Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stealing and Posting Original Builds/Rooms/Households

Comments

• LadyDaKareLadyDaKare Posts: 212 Member
    @AnnLee87 Being that you are an artist in your professional life, I can understand why you feel the way you do. In the real world, as an artist, you have creative and legal license to the paintings you make.

We all recognize that this is a game and EA owns everything. No debate there.

What we are asking for is that as the Original creator have more control over their creations that are posted to the Gallery. We want to post them. We want to share them. We want others to enjoy them. Don't care what they do with them in their game. They can do whatever they want with it. But they can't repost it if we have chosen to close that option out.

@BryonyRae had some excellent ideas of how they would have to default to being the way it is now because of the impact on past uploads. But future creations would be more controlled by the Original Creator. Thus, if I wanted to put a build up and share it with you but didn't want to give you the option of reposting it, I reserve that control.

That's what we are hoping to bring to the Developers. Hey, it's a good thing for them. Gives them another aspect of coding in the game to work on, which means job security for them. It also means they'll keep Simmers coming back and buying expansion packs and the like. I stopped buying TS3 EP because of what I saw going on. EA lost money. This is a way for them to actually make more. This is good business sense.

Making it better for the creative Simmers is great business for EA. A Win-Win. Now we need everyone's help getting the attention of the Developers and helping them make this a reality.

• Zita1966zZita1966z Posts: 9,641 Member
    I agree with everybody 2 find a solution 4 an obvious frustrating problem. It would be a waste of time 2 repeat everything that has already been said. Everyone on this thread has made a valid point which a fully agree with I'm even in agreement with some of the statements made by @roomouse but my point is a wee bit different

Stolen, borrowed, tweaked, re-done, re-uploaded etc are all just different words 4 the same thing. "I took your build - and told the world it was me who build it". My builds have been taken (I'll use this word) so many times that I even receive message after message on my profile...Zita this and that has stolen your build (with directions etc lol)

At first I was annoyed and yes irritated especially when maxis fav Rossouw Manor and then another person re-uploaded it (Even though it was altered I recognized it immediately) and maxis fav it again lol This time the fav went to the re-uploader. For obvious reason I was not upset with maxis but angry at the uploader...but this is were the story change course and I agree with @roomouse. I contacted the uploader on her profile and very nicely (thank goodness I was nice) asked her if she new that what she did was considered "stealing"

She did come back to me and was very upset that she possibly could have done something wrong, apologised and said she would remove it immediately (Now don't all shout at me at once please) I told her not to remove it - simple reason, she was a mere child and did not even know what she did was wrong. THATS MY POINT - we forget that this game was originally created for the kids and honestly I never know (except 4 my friends) if I am dealing with an adult or a child.

Attacking people left and right because they stole your build could have serious and maybe even terrible results, especially if you are dealing with a child. You never know how they might handle it -

(Ok I can still here you shouting lol) With my next stolen build (Honolulu Tiki Bar has been stolen 5 times and re-uploaded as their own) I just commented on the changes that they have made.

I know this is not what everybody might have expected me to say but my builds get taken often and re-uploaded and at this point (I am being brutely honest) I don't care anymore. If it makes someone else happy then so be it.

OK so now the whole forum is probably mad at me again - Please guys I am not defending them (the robbers lol) It is wrong but the solution should be easier -

My suggestion??

1.I like the communicating part the best. Be nice, talk 2 them and ask them 2 give you credit 4 your build. If they refuse or what ever the outcome, (Ouch I can hear people screaming at me again) let it be and report them - That is what Moderators are there 4

2. Maybe some sort of technical intervention from EA could work - but this would be my 2nd option.

3. I read so many postings in the gallery (and the language...o dear) of people attacking and threatening...4 what? At the end of the day it still is only a game and my lively-hood definitely does not depend on the game.

5. Maybe these people can't build like most of us - maybe they just think : O this is sooo pretty, I wanna share with others - there are also the deliberate chancres that know exactly what they are doing is wrong - but I don't wanna take that chance again - I leave them and comment on the build if I feel up2 it. I hear shouting again....

Ok so I'll end by saying this: I stand with everything I said above BUT I fully support and understand each and every builder's agony with this issue but it could be a loosing battle to fight unless the Guru's unite with the cause

Peace and happy Valentines Day 2 you all <3<3<3

I still hear shouting lol
    @Zita1966 "Shouting at you". LOL. No, definitely not. I absolutely respect your point of view and how you have come to terms with the issue. Great for you.

There was one point you made that I really want to respond to and that is this game is played by children and they may indeed be very innocent. Absolutely, attacking a child or any person really shouldn't be taking place. After all this is a PG game. But, I think adults forget that. As for teenagers....ah teenagers. Adult's just don't understand and any way to "stick it to them" is just something teenagers the world over do.

This is why giving the Original Creator the option to allow or disallow reuploading such a great idea.

@ByronyRae came up with a really great idea on how this could possibly be added to the code - another field that when uploading says, open for repost or closed for repost. And as @TheGreenLion put it, this would eliminate the hurt feelings Original Creators experience when they see their Original Designs stolen as was expressed by @AnnLee87 and @blue_diamant. We can eliminate the problem while keeping the game enjoyable for all!

Thanks for your stories and sharing your thoughts with us. Much appreciated.
  • MesapeakMesapeak Posts: 7 New Member
    Yes, this guy has been a pain, watch out for him.
  • sherryalexissherryalexis Posts: 17 New Member
    I just "accidentally" found out that someone re-uploaded one of my houses today, and I found this thread. I received no credit. This is extremely frustrating. Someone else made a YouTube video with the house too... In the description of the video it said, "I found this house on the Gallery and it was made by [Name that's not me]."
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    edited March 2015
    First off let me say I have not uploaded any rooms or lots to the gallery. I am finding building to be very difficult with sims 4. Yesterday I was struggling with building a new house for my sim family after searching th gallery and not finding what I wanted. I decided to look for a kitchen and living room to be a starting point. Today I was having trouble with these rooms. Some things had disappeared. I thought maybe if I loaded them to my library and then redownloaded them maybe the missing things would show up.

I was very surprised to see that I had become the creator of these 2 rooms. I had made some changes to one but the other was the exact same room. Now I would really like to find who made these rooms to add to the description in my library. I was able to find the living room and add that person as the creator but I can not find the kitchen.

I don't know if the same thing happens with houses when they are loaded directly into the game from the gallery but it should be the same as if I load from the gallery to my library with the persons name who created it.

Anyway it would be nice if ea could somehow make the original creators name stick in all instances. I really appreciate the hard work and creativity people put into their houses and rooms and it would really be a shame if they had to stop sharing because of what I am pretty sure is a handful of inconsiderate people.
    @sherryalexis That is a real shame. You might want to consider reaching out to the person who made the YouTube video and help set the record straight as to who the original builder is. Sounds to me like the YouTube person is trying to give credit where credit is due and if you can show (by the upload dates) you are the original creator I think the YouTube person will be happy to change who receives credit. There are many players who do indeed try to give the original creator credit and, I say, if they've made a mistake help them correct it. As for the person who stole your creation, that's the reason for this post. That's the root of this problem.
    @suzanna13 Whenever you "save new" to your library it will automatically cause the "Original By" to disappear. If you are saving rooms to a lot and building a bigger creation around them, like a house, and you save that entire lot, it is now your design. In this particular case, that would be somewhat accurate. You only used 1 room in the creation of an entire house. I do this with lots I create all the time. I do, however, give "Shout Outs" in the comments and on my Showcase thread to the original designer of the room I used. I also take the time to go to their profile and let them know I've used one of their rooms in a build I posted.

Why are things disappearing on you. That's easy. This is most likely a situation where you are loading the room or house onto the lot from the main menu. You need to go to the lot in build mode, turn on MOO (CTRL + C then type bb.moveobjectson) and then place the room or the house on the lot. That should take care of objects disappearing. You may still get some that disappear and those are usually hidden objects like crystals. Some people get them to show up just fine while for others they don't and I think that has to do with MODS being run or not. I run a MOD that has hidden objects on so they always show up for me.

As far as building in TS4, it's easier, but it takes a while to get used to the tools. You need to play around with them, use the foundation cheats to get things to move up the walls, use MOO, and play with it. The roofs took me a while to get the gist of and in many ways I still struggle. I've asked other Simmers how they make things happen in their builds I couldn't figure out how to do. I replicate it, practice it, and practice it some more until I get it the way I want it. It does take time to get good at it, but it's powerful building tools and they are a lot of fun. So, don't give up.

