Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update on the whole Toddler situation?

Comments

• Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    axel1015 wrote: »
    And they also say things like- "it is a difficult thing to program etc..." well, you did it once before with TS2 and 3. It's not like it's impossible.

You win all the truth tea.

[img]http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Billy-D_Approves.gif[/img]
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I'm sick of seeing the excuse that they are competing against themselves.

Yes you are. We know what the standard should be, and you should be proud to push further than ever before with the sims for every play style. It's been a gold mine for EA, I want to see real dedication to making the best of what you can do. EA is huge, they should have access to the brightest and best staff! You should be proud of your body of work that so many people have loved for so many years and use that pride as momentum to surprise everyone with how incredible the sims could be!

The team should be given the kind of budget and staffing levels to reflect the vast fortunes we as customers invest into the series to give us the best experience ever. There has to be incentive to move on with the games. Cutting development so much that you throw out entire play styles or severely impact others isn't incentive for everyone to move on. It's nice to save money in production-but if that product isn't wonderful for all from day one it will suffer for its entire run. Asking people who paid premium prices to be patient or giving excuses as to why things aren't as expected isn't going to foster good feeling.
  • Options
    axel1015axel1015 Posts: 952 Member
    And it also feels really weird! Like idk if any of you are story based players like I am, but for an example I had a sim who had just turned a young adult, still living with her parents and she got pregnant. Then she had the baby and 3 days later bam she has a 10 year old but she isn't more than 19-20. Without toddlers there is a really weird age jump that irritates the crap out of me.
    FreshLion55 on the Gallery! Happy simming! >:)
  • Options
    Does anyone think that a petition for them to release info on toddlers would be a good idea? Would anyone sign it?
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @axel1015 take a look at the EA/Maxis family play thread I run in feedback, click on my signature image. You'll see that thread is one of the busiest on this forum and has been since its inception in November last year. Not only that but the huge petition for toddlers made no difference either.

Sadly EA appear to have their heads in the sand and don't want to hear it :(
  • Options
    Lol I completely forgot about that! I even signed it haha! Anyways I agree. They ignore us and put it off, and I can almost guarantee a guru has read this thread and the part that bothers me most is : they have our answer that we have been waiting months for, and they don't want to tell... :neutral:
  • Options
    WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    axel1015 wrote: »
    And it also feels really weird! Like idk if any of you are story based players like I am, but for an example I had a sim who had just turned a young adult, still living with her parents and she got pregnant. Then she had the baby and 3 days later bam she has a 10 year old but she isn't more than 19-20. Without toddlers there is a really weird age jump that irritates the crap out of me.

Now that's just.... I have no words...

I take that back. I have one word. INCOMPETENCE.

Thank you @axel1015. That was one pov I hadn't considered. Or perhaps I did but it just didn't really sink in until now. The jump from baby to child was bad enough but this... how could they NOT have foreseen this?

And here I was going to allow my first made TS4 sim to have a baby. NO way will I do that now. I'm not going to have a young adult be a parent to a 8/10 year old child when it would mean she was not a young adult when she gave birth but a child herself!

*stalks off muttering about the high level of incompetence in today's business world* smiley-face-swearing.gif
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2015
    Wolfe Eyes that is why I immediately turned off aging and froze my game more or less seeing my newly weds are both YA's just starting out - and have been in my game just one sims week - so are 19-20, and they just had a baby. I almost broke my neck hitting the pause button the day after the baby was born as it dawned on me this is a poof baby and poof babies age into 10 year olds. I live in the USA - I can't speak for all countries but in mine kids 10 years old cannot be married and have a baby. Medically that may not even be possible for half the kids at age 10 to start with to even have a baby - but how could I allow the aging to continue because of this. That is why I now have an unplayable game with out this issue being corrected. the only way it can be is with at least the additions of toddlers - and I age up the YA's to adult - which I did used to do if i allowed YA's in Sims 3 to have kids ( I don't generally even get Sims married in Sims 3 until they are adults) - then I would play epic aging and during the toddlers 75 days work the YA's like crazy in their careers to top them, then age them up to adults the day before the toddlers birthday. There was no way to even pretend in Sims 4 - and no way to top a career in 3 sims days. (I can't even make a sim go up a job level in 3 days in Sims 4 for that matter).

