The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anybody fan running loud?

I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15inch (2014) and when playing the sims 4 the fan instantly cuts on and sound gets loud. I was hoping to play on high settings ( for my CC hair ) but that just made it louder and worse, even on low settings it is still loud? Does your fan run loud while playing? I tried resetting the SMC but that didn't help.

Comments

• ErikTheRodErikTheRod Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2015
    It's just the nature of gaming on a laptop. My Retina iMac fan comes out full boar pretty quickly when playing but performance never suffers.

Do you notice a decrease in performance or is it just the fan noise that bothers you? If you just want to reduce the fan noise, look into getting a cooling pad for your laptop (with a fan in it). These fans are usually larger and more quiet, allowing the computer temperature to stay lower, preventing the internal fan from needing to kick in.

Given the aluminum body of the Macbook Pro, these cooling pads should be able to dissipate the heat fairly effectively. Try to ensure a good centimeter air gap between the cooling pad and the bottom of the MBP.

There's not much else you can do about it.
  • bonnstraxxbonnstraxx Posts: 102 Member
    Mine definitely does. But it's nothing new for me, since it was exactly like this with Sims 3 as well. You kinda grow used to it. Just make sure you're letting air through the vents and not covering it with a blanket/fabric, it helps.
    tumblr_no8vxivBfl1s26dsio1_250_zpsh1ymw1es.gif
  • nightxchangesxxnightxchangesxx Posts: 2 New Member
    > @ErikTheRod said:
    > It's just the nature of gaming on a laptop. My Retina iMac fan comes out full boar pretty quickly when playing but performance never suffers.
    >
    > Do you notice a decrease in performance or is it just the fan noise that bothers you? If you just want to reduce the fan noise, look into getting a cooling pad for your laptop (with a fan in it). These fans are usually larger and more quiet, allowing the computer temperature to stay lower, preventing the internal fan from needing to kick in.
    >
    > Given the aluminum body of the Macbook Pro, these cooling pads should be able to dissipate the heat fairly effectively. Try to ensure a good centimeter air gap between the cooling pad and the bottom of the MBP.
    >
    > There's not much else you can do about it.

Nope haven't noticed any decrease in performance it is just really the fan noise that bothers me being that loud i'm not use to it, will grabbing a cooling pad from Amazon be fine or is there something specific i should look for before buying one?
  • AndyBrainsAndyBrains Posts: 218 Member
    I got myself a fan/cooling pad. It'll help, your Mac is precious so save it, don't let it over heat.
    > @nightxchangesxx said:
    > Nope haven't noticed any decrease in performance it is just really the fan noise that bothers me being that loud i'm not use to it, will grabbing a cooling pad from Amazon be fine or is there something specific i should look for before buying one?

Should do the trick. Just keep in mind you do get what you pay for with these things, so expect to spend $15-20 for a "good" one.

Typical rule of fans is that the bigger (in diameter) the fan, the slower it has to spin to move the air. Slower fans are usually more quiet so you'll want a pretty good sized (single fan). I don't have one myself to swear by, but I would stick to the "known" companies like Cooler Master and Thermaltake. You don't need to go all out with the fancy "gaming" fans with LEDs and whatnot.

To keep it as quiet and efficient as possible, don't go lower than 160mm fan size. I would try to stay under 2000 rpm as well (for noise), 1000 would be pretty good, though you'd likely be looking at 200mm fan size.
  • cesarmcesarm Posts: 1 New Member
    Im not used to the fan myself since I'm always on my iMac which is like 8-9 years old. Any suggestions on a good cooling pad?
    With the iMac, you're going to need something better than a cooling pad. You could try a box fan on low or something similar. I have also seen some USB fans that can pivot/arch, maybe some of those pointed at the back could help? You'll have to find out where it gets hot and try to apply a quieter cooling method to it.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I use one of these under my 15" MBP and it works like a dream. It doesn't have a fan because the aluminium really helps dissipate the heat, like the casing of your Mac :)

http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html
    apple-signature.png
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Mine is loud like hell even on low settings...Really annoyed me.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I recommend a Chillow (Cold Pillow) I believe they're sold at CVS I always have it under my laptop when I play, and or just play on a cold surface.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • virginblue4virginblue4 Posts: 40 Member
    Perfectly normal. If the GPU got too hot, it would shut off automatically. Apple didn't 'forget' to work out a cooling system on their devices, they look after and cool themselves. Unless there is a mechanical fault with the machine, you'll be fine. Happy simming! :smile:
    Can anyone recommend a laptop cooler for MBP which does not rely on having fans and plugged in to the laptop ?
    You could > @jimbbq said:
    > Can anyone recommend a laptop cooler for MBP which does not rely on having fans and plugged in to the laptop ?

