The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
February 23rd - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Empty Houses

I had unchecked the fill empty houses in game option, and left it like that until all the NPC's in both towns have past away. I have clicked on that to refill all the vacant homes in the game, and no one is moving in. Weeks have gone by in the game, and all the homes remain empty. I still see NPC's walking around town, but no one is moving in. :\

Comments

• meganalyssa94meganalyssa94 Posts: 199 Member
    I kinda get that problem too sometimes. I don't think that checkbox function works completely 100% some of the time. Or just like single ghosts will move in to huge houses all by themselves. Sometimes I just have to spend an hour or so moving townies into homes on my own so it fills my game up. I enjoy downloading large families from the gallery and moving them into the larger houses. And sometimes I just grab some of the families from the "Not in World" households library.

But it does stink that the function of that check box doesn't work correctly sometimes ):
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    So, this is not a single player glitch them. Well then, I have a problem because I don't want to have to download a bunch of sims just to fill all those empty home. And Guru's, since this is happening in other Simmers' games as well. This would make this a bug or tech issue, and this thread should be moved to either of those forums. :\
    Thank you for moving this to here Guru's. :)
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Oasis Springs empty and I'm not going to waste my time again filling the houses.It will soon be just my Sims and a truck load of NPC walking around.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,595 Member
    At one point, someone who asked a SimGuru about his was told that the point of that box isn't to fill all the empty houses right up, it's to enable them to be filled. I've found that they do fill but only very gradually, and always leaving a proportion of empty houses. I figure my Sims can always evict someone else to move in, so I just manually fill the houses with unhoused townies. The game is very good at making lots of those, though not so good at making an interesting range of them.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    And that's what I don't understand is why the game isn't allowing it's self to fill some of those empty houses, after the box has been left unchecked after a while. If the box is only there to enable the empty homes to be filled. Then you would think that those empty homes would be filling up in my game, after having turned that back on in the game. But it's not doing that, and the homes just remain empty even with all those sims just walking around. :\
  • creamceecreamcee Posts: 65 Member
    Hi @sunman502, I do have this issue before too but instead of waiting for the houses to be filled by npc townies, I moved them myself instead. Believe me, I've played this game for quite a long time now. 3 months and 3 months of constant (everyday) playing (& waiting) didn't make the empty houses filled by npc townies. I do suggest that you just choose several families from "not in the world" in your gallery (under my library) and moved them in the empty houses by yourself :)
    creamcee wrote: »
    Hi @sunman502, I do have this issue before too but instead of waiting for the houses to be filled by npc townies, I moved them myself instead. Believe me, I've played this game for quite a long time now. 3 months and 3 months of constant (everyday) playing (& waiting) didn't make the empty houses filled by npc townies. I do suggest that you just choose several families from "not in the world" in your gallery (under my library) and moved them in the empty houses by yourself :)
    Hi creamcee!
    That's what I figured that would happen, and what I might have to do. If Maxis can't resolve this little problem.
    Thanks for the advice.:(

• Java_JoeJava_Joe Posts: 21 Member
    How are you moving sims who are not in the world into the more expensive homes when most of those sims only have a budget of 20K simoleans? I too would love to see my custom homes and buildings fill up but it just doesn't seem to be happening, and I don't want to have to make a bunch of playable sims I have no intention of playing,

Have fun :)!
    Java_Joe wrote: »
    How are you moving sims who are not in the world into the more expensive homes when most of those sims only have a budget of 20K simoleans? I too would love to see my custom homes and buildings fill up but it just doesn't seem to be happening, and I don't want to have to make a bunch of playable sims I have no intention of playing,

Use the freerealestate cheat.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

The homes that I built in the game never get filled either, even with the fill empty homes is left on in the game. Not that this really matters to me because it gives me a chance to move the family that I have created into those homes. But I often wonder why Simmer built homes never get filled, except by the Simmer that's playing that game. :\

• creamceecreamcee Posts: 65 Member
    Hi @sunman502, no biggie there! How's your game doing now? I hope everything goes well for you :) Goodluck!
  • GoodFairyGoodFairy Posts: 205 Member
    The "fill empty homes" option is only meant as an permission for the game to do this, not as a duty, so to say.
    How are you moving sims who are not in the world into the more expensive homes when most of those sims only have a budget of 20K simoleans?

Maybe it has to do with this? Most of the homes are more expensive than the default 20K budget. I assume that the game doesn't move households to lots they can't afford.

If you want to fill your empty homes, then the best thing to do it yourself (as already mentioned) with "Manage Worlds" and the freerealestate cheat.
    (*) My Origin-ID GoodFairy684 (*)
    You find my sims in the gallery tagged with #SimsFairy.
    edited February 2015
    GoodFairy wrote: »
    The "fill empty homes" option is only meant as an permission for the game to do this, not as a duty, so to say.
    How are you moving sims who are not in the world into the more expensive homes when most of those sims only have a budget of 20K simoleans?

Maybe it has to do with this? Most of the homes are more expensive than the default 20K budget. I assume that the game doesn't move households to lots they can't afford.

If you want to fill your empty homes, then the best thing to do it yourself (as already mentioned) with "Manage Worlds" and the freerealestate cheat.
    If that were the case, then the Oakenstead house wouldn't be occupied at all when I go to start a new game with the fill empty houses on. And Oakenstead is one of the three most expensive homes in the game.
    creamcee: I have been playing that save lately which sucks because in that saved game, I have gotten all the collectables in the game except two aliens. But other that saved game, the game runs pretty well for as long as I keep the fill empty houses on. I do get the occasional game hick-ups like friezes running into the house when try to place them in build mode. Sims passing through each other and objects, and glitches. Thanks for asking about how my game is doing, and for wishing me luck. :)

• Shimrod101Shimrod101 Posts: 304 Member
    The XML file which is used to select the households or create households (whichever) to be moved into the empty houses is not being read correctly by the game 90% of the time. It is the exact same file which creates the Homeless Households, and the file does not say "go with Single Moms families 90% of the time!". It says nothing of the kind, and yet that is what the game is doing. Another thing the game is doing is refusing to fill up the empty houses like it should be: because this file is not being read or accessed in a proper fashion.
  • haylz18haylz18 Posts: 182 Member
    I've had a similar problem, sometimes the tick box works and sometimes it doesn't.
    venus-and-mars.jpg
    edited February 2015
    haylz18 wrote: »
    I've had a similar problem, sometimes the tick box works and sometimes it doesn't.
    That's what I was thinking all along, and something that Maxis needs to try to fix. The townies do annoy me in the game. But without them, I wouldn't have anyone that my sims can seek revenge on in the game. And there goes half the fun of playing this game right there. This why I'm so eager for Maxis to fix this problem. :(

Post edited by sunman502 on
    Shimrod101 wrote: »
    The XML file which is used to select the households or create households (whichever) to be moved into the empty houses is not being read correctly by the game 90% of the time. It is the exact same file which creates the Homeless Households, and the file does not say "go with Single Moms families 90% of the time!". It says nothing of the kind, and yet that is what the game is doing. Another thing the game is doing is refusing to fill up the empty houses like it should be: because this file is not being read or accessed in a proper fashion.

Thank you for the clarification! It's good to know that it's supposed to fill up more than a few houses.
    Shimrod101 wrote: »

Thank you for the clarification! It's good to know that it's supposed to fill up more than a few houses.
    Yes, thank you Shimrod101. Now Maxis has a general idea on the area of the game to look at in order to fix this problem. :)

• MegasaurusMegasaurus Posts: 134 Member
    I've seen a lot of threads about this, but I like that it keeps being reported. I hope that forces the devs to look into the issue and find a solution for it.
    My box is ticked but even still most of the houses stay completely empty, and if a sim does move in it's a ghost. 100% of the time if a house gets filled it gets filled by a ghost.
    And yes I'm fully aware of going into manage households and moving in families from the unplayed household tab but I shouldn't have to do that.
  • SimGuruBChickSimGuruBChick Posts: 1,013 SimGuru (retired)
    Hi all

Just seen this thread and have added this to the list of things for the team to look at.
    SimGuruBChick
    Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
    Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg
    Hi all

Just seen this thread and have added this to the list of things for the team to look at.
    Thank you GuruBChick. :)