Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Chateau des Labyrinthes

aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
edited March 2015 in The Sims 4 Lots
I wanted to play around with ideas on mansard roofing. I ended up with a chateau. The hedge mazes in front are also perfect for any aspiring behavioral psychologist looking to upgrade from rats to experimentation on children in the neighborhood.

Origin ID: dracifer
NoCC
03-08-15_11-04nbspPM_zps0q82iqhs.png
03-08-15_11-05nbspPM_zpsmt8otc3f.png
03-08-15_11-04nbspPM-2_zpsmekjarh5.png
03-08-15_11-09nbspPM_zps7iwjsyqg.png
03-08-15_11-06nbspPM_zpsur4pzgtv.png
03-08-15_11-08nbspPM_zpsxos9u4ah.png
03-08-15_11-08nbspPM-2_zpssedsxiqg.png

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,585 Member
    The exterior design of Chateau Des Labrynthes looks so very great! :) The mansard roofing looks so very nice! It looks great the types of and how you have placed the windows in the build. The clock is a nice touch on the front exterior of the home. Very nice design of the labyrinth mazes! They look very great! It looks nice how you have hedge gates to enter the mazes and the tall trees on the corners of the mazes look stately. The water fountain feature in the front courtyard is very nice! It looks nice that you have placed seat benches in the courtyard for sims to enjoy being outdoors sitting in the nice setting and looking at the nice water fountain feature. Very nice patios! It looks great how you have done the two sections of stairs at the front of the build and have the curved patio. Sims will enjoy sitting outdoors at the table there, enjoying the nice outdoors views, or enjoy painting on the easel in the sunlight, It looks very nice how you have used the roof trimming in the build! The chimneys look great how you have placed them! It looks great how you have used the columns! Very nice design and furnishing of the kitchen! The type of curtains that you have used are nice. The bar stool counter is great, and the wall paneling looks nice and suits the type of home. Nice floor patterning. The fruit bowl is a nice touch on the eat in dining table. It looks great how you have created a stove corner nook. The display cabinets look great how you have placed them in the corner nooks. Very nice layout and furnishing of all the interior of the home! The wall paneling and colours of the walls look very nice.
    It is a very nice home, both the exterior design and the interior ! The roofing is very great! :)
  • bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    Simply Stunning
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

• Yvonne2772Yvonne2772 Posts: 174 Member
    Beautiful, stylish building :) Great garden and nice interior :)
    j456ume9wx4u.jpg[img][/img]
  • aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    I added a video tutorial on how to make mansard roofing. It can be found on my roofing tutorial thread:
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/799376/video-tutorials-on-roofing?new=1
  • RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    Chateau Des Labrynthes is super fantastic with a gorgeous name! :smiley:
    I love your architectural part, especially with the use of wall patterns and mansard roofing. It is great that you produce a tutorial of it. Thank you so much! I'm going to use it in my future build. Anyway, your landscaping is very awesome too! I especially like your hedge maze at each sides. And your interior, classy and beautiful! I like the use of Victorian furnishing, suits in Medieval-themed building very well.
    I love it! I already added this to my faves. :smiley:
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    Beautiful and a bit spooky at the same time with those hedge mazes :)
  • Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    Gorgeous and impeccable! Now, is this one Greek or Roman? :wink: Just kidding. Amazing job with the Mansard roofing and thanks for supplying a link to the tutorial. You hedge maze is creative!
    5sXtTqH.png
  • WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    So very Beautiful, both inside and out. :) Love the roofing! It looks perfect.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    It's a lovely mansion, aquilifer. I love the clock, curved dormers, and just the stately elegance of the structure. The one thing I wanted to ask about was the roofing on the third level. I thought I understood why roofing cuts into the interior sometimes (the game not considering the area a room), but from what I could see, your third level was properly defined, and just to test it, I re-drew parts of it, but it didn't affect the roof cutting in at all. Is this just a consequence of trying to set up living space on the third level with complicated roofing? I could swear that when I've worked with roofing on lower levels, the trick of redrawing the room has worked to eliminate those intersecting roofs. Or I've drawn the roofing from a higher or lower level, but that wouldn't work on your build, of course, but I'm just curious.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    Yes, @BryonyRae the roofing thing on the third floor is terribly annoying, but that's the price I seem to have to pay to get the roof I want. You can see the same thing happen in a number of my builds, such as the third floor bedroom of the Woodland Cottage or the second floor kitchen of the main building in Rivendell. The issue is this:

Much of the roofing is set up on top of the second floor, then rises up higher than the third floor ceiling. When a roof piece rises up higher than the ceiling of the next floor, any part of that roofing above the next floor will be visible while on the lower floor. Specifically, all roofing is drawn in half-square segments. You will see, for example, that if you try to put curvature on something like a gable which is 2 squares wide, the roofing will bend at every half-square, giving you a gable with 4 different slopes (one for each half square over the full 2 squares). If part of the half-square of a roofing segment is above the next ceiling, then the whole segment of that roofing will be visible and may bleed down graphically into the floor below. As a consequence, the roofing which extends from the top of the second floor up beyond the ceiling of the third floor may encroach down from the ceiling of the third floor into the living area by up to a half a square.

I know that may be complicated, but I hope that's understandable. I could possibly have avoided the problem by breaking up the roofing so that I had half gables above the second floor which lined up with the rest of the mansard roofing on the third floor. That would allow me not to have any roofing pieces break that third floor ceiling barrier. But it would also have totally messed up the outside appearance, because I wouldn't have been able to get the same slope on the steep part of the roof. Instead, when this sort of thing happens, I usually opt for a lightly furnished third floor with big items like the microscope that are easy to use even if the graphics of the roof get in the way. Basically, I consider this a two-story house with an attic, and only furnished the attic at all because I didn't want it to seem unfinished. If people want to use the attic, the space is there, and playing with walls down eliminates the roofing that bleeds into the living space.
  • JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    You always had a natural talent, I can see what happens when that talent is met with time and understanding of the tools. You have become a master.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Thanks for the explanation, @aquilifer. I think that after reading it and watching your video, I understand. I hope you didn't take my questions as criticism by the way! I think you did a wonderful job on the build, and it seems like every great build requires trade-offs of some sort in this game in order to accomplish ones goals. What you manage to accomplish with it despite the obstacles is simply amazing!
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    WOW! That looks so real! Impressive architecture! Will definitely add to my favourites! :)
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    I hope you didn't take my questions as criticism by the way!

Goodness, no. Though I'm also the sort of person who appreciates criticisms, particularly from people whose buildings I respect. I was very proud to have overtaken you for "most downloaded museum" last week, and it looks like I may get "most favorited museum" soon, too. I wouldn't have been so proud if your work were terrible or if I didn't respect your opinion.

• KrazyAngelKat81KrazyAngelKat81 Posts: 492 Member
    Wow gorgeous work absolutely love the roofing and the clock and that grand entrance hall! Beautiful! Your gallery is wonderfully imaginative and technical and I'm now totally following you...in a non-stalky way... lol :smile:
    KrazyAngelKat81's Links:
    My Simblr (Tumblr): Love and Scenery Sims 4
    My Official Sims 4 Downloads:
    LandSS4%20Banner.jpg