Hope that answers your questions on some of the areas you mentioned you were struggling with. If no, feel free to contact me directly with specific questions and I will answer to the best of my ability, or at the least, point you to someone else who can answer.

As for making the Original Creators signature stick, well, that's what this entire forum thread is about. Some ideas have been sent to Maxis HQ and we are hopeful that they will be worked on. But, Maxis did hear us because they put the "Original By" stamp on to begin with. That didn't exist in TS3. Now we just need to follow thru.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I posted an partly furnished house with invites to furnish and it was later finished off - and - though the name of the new poster was listed Maxis listed me as "original" poster. So the later poster (or Maxis)? had credited me with the "before" version.

I think this is the way to go. I love to see my houses furnished as I have a limited imagination.
    @Mchap353 that's great to hear. That would be under one of the suggestions where there is a collaboration. Whether purposeful or just left open and someone takes it and furnishes it, both creators would receive credit.
  • Freckles1971Freckles1971 Posts: 507 Member
    I have found that if you download a house say from MTS and place the lot then decide that you dont like it and then delete it,then go and build a house of your own on the same lot then save it to the gallery it shows up as the same name as the downloaded house from the gallery.

I dont know if this happens if you change the lot/house name though? And if you change the name then save it to the gallery does it change to the new name or is it stil the same as before?
    @Freckles1971 Yes this does happen. The work around this is the same as what people do to post lots they take and repost as their own. You do a save new and it will show you as the original by.

This is part of the problem that currently exists. We have recommended that when you place a downloaded lot or room from another then bulldoze it, that should automatically reset the original by. Save new should not do this. Maxis seems to have it slightly backwards. We're hoping this will be fixed.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    I have found that if you download a house say from MTS and place the lot then decide that you dont like it and then delete it,then go and build a house of your own on the same lot then save it to the gallery it shows up as the same name as the downloaded house from the gallery.

I dont know if this happens if you change the lot/house name though? And if you change the name then save it to the gallery does it change to the new name or is it stil the same as before?

you can rename a lot. but i do wonder how often this simple mistake happens.
    LadyDaKare wrote: »
    @Freckles1971 Yes this does happen. The work around this is the same as what people do to post lots they take and repost as their own. You do a save new and it will show you as the original by.

This is part of the problem that currently exists. We have recommended that when you place a downloaded lot or room from another then bulldoze it, that should automatically reset the original by. Save new should not do this. Maxis seems to have it slightly backwards. We're hoping this will be fixed.

ceejay402 wrote: »

I tried to recreate this last night by downloading a house,placing it then booldozing it. The same thing happend. Even when I renamed the lot,it still turned up in the gallery as the origonal lot builders name/house name.

I take it this is a glitch within the game itself and not user made?

• urygauryga Posts: 559 Member
    Its a EA thing. I've down loaded stuff from the site and then it ended up in my Posting site that I made it, when I didn't.
    If it's really stressing you out, then here's a "Pat on the back" and a "WOW, You did a Good Job"

I tried to recreate this last night by downloading a house,placing it then booldozing it. The same thing happend. Even when I renamed the lot,it still turned up in the gallery as the origonal lot builders name/house name.

interesting! there is the gallery feedback sticky in 4 GD you may want to share that there as well.
    edited March 2015

interesting! there is the gallery feedback sticky in 4 GD you may want to share that there as well.

Thanks for the reply. I'll post it in there as well. B)
    This isn't the thread for this issue @ceejay402 and @Freckles1971 There is another post that speaks to this

This thread isn't to discuss what is wrong and the frustrations we have with it but rather a space to explore ideas on possible solutions Maxis can employe.

This isn't the thread for this issue @ceejay402 and @Freckles1971 There is another post that speaks to this

This thread isn't to discuss what is wrong and the frustrations we have with it but rather a space to explore ideas on possible solutions Maxis can employe.

Ok :) not sure how this was off topic nor required this type of response but thank you
    Hey folks! Want to clarify a few things on this post to ensure we don't go off topic. This post is about finding possible solutions to the problem many, not all, Simmers experience with positing original creations and having them taken and re-posted without any recognition as the original creator, let alone permission. In some instances this has even gone so far as a re-posting being favored by Maxis and the re-post is no different than the original.

We are exploring ways to make this work better for all Simmers while giving the Original Creators some "protection" from those Simmers who completely disregard the Original Creator.

The "Original by" tag does stick when it shouldn't and doesn't stick when it should. And yes, that is a known issue and one of the core problems that we are talking about. But, the emphasis is on exploring solutions to the problem. In a previous post by @BryonyRae she shared that the "Original By" tag should only change and a lot be shareable after a lot was bulldozed - "It would only become available to share after the downloader has bulldozed the lot". How to make this happen, she talked about in detail, including the programming issues that might be involved.

Furthermore, we have invited the Gurus to the thread to share with them our ideas and solutions so that they can share with the programmers and developers. Again, the point is to work to find solutions to the problem. Anyone who has suggestions on how the issue of Re-posting original builds can be handled is more than welcome to share them here.

Please read previous posts to see what solutions have already been discussed and the responses to them. If it is a suggestion you thought of as well, you may add to that conversation. If it is completely new, we'd love to hear about it!

• islarosexivislarosexiv Posts: 454 Member
    edited May 2015
    Sorry, I'm reviving a dead thread.

I love the idea of collaborative lots (w/ multiple creator credits), especially if a creator is burnt out on interior decorating, or if they're stumped as to the exterior design of a house. This would be a great feature that would allow for stronger community ties.

I've only caught a few lots of mine that were stolen, and I always comment simply that the lot is a re-upload of my original creation. Then I'll flag it if need be, to get it removed from the gallery.

I have frequently discovered fantastic lots, only to find out that they were stolen, and in some cases, the "theif" gets more recognition for their stolen lot than the original creator. So, as seems to be standard, I'll comment that the lot is a re-upload, and include the name of the original creator. Before nominating lots for Maxis attention, I try to check and see if the lot is a duplicate, but if it's been renamed it's rather difficult to track copies down.

It does seem like often times a user just might not understand how the gallery works, or that what they're doing is wrong. I've seen one of my lots re-uploaded (and it wasn't a very popular one) from a bad angle, and thought that the user must have accidentally hit "share" instead of "save". I could be wrong, and I do know some users certainly intend to do it maliciously.

I don't think flagging is the solution (although, a "stolen" flag allowing for maxis review would be nice) as that can easily be abused. While the player regulation can help (as stated earlier, I've often been redirected to original content creators via someone in the comments), it would be nice if the "original by" credit tag couldn't be so easily circumvented. It's a problem within the community, and I think campaigns to not only inform players about the problem, but also to show community support of stopping it, can play a big role (i.e., Isleroux's #StopStealing campaign).
    Gallery: Islaroses
    Build Showcase: Islaroses
    Simblr: islarosesims.tumblr.com
    Sims Mobile: NJUTWNP

• BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @islarosexiv Just wanted to let you know that Maxis has been working on locking down the Original By. You shouldn't be seeing quite as many re-uploads that are missing the creator credits as before. Unfortunately, there are still a couple of loopholes that people have discovered, but we're hoping to see them closed within the next patch or two. Thanks for noting the Original By on the re-uploads you find. I do the same, and I think we're helping to inform people that don't realize what they're doing as well as keeping the deliberate perpetrators in check. At any rate, I see a lot more re-uploaders deliberately noting the Original By these days, which I take as a step in the right direction.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • islarosexivislarosexiv Posts: 454 Member
    @BryonyRae Thank you for the update. :) I'm glad to hear that they're making progress on this issue!
    Gallery: Islaroses
    Build Showcase: Islaroses
    Simblr: islarosesims.tumblr.com
    Sims Mobile: NJUTWNP

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I set up a thread because of somebody uploading something of mine and was called a liar and a bully because of it the thread was later locked And I was told the forums are not the place to name and shame people who upload other work!
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Well, this thread wasn't set up with the intention of naming and shaming anyone. I know sometime back in the thread, one poster did bring up a specific instance and named the re-uploader but prior to that and afterward the thread was kept focused on the issue at hand. I'm sorry that happened to you @marcel21, and I can understand why you posted about it, but I would agree that the forums really aren't the place for specifics. I think communicating on the lot in question and on the uploader's profile (if it's open for comment) tend to be pretty effective if done politely.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations