Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Adoption Centre

shaunballardshaunballard Posts: 7 New Member
edited February 2015 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Hey, I had an idea a little while ago that I think some people might like.
I know that you can adopt on The Sims 4 for §1000, and that's fair enough, but I thought that maybe it could be expanded on just a little...
At some point, they should add a lot that is an Adoption Centre, that literally has baby/child Sims in residence (with adults to supervise them and process adoptions), because then it will give adopting Sims a chance to meet the child/children that they want to adopt, and decide if that's the one they want. It'd give the player the option to chose the child that they want to adopt, allowing them to know the trait/s of that child BEFORE they adopt them.
If you have a Neat adult Sim, and you adopt (without knowing the trait/s of the child) a Slob, then that might cause a family problem. I know that's a terrible example, but what I'm trying to get at is, when a real person adopts, they don't generally only see a name and picture of the child, they'd get to meet them first.
It could also be turned into a type of job where your Sim could work as a supervisor at the Adoption Centre.
I hope others think this would be a good idea too, and I really hope this, or something similar, is added one day :)
Let me know what you think of my idea if you like it.

Comments

• Options
    rosiep2010rosiep2010 Posts: 247 Member
    I think that is a really nice idea. It would resemble real life and it could be nice for story writers as well.
  • Options
    2uise2uise Posts: 74 Member
    Love Shaunballard idea about Adoption Centre. I think that will work they can also have an option for Sims who do not want to adopt they can be foster parents. How this will work is that parents or single Sims who had there child taken away by child service can come here to see if they can get them back or not.
    Another idea I think they can add to the game is have a church were they can have a job as a priest/pastor just like in the medieval game. A lot of stories can be done with this. They have a church lot that can be used for the Sims to get married or have Sunday service.
    I do not know if "Get To Work" expansion pack will have this in it but they can have a Court House which can be used by the Sims to get married by a judge or hear your cases which mean we will need lawyers etc.
    I just want a lot of open lots NO MORE RABBIT HOLES. I want things my Sims can do. In my Sims 3 game every time I played the game I would get surprises because either my Sims would of broken up or had affairs or they would of changed jobs or got their own. At one time my Sim moved her boyfriend in and every time I would remove him/her from the household next time I played the game he/she would be back. I like the idea of free will for my Sims. I like that they decide how they want their life to go.
    An idea for vacation spot how about Africa, Venice, Las Vegas, Rio de Janeiro, Bora Bora, Trinidad & Tobago.
    I want more jobs that deal with real life. I want a open lot for a school for the kids/teens. have job for teachers, professors etc.
    I do love that we had open world in Sims3 but I think we kind of have it in Sims4 also but limited and to me that is fine just to not change that.
    There is some amazing ideas that the other Simmers have to add to this game I hope you guys listen to them. Yes we have to spend money to add to the game but if the stuff that EA brings to us is no good than what is the sense of buying it. If we the fans do not buy than you guys the designers no longer will have a job. I just wish you guys will realize that we love this game because to some it is fun to play they can create amazing lots/homes tell true life stories or just have fun playing it.
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    I would prefer if the social worker bring then home instead of teleporting.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    and decide if that's the one they want. It'd give the player the option to chose the child that they want to adopt, allowing them to know the trait/s of that child BEFORE they adopt them

This is exactly why I hate this idea.

Children who require adoption should not be judged like this. It's not ok in real life and it would be sickening to have this in the game.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I feel I need to be very clear on this one. It is just wrong, wrong, wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @Cinderellimouse

I understand why you'd say that, and I realise that not everyone will like this idea, and if it *was* to be used, I'm not asking it to be 100% like I explained it, it would be open to improvements and that's a good thing.
    Either way, I respect your opinion on the matter :)

Edit: Also, it's not that I'm saying it's okay to judge a child, because it's not, I'm just saying that you get to know the child first, which, to my knowledge, is what really happens :)
  • Options
    @Cinderellimouse

I understand why you'd say that, and I realise that not everyone will like this idea, and if it *was* to be used, I'm not asking it to be 100% like I explained it, it would be open to improvements and that's a good thing.
    Either way, I respect your opinion on the matter :)

I know I came across really harshly yesterday, I was a little shocked by the idea. Foster caring and adoption is common in my area and the poor children who have been separated from their parents (for such wide-ranging and complicated issues) need love and acceptance, not rejection. The idea of selecting and judging children, like picking a new sofa from a shop, hit a nerve with me. I'm sorry that I was so touchy. Thank you for being so understanding.

