Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Adopt a Pet glitch - HELP!!

Hello again, all!!

I'm experiencing a glitch. When I google it I can find several other cases of it but can't seem to find a solution.

I called on the phone in game to adopt a pet - chose my kitten, had the pop up "are you sure, they're a lot of work..." and said yes, and re-named her. It said that the pet needed to be cleaned up and was on the way, but never arrived. It has been a few sim days and still nothing. I can't call the adoption place again because it's grayed out and says the pet is on the way and I need to wait for it to arrive. I also can't edit town, move, travel etc for the same reason.

I've tried resetting the sims, re setting everything (resetsim *), all other NPCs are coming to the house when called (maid, paper boy...). I have all the major NRAAS mods. I already saved after the problem started so I can't go back :( Can anyone help??

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    1 - Testingcheats resetsim isn't going to do a thing in this case. Try using MasterController's reset on the residential lot instead. On the ground of the home lot or its map tag, NRaas > MC > Reset Lot. If that doesn't do it, try switching active play to another household for a few sim minutes and switch back again. And finally, if that doesn't work either, revert to Edit Town, evict the family to the clipboard on the side of the map, copy the uninhabited house down to the bin, bulldoze the original, replace the copy, and move them back in again.

2 - Once you get that sorted out, forget about adoptions from the phone/computer. That entire pet social worker scenario is broken beyond repair. I had to work for three hours once to wrestle a puppy away from the social worker whom I eventually found spawning across town but disappearing seconds later each time -- took over a dozen tries before I succeeded. But I was being stubborn because I really wanted that puppy. :)

Instead, click on your sim and NRaas > MC > Basic > Adopt Pet. Works the same way except the kitten will magically appear on your lot without the inept pet social worker.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've had the pet adoptions through the social worker three times in my town legacy challenge and they took a few sim hours to bring the pet.I've never had it glitch out like that and I'm using only 84NRaas mod files currently and the only pet adoption glitching I've had was when the EA bug-fest would start stuffing households full of pets they can't look after.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • KWatson813KWatson813 Posts: 29 Member
    Hi @igazor ! Thanks for coming to the rescue again.

I tried resetting the lot but had no luck. I'm not able to switch to another household or enter edit town to try the other two ideas. "You cannot enter edit town while the social worker is dropping off a new pet for your household." Ugh! I will certainly never make this mistake again. Any ideas? Is it possible to somehow get around the issue of not being allowed to enter edit town using MC or something?
    You might need NRaas overwatch so you can get it to clean up a broken or stuck situation because that's what you're dealing with.
    @TadOlson I have overwatch - it's not fixing the issue on its own during it's nightly scan/reset. Any clue what I should look to do manually with the mod?
    edited March 2015
    [[EDIT - double post, sorry!]]
    You have to go to immediate and trigger the action manually and try using a reset everything command from Master Controller to reset the town with a hard reset.
    @TadOlson No luck :(
    It means your save is corrupted and you'll just have to start a new game.I've had games get ruined so many times I lost count of the number of games ruined on me.I hope you did a save as before the pet adoption was started and can revert to that one and delete the current one.I do save as and make multiple files for each game and sometimes make a back up save in case anything went wrong like this.
    @TadOlson Say it isn't so!!! It was a save as but my last save before it was from before their second daughter was born :( :'(
    KWatson813 wrote: »
    Hi @igazor ! Thanks for coming to the rescue again.

I tried resetting the lot but had no luck. I'm not able to switch to another household or enter edit town to try the other two ideas. "You cannot enter edit town while the social worker is dropping off a new pet for your household." Ugh! I will certainly never make this mistake again. Any ideas? Is it possible to somehow get around the issue of not being allowed to enter edit town using MC or something?
    Wait, don't give up hope yet. You have a stuck scenario taking place, not necessarily a corrupt save.

I understand that the game will not let you enter Edit Town. But seriously, if you use MC to switch households, you are blocked from doing that as well?

As for Overwatch, it's not the nightly scan that would fix this. It's the startup scan. If the MC trick above doesn't work, can you save the game, quit completely, and reload to let OW do it's thing properly upon startup?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited March 2015
    Oh I see...situation vs. scenario. I'm not sure that OW will see the pet adoption as "broken" when it does it's nightly run. But I do think it should step in and see it as "bogus" or whatever the designation is on its startup run. It's worth a try, anyway.

Edit: Ah, and I've got another brilliant (?) idea. On City Hall, do MC > Sim > Advanced > Total Annihilation > (Filter to Type of Service) and see if you can rid your game entirely of the pet social worker.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Well the weirdness continues!!

I hadn't tried switching households using MC (duh!) so now I did, then switched back....and they now have a kitten listed, but it's a different one than they had chosen (both in look/breed and in name). I looked in the phone though, and the option to call the adoption place is still grayed out with the "wait for the social worker" message, and same in not letting me enter "edit town"!! The game got completely unplayably slow when I did the household switches so I had to quit and will now re-open and see what kind of madness greets me.
    Ok - so yes, we now have some random kitten but still get the social worker message if I try to edit town etc
    Have you tried using MC to TA (totally annihilate) the pet social worker?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited March 2015
    Just tried it - didn't work. Thought you were on to something there!!
    So did I. Are you certain there are no pet social workers left in town and have you tried saving, quitting and reloading after TAing them?

If that's no help, then it's time to post this question at NRaas. We must be missing some other relatively obvious way to break through the stuck scenario.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Chatterbox (free registration required to post)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    In currently in the process of saving and quitting right now, then will restart with fingers crossed and report back!
    edited March 2015
    No luck :( I'll make a post on NRAAS tomorrow! Thank you both for trying to help!!!!
    Post edited by KWatson813 on
    Good news!! I got this issue resolved. Wanted to post an update in case anyone has this issue in the future and sees this thread.

I ended up opening a slightly older save from right after the problem started. (In this save I had NOT yet tried switching households or total annihilation). I went in and did TA, getting rid of the pet adoption social worker, saved and quit. When I opened that save back up today, the problem has been resolved!! I'm so grateful to not lose my game, to say that I'm attached to this family is an understatement. Thank you so much @igazor !!
    From the way you described things, I don't think your game was ever really in danger of getting lost entirely. We just had to find the right combination of creative maneuvers to break that stuck pet adoption situation thing.

Glad you worked it out and keep making those saved copies of games that are important to you as your story progresses! :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    It's great to have an older save to go back to if something goes wrong.
  • ntomp2ntomp2 Posts: 1 New Member
    I have had the same problem... But SOLUTION FOUND!! After hours of research throughout the game I found out that the pet is assigned to the house not the family when its arriving, so what you need to do is...

1. GIVE YOUR HOUSEHOLD A LOT OF MONEY! ITS GONNA BE NEEDED (100,000 - 999,999)
    1. testingcheatsenabled true
    2. moveobjects on
    3. delete each sim in the household by clicking on them and pressing delete (note: you must exit build/buy mode after each person)
    4. Then the house will become inactive, you will now be able to edit town...!
    5. Once in edit town click on your household and click split household, move all sims to a new lot except one. (thats the catch you can't have your old house at all, even entering an exact copy wont work)
    6. Then move the remaining sim to the new house.
    7. Click on that household and start playing.

All fixed!!!! Note: please do not ever use the phone to adopt a pet again... instead go to the household directly and adopt pet from neighbor.

Happy Simming!
    edited August 2016
    ntomp2 wrote: »
    I have had the same problem... But SOLUTION FOUND!! After hours of research throughout the game I found out that the pet is assigned to the house not the family when its arriving, so what you need to do is...

1. GIVE YOUR HOUSEHOLD A LOT OF MONEY! ITS GONNA BE NEEDED (100,000 - 999,999)
    1. testingcheatsenabled true
    2. moveobjects on
    3. delete each sim in the household by clicking on them and pressing delete (note: you must exit build/buy mode after each person)
    4. Then the house will become inactive, you will now be able to edit town...!
    5. Once in edit town click on your household and click split household, move all sims to a new lot except one. (thats the catch you can't have your old house at all, even entering an exact copy wont work)
    6. Then move the remaining sim to the new house.
    7. Click on that household and start playing.

All fixed!!!! Note: please do not ever use the phone to adopt a pet again... instead go to the household directly and adopt pet from neighbor.

Happy Simming!

I'm sorry, but no. :/

What you have described here would be a way to put your game in danger of breaking entirely. At no time should sims of any kind be testingcheats shift-click deleted. Doing so deletes their bodies while keeping their data in the game, thus causing the potential for all kinds of corruption. There are usually better ways to get out of a stuck pet adoption scenario.

For those not averse to using mods, as was stated on this thread over a year ago, a much safer way to adopt pets from the town's adoption roster is to use MasterController's Adopt Pet function rather than the phone. You get the same animal choices, just without the pet adoption social worker scenario that so often gets stuck.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • justme303justme303 Posts: 3 New Member
    Im sorry but this makes no since to me as I cant find the MoveObject On when I am in testing cheats and I am having the issue above, can you post a screen shot ? so I can see
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top