Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An idea to why TS4 is lacking in content

The sims 4 doesn't have a lot of features from previous games, like toddlers and open world, and I think I know why. Think about it this way, for there to be toddlers and open world along with other features not added in the game, we wouldn't have any brand new features like different build mode options and multi tasking. At the moment people are saying, "The game is missing a lot of features!" But really if they had dropped the new features and added in old ones, it is would basically be TS3 all over again, and we would be hearing, "There's nothing new in TS4, it's just like previous games!".

I hope you guys hqve an idea of what I'm stating, and sorry if the writing is bad, im on my iPhone

Comments

• Options
    MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    I agree OP. They added the new build mode (which is a dream - for the first time ever my builds look interesting and are not just a square box!) The new CAS is brilliant because we can make such unique Sims, or simselves, or try to recreate celebrities. I didn't realise how much I liked multitasking until I tried TS3 again and got so frustrated that they couldn't talk to each other at the table that I gave up! Lol.

I know nothing about computers and making games, but I do think these things would be quite bulky, time-consuming projects. I don't think they were easy things to add, and they had sacrifice some things to add them.

However, it was a mistake to miss out toddlers. I hope they're working on them now so that they can be added back in soon.

I personally don't miss the open world as much as I thought I would. I think they need to lose the loading screens between houses in the same street though.
    tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2015
    I agree with you a new game should have new features and should be different. But sacrificing a complete life stage and introducing loading screens between lots I don't get. And I can't imagine at least larger neighborhoods would have made other features impossible. Besides, it's all a matter of preferences of course, but sacrificing CASt took away a lot of the fun for me (as does no terrain tools), because Sims is also about creativity for me. There is no creativity at all in The Sims 4.

But the main problem for people is that the brand new features aren't that impressive. Build mode options are great (especially for people who aren't the best builders) but no CASt makes building non attractive and boring to many. It became painting by numbers. And multitasking is done very sloppy. If that's the new feature that has to make me glad: I'm not. What other features are there? The emotions? They're done poorly as well.

That's my main problem with Sims 4. They took out important things and nothing great was offered in return (which is the reason I'm always bored and annoyed when I play it, which are not the right emotions when you play a game). I do get what you're saying though, I do hope the first EP will bring something that wasn't possible in the predecessors. Following sims to work and maybe one day possibly school?

If you sacrifice features for other features, then at least make them worthwhile and obvious why it's necessary. Like Sims 3 sacrificed opening and closing cardoors for an open world.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I can see why you'd think that way, but I have to disagree.

When you look back and see what they did with TS3 in comparison with TS2, it was a huge leap forward with a ton of extra features. I see no reason why they couldn't have done the same with TS4 if it had been given the proper time for development from the beginning - we could have had new features without removing essential bits. And, lets be honest, they haven't given us an awful lot of new features anyway.

I can understand about the non-open world and lack of cast, they were obviously conscious decisions to try and improve performance. But, even those, they could have made better. We could have been given a semi-open world where you don't need a loading screen just to visit your neighbour and they could have done a colour wheel.

I don't see any reason at all why toddlers and pools etc couldn't have been added from the start - it was just their own lack of doing it the right way from the start (changing from online) and running out of time. The game should have been put back until they had given it the proper amount of time to give us a full play experience, then they wouldn't need to placate us with free patch additions and still leave many totally unhappy.
  • Options
    RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
    edited February 2015
    The problem here is that they didn't had to choose one content over the other like you described OP. They could have implemented all the content missing and the new ones if they had the time. Yet they didn't coordinated their time properly when they had 5 years to make it. It is their fault for not giving it the time it needed. No sympathy from me.
    tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I'm sorry OP but I respectfully disagree.

They've been in this business now for fifteen years. They've had constant investment from simmers all along-the sims has won all sorts of awards and sold like hot cakes. So why is it that fifteen years on it's suddenly too expensive and too hard to make a complete base game?!
    TS2 was incredible-it took the sims and made them another level of amazing-it was beyond exciting how far it had come since TS1!
    TS3 had an amazing open world-for the first time the world was your sims oyster and it took the game forward again.

Then TS4. Suddenly on a self imposed released date (they set it!) they couldn't get the job done. It appears either didn't have sufficient staff, an insufficient budget or they wasted the previous two factors creating an online game no one wanted. Olympus.

Whatever it was I think it's really unfair on the brand. The sims concept is incredible and deserves to be made the best it can be each and every time and should cater very widely like the previous games. Instead it's very narrow in it's scope, is missing beloved features and the customers have been put through a tough time. Either they are very lucky in they are catered for in TS4 and they worry about the complaints and get tired of plums telling me they can't enjoy it, or they have been thrown by the wayside and get treated like they are in the wrong by another type of plum! (Yes I used the word plum!)

It's heartbreaking to watch as someone who has heavily invested over fifteen years. We all deserve better than this.
  • Options
    RARAWRARAW Posts: 863 Member
    I'm sorry OP but I respectfully disagree.

They've been in this business now for fifteen years. They've had constant investment from simmers all along-the sims has won all sorts of awards and sold like hot cakes. So why is it that fifteen years on it's suddenly too expensive and too hard to make a complete base game?!
    TS2 was incredible-it took the sims and made them another level of amazing-it was beyond exciting how far it had come since TS1!
    TS3 had an amazing open world-for the first time the world was your sims oyster and it took the game forward again.

Then TS4. Suddenly on a self imposed released date (they set it!) they couldn't get the job done. It appears either didn't have sufficient staff, an insufficient budget or they wasted the previous two factors creating an online game no one wanted. Olympus.

Whatever it was I think it's really unfair on the brand. The sims concept is incredible and deserves to be made the best it can be each and every time and should cater very widely like the previous games. Instead it's very narrow in it's scope, is missing beloved features and the customers have been put through a tough time. Either they are very lucky in they are catered for in TS4 and they worry about the complaints and get tired of plums telling me they can't enjoy it, or they have been thrown by the wayside and get treated like they are in the wrong by another type of plum! (Yes I used the word plum!)

It's heartbreaking to watch as someone who has heavily invested over fifteen years. We all deserve better than this.

@Sparkfairy had to like your post, because I so agree. After all this years...this is the best they could have come out with?

The things we gained in this base game:

Emotions
    Better character creation
    Building mode
    A gallery
    A more player friendly game

What we lost in this base game:

No create a style (CAST) - NOT possible in future expansions. (x)
    No modifications to world/town/public spaces.
    No “normal” careers - Law enforcement, Medical, etc.
    No open world - You must incur a loading screen between each active lot; each neighborhood has 1-5 lots total.
    No terrain tools other than paint; the entire build-able world is completely flat.
    No story progression - Sims in the neighborhood age, but do not have children, get jobs, move, get married…etc. without player intervention.
    No toddlers.
    No way to create/place new lots - Only 2 empty lots at the start of the game.

MAJOR CRIPPLED/LIMITED FEATURES THAT WERE IN TS3:

All buildings on a lot must have the same foundation. No mixing for sheds, garages, etc.
    Babies are mere objects - All interactions are through basinet. There are no baby objects. Babies can only be lifted directly above basinet.
    Backgrounds are illusions - The buildings in the background are not playable in the game.
    Most of the area surrounding a lot is “decorative” and cannot be walked to or otherwise interacted with.
    Fewer floors/levels, limited to three.
    SIGNIFICANTLY smaller “worlds” of <25 lots compared to 125+ lots in The Sims 3. (x)
    Smaller lots - Biggest lot size is 50x50 instead of 64x64.
    Loading screens for each individual lot.
    The map is a one-dimensional picture.
    Teens are same height as adults and they, along with elders, all look nearly identical.
    OTHER MISSING GAMEPLAY ELEMENTS FROM TS1-TS3:

No acne (x)
    No aliens (x)
    No animated hair (x)
    No aspiration failures (x)
    No babysitters (x)
    No basements (x)
    No bookstores (x)
    No burglars (x)
    No cars (not even as décor) (x)
    No cashiers
    No cemeteries (x)
    No cutscenes (x)
    No cleaning skill (x)
    No clothes shopping (x)
    No color wheel, predefined to ~20 colors (x)
    No comfort need (x)
    No Create a World Tool
    No curfew (x)
    No customization of multi-tone hair color (users select only main color) (x)
    No dinner proposals (x)
    No diseases or illness (x)
    No dreams (x)
    No environment need
    No exterminator
    No eyelash length slider (x)
    No favorites (food, color, music) (x)
    No fears (x)
    No full face make-up (x)
    No garage doors (x)
    No gardener for hire (x)
    No grocery stores (x)
    No inheritance
    No male body hair (x)
    No magazines
    No move object cheat (x)
    No newspapers (x)
    No opacity slider for makeup (x)
    No party invitations from other Sims
    No private school (x)
    No rabbit holes at all - Sims move offscreen for work and school. There are no hospitals, work/school buildings…etc. (x)
    No random or accidental deaths
    No repairman (x)
    No repo man - (x)
    No restaurants
    No skin slider (x)
    No swimming in lakes or the ocean
    No swings
    No tragic clown or social bunny (x)
    No way to watch a Sim commute to work/school (x)
    No way to water flower beds/bushes
    No website for browsing exchange or store (in-game only)
    No zodiac signs
    MISSING OBJECTS FROM TS1, TS2 OR TS3 BASE GAMES:

No bikes
    No changing tables
    No cribs
    No dishwashers (x)
    No highchairs
    No hot tubs
    No pool tables
    No trash compactors (x)
    MISC CRIPPLED GAME FEATURES:

32-bit executable - TS4 is not 64-bit, and cannot access more than 4GB of RAM. If you have more than 4GB then you are crippled.
    Fewer traits in CAS (more traits must be unlocked/earned in-game).
    Incompatible Simpoint currency - Sims 3 Store Simpoints do not work with TS4.
    tumblr_n5dt2fzXjY1s7xoeto1_500.gif
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Huh, my sims always talk to each other at the table, and while fishing, and even while cleaning in Sims 3. I can't direct the conversation, but they definitely talk and have relationship increases/decreases during their conversations.
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    Not to mention the fact that the sims themselves are boring. The traits you assign them are shallow and do not allow for individual personalities to develop. Their reactions and actions are the same no matter their traits of life time goals. They have emotions, but the emotions are also shallow and ever changing without taking the traits in to consideration.
    So no, what they added does not even come close to what a brand new 2015 base came should have been. This is at best a beta game.

kim :\
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    SimatropolisSimatropolis Posts: 286 Member
    Sorry to break it to you, but the reason TS4 is lacking is because it was originally developed as an online MMO but was scrapped due to the SimCity backlash leaving them with short development time and low funds. This isn't be being a "hater," the Gurus have commented on a lack of time and money themselves.
  • Options
    GlamourSimmerGlamourSimmer Posts: 238 Member
    I agree, but TS4 was rushed to put this game out. That's why they have patches so they can makes the stuff they missed and then put it out there! I'm not bashing TS4, i think they should take their time to get us our content.
    Sim is life !
    Gaming Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjdolzKVXRHZhBiMKXTdofw ( Don't be afraid to go subscribe )
  • Options
    LisameesimsLisameesims Posts: 1,125 Member
    Disagree: Sims-4 was originally written to be online, (not real time online), but like Sims Social was. Thus why we have the strange loading screens to visit lots. In Sims Social you had a loading screen to visit each friends lot, but it was only a copy of their lot, you weren't interacting with the friend in real time.
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    But lacking in content is not the only issue in my opinion. The game play and the design of the traits and their relationship to the sims reactions are also very shallow and not well implemented. So an ep may add content but not depth. Did lack of time cause this. Maybe. But why should the consumer pay a premium price for a sub par game then have to keep paying premium prices to "flesh" it out because EA took the wrong direction to start with?

kim :\
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    The content is lacking IMHO because the purpose of the game changed late in it's development. That leaves them having to figure out ways to shoehorn content back into the game under a totally different premise than they originally planned. The emotions aren't really that good in this game IMHO because I think the original concept of them was to be a constant mini game that you played with others, something other than single player play. TS3 had the open world and the freedoms that came along with that which offset some of it being watered down from TS2 for me. Even many of the features they were gracious enough to include with TS4 are watered down versions of the features we got in TS3 only TS4 has nothing to adequate to compensate for that to me, no hook.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    I couldn't agree more with things like multitasking @AlannahGreen, in fact I recall devs speaking about having to limit options because of the resource limits, but the limit as I understand it is more self imposed, meaning if you want the game to run on lower end you have to keep its requirements of the game engine lower as well.

ive always wanted more resources alotted to the game so as a franchise the series could continue growing as well as keep prior advancements. I love open worlds but I also love love multitasking I don't want to choose :(

As for toddlers I think something else maybe a play, again just a hunch but I think toddlers development ran into issues and that's why they weren't avaialable at release
  • Options
    TrudyMinaj1TrudyMinaj1 Posts: 3 New Member
    It's very hard to enjoy sims 4 because it's the same trash over and over. After my kids sims age up they leave the house and their kids end up doing the same thing. It's nothing interesting in sims 4. You can't send you sims to college, there's no weather changes, no prom, no graduation, you can't take your sims anywhere expect to a empty nightclub and a boring lounge to eat chips.
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Closing the thread as it was necro'd.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top