March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Issues with Mods and CC in The Sims 4 on Mac

SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
Hi Simmers,

Some people using Mods and Custom Content on the Mac version of The Sims 4 have experienced problems. Below is a summary of the issues we are aware of:
  • ISSUE 1: Use of Script Mods will cause the game to crash on boot on Mac. This is fixed in patch 1.4.103.1210. released Feb 20, 2015.
  • ISSUE 2: Some Custom Content will crash when selecting it in Create A Sim on Mac. This is fixed in patch 1.4.103.1210. released Feb 20, 2015. Since there is so much custom content available, we cannot say for certain that the patch will fix *every* instance of this type of crash, but we expect it will correct a significant majority of them.
  • ISSUE 3: A fix for this issue was released 5/4/2015 in patch 1.6.69.1220. With this patch the OS file limit no longer limits the amount of Mods and CC that can be installed.

The game is unstable, or the game fails to start with the following error when custom content is installed: “Unable to Start. Initialization error at startup.” This is related to an open file count limit setting in OS X and is more likely to occur when many custom content files are installed.

An improvement for this issue was released 3/10/2015 in patch 1.4.114.1210. With this patch we now recommend not having more than 1000 package files in your Mod directory or else you risk game stability issues. We are investigating a further fix to eliminate this limit, no eta on that fix at this time.

Alternately, if you want to have more than 1000 package files, you can use the below workaround which will change the OS file limit for all applications and will correct the issue. However this solution can cause system instability if applied incorrectly or in some special cases (see “Important Notes” below) so use at your own risk. It is recommended that you close all applications before applying the fix for the first time in case you do experience problems. Once again use at your own risk!
    Step 1: Open a terminal window. The terminal application can be found by doing a spotlight search for “terminal”.

Step 2: Type the following command in the terminal depending on your OSX version (Note that the commands are case sensitive):
    On OSX 10.10
    sudo launchctl limit maxfiles unlimited
    <You will be asked to enter system administrator's password to complete the command>

On OSX 10.7, 10.8, 10.9
    launchctl limit maxfiles 10240 10240

Step 3: Run The Sims 4

Important Notes:
    * These steps will need to be performed every time you reboot your Mac prior to launching The Sims 4. If you fail to do so, the problem will return.
    * In the case of 10.7, 10.8 and 10.9 there is an explicit number specified on the command (10240) this is the default maximum value allowed by OSX, but if your system has been configured with a larger setting then you will experience system instability and probably your machine will require a hard reboot.

• ISSUE 4: Custom Content placed within subdirectories of the Mods directory not appearing in game for some people on Mac. This is due to the contents of the "Mods" folder being copied directly over from the PC. If you copied your Mods folder over from the PC, delete the file "Documents->Electronic Arts->The Sims 4->Mods->Resource.cfg" and the game will regenerate it in proper Mac format on next launch. One caveat: if you have manually edited this file on the PC then you will probably want to manually convert that file to Mac format by changing backslashes in directory paths to forward slashes in a text editor.

Note all of these issues are Mac specific, and do not occur on the PC.

Thanks for everyone on the forums that reported and helped diagnose issues, that helped immensely in tracking down these issues.

-SimGuruModSquad
Post edited by SimGuruModSquad on

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Thanks for the official announcement @SimGuruModSquad.
    apple-signature.png
  • dancingindiordancingindior Posts: 159 Member
    Hi @SimGuruModSquad‌ in relation to no3. I had that issue with if I changed the cfg file to allow more sub folders. It rectified when I changed it back to the original. Also happened when I added a certain piece of cc. Just a little feedback! Thanks for addressing these issues so quickly!
  • SimGuruModSquadSimGuruModSquad Posts: 597 Member
    Update: Patch 1.4.103.1210 was released today. Original post above has been updated. Thanks all.
  • skeletoncath20skeletoncath20 Posts: 13 New Member
    Does anyone know how/when we will know how to solve the fourth issue addressed?
  • ErikTheRodErikTheRod Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2015
    > @skeletoncath20 said:
    > Does anyone know how/when we will know how to solve the fourth issue addressed?

If you are comfortable using the terminal you can use these commands:

cd ~/Documents/Electronic\ Arts/The\ Sims\ 4/Mods/
    cat Resource.cfg | sed 's.\\./.g' > Resource_fixed.cfg
    cp Resource.cfg Resource_old.cfg
    mv Resource_fixed.cfg Resource.cfg

These commands will replace all backslashes with forward slashes, move the old file to 'Resource_old.cfg' and the fixed one into place as 'Resource.cfg'
  • pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    edited February 2015
    @skeletoncath20 if you’d actually read the announcement, you’d know how to solve it.
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
  • AndyBrainsAndyBrains Posts: 218 Member
    Have I done something wrong? My game still crashes after todays patch.
    With script mods my game still crashes, without the game runs fine. I haven't noticed any change with this new patch. :(
    No CC or Mods, and I'm experience issues, my game won't save or load properly, and it appears I've lost quite a few of my saved games.
  • skeletoncath20skeletoncath20 Posts: 13 New Member
    edited February 2015
    @pbox I did read the announcement. But I've heard that deleting the Resource.cfg file will cause the game to stop working.
    Update to "ISSUE 3" posted above.
    @AndyBrains :
    Can you try to narrow down what script mods are causing the game to fail to launch? Or is it just any script mod?
    As for the lost saved games, that sounds like an unrelated issue. That't the first I have heard of an issue like that, if you have any more details that would be appreciated.

@skeletoncath20‌ :
    If you did not copy your "Mods" folder from a PC then "ISSUE 4" does not apply to you and you are likely experiencing a different issue.
    Deleting Documents->Electronic Arts->The Sims 4->Mods->Resource.cfg is safe (assuming you have not made custom modifications to it). Any other Resource.cfg file in the game's data directories are definitely NOT safe to remove, but deleting the one in the Mods directory is safe and will not stop the game from working.
  • emptyjerrycanemptyjerrycan Posts: 3 New Member
    Except for a mod that allows clutter items to be placed anywhere, all my package files so far are CAS Items. Most of them are additional basegame recolors and hairstyles. Moving them from the Mods folder seems to have an effect in some cases. The game often loads up on a black screen and closes again before it even shows any of the intro logo's. Removing certain CC files lets the intro logo's show up but still causes the game to close down identically as before. An identical line-up of files that allowed the game to load previously, might not let the game load another time.
    Either way, even without the CC that prevents the game from running in the first place, the game still doesn't actually run properly. CAS seems to do a great job, except for a few random crashes in the middle of character creation that I don't have an immediate explanation for. It's happened two, perhaps three times, so far, once earlier today.

Perhaps unrelated, loading the neighborhoods happens in a matter of seconds, but loading the household I placed seems to load to an endless loading screen. More importantly, quite often, the thumbnails for the empty lots will be replaced by greyscale pictures of llamas. I managed to actually load my family for about half an hour earlier today, but saved the world and closed again because I was dissatisfied with the framerate and the smoothness, so I wanted to change graphics settings and reboot. Upon reloading the game, couldn't get into the household again.

I imagine I might be able to play without any CC at all (though it seems very strange the CAS items would be having an effect on neighborhood lot thumbnails), but don't know what the effect will be. I cannot post any links, but the items that prevent the game from loading at all are simple recolors by Rope, and hairstyles by MyStuff. In my Mods folder is stuff by Rusty, WhirlyFlower, SimSnacks, tamo, ATS4 and "Unlock CAS Parts" by Fogity.
    edited February 2015
    @emptyjerrycan‌ I suspect all of the issues you have described are due to ISSUE 3, please see above.
    It's any script mod. I've tried using, Work/Study harder, Less Stuff Breaks, Put Books Away, TestingCheats Always ON, Realistic Bills, etc.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I put in the following script mods: Enable Bug Cheats, TestingCheats Always ON, Realistic Bills and Motive Decay, and no issues with crashing at least in the brief time I played (just went into Manage Neighborhoods to get the campsite ready for my Sims to go camping this weekend). I'll see how the game does with actual gameplay. (Thanks for the reminder about Less Stuff Breaks; I need to get that one back in as well.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    Haha I'm jealous, that's weird that it's working for you, maybe there's something I'm missing, I even repaired the game but no luck. I but it's the limit of mods. I gotta check that.
  • Hannah707Hannah707 Posts: 20 New Member
    @SimGuruModSquad
    Than you so much for staying on top of this! Putting in the command has fixed all of my problems!! (so far)
    :smile:
    OKay I checked and I have over 35 CC files, not including script mods, and my game works. So I'm going to check if only having say 5-10 script mods and no CC will work. :)
    The solution for ISSUE 3 works! While it will be annoying to enter the code all the time, at least I can play the way I want. Thanks! :)
  • ElairkirbyElairkirby Posts: 3 New Member
    @simsgurumodsquad I'm still having the same issue with number 3. Went to terminal and my computer refuses to let me enter the code. Game is still crashing with custom content, though it got slightly better with the patch. I know you don't have an ETA on the fix, but I'm happy you're working on it. Half the fun for me is having all my CC. Thanks for being on it and let us know when you have an idea of what's going on! It's killing me right now!
  • amuromaxamuromax Posts: 32 Member
    ErikTheRod wrote: »
    > @skeletoncath20 said:
    > Does anyone know how/when we will know how to solve the fourth issue addressed?

If you are comfortable using the terminal you can use these commands:

cd ~/Documents/Electronic\ Arts/The\ Sims\ 4/Mods/
    cat Resource.cfg | sed 's.\\./.g' > Resource_fixed.cfg
    cp Resource.cfg Resource_old.cfg
    mv Resource_fixed.cfg Resource.cfg

These commands will replace all backslashes with forward slashes, move the old file to 'Resource_old.cfg' and the fixed one into place as 'Resource.cfg'

You can actually fix this problem without using Terminal. Just open the Resource.cfg with TextEdit and manually edit it as you would in Windows then save it.
  • dancingindiordancingindior Posts: 159 Member
    Can anyone tell me what this is??

ScreenShot2015-02-21at124055_zps17eb536f.png
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Can anyone tell me what this is??

ScreenShot2015-02-21at124055_zps17eb536f.png

Errr, a prancing llama?? Why's that come up?

apple-signature.png
  • caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    There was something about that llama image when the CAS demo was out:
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/08/black-screen-with-llama-picture/

Either that or a zoo is opening in town!

GeneralSig_SF_03.png