Ironic isn't it - in Sims 3 they blew a gasket if people talked about mods allowing teen relations and in their Sims 4 games they support children giving birth to babies and getting married. Most definitely their so call Vision - is Skewered in Sims 4. Quite frankly I"m surprised the games rating has not gone from teen to X rated for this blunder. When they did not add in toddlers they should have made YA's like in Sims 2 unable to have children.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    @Writin_Reg I can't allow it because it is a trigger for me. I was barely 15 when I had my oldest. Not that I regret having her. It was other things that occurred that get triggered.

Sorry... need to walk away for bit.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • Options
    No problem - I fully understand.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Ashlynne wrote: »

What if it turns out that this whole time they were simply working really hard on making some super-awesome-can't-live-without-them-toddlers (better than TS2 and TS3)? On top of that, they wanted to make it a huge surprise? Would that win your heart back?

Considering the limitations of the game engine, that isn't happening.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    Ashlynne wrote: »
    But... what would you do if you didn't play TS4??

Play a different game.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'd do what I have done already - went back to my going Sims 2 and Sims 3 games. i took and redid Veronaville, adding in some apartments and added some shopping and community lots, then connect to Bluewater, downtown, all the BV Vacations, and Uni. I made two starter founder sims for an Alphabet Legacy and added two of the largest lots and am playing between the two Lots and watching the Capps and Monty's hating each other all over town. It's rather fun to start anew in Sims 2, so i am having a ball reacquainting myself with some of the hoods I did not use to spend much time in - during Sims 2 days.

In Sims 3 I have about 12 saves going in 12 different worlds - but mainly playing with all the Supernaturals in the newest world Rflong made - a part build it yourself world - called Moonfall Islands. An Island life for my supernaturals for a change. hehehe.

So good simming I have already - but i just wanted another good Simming game I also could enjoy, and unfortunately that is not Sims 4. I hoped it would be - Oh well, I guess we can't have everything.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    ok I have that blinding white hot rage under control now. Partly because of @Zolt65 (thanks again!). That rage was completely unexpected. I haven't had anything trigger me that badly in 20 years.

You all are really tempting me to buy TS3 and start getting the EPs. And go hunting on Amazon for the TS2 EP and SP I'm missing.

Stop that! spitball-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • Options
    WolfEyes wrote: »
    ok I have that blinding white hot rage under control now. Partly because of @Zolt65 (thanks again!). That rage was completely unexpected. I haven't had anything trigger me that badly in 20 years.

did I do something wrong? :'(

would dancing and singing chipmunks help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RP19fnff_c

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    Gah stupid thing telling me my post will appear after it's approved. That makes the fourth time tonight. Try this one more time...

No no no no you didn't do anything wrong. You did something right! beating-heart.gif

dancing-kitten-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • Options
    oppzorrooppzorro Posts: 341 Member
    the last thing i want to see back is that horrible life stage. i don't know why everyone wants toddler's back so badly. I always used cheats to age them up.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    oppzorro wrote: »
    the last thing i want to see back is that horrible life stage. i don't know why everyone wants toddler's back so badly. I always used cheats to age them up.
    Last I checked, everyone is not you
  • Options
    Deandra TheNewGirlDeandra TheNewGirl Posts: 384 Member

Some people like toddlers because they love the challenge.

Others don't like to see a child jump from a crib because there is no toddler life stage.

Some people want them for story telling purposes...

