Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited January 2015
    Not at all, @Cerryd! :D

@friendsfan367 that has not been mentioned, but I believe it is more of a live mode request, and I am restricting this thread to build mode only, sorry. I would recommend searching for a similar thread where people are making live mode suggestions (I'm assuming there's at least one, if not tons, of those threads because people seem to have a LOT of live mode feedback, from what I've heard :p ).
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    This looks like a fantastic thread. I hope all of the requests in it are fully implemented without introducing any new bugs that are left there permanently.

I know that's way too much to hope for. But if this were to happen I would be much happier with the game than I am now.

Thank you all for this wonderful thread.
  • Options
    petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    While testing the MOO in my current WIP, I noticed that when my lot is placed from manage worlds, the colors (and most likely the intensities as well) of the lights do not keep their settings. Instead, they revert back to their default settings. I plan do test this further by downloading a couple of lots that use lights that are obviously set to different colors and will report back.
    sigg.gif

• Options
    @Karritz Thank you! It's definitely what we're all hoping for, and we have seen some progress as time goes by with the devs adding some of our requests and fixing the glitches we've reported.

@petalbot You're right, I can confirm what you're experiencing. Yet another reason to steer clear of placing lots from Manage Worlds! I would love to know what makes that process so very different from placing lots in Build Mode in terms of how the game handles stuff. I'll add this to the list.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    ReesesPiecesNo1ReesesPiecesNo1 Posts: 1,023 Member
    edited January 2015
    • I want drop-in stove tops. The stoves that are on the counter and not connected to an oven. As well as double ovens!
      - I will add that the new versatility with kitchen islands/bars is great. Especially now that they can connect to the cabinets.
    • Curved staircases and the ability to modify stairs and add a landing for the directing of the stairs to change. Rarely do I see perfectly strait and vertical stairs. Especially now that the wall heights can be adjusted, stairs used with the highest wall setting are very unrealistic and hard to build around.
  • Options
    petalbotpetalbot Posts: 1,423 Member
    Yeah, it's strange. You'd think it wouldn't make a difference whether the lot was placed using build mode or manage worlds, but for whatever reason it does. I really hope they can fix the issues with lot placement in manage worlds (e.g. loss of enlarged objects, obliteration of MOO'd objects, loss of light color and intensity customizations).
    sigg.gif

• Options
    Katie_GKatie_G Posts: 2 New Member
    Okay,this may not be the place for this question and it might be common sense to experienced Sims players, but here goes. I went from playing Sims 2 straight to Sims 4. I am so lost. Why are there only 2 communities now? Is there a way I can expand past Willow Creek and Oasis Springs? The entire build mode is gone, from where I could used to put down lots of my choosing wherever I wanted, I can't anymore. Also, I could create new communities and expand, is that option gone is Sims 4?
  • Options
    Oh, @Katie_G, that is a big leap, and yeah, Sims 4 is quite different. The game launched with Willow Creek and Oasis Springs only. More worlds will probably be added as time goes by; for instance, there is a new one coming with the game pack this week. However, no you cannot create your own worlds or expand the existing ones at this time. Also, there is no ability to place lots; you have to work with the pre-existing lots. I know this feels limiting; sorry I can't give you better news. We do hope that this may change in the future, but no hint of it at the current time.
  • Options
    Katie_GKatie_G Posts: 2 New Member
    @BryonyRae thanks for the speedy response. It does feel limiting, not being able to do all that you could in TS2. I feel like the new build mode on TS4 is more advanced and very cool, but I miss being able to have more freedom as far as lot placement and expanding goes.
  • Options
    RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    edited January 2015
    OK, me again for an issue while building.
    I got an issue where cribs/bassinets disappear upon placing a lot (but not as rooms) regardless on whether MOO turned on or even when you place at build mode. I'm not sure if it was since in the latest patch or since launch. :\
    I also uploaded a test lot to see if you also had a same issue as mine: (to avoid embarrassments, I decided to delete it.)

Here is the picture of the test lot I saved:
    Crib_Problem_1.png

And here's what happened after you place a lot:
    Crib_Problem_2.png
    Post edited by RyeCris16 on
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • Options
    @RyeCris16 I can confirm that bassinets will not download. I think I've read about this in the past, but it definitely belongs on our list. Thanks!
  • Options
    CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    So, roof eaves. I've already noticed in the pasts that those are a bit wonky sometimes when placed on another lot. Mostly shortened/prolonged on the wrong side etc. However, with my latest build, it wasn't very subtle when it went wrong. I decided to place it on every 40x30 lot to see where it happens. Results:

tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o3_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o4_r1_1280.jpg

I think I'm going to test this a bit further. But I'm hungry, so food first :p
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • Options
    @Cerrydd can you also post images that show what you mean when the roof eaves are right and again when they're wrong? Thanks!
  • Options
    I made a little test lot on Crick Cabana. It looks like this:

tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o6_r1_1280.jpg

The left roof has no eaves, the middle one has a longer eave on the top and the right one a longer eave at the bottom.

When I place this lot on Umbrage Manor (which is one of the red circled ones in my previous post) it ends up looking like this:

tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o5_r1_1280.jpg

Left one looks like it should, but the middle and right are wrong, the eaves are now on the other side.

What I'm going to do now is place this test thingy on every single lot in the neighbourhoods and see what happens with the eaves. I'll post my findings when I'm done :)
  • Options
    Okay, here it is.

