The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hate the Sims Genetics sometimes

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I'm happier with genetics now. My Smurf family just had triplet smurfs and they were all boys. So after five girls all non-smurfs finally got boys and smurfs. Score!
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Lol everybody in my family was paper white, except the dad that was tanned/mixed ethnicity. Then one day he had a baby with his blonde white wife and he has blond hair too lol and the kids, twins, have blond hair and the darkest skin color possible in the game. I was thinking he was not the dad probably XD

Not that I mind they don't have similar skin colors, but is not very realistic imo, since they were not adopted.

And the problem for me are the faces, they don't looks like any of their parents! Maybe is a bug with genetics in game (not in CAS)?
    Dad laXmMNO.jpg
    g5Wq9TS.jpg?1
    Mom and kid
    OleXAnk.jpg?1
  • Alistair_32Alistair_32 Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited February 2015
    @thesimsfairy47‌
    1. Take a random female sim in CAS.
    2. Use that hairstyle on her.
    3. Widen her shoulders to the maximum.
    4. Decrease her neck's size to the minimum (or widen her neck too. Doesn't matter, really).
    5. Raise Fitness and Weight bars to the maximum.
    6. Be in shock.

7ttk9x2o.png
  • thesimsfairy47thesimsfairy47 Posts: 6,116 Member
    @thesimsfairy47‌
    1. Take a random female sim in CAS.
    2. Use that hairstyle on her.
    3. Widen her shoulders to the maximum.
    4. Decrease her neck's size to the minimum (or widen her neck too. Doesn't matter, really).
    5. Raise Fitness and Weight bars to the maximum.
    6. Be in shock.

7ttk9x2o.png
    That's awful, I never thought something like that would happen :(
    Sims 5 artstyle poll Here
    monday-to-friday-workweek-graphic.jpg
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    Actually, I am really happy with the genetics, now that some of my sims children have grown a bit older. As teens they still are not fully matured, but I'm already able to see features of both parents when I do combine very different looking parents. For example, I made one female sim who was lovely except for a big hawk nose that makes her unique instead of "just another pretty face" in the crowd, and I mixed her DNA with a male who has a strong brow and round cheeks that give him a little bit of a baby face. The daughter got her mother's special nose and her father's brow and cheeks, plus she got the shape of her dad's lips and the size of her mother's mouth--which was very surprising to me! I am absolutely thrilled with the genetics, to be honest!! The results are so impressive.

True blending of features like that is exactly what I had dreamed of for the Sims 4! I didn't like that in Sims 3, the kids were usually an exact clone of one parent, and the only time it seemed believable is when you'd get a daughter with the father's female-face and then it would look like the daughter just took after her father. Otherwise, most daughters looked like their mothers. Now in Sims 4, they actually blend the features very well. It's certainly more noticeable when your sims have more distinct features than the couple you showed here. Your sims had similar face shapes and features, but it looks like the daughter got the nose and cheeks of sim #1, the eye brows and lip shape of sim #2, the mouth size of sim #1, the eye colour of sim #1 but the eye shape of sim #2... The jaw line is too hard to tell at her young age, but she does look like a good blend of her parents to me!
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    To be honest, I don't see many similarities between the original OP parents except for hair color and maybe slightly in the jawline. Skintone, eye shape, color and size, cheekbones, chins are all very different.

The child is definitely a blend of the two.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I'm quite happy with the genetics in TS4. One great example why:

This was an offspring born in the 4th generation of my family.

jgOdVUg.png

She has her Great Grandfather's chin

SEdra01.png

Her Great Grandmother's eye shape, which her Grandmother and Mother also had

c3fCZvU.png

She has her Grandfather's red hair(hers was originally dark red as his but I changed the shade in CAS)

vzZm6nB.png

Her mouth, nose, ears, and eye color are her Father's

uk127Ty.png

And this is her son in the 5th Generation...the genetics are spot on :)

87ctegi.png
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited February 2015
    Mother.
    snp6o2.png
    Father
    23t10uv.png
    The sons.......
    35nbzg5.png
    2m85jcn.png
    2jagtxi.png
    ua83r.png
    Okay soooo....HOW DID THIS HAPPEN. Their chins are the opposite of eachother. One is tiny, the other one is huge!
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    One got the dad's chin, and the other got the mom's....lol
    WLfAA9V.png
  • JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited February 2015

Perhaps i posted bad pictures of the patrents because their chins are average size. Neither too small or too big. @brookesaywhatx
  • KaelKael Posts: 2,197 Member
    edited February 2015
    mirta000 wrote: »
    I think there's something wrong with genetics in the sims 4. The identical twins don't even really look identical. Their noses and lips are almost always different sizes. I know twins aren't going to look 100% the same but the features look different every single time I hit the random twin button.

how do you know that those twins were supposed to be identical? Not all twins are identical. Though speaking about identical twins I do have a couple that look really hard to distinguish from one another.

You obviously have no idea what I'm even talking about... -_- Same sex twins used to look pretty identical, and then it changed in some update. Kids and siblings almost always have bigger lips and noses in my game. It's all wrong. I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about. Not sure if it's just my game, but I've never seen anybody mention it.

Original
    WAIoElvl.png
    original's random twin#1
    OKhDpdFl.png
    original's random twin#2
    YiumDIrl.png
    original's random twin#3
    KY2yBOPl.png

The random twins look like identical twins, but they don't look the same as the original. Obviously they're supposed to be identical twins because the randoms have identical facial features to each other.

Their eyebrows are different and that is what is changing the look of the face. Nose is different too on the randoms(a little wider).

• MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    JeanBaby4 wrote: »

Perhaps i posted bad pictures of the patrents because their chins are average size. Neither too small or too big. @brookesaywhatx

I had interpreted the same way. The mother's face seems to have the same steep angles from cheekbone to chin as the dark-haired son does. Changing the chin from female to male may have accentuated the steep angles.

With the blonde son it is a little more difficult to tell; the father has a beard that effectively camouflages his chin. The general shape of his face and nose seem to mirror the father, though, so I'd suspect he got his father's chin. Wonder how he'd look with a beard? (Or how his father would look without one?)
  • ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    i agree, i do not see the problem she looks just like them combined
    you're ele-phantastic
  • IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    My sim child has purple eyes when neither of her parents have purple eyes. One has that reddish brown eyes and the other is Bella Goth. Can't really describe her eye color.
  • KateRosenKateRosen Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Alistair_32 said:
    > I dislike Genetics at times too. What I dislike even more is how Katrina's hair is distorted because her shoulders are wider. I've been noticing this especially on that hairstyle. Disgusting that your females need to have a specific shoulder width if you don't want this hairstyle to look like it's been torn out thrown to the ground been jumped on and put back on. Especially noticeable on Shamina.

Its happening to me too! I just noticed that it happened? Does it have something to do with the newest update or something?
  • derwasdasderwasdas Posts: 112 Member
    edited February 2016
    @KateRosen
    Look at page 3, @Alistair_32 explained it there.
    It does look really atrocious to be honest.
  • Vlydia713Vlydia713 Posts: 159 Member
    edited February 2016
    I have some really freaky genetics going on. I made a Sim and made her WooHoo with a Maxis-made NPC. She ended up having two twins who looked just alike, and an interesting combination of the parents' traits. "Cool," I thought. "Identical twins!" But then she had another daughter, who looked just like the twins. At that point I started feeling a little creeped out. Nothing was different about them - not even their body type. So the non-twin ending up DIAF'ing at a young age, and one of the twins died a spinster. The other twin did have a daughter who - you guessed it - looked just like her mother/aunts, except at least this time she inherited her dad's red hair. I've gotta get her to have baby - my goal is to have this doppelganger in every generation. :)
  • YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    From my experience, the kids typically have the skin tone of one parent with the facial features of the other and it's a toss up regarding hair color.
  • Vlydia713Vlydia713 Posts: 159 Member
    I'd say these Sims have a pretty good combination of facial features from both parents. Just.. the SAME combination.

Coincidentally, the newest doppelganger has the randomly generated of Phoenix, only adding to the creepiness. :)
  • Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
    I love the genetics, just look at me :D Aren't I a QT?
    IRJsECv.png
  • Emmy_SimsEmmy_Sims Posts: 324 Member
    edited February 2016
    I like the genetics in Sims 4. The only thing I don't like is that the sims apparently don't carry recessive genes?? They all only look like their parents, I'm in my 6th gen already and none of my sims inherited the traits of their grandparents or great-grandparents or great-great...you know.
    The only "exception" to this rule was when one girl from my 3rd gen had the body of her grandma (the founder), and her mother had a completely different body shape. But I guess it's because, probably, her father (who was the founder's child) inherited his mama's body, but it didn't show up because he wasn't a girl.

EDIT: Also I hate when twins look completely different (from my experience, it's usually one that looks like one parent and one that looks like the other). I mean, fraternal twins do exist, but does this need to happen every time?? Come on.
    Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord
  • KarennKarenn Posts: 4,326 Member
    edited February 2016
    My sims daughter has her mother's brown hair, and their son has the dads fiery red locks! Their third child I still don't know. Not been born yet. :)

f3i7iu.jpg
    Post edited by Karenn on
  • RomireRomire Posts: 2,418 Member
    Well this thread got bumpped from the dead lol
    Romire - Australian Gamer
    An Nurodirvgent player from the land downunder.
  • WoleeWolee Posts: 4 New Member
    From what I've noticed, sims only inherit the basic system traits. For instance if you take a nose provided by the game and modify it, the child will inherit the base nose, not the nose you modified. I don't like that.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,465 Member
    Emmy_Sims wrote: »
    I like the genetics in Sims 4. The only thing I don't like is that the sims apparently don't carry recessive genes?? They all only look like their parents, I'm in my 6th gen already and none of my sims inherited the traits of their grandparents or great-grandparents or great-great...you know.
    The only "exception" to this rule was when one girl from my 3rd gen had the body of her grandma (the founder), and her mother had a completely different body shape. But I guess it's because, probably, her father (who was the founder's child) inherited his mama's body, but it didn't show up because he wasn't a girl.

EDIT: Also I hate when twins look completely different (from my experience, it's usually one that looks like one parent and one that looks like the other). I mean, fraternal twins do exist, but does this need to happen every time?? Come on.
    Fraternal twins are far more common. It's identicals that are very rare. My maternal great-grandmother had a fraternal twin sister (this set of twins was the ONLY set in the family of the same sex). Altogether there were four sets of twins in this single family. :open_mouth: Lizzie (my great-grandmother) and her twin, Maggie didn't really look alike, either. No more than any other siblings in the same family would, that is.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/