Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do sims have to do laundry

If I were to get rid of all the laundry equipment (washing machine, dryer, basket), will dirty clothes stop appearing all over the house?

Comments

• YuiVooYuiVoo Posts: 173 Member
    edited March 2015
    yes they should go away
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited March 2015
    The sims do not have to do laundry. It's optional and only works if you have the appliances (edit: and the hampers).
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Make sure to get rid of the hampers as well as the appliances -- some sims do their laundry at the laundromat in town (if there is one) rather than at home and you'll still have piles of dirty clothes if you leave even one hamper behind. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    No washer and dryer means no dirty clothes. Of course...if you want to wash laundry, placing a hamper in areas where they change clothes will keep the rooms tidy.
    edited March 2015
    Shadoza2 wrote: »
    No washer and dryer means no dirty clothes. Of course...if you want to wash laundry, placing a hamper in areas where they change clothes will keep the rooms tidy.
    This is not correct if you have Generations Ambitions. If you have at least one hamper on the lot but no washer/dryer, the dirty clothes will pile up all over the place if your sims change clothes in a room other than where a hamper is or if they get full. At least, mine do.

Unless...perhaps if one were to remove all washers and dryers from the town completely, would things be different?

Edit: Oops, wrong EP.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    You get laundry added without Ambitions if you have Town Life Stuff or University Life installed since they also add laundry.I've had laundry in my game since installing Town Life Stuff.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Rock'nLlamaRock'nLlama Posts: 175 Member
    I actually keep forgetting about Sim laundry because I forget to buy the bins or washers XD I take it that it's just a bit too realistic??
    I actually keep forgetting about Sim laundry because I forget to buy the bins or washers XD I take it that it's just a bit too realistic??
    It's actually a tradeoff. Collecting all the laundry from the hampers or the piles on the floor takes forever on a very large lot and sims keep dropping them before they are finished collecting (although there are mods that smooth that process out). But they benefit from positive moodlets whenever they change clothes or go to bed on clean sheets if laundry keeps getting done.

The biggest downside of the whole system to me is the inactives who go into low autonomy (semi-hibernaton) mode inside their homes. If they do have a washer/dryer, their hampers get full or they don't use them, and they never collect their own laundry, they can get trapped inside by the large piles of dirty clothes thus causing unexpected lag when they can't get to work/school. Visiting them isn't very pleasant either.

Distributing Nonamena's automatic hamper systems to households that need them all around town and in places like college dorms helps a lot, for those who don't mind using modded objects and poking around in all of the inactives' houses.
    http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUploadsRemote/uploads/2266
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Some time ago I discovered a glitch and not sure if it is still there or not.

I had a house with washer and dryer and clothes hampers. Laundry was a drag so hired a butler. That was fine until he walked in on my sim and her live-in boyfriend one morning when they had gotten out of bed and were in the process of getting romantic. The butler came in to make the bed and was quickly fired by the boyfriend. At the same time I removed all hampers and the washer and dryer.

Now the curious thing was although they never had any stacks of dirty laundry and never did laundry they kept getting the positive moodlets for clean clothes and linens every day as if the butler was still doing the laundry.
    cwaddell wrote: »
    Now the curious thing was although they never had any stacks of dirty laundry and never did laundry they kept getting the positive moodlets for clean clothes and linens every day as if the butler was still doing the laundry.
    Forever? The positive moodlets for the last batch of laundry that was done might linger on for a while, maybe a few sim days or up to a sim week or so but I agree that if they never stopped appearing that wouldn't be intended.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    cwaddell wrote: »
    Forever? The positive moodlets for the last batch of laundry that was done might linger on for a while, maybe a few sim days or up to a sim week or so but I agree that if they never stopped appearing that wouldn't be intended.

It's been 3 years since I played that game and my game was at 1.29, I think, (the last update before Showtime) so not positive, but they kept getting new moodlets each day. I might have to test this in my current game when I get finished building and back to playing.
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    Laundry has been even in the base game for years now, as shown by the various laundry sets in the store. What you want to do is do not put any appliances or hampers on your lot. Put a laundromat somewhere in town. Now your sims can go there and do laundry, and the moodlets will last for several weeks before you have to do anymore. There are no piles of clothes all over the house, and you still get the benefits.
    bklienhart wrote: »
    Laundry has been even in the base game for years now, as shown by the various laundry sets in the store. What you want to do is do not put any appliances or hampers on your lot. Put a laundromat somewhere in town. Now your sims can go there and do laundry, and the moodlets will last for several weeks before you have to do anymore. There are no piles of clothes all over the house, and you still get the benefits.
    I must be missing something here, still. How can they do laundry if they can't collect the dirty clothes from hampers or piles on the floor first? Thought the community lot washers' interactions would be greyed out for active sims who have no laundry to wash.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    They don't need to collect laundry. Just go to the laundromat and use the machines. Easy-peasy.
    bklienhart wrote: »
    They don't need to collect laundry. Just go to the laundromat and use the machines. Easy-peasy.
    Since I had such a difficult time buying into this, I went ahead and tested it and of course it worked just as you said. I wonder if I'm remembering game behavior with respect to sims who have no laundry machines or hampers at home from an older patch level, a very long time ago.

Seems a bit cheaty. But of course being able to do laundry and get the benefits selectively, whenever your sims feel like it/have time without all the overhead of having to deal with piles of dirty clothes, offers another option for players who want it. Thanks for pressing the point. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I've had a separate computer with just the Sims 3 base game for years. I mostly use it to for building houses & commercial lots, but I do play from time to time. So I'm pretty well versed on what is possible with just base game.

For instance a lot of people probably haven't noticed that there is one ladder and one spiral stair included with the base game these days.