There are many reasons why we should have them.
  • Options
    FoxyLovesKittyFoxyLovesKitty Posts: 889 Member
    I think that if they don't plan on including toddlers in a free patch soon, delaying announcing it is going to cause even more damage, because as time passes, many players raise their expectations for toddlers and the issue becomes even more pressing. A lot of people are going to be very dissappointed if toddlers aren't included in The Sims 4, but they will be even more so if nothing is said, mainly because Maxis/EA wouldn't be trustworthy anymore. If they didn't plan from the very start to include toddlers, they should have said so sooner. The silence, for me, means that they are still considering it or maybe, they just don't know how to break the news to players who want toddlers to return. I don't expect much anymore, and I hope to be wrong. However, I do appreciate honesty.
  • Options
    Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    They are too hard and expensive. These people wouldn't make a NPC bear nor take the time to animate usable tills, I doubt they'll take the time to make a toddler...that is not tied to the playpen...

I agree. I think that's why you can't get any answers because they know the answer will be NO, there won't be any toddlers in the sims 4. I think they will be too hard to put into the game with just a patch since it is a life stage.

6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I'm disappointed that they've dragged it on this long. After SimGuru Graham gave us the "maybe" with the hint about the game can have additional ages added in later (was it at Twitter?), I would have thought they'd say something rather than to continue this playing coy nonsense. Regardless of free pools, ghosts, and other nice updates, they need to remember that they severely damaged our trust in them last summer.

One hunch I have is that a Generations type EP will be coming later on. I wouldn't be surprised if we get toddlers & their basic items in an update, and then the EP will directly follow with additional things to do with them. From my 15 year history with this franchise, EA has always played the silence game with EPs they are not ready to discuss. Whether it's the next EP they have scheduled in the line up or one that is still in the idea stage further down the line, they've always pulled this "we know how important this is to you but it's not something we can discuss at this time...blah...blah...blah." So one possibility is that their long term policy of not discussing future EPs is hindering any communication with us about toddlers. It's really annoying to deal with, but I am hoping this is the reason why they won't tell us anything.

The other possibility that the pessimist in me wonders, is if they're playing a game of "kick the can down the road" like they did last summer. This was when we were all figuring out something was up, point-blank asking, "Where are the toddlers? Are the cars drivable? Where are the pools?" and they would respond with, "I can't comment on that at this time." Because of what they did, I have a hard time trusting their word. I am concerned that they are refusing to answer because they know we won't like it. If this is a repeat of last summer's shenanigans, I shudder to think of what the resulting explosion will be.
  • Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member

Good for you. If/when we get toddlers back, get ready to use those cheats some more.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm sort of two minds about this:

Let's say they announce that they've got a Sims 4 Toddler Team working 24/7 on implementing the new (to Sims 4) age group. Will that quiet down the ruckus? No, because the questions will go from "Are we getting toddlers?" to "When are we getting toddlers?" And suppose something goes terribly wrong and no matter how hard they try, there's no way to implement toddlers without re-writing the entire game, or the process takes longer than expected because they have to re-write the entire game?

On the other hand, there were other things that we were told were either impossible or extremely difficult that we've either gotten (pools, ghosts) or are getting soon (basements, an additional floor level -- we can have the crazy aunt in the attic if we want!), and we were never told they were working on those. Considering the content we've been getting in the free patches, I'm inclined to give the Sims 4 team the benefit of the doubt on this. EA, not so much perhaps, but I think the developers are really trying to put out a decent game considering the limitations the corporate suits (who've probably never played a video game in their lives) have put the crew under.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    FoxyLovesKittyFoxyLovesKitty Posts: 889 Member
    @stilljustme2 I don't think toddlers are impossible to implement. However, if that's true, it's better for them to just come out and say it. I'd feel much better to hear that they're working on toddlers. I think that if they add toddlers to the game, it would make it feel more complete. At least for me. But I won't be extremely disappointed if they announce that they really tried to implement toddlers and found it impossible. At least they speak the truth in this scenerio and I would respect them and appreciate their efforts. Yes, I would still think it's a shame, but at least they would regain my trust. I also don't see how it is a problem if the big question would go from "Are we getting toddlers?" to "When?"... The first derives from disappointment and the latter from excitement.