Sims 3 still. o:)
  • DyrewitchDyrewitch Posts: 465 Member
    I don't upload my builds anymore but not for these reasons, I just can't keep up with who's work I use. But my one great house I made using rooms I downloaded from Gallery I made the effort to write everyone work that I used to build the final product because I feel its right they get credit. Yes this is free stuff and mass downloaded and reproduced and re worked .. but someone took the time to meticulously make all the details.
  • islarosexivislarosexiv Posts: 454 Member
    Tw1zt1d wrote: »
    There have been plenty of instances where stuff of mine was taken and edited. My stance is that once it's on the gallery it's fair game. Anyone can take it, edit it, make it their own, etc. I don't get bent out of shape over it because once it's out there, it's out there. Besides in the create a sim, you can randomize things from the gallery. There is a chance that anyone's creation will pop up.

I'm with you. I understand how it would bother some people to miss out on downloads, or for others to get credit for your efforts. I'd be majorly bummed out if someone took something of mine and reuploaded it without doing anything significant to it, and then getting more hits than me (but I don't get that many d/ls as it is b/c I'm not awesome yet). And the official standpoint, as @blueasbutterfly mentions, it isn't actually our content. Even less so if shared on the Gallery, wherein as far as EA is concerned, everything is fair game (beyond the considerate Original credit links).

That said, I felt the "Original By:" Credit resolved a large part of the issue. If I see an "Original By" link to another simmer, I'll visit their page to get the original, unless the re-upload added something of significant value (i.e., furnishing a previously unfurnished lot, because that's convenient when setting up a new save file). I don't see a problem with those uploads, given they put some work into them. I DO have an issue when the "Original By" tag is bypassed. I've had sims of mine give credit to someone else despite the fact that the two sims were entirely different; I didn't "rework" the gallery sim, or use it as a model, nor was it just a mere tinkering or changing outfits (My gallery has two of my legacy sims crediting someone else. despite there not even being a resemblance - not to mention my personal CC, but alas..) and I have no idea how that person got credited, unless children made with a heavily modified gallery sim (tastes being subjective and all) gives credit? Regardless, I don't mind that it's there.

On the other hand, I reworked (improved, refurnished, repainted, landscaped, etc.) someone else's lot and gave credit in the description to the original creator (username + encouragement to visit their gallery) and somehow the "Original By" tagline wasn't triggered - despite being a straightforward process (I didn't do anything crazy) so it's definitely a flawed system.

Much like the fact that the gallery is full of CC even without the "include custom content" filter active. People have ways of working around the gallery system, whether intentional or not, and that's what really frustrates me - regardless of whether it's putting CC through to the non-cc gallery, or bypassing automated original credits. I still think it's a step forward from the old gallery, and the alternatives. At least here there's a *chance* of getting credit for your original work.
    Gallery: Islaroses
    Build Showcase: Islaroses
    Simblr: islarosesims.tumblr.com
    Sims Mobile: NJUTWNP