Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Intel HD 4000 graphics cards

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Nope, same problem. For about 15 seconds it downloads at about 2 Mbps and then over the next 15 seconds or so goes all the way down until it freezes at 0 Mbps until I restart Origin.

I don't know, sorry :( I think maybe you should contact EA about it?

apple-signature.png
  • colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    apple computers are not made for gaming period

Actually, they make great gaming computers if you plan to use bootcamp as well. ;)
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    colton147 wrote: »
    apple computers are not made for gaming period

Actually, they make great gaming computers if you plan to use bootcamp as well. ;)

Not only on bootcamp though ;)
    WLfAA9V.png
  • ErikTheRodErikTheRod Posts: 47 Member
    > @brookesaywhatx said:
    > colton147 wrote: »
    >
    > sweetface44 wrote: »
    >
    > apple computers are not made for gaming period
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Actually, they make great gaming computers if you plan to use bootcamp as well.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Not only on bootcamp though

Was about to say.. I must be doing it wrong if I'm playing Sims 4 at 5K resolution on high settings. Ironic part is... Windows only supports up to 4K resolution so I can't even get the full experience without OS X.
    ErikTheRod wrote: »
    > @brookesaywhatx said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Actually, they make great gaming computers if you plan to use bootcamp as well.
    >
    >
    >
    >

Was about to say.. I must be doing it wrong if I'm playing Sims 4 at 5K resolution on high settings. Ironic part is... Windows only supports up to 4K resolution so I can't even get the full experience without OS X.

I know. I agree people should do their research when buying a mac but it bothers me when people straight up say that macs can't play games. It's not true at all. The graphics are amazing in my game so I must be doing something right lol.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    ErikTheRod wrote: »
    > @brookesaywhatx said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I know. I agree people should do their research when buying a mac but it bothers me when people straight up say that macs can't play games. It's not true at all. The graphics are amazing in my game so I must be doing something right lol.

Yeah like I couldn't get any higher than medium graphics on bootcamp but I can play high graphics in OS X.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • QueenDivettaQueenDivetta Posts: 1,332 Member

No worries, figured I'd ask. Thanks for trying! I've contacted them about this before, but you know how they are with help, especially to Mac users :p
    @brookesaywhatx @EAfan99 @ErikTheRod the people who say 'Macs aren't gaming computers' are usually ignorant, ill-informed and just quoting other PC users parrot fashion. They don't actually know why they think Macs aren't gaming computers, they just think they sound pretty cool saying it but actually they just look stupid. I used to ask them why they thought Mac weren't gaming computers but they never bothered responding because they couldn't. I just ignore them now.
    apple-signature.png

No worries, figured I'd ask. Thanks for trying! I've contacted them about this before, but you know how they are with help, especially to Mac users :p

Lol - yep!

apple-signature.png
  • KirasimsKirasims Posts: 5 New Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi!

I've been playing the game for a day now and so far it's been a nice experience. It crashed once, but I'm used to The Sims 3 crashing all the time, and when I loaded the game again it worked fine.
    I'm playing with medium/high resolutio, laptop mode off and it seems to be working all right, just that if I command + tab and start to browse something on the net (using firefox) it would go very slow, not a normal thing definitely. And the game starts to lag if I play too much but goes back to normal after a few moments, or if it doesn't I just restart the game.
    I didn't have any problems with CAS, but I was only once there.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
    Processor 2.5 GHz Inter Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk Macintosh HD
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024MB
    @brookesaywhatx @EAfan99 @ErikTheRod the people who say 'Macs aren't gaming computers' are usually ignorant, ill-informed and just quoting other PC users parrot fashion. They don't actually know why they think Macs aren't gaming computers, they just think they sound pretty cool saying it but actually they just look stupid. I used to ask them why they thought Mac weren't gaming computers but they never bothered responding because they couldn't. I just ignore them now.

I agree! I've noticed most of the people that say that have little to no knowledge about macs anyways. They repeat what they hear from other people. Its funny actually because I sit here everyday and play my game on high with NO issues, so how are you gonna tell me it simply isn't made for it?
    WLfAA9V.png
    Kirasims wrote: »
    Hi!

I've been playing the game for a day now and so far it's been a nice experience. It crashed once, but I'm used to The Sims 3 crashing all the time, and when I loaded the game again it worked fine.
    I'm playing with medium/high resolutio, laptop mode off and it seems to be working all right, just that if I command + tab and start to browse something on the net (using firefox) it would go very slow, not a normal thing definitely. And the game starts to lag if I play too much but goes back to normal after a few moments, or if it doesn't I just restart the game.
    I didn't have any problems with CAS, but I was only once there.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
    Processor 2.5 GHz Inter Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk Macintosh HD
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024MB

What OS are you using - Yosemite 10.10.2?

apple-signature.png
  • KirasimsKirasims Posts: 5 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > Kirasims wrote: »
    >
    > Hi!
    >
    > I've been playing the game for a day now and so far it's been a nice experience. It crashed once, but I'm used to The Sims 3 crashing all the time, and when I loaded the game again it worked fine.
    > I'm playing with medium/high resolutio, laptop mode off and it seems to be working all right, just that if I command + tab and start to browse something on the net (using firefox) it would go very slow, not a normal thing definitely. And the game starts to lag if I play too much but goes back to normal after a few moments, or if it doesn't I just restart the game.
    > I didn't have any problems with CAS, but I was only once there.
    >
    > MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
    > Processor 2.5 GHz Inter Core i5
    > Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    > Startup Disk Macintosh HD
    > Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024MB
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What OS are you using - Yosemite 10.10.2?

Sorry I forgot to put it, yes I am using Yosemite 10.10.2
    @Kirasims thanks :)
    apple-signature.png
    edited February 2015
    > @Kirasims said:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I've been playing the game for a day now and so far it's been a nice experience. It crashed once, but I'm used to The Sims 3 crashing all the time, and when I loaded the game again it worked fine.
    > I'm playing with medium/high resolutio, laptop mode off and it seems to be working all right, just that if I command + tab and start to browse something on the net (using firefox) it would go very slow, not a normal thing definitely. And the game starts to lag if I play too much but goes back to normal after a few moments, or if it doesn't I just restart the game.
    > I didn't have any problems with CAS, but I was only once there.
    >
    > MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
    > Processor 2.5 GHz Inter Core i5
    > Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    > Startup Disk Macintosh HD
    > Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024MB

Sounds memory related (as in you running low on memory). While 8 GB *sounded* like a lot a couple years ago, unfortunately it is not so much any longer. Between higher requirements in modern games along with higher memory usage in OS X versions, it ends up getting fully utilized quite quickly.

When an application requests more memory to be allocated than there is available (free), OS X will try a couple techniques to fulfill the request. Some of these techniques are "fast" (not very noticeable to the user), such as compressing current memory, freeing file-caches, or reclaiming memory used by recently closed applications. If this works, you will likely not notice any beach balling or slowdown in performance.

However, sometimes these techniques still are not sufficient to free up enough memory. OS X will then use your hard drive as what is called "swap space" (because these pages are swapped in and out of the actual RAM). Your 2012 MBP likely has a traditional spinning hard drive (likely 5400 rpm at that), which is far slower than physical RAM. So when this swapping occurs, there is a huge performance hit and thus this lag you experience.

The good news is, your 2012 MBP is upgradable to 16 GB of RAM, which I *highly recommend*. It'll run you under $200 and be well worth the upgrade. Writing this post on my iMac while Sims 4 is minimized and my memory usage is a tad over 13 GB, I'd say it would fix your issue.

I would also recommend upgrading to a solid state hard drive. They have become *crazy* affordable per GB and offer huge performance increases. If I had to recommend one, I'd say the Samsung Evo 840 drives are the way to go. You can get 250 GB for $150 now, and the difference is night and day.

With solid state drives, the performance hit for swap space is much lower because solid states are tremendously fast. They aren't as fast as physical RAM, but they are much closer than traditional spinning disks. That and your Sims 4 loading times will likely be cut down to mere seconds (along with every thing else in OS X!).
    > @QueenDivetta said:
    > BluebellFlora, I remember you from Sims 3 forums. Have you heard anything about glitches with the Origin client and Mac users? My origin slows down when downloading until it hits 0 network speed and I have to restart origin to reconnect - about every 30 seconds. This causes the download to take hours and even days to complete, with monitoring needed every 30 seconds or so (so nearly impossible).
    >
    > It's happened to me with two different games and on two different wifi connections (each with super fast connection and no interruptions). I haven't been able to play yet or find a solution, although I've found others with this issue. Please let me know if you can help!

Your issue is quite curious to me. That kind of network behavior leads me to believe *something* on your network (whether your equipment or your ISP) is throttling back Origin traffic. I remember this would occur on my old university's network with when using "certain peer-to-peer networking applications".

I can just about assure you that EA (no offense) won't be able to help you much because this *appears* to be a network issue. They will likely tell you that something on your network is doing this and there is nothing wrong with Origin itself. It would be nice to hear if other people have reported similar occurrences.

The best way to rule things out would be to try the following:

* Install Sims 4 on a Windows computer using Origin on you internet connection. If the problem persists, it's likely your network and not the Mac/Origin itself.

* If possible, try installing Sims 4 on your Mac using another internet connection. I would even say try at a public place like Starbucks or Panera Bread to see if the behavior occurs.

* Have a friend or family member bring their Mac over to your place and try downloading Sims 4 on it using your internet connection. This will help to see if its just your Mac.

I know it sounds like a hassle, but that's all troubleshooting really is -- process of elimination.
    @Kirasims @ErikTheRod that's why it's always worth purging RAM using Terminal or a 3rd party app. It was the only way to keep TS3 running without the debug error.
    apple-signature.png
  • conday884conday884 Posts: 19 New Member
    I'm running on OS X Yosemite with all settings on low, but 3D Scene Resolution on Medium and View Distance On High. I have 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, and Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB. It runs very smoothly (and doesn't look like it's on low :) however, there is a slight delay upon clicking something and the interactions popping up but nothing to bother me. Even though on low everything looks very nice with loading screen times ranging between 13 and 20 seconds. The only problem I have experienced is that windows are solid colored brown and then silver when zoomed out instead of clear glass... how do you fix this? Also how do you tilt the camera? Thanks all, and I hope I've helped some people with this,
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    @conday884‌, EA is aware of the window issue and is addressing this with the next patch or so. Others have reported the same thing with the particular graphics card you have.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • conday884conday884 Posts: 19 New Member
    > @Tremayne4260 said:
    > conday884‌, EA is aware of the window issue and is addressing this with the next patch or so. Others have reported the same thing with the particular graphics card you have.

Ok so there is no current fix?
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Correct. It seems that updating to Yosemite helped those running on older versions of the Mac OS, but are already running on Yosemite so it could be a CC problems which at this point EA has said not to put in the game until the patch is released.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • barbiedollz88barbiedollz88 Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi I bought the game 17th February, never used cheats or something like that. Initially the game was ok but now some of my houses there was there on the game (I only redecorated the furniture). Two houses is off of their spaces. When I'm with another family I can see some houses in the middle of way and on air! How to fix that? When I restart the game the house is off of their place on the map. Sometimes when I load my family, the house is on right place after some time of game playing it moves off the place.

My graphics card is Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB .

And well for the first time I've tried to load on ultra settings. Huge mistake, I couldn't even open my game... Crashes and black screen, thought that I be unable to play forever, LOL. Fortunately with patience, I reset the settings and started to work.

Now I run on low-medium quality and it's fine. I'm afraid to change it and happen again. :p
  • Faye.Faye. Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey, I purchased the sims for mac and every single time I try to play I have to restart my computer because it freezes or goes black due to a graphics problem. I have the intel 4000 graphics card and understand that there have been problems with it however my graphics have been set to low. I was wondering if there is a fix coming or if other people are having this problem? I don't want to mess up my mac by restarting every time i want to play and am thinking that i shouldn't be playing it, but i want to.
    Thanks for reading, Faye
    > @conday884 said:
    > Ok so there is no current fix?

I have heard that disabling "Laptop Mode" in video settings can fix this issue. You may have to scroll down to see it in the settings.
    > @Faye. said:
    > Hey, I purchased the sims for mac and every single time I try to play I have to restart my computer because it freezes or goes black due to a graphics problem. I have the intel 4000 graphics card and understand that there have been problems with it however my graphics have been set to low. I was wondering if there is a fix coming or if other people are having this problem? I don't want to mess up my mac by restarting every time i want to play and am thinking that i shouldn't be playing it, but i want to.
    > Thanks for reading, Faye

Can you post your system specs as well was your OS X version? Be sure that you are running the latest OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 or newer. This seems to fix some of the HD 4000 issues.