Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims constantly getting up during Meals - Suggestion

This really should have been reconsidered. Unless you have four sims, you can't have four chairs at the table, otherwise your sims are getting up and switching seats constantly. Also, if one family member is eating, but another isn't, that eating family member will constantly get up and take their plate to multi-task. I would honestly prefer if they just sat down and finished their food. Eating as it is in the Sims games takes an abnormally long period of time and with the sims constantly moving and going to other chairs, or other parts of the house, this extends the process unnecessarily.

When sims are eating, they should just stay put.
Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley

Comments

• marie29marie29 Posts: 200 Member
    I say the same thing. They should just stay put and eat. you're not wanting them to play musical chairs
  • Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    It seems to have to do with the social interaction between those Sims.
    Sim 1 wants to start a chat (or something else) with Sim 2 (which sits at the same table) and this somehow triggers the behavior, that Sim 1 gets up and gets to another place at the same table, next to the Sim he wants to chat with.

Which, of cause, is somehow nonsense as, sitting at the same table, both Sims would be perfectly able to chat with each other without anyone changing chairs.

Perhaps the Gurus can decrease the likelyhood of this happening (after all it must be somehow included in their petri net of behavior transitions and perhaps it just need a conditions (like: "If Sim and Chat-Target sit at the same table, stay seated")
  • MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    @Proteus42 and @marie29 I think this behaviour likely has to do with the multi-tasking. They appear to have written this as dominant code (because it's new) so your sim seems to attempt to multi-task constantly. I really dislike it, though admittedly I haven't played my game since a week after I got it becuase it's just...majorly disappointing, but I keep an eye on the forums to see if it's improved at all.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Modders have already made a solution to lessen this: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=541132
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    The lazy way to fix it would be to create an "eat family meal" interaction, which would basically tell all sims in the household (unless you cancel) to sit down, eat food, and build social/relationships as one continuous action that does not allow for multitasking. I'd accept that as a temporary solution until they get multitasking fixed... it's so messed up generally.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • landverhuizerlandverhuizer Posts: 310 Member
    Isn't just with eating... last time I played I had a child sim who I would get to draw at her art table, only every single time she went to draw something, she would sit down and then get up again before she would finally sit down again and draw. This got rather annoying, very quickly.
  • mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    Sims seem to be annoyingly obsessed with multi-tasking. Sometimes, it's really great! Watching TV and eating and chatting with friends is wonderful! Grabbing a plate of food...just to walk all the way across a mansion to try and hug a Sim that's busy writing a novel over and over again is much less wonderful.

I get that multitasking is a big new thing, and I appreciate it in most situations, but when it comes to eating, Sims really do just need to stay put.
  • MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    @blueasbutterfly I'll agree that multi-tasking generally is a messed up. The sims can't sit still and they're constantly abandoning activities for the chance to multi-task, with one of my sims even going so far as to walk in on his father using the toilet just to chat with him while he ate his food. So I suppose I'll expand my general suggestion here and state that until a sim is actually finished with something, they should not be pushed to multi-task, leaving multiple activities unfinished. Sims should also realise what a bookcase is. Completely useless to have if your sim only takes the books from them and then deposits half-read books all over the house.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Or for a stashing spot for dirty dishes *cringe* who even does that...
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited March 2015
    Or for a stashing spot for dirty dishes *cringe* who even does that...

Oh hey. That suggests this: IRL (in which I do not own a dishwasher), we have a bin on the counter to stash dirty dishes in. We do the dishes when it (and usually the counter next to it) fill up. I'd love that for my Sims. I could tell Sim Kid #1 to clear the dishes, and Sim Kid #2 to wash them.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    I would take just about any solution to the dirty dishes, it gets me so badly when they eat at the table, then *take the dishes all the way out back to the garden* and just put them down. Have a place to put the darned things for goodness sakes and put them there!!
  • GoddessKarmaGoddessKarma Posts: 52 Member
    Yea it's pretty irritating that they take their food everywhere and then leave the plates all over in random places. I'm sure some minor tweeking could have fixed this long ago but much like all the complaints for toddlers they don't seem to care. But even when they are sitting at the table eating they still take too long to eat, it'd like you're working or you're trying to fill needs, you cant really do too much else if you don't cheat the needs. I know I tried it, the house members never have time to build their relationships because after you come home from work you have to spend hours working on a task in order to ever get promoted, by the time you eat and shower and use the bathroom it's bedtime again.