When the test lot placed right, I gave it a green circle, and it looks like this:

tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o6_r1_1280.jpg

When the test lot placed wrong, as if it 'switched' the eaves around I gave it a red circle, and it looks like this:

tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o5_r1_1280.jpg

When the test lot placed wrong, as if it 'evened out' the eaves by giving every roof a bit of eave I gave it a blue circle, and it looks like this:

tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o7_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o8_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o9_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ngwoqshMRT1s873l7o10_r1_1280.jpg

So it goes wrong pretty often. I'm sure there are other factors involved though, because my latest build did place right on a few blue circled lots, but I'm not sure what it is. It at least shows that eaves are weird sometimes.
  • Options
    This is an interesting issue, @Cerrydd. I actually experienced it myself tonight when I placed your newest build on a 50x50 lot (my lazy habit when I look at homes I've downloaded from the Gallery). On the 50x50, the eaves of the right hand building wound up sticking way out. It was fine when placed on a 40x30. It is one of your "bad" lots from your prior test (which I guess both of the 50x50s are).
  • Options
    Yeah, that's exactly why I wanted to test it. Like I said, it has happened to me before, but I usually don't extend the eaves that far, so it's often very subtle when it happens. With Ellipse, it was very hard to miss :p It's very weird though, because like you said, when Ellipse places wrong, it's only the right side building that gets the eave extension. It's very unpredictable. And when it placed wrong, I also saw a MOO'd mirror and liquor cabinet floating in the air, but I didn't check to see if it messed with other items too.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I love all your ideas :D

I find build mode very frustrating and limited to the Sims 3 :\

More wall and floor coverings, especially floors :open_mouth:

2 carpets was a shock :\

Basements

Foundation improvement

Wall height improvement

Roof improvement

Many things listed on your thread. build mode lacks so much!

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    k3okik3oki Posts: 107 Member
    @BryonyRae‌ thanks for doing this list! CaS needs a discussion like this

Please add the split levels and foundations issues as a bug/request.

1- Split level "rooms" have no walls in cut walls view:
    nA9NrCw.jpg?1

2- Placing some objects on split level "rooms" is impossible:
    xsgfdDR.png?1
    it snaps to the wall over the foundation line, not going down even using cheats.

3- Let us choose a different foundation color/style for the outside and for the inside of a split-level "room"

4- Attics needs to be fixed/added as well.
  • Options
    tumblr_njdr06bzWb1s873l7o6_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_njdr06bzWb1s873l7o7_r1_400.jpg
    tumblr_njdr06bzWb1s873l7o8_r1_400.jpg

Has this always been the case? The three tallest windows available all cost $30. Seems off when their shorter counterparts are much more expensive :p
  • Options
    DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    Cerrydd wrote: »
    tumblr_njdr06bzWb1s873l7o6_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_njdr06bzWb1s873l7o7_r1_400.jpg
    tumblr_njdr06bzWb1s873l7o8_r1_400.jpg

Has this always been the case? The three tallest windows available all cost $30. Seems off when their shorter counterparts are much more expensive :p

The shorter ones cost more as they have to cut them from the largest one ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Sorry I haven't responded in a while, guys. I've been hip-deep in my current build (lots of stuff to bring to this thread when I'm done with it :p ), and I hadn't checked for new posts for a while.

@marcel21 Thanks! Yes, I think by now we are all feeling the limits of the current style and color selections. We definitely need lots more and/or a color palette. Not only was 2 carpets a shock, but they are hideous carpets too. :p

@k3oki You're welcome. I can't really add those items as bugs. You have to keep in mind that what we're doing by carving out foundation to simulate a split level does not actually change the foundation to a wall. When it comes to walls, you see the walls that are on the level you're on, and because you're down at foundation level, there are no walls to see. And when it comes to wall objects, they are a pain no matter what level you're on if you want to place them away from a wall and walls are nearby. You can work around this by placing the item *before* you place the wall. So with your fireplace example, if you delete the walls near where you're trying to place it, then you can place the fireplace at foundation level. Then re-add the walls. It is hugely irritating, I realize, which is why we've asked for the ability to turn the "snap to wall" feature off. I could request your third item, although I suspect it would be very difficult for Maxis to implement (the foundation has no concept of inside or outside), but I really think we're better off focusing on the request for actual split levels to be created in the game, so that we're not drilling down to foundation level in the first place.

@Cerrydd I think the pricing has always been wonky like that. I will add it to our "bug or feature" list.
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
  • Options
    k3okik3oki Posts: 107 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @k3oki You're welcome. I can't really add those items as bugs. You have to keep in mind that what we're doing by carving out foundation to simulate a split level does not actually change the foundation to a wall. When it comes to walls, you see the walls that are on the level you're on, and because you're down at foundation level, there are no walls to see. And when it comes to wall objects, they are a pain no matter what level you're on if you want to place them away from a wall and walls are nearby. You can work around this by placing the item *before* you place the wall. So with your fireplace example, if you delete the walls near where you're trying to place it, then you can place the fireplace at foundation level. Then re-add the walls. It is hugely irritating, I realize, which is why we've asked for the ability to turn the "snap to wall" feature off. I could request your third item, although I suspect it would be very difficult for Maxis to implement (the foundation has no concept of inside or outside), but I really think we're better off focