Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I run it on OS X or Bootcamp?

So I'm (definitely) installing bootcamp (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit) so I can play the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection which I have in my Origin game library. However, will I be better off playing the Sims 4 on the bootcamp partition or just install the Sims 4 on OS X? Here are my mac's specs:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012)
1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Does/is anyone running the Sims 4 on bootcamp and/or OS X. If both, which works better; if not, how does it run on either??? Thanks!!!

Comments

• ChumchaChumcha Posts: 22 New Member
    until issues with the 4000 are worked out you might have a better experience on a partition. There's a weird CAS glitch with that card unless you have all the settings set to low, and some people are having issues regardless.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I have both... My experience
    - on windows OS, it runs faster but generates a lot more heat,thus louder fan
    - On OS X , it runs slower (3-5 seconds slower when loading lots) but heat issue less severe (fan still on and quite loud though)
  • conday884conday884 Posts: 19 New Member
    > @jimbbq said:
    > I have both... My experience
    > - on windows OS, it runs faster but generates a lot more heat,thus louder fan
    > - On OS X , it runs slower (3-5 seconds slower when loading lots) but heat issue less severe (fan still on and quite loud though)
    Were there any differences graphically or performance wise other than load times? Like was there more lag on bootcamp or OS X. Also what graphic settings did you have on OS X versus bootcamp - or were they the same? Sorry for so many questions, but I appreciate your help!!!
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I go with @chumcha on this -- till they get the kinks worked out with the Intel 4000 graphics, you'd be best off playing it on the Windows side since you're Boot Camping to play Sims 2 anyway.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • tarynkaybtarynkayb Posts: 60 Member
    edited February 2015
    I've found that my game runs better on my Windows partition (higher graphic quality with less lag). And if you're a person who likes to download things, Sims 4 on OS X is having some serious crashing issues with CC.
    Ok thanks everyone! So the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Takes up about 12 gb of space and I know the Sims 4 will take up about 10, so if I set my partition to 40 gb will that be enough for both the Sims 2 and the Sims 4 with some future gamepacks or expansion packs?
  • SkewedReality04SkewedReality04 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Until it's fixed im sticking with Windows. I shouldnt be required to do any extra work for my game to play, and in my mac side i have to.
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    For me, it runs better on mac. It ran great on bootcamp too but for some reason my sound & trackpad never worked on bootcamp so I had to use headphones and the arrow keys to navigate. It got pretty annoying but now I can play with all of that. I don't have a 4000 card though.
    WLfAA9V.png
    conday884 wrote: »
    Ok thanks everyone! So the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Takes up about 12 gb of space and I know the Sims 4 will take up about 10, so if I set my partition to 40 gb will that be enough for both the Sims 2 and the Sims 4 with some future gamepacks or expansion packs?

That will be enough for a while, but it may not support 13+ GPs/EPs. You can always add more space later though.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • tarynkaybtarynkayb Posts: 60 Member
    You have to take into consideration, too, that just the Windows OS can take up 15+ GB of space.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    > @jimbbq said:
    > I have both... My experience
    > - on windows OS, it runs faster but generates a lot more heat,thus louder fan
    > - On OS X , it runs slower (3-5 seconds slower when loading lots) but heat issue less severe (fan still on and quite loud though)
    Were there any differences graphically or performance wise other than load times? Like was there more lag on bootcamp or OS X. Also what graphic settings did you have on OS X versus bootcamp - or were they the same? Sorry for so many questions, but I appreciate your help!!!

I have the same graphic setting on both. That said however, I find the graphic on windows OS a bit better ever so slightly. I wonder if that has to do with the constant Nvidia graphic driver update on windows OS that improved the performance. However it is only very slightly better. On OS X the fan regulator seems to work better for me. The fan does go on but not to the loudest level if my graphic is set to low. The performance for me is the same on both OS, there is a bit more lag on OS X I noticed but it is negligible.
  • ErikTheRodErikTheRod Posts: 47 Member
    I recommend that Mac users play it under OS X, if possible. After all, why should EA bother to make a Mac version and maintain it if "we're all going to use Windows (BootCamp) anyways?" We need to make our voices heard and represent our platform. If there are issues, let's bring them to EA's attention and get them resolved as much as possible. We need to make it understood that the Mac platform is worthwhile for EA to develop for.

As for the Intel HD 4000 issues, I believe the Yosemite update helped a good few people with those issues. Any ongoing issues with that graphics card need to be sent to EA and the more the better (ups the priority of this issue).

That said, it can be a real hassle for people to install Windows under BootCamp just to play Sims 4 (not to mention buying a Windows license and the hard drive space of that partition). Many Mac users enjoy the benefits of OS X and the Apple ecosystem (iMessage, etc) and do not want to forego that just to play a game (myself included).

I have a Retina iMac with 5K resolution. Windows does not even support past 4K resolution so the only way I can realize the full potential is under OS X.

So OP, definitely give it a try and let us know how it goes. If you have issues, we can help you as much as possible.
    Ok. Thanks everyone!!! I've downloaded for Mac just to try it, and it works great! Even though in low settings it appears to be very smooth and polished graphic wise. The only thing wrong is the windows aren't clear but brown... Anyone know how to fix this????
  • magooo63magooo63 Posts: 360 Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi everyone, i have a question about loading this game on my Mac. I downloaded this game fine, but when i went to click the install button...... nada, nothing!!! not sure why. i was wondering if i need to upgrade my system to something other than Mac OS X 10.6.6 as i saw over 8gb of updates available. Im very green when it comes to the Mac, someone gave it to me cause they got a way better one. i have never upgraded it before. Can someone help here?

That will be enough for a while, but it may not support 13+ GPs/EPs. You can always add more space later though.

The only problem with adding more space later is you have to delete the Boot Camp partition then set it up again, which means backing up all your game files (saves, Tray, etc.) then reinstalling all the games later. Better to start with plenty of space now, depending on how much space you've got on your HD.

The only problem with adding more space later is you have to delete the Boot Camp partition then set it up again, which means backing up all your game files (saves, Tray, etc.) then reinstalling all the games later. Better to start with plenty of space now, depending on how much space you've got on your HD.

That's true. They might not have the space though. You can buy more (right?) -that's what I meant. :) I agree it would be so much easier if you have it though to add it now like stilljustme said!
    WLfAA9V.png
    magooo63 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, i have a question about loading this game on my Mac. I downloaded this game fine, but when i went to click the install button...... nada, nothing!!! not sure why. i was wondering if i need to upgrade my system to something other than Mac OS X 10.6.6 as i saw over 8gb of updates available. Im very green when it comes to the Mac, someone gave it to me cause they got a way better one. i have never upgraded it before. Can someone help here?

Try downloading the 8gb of updates and see if that helps anything. It's better to keep your mac updated always for the best performance.
    WLfAA9V.png
    magooo63 wrote: »

10.6.6 is Snow Leopard, I believe, which I think is below the minimum requirements. You might want to post this over at the Troubleshooting Thread, or check for @BluebellFlora's posts; she has a link in her sig to her blog on installing Sims 4 on a Mac. She's been helping Mac Simmers since Sims 3 and is awesome. B)