Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's one year after FreePlay introduced aging

It's been almost a 1 year Anniversary since the Life Dreams update which introduced the controversial aging feature. The problem was that The Sims FreePlay didn't allow aging to be disabled unlike The Sims 3 which did. Also, players had to use LP in order to keep them from aging up which were criticized as this would translate to paying real money.

The Sims FreePlay already has several disliked features such as the Internet connection require (BTW, this is the only Sims game that requires an Internet connection), Sims' need falling when they're not doing actions & not playing the game (which could get annoying if you don't play FP regularly), and the real time (also used in The Sims 2 for DS). Also the fact that FreePlay renames Child to pre-teen and Elder to Senior (thankfully The Sims 4 kept the old names) although it depends if you like the changed name in FP or not.

Pretty much every Simmer were angry and they have threatened to delete the game which pretty much almost the people did. Heck, one of the users said that half of her 100 Game Center friends have stopped playing. If you did check the Firemonkey forum, everyone was upset due to the aging. People on Facebook (which you can see here) are also unhappy.

The Life Dreams update pretty much caused a case of They Changed It, Now it Sucks. Also the fact that FreePlay suffers a Broken Base along with The Sims console, The Sims 2, The Sims 3, and The Sims 4.
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    I think it's cause they don't care what the old players think. They wanted to pull in new players who want to be be busy with constant questing instead of enjoying making their sims and decorating and building. It was a dirty rotten thing to do, and especially to not reverse it after all the complaints. And then to just shut down the forum with no notice because they didn't want to hear the complaints? Bad firemonkeys. Most of my buds don't play anymore. The game just lost its appeal. And then there's a few of us who have switched over to computer simming and like that better anyway. Death be d&**ed!! Wait, can I say that? I changed it.

Having said that, I lost one of my S3 teens for the first time yesterday. She somehow burned up in a fire. I quit the game and went back in to make sure that didn't happen again! I DON'T WANT MY SIMS TO DIE!!! So there
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    I think it's cause they don't care what the old players think. They wanted to pull in new players who want to be be busy with constant questing instead of enjoying making their sims and decorating and building. It was a dirty rotten thing to do, and especially to not reverse it after all the complaints. And then to just shut down the forum with no notice because they didn't want to hear the complaints? Bad firemonkeys. Most of my buds don't play anymore. The game just lost its appeal. And then there's a few of us who have switched over to computer simming and like that better anyway. Death be d&**ed!! Wait, can I say that? I changed it.

Having said that, I lost one of my S3 teens for the first time yesterday. She somehow burned up in a fire. I quit the game and went back in to make sure that didn't happen again! I DON'T WANT MY SIMS TO DIE!!! So there

Probably makes sense because when I would play FreePlay, I would do the quests. EA didn't care what the old players think. Also what made things worse is that adopting in SFP used real money so people would feel ripped off when the Sims they paid for dies. I think in FreePlay, there are people who do the goals and those who enjoy making their Sims, decorating, and building.

The opponents of aging thought The Sims FreePlay was a good game and now they say that the update ruined FreePlay. Another reason of hate was it was compounded by the fact that TS3 allowed aging to be turned off. In fact, The Sims 2 had a cheat to disable aging to not anger The Sims 1 fans. Since people (including me) of the Mac and PC games usually play without aging, this could be a reason why the auto-aging was disliked.

Like you, I really don't like to see my Sims die and I also play with aging off.
  • AceofSpades2231AceofSpades2231 Posts: 594 Member
    Free play was my first sim experience. and I loved it. Now I play sims 4 for and Freeplay is garbage. Its way to linear, there is no freedom to make stories. The Freemium accepts are just awful everything takes way to long. I hate free play now. But I do LOVE TS4
    eqnxTFN.jpg
    I love video games because of the things that I could never do in real life... For instance, in the sims you can get a job and a house.
    Origin ID: Mainmanvs100
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    The opponents of aging thought The Sims FreePlay was a good game and now they say that the update ruined FreePlay. Another reason of hate was it was compounded by the fact that TS3 allowed aging to be turned off. In fact, The Sims 2 had a cheat to disable aging to not anger The Sims 1 fans. Since people (including me) of the Mac and PC games usually play without aging, this could be a reason why the auto-aging was disliked.

Like you, I really don't like to see my Sims die and I also play with aging off.
    Free play was my first sim experience. and I loved it. Now I play sims 4 for and Freeplay is garbage. Its way to linear, there is no freedom to make stories. The Freemium accepts are just awful everything takes way to long. I hate free play now. But I do LOVE TS4

When 99% of your customers hate an update (specifically the death update), why not change it? I have this thought in the back of my mind but I've never said it out loud. I don't really understand the relationships between EA, Firemonkeys, Maxis and Origin. So many companies, and who does what?! And I don't care enough about it to do the research. However, I do think EA is like the boss of all of them and makes money from all the Sims games, right? Well, I had vaguely heard of sims back in the day when you built a city and was always completely uninterested. Freeplay introduced me to actual Sims. And when Firemonkeys ruined Freeplay I decided to check out S3, which I ABSOLUTELY love and which I have spent WAY more money on than I ever spent on Freeplay. So maybe there is a method to their madness... :p
  • frecklemeisterfrecklemeister Posts: 12 New Member
    I didn't know about that, but I deleted free-play almost as soon as I downloaded it. I already had Sims 3 for iPhone, and Sims 2 and 3 for PC, and I just didn't like the free-to-play model and real time. There's a reason Sims shouldn't be played in real-time. It gets really, really old watching your sims eat, use the bathroom, and take showers, over and over. It sounds like a jerky thing to do though, forcing people to either pay money or slowly have their beloved sims killed off.
  • rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member

The sims free play is not garbage. That's an insult to garbage everywhere.
  • JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    I personally like the ageing feature, but I still think their should be an option to turn it off,it's incredibly unfair to people who don't like their Sims to age.
    rosey1579 wrote: »

The sims free play is not garbage. That's an insult to garbage everywhere.

FreePlay is pretty much part of the broken base between people who think it's a bad Sims title (especially post-Life Dreams) and those who think it's good. The reason might be The Sims 2, The Sims 3, and The Sims 4 being out on Mac and PC causes most to dislike FreePlay similar to the The Sims Console vs PC/Mac. FreePlay also has some disliked mechanics such as Internet Connection requirement, Sims' need dropping when you don't play, the real time (like in TS2 for DS), etc.
    I personally like the ageing feature, but I still think their should be an option to turn it off,it's incredibly unfair to people who don't like their Sims to age.

I would agree. The Sims 2 introduced aging but had a cheat to turn it off. The Sims 3 as well as the console releases had the option to disable aging. Now FreePlay doesn't allow people to turn it off but The Sims 4 restores this ability while FreePlay still doesn't provide the option to do so.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Freeplay is trash.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • SkyePliskenSkyePlisken Posts: 33 Member
    I did enjoy SFP play for a while, but I uninstalled it shortly afterward. Personally, I'm not a fan of real-time, "free" games. I don't think this kind of style is conducive to how a Sims game should be played. But, I understand that some people really enjoy it and I agree, there should be an option to turn aging off. Otherwise, as many have said previously, they're forcing you to use LP to keep them from aging - and that's not right. I'm very disappointed with EA and its lackluster attention they've given the Sims franchise in general.

The lesson that should be taken from this: only play The Sims on PC. Anything else is poorly developed and very watered down compared to the PC experience.
    I did enjoy SFP play for a while, but I uninstalled it shortly afterward. Personally, I'm not a fan of real-time, "free" games. I don't think this kind of style is conducive to how a Sims game should be played. But, I understand that some people really enjoy it and I agree, there should be an option to turn aging off. Otherwise, as many have said previously, they're forcing you to use LP to keep them from aging - and that's not right. I'm very disappointed with EA and its lackluster attention they've given the Sims franchise in general.

The lesson that should be taken from this: only play The Sims on PC. Anything else is poorly developed and very watered down compared to the PC experience.

The fanbase is pretty much divided between The Sims 2, The Sims 3, The Sims FreePlay, and The Sims 4. There's also a broken base between PC/Mac versions and the console versions most notably The Sims 3. Sure, The Sims 3 on PS3/Xbox 360 had several disliked features such as the fire meter (object limit), lack of open world, and Sims that you leave behind or kick out will be deleted from the game. It would make sense because there's the PC vs Console and some people (including me) were prefer a PC or Mac while some favors consoles. If it's The Sims, almost everyone will like the Windows/Mac games and hate the console games.
  • MolliesDolliesMolliesDollies Posts: 525 Member
    Freeplay was actually the first Sims game I played. I found it so fun, yet so limiting, that I quickly went on to my computer and found Sims 3. Since then, I bought all the SP, EP, and most of the store! And now I'm on to Sims 4 :) I'm thankful to Freeplay for introducing me to this world! I still have Freeplay on my phone, and check it most days when I'm out and about and bored. I try to do all the quests, as best I can without spending too much real money. It has taken me this whole year to finally get enough platinum orbs to make my favorite families stuck at their preferred ages. The rest of the sims are throw aways that I use to get all the stupid stuff that need orbs to complete! Aging was definitely a ridiculous addition!
    Now a proud member of the Own the Store Club!!!
  • Darkwave7341Darkwave7341 Posts: 48 Member
    I have emailed EA about an ageing off button. Don't know what will happen about that, I'll let you all know when I get a reply.
    What's the deal with airline food?
  • i_gogueni_goguen Posts: 1 New Member
    I hate the auto-aging update...
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I don't have auto-aging in my Sims Freeplay game, but then again, I haven't completed the Life Dreams and Legacies or the Seniors quests yet that might trigger that. Right now in Freeplay, my Sims are repairing the restaurant, in anticipation for Sims 4 Dine Out game pack to be released for PC.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    It seems the French Romance Update has finally removed the LP requirement for reversing aging which was one of the complaints since the release of the controversial Life Dreams Update. On another side note, the French Romance Update removed support for iOS 5 and iOS 6.