Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you have played The Sims Olympus?

Comments

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    No way, no how, would I have played Sims Olympus.
  • howsimlishhowsimlish Posts: 709 Member
    Probably not, it would be nice to have an optional ' have friends join your game ' kind of thing though.
  • azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    A Sims MMO would never work, EA even trying to make one shows the lack of understanding they have on why the Sims is the best selling franchise of all time.

A MMO needs to control the environment, all players must see the same environment and interact with rules and limits set by EA. The Sims is a sandbox life simulator that gives the player control over the environment and settings so that they can create stories and situations. The player can edit and create new lots, the more tools they are given, the more creative they can be (which is why Sims 2 OFB is so loved, it opened up so many possibilities). It is through these stories and situations that the player can set his own goals (have kids, grow lifeplants, organize a band, etc.).

A Sims MMO has to take away player freedom and creativity, and by doing so, a Sims MMO has to give the player goals to achieve and things to do. This is why Sims 4 seems so much more RPG and goal oriented than past sims games. Without EA set goals and achievements, there would be nothing to do. Sure you could go and talk to people online, but what's the fun of that? How's that different from instant messaging or texting? You could go "out" and role-play, but without the power to control the environment, it's less compelling. Furthermore, the addition of strangers and random people online make it even less likely that the player will be able to create the story or situation they want. Imagine having a nice dinner with your spouse when some naked blue haired guy comes over to hit on them or even try to fight them. You know this will happen. How can such a game be fun?

In short, the Sims isn't the type of game that can be made into a MMO. Both have features that work against one another and if you try to convert the Sims into a MMO, you'll have a game that will neither satisfy the MMO crowd, nor the sandbox crowd. You'll have Sims 4.

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    If I wanted to play Sims Online, I'd be playing Second Life right now. It's free and flexible.

There are a couple of things you can expect when playing any type of MMO, though -- griefers and on-line sexy stuff. Neither of which I want to deal with during my gaming time.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    No. Not really interested in playing with strangers online. I even do all the co-op missions alone in Assassin's Creed Unity.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I went back into Sims4 over the weekend. Now, I am not pre-ordering the expansion pack. I just cant seem to get into the game at all!

So the answer is...........NO........I don't like playing online, my luck a friend would come in and destroy my place!
  • CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    No !
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    the answer is no from me as well as i do not went an online sim game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    No. I would not have bought or played it. The last thing I want is to have people running around saying "be my boyfriend", "please add me to your friend's list", "I want to woohoo with you." No thanks.
  • makanivalurmakanivalur Posts: 284 Member
    If I could play it on a private server with a group of friends I'd love it. I have fond memories of playing TS2 with my childhood friends, sitting next to one another and deciding what to do next so that would be quite cool. Then again I have moved country so it may have something to do with that. As a proper MMO you have to play with strangers though? No way.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Never I would still be playing Sims 3. I do not want other simmers in my game, and definitely not all the trolls out here. I want to play my sims myself, no others coming into my game and doing what ever. Not to offend anyone, but I have seen how some play and that is not for me. And would not want it in my game. My game would never be the same. so it is a totally no for me.
  • EmberDahlEmberDahl Posts: 332 Member
    edited February 2015
    I agree- not only that, people get bored- at least there is a logic to the evil/stressed/happy/mischievous created characters in the game- they follow a sort of pattern you can follow. Random strangers can go from making a cake - to smashing up your doll house to flirting with your sister to playing with the cow plant without any logic just because they thought it would be amusing to do - it would be too unpredictable, fun to watch for a while, but would eventually become unplayable- making the game that incorporates real people will ironically make the game less real.
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I would have. Apparently pretty much alone but I'd have given it a shot. Had great experiences for years with TSO. Dealt with trolls there, too, no biggie. Good times and good people far outweighed the bad. But maybe times have changed too much, I would still be willing to have given it a shot.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

No. I don't play Second Life, I wouldn't play Sims Olympus. O.O
    I haven't even opened up a chat in TS4 and most of the time I turn off the online in TS3.
  • LPentLPent Posts: 147 Member
    No. We already have so many MMO games like that. The Sims never was an MMO and if they make it into an MMO it would no longer be The Sims (instead of Sims we would have people using a sim-skin as avatar). I am not a fan of MMO's so I would not play such a game. I want a life-simulator, not a glorified chat-program.
  • mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    No... The sims is not an MMO.
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I probably would have given it the same chance I gave this one. So, yes, I probably would have bought it. I say this, though, knowing absolutely nothing about how Olympus would have been. No one knows.
  • steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    edited February 2015
    I wouldn't play even if you paid me a million pounds.
  • xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    I would have tried it lol *shrugs* but like my experience with sims social/second life I probably would have abandoned ship.

If it was subscription based though. . . nope, wouldn't have touched it with a pole.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    No, {doesn't play well with others.}
  • ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    edited February 2015
  • Gawdfather1Gawdfather1 Posts: 601 Member
    So it seems EA/Maxis chose correctly to scrap a Sims MMO.

I would have played it though. And I wouldn't have even clogged up other people's plumbing, or started fires, or made other people's Sims pregnant, or blocked their doorways, or well you get the point.
    Banners.jpg
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    It would be like the forums playing a sim game together. A whole new place for trolls.

Which even if you did decide to play with randoms would be a step up from not playing and getting trolled anyway.

Yes I'd have played it.

and I'm sure all realism would go out the window.

09-09-14_12-34nbspAM_zpsf8c2cd1d.png
    edited February 2015
    So it seems EA/Maxis chose correctly to scrap a Sims MMO.

Without starting over to make a quality single player experience, they chose very incorrectly.

They scrapped the MMO part but not the game.

l_84516_d91b4e12.jpg

"You moved the headstones but you didn't move the bodies!"