Most of them are going to be USB-powered, but you could use a USB wall adapter to power them instead of your laptop. If you need a longer cable there are USB extenders as well, all of these are pretty cheap. I would recommend that your USB wall adapter be rated for at least 1A of power (not just 500mA).

Most newer smartphone or tablet chargers are rated for 1A or 2A, you could use that too.
    The more I play, the more my fans are kicking in REALLY loudly. I don't mean play as in hours at a time, I mean the frequency. I've never actually worried about this before but having used Macs in all forms for the last 25 years, for the first time I am worried at how frequently and noisily this is happening. I'm going to download iStat again and keep an eye on the temperature.
    apple-signature.png
    I think as long as our fan is going, our laptop will be fine in terms of heat, it is just so loud that it makes the game less fun!
  • sportgal18sportgal18 Posts: 113 Member
    My fan has been running loudly with The Sims 4, but it's not terrible yet. Maybe that's because I'm from Boston and it's only five degrees outside and I play near the window.
  • Michaela H.Michaela H. Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello :)
    The noise doesn´t really bother me because I play with headphones.
    But after 1-2 hours I always quit playing because I 'm really afraid that my MacBook breaks down. :D Can anybody tell me if this could really happen when I play for a few hours without a break? I have a Rain Design mStand so the circulation of air shouldn´t be a problem...

Please excuse my bad English grammar... :#
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    If you play on any kind of laptop, you need to make sure that it has plenty of space to insure that the fans can vent the heat. If your fan is too loud that means your computer is running hot. The newer MacBooks do not have fans however and you still need to make sure it has a nicely vented place to play.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @BlueBellFlora keep an eye on the Mac, fan issues and heat. I know you said it got better on Mac but it just may have gotten worse. CPU got worse since the new patch. Just spoke to someone who has a new 960m laptop and their cpu has gone to 94 c which is bad and this is the only game that does this. I hope its not effecting Mac too
    @BlueBellFlora keep an eye on the Mac, fan issues and heat. I know you said it got better on Mac but it just may have gotten worse. CPU got worse since the new patch. Just spoke to someone who has a new 960m laptop and their cpu has gone to 94 c which is bad and this is the only game that does this. I hope its not effecting Mac too

Thanks. Apple have switched over to AMD GPUs again thankfully. Don't forget they write their own drivers too. Still running better on my NVIDIA 650M 1Gb than it was before. El Capitan has really improved it. And I'm up to date patch wise.

apple-signature.png

Thanks. Apple have switched over to AMD GPUs again thankfully. Don't forget they write their own drivers too. Still running better on my NVIDIA 650M 1Gb than it was before. El Capitan has really improved it. And I'm up to date patch wise.

Its the CPU not the GPU causing the heat issues and the fans racing etc. Seems to be effecting laptop and like computers which some Mac might fall under laptop like. Just keep an eye on CPU temps since the new patch

Its the CPU not the GPU causing the heat issues and the fans racing etc. Seems to be effecting laptop and like computers which some Mac might fall under laptop like. Just keep an eye on CPU temps since the new patch

Macs that can support Metal, which was introduced with El Capitan, have shown significant CPU and GPU improvement thanks to the way it works. Hardly seeing any reports of this now.
    apple-signature.png

Macs that can support Metal, which was introduced with El Capitan, have shown significant CPU and GPU improvement thanks to the way it works. Hardly seeing any reports of this now.

Interesting well hopefully it's only PC
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I touched a new machine in the Apple shop without anything playing on it and it felt like getting a small electric shock.

Sims 4 is currently getting my powerful Windows laptop running hot even with the fan running underneath. This has only happened recently and I am only building houses at the moment.

Mchap353 wrote: »
    I touched a new machine in the Apple shop without anything playing on it and it felt like getting a small electric shock.

Sims 4 is currently getting my powerful Windows laptop running hot even with the fan running underneath. This has only happened recently and I am only building houses at the moment.

Please monitor your temps http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Open the app at desktop ,leave it open, start the game when you exit the game read the app. It will read your temps on everything.Pay close attention to cpu if your over 80 c on a laptop this is bad