Now I've calmed down a little I can expand on it a little. I don't mind the idea of having an active lot where the children go when taken into care, in fact I prefer this idea over the existing issue of children just being deleted by the game. It's upsetting when sim-kids get taken away and when it has happened (rarely) to me in the past, I've had another of my playable families adopt them from the adoption list.

So, I'm not rejecting the whole idea. For example, I love the Shue household from Hidden Springs, I love to play that household and in my mind it's a bit like a care home for these children.

It's just the idea of 'selecting' children that I feel strongly against. I like that in previous series we would only get to choose the age of the child and the child placed with you is a surprise! I even quite liked it when I got an 'evil' child from the wishing well in Lucky Palms, because I felt like the child needed extra love and kindness to succeed in life. It's sometimes nice to be given a surprise that challenges the way we play and makes us explore areas of the game we would never usually choose. I would never have chosen the 'evil' trait for a sim, but it was interesting to try and get that sim to succeed positively in her life.

I also don't understand the idea of paying to adopt a child either. That's weird to me. In the UK you can often receive financial support (in some form or another) when fostering or adopting a child. Adoption is expensive because you have the responsibility of clothing/feeding/raising a child. But you don't have to pay for them. A person should not be a retail commodity. Like buying a slave. The only criteria for adoption should be that you have a room for the child, that you are capable of caring for them, and that you can provide a safe environment for them.

Ok... I'll stop being all preachy about it now. *^.^*
  • Options
    @Cinderellimouse

I see what you're saying, and it makes sense. That's why I posted this idea; so that people can discuss it peacefully and reach an improved version. So how about having the active lot like I said, and being able to get to know the children without finding out their trait/s? That way there would be no judging and it would allow the child/children to get to know their possible new family.

I also don't see the point in having to pay to adopt, but I think it's in the game to make adopting a child more difficult to do if you have a poor Household, and I also would rather it was free, much like it seems you do... Paying to adopt seems alien to me as well :)

Let me know what you think of this change if you want to, and thanks again for your input, it's appreciated :)
  • Options
    BooBooKittieBooBooKittie Posts: 32 Member
    I like selecting them over the phone and being surprised by their personality traits. I wouldn't mind a social worker bringing them but it seems more realistic to have my Sim go offscreen. I wouldn't want the reality of what would essentially be an orphanage (that might be an oudated word). I'd rather just get my child and start with the loving family
  • Options
    stavcohenstavcohen Posts: 5 New Member
    Such an awesome idea! I like being surprised with the traits and stuff but I prefer your idea way more. A social worker is also a really nice way... perfect! :)
  • Options
    Hmmm....

I think they should just gave us back the adoption list thing, where if a sim is taken into care they get added onto that list, and become available for adoption. Then if a player wants to have an adult sim who runs an 'orphanage' they could just adopt the children and maybe use the money cheat to 'fund' the orphanage. The only thing you would need then is a way to transfer a child to the 'adoptive' family. Maybe this is already possible with cheats? I'm not to familiar with all the cheats yet.

I don't think it needs to be a full feature, because it's a sensitive topic. But I know a lot of people want that basic feature of children taken into care being on the adoption list. If we have that back I think it would please most people. Then if players want to set up an 'orphanage' on a residential lot in the way I described above, that would be an option for the people who want that, without imposing it on those who don't. If you wanted to send your active family to visit the orphanage and meet the children, then that would be possible too.

You could give it a go with the existing features and see what you feel is missing? See if it is possible to somehow move children from one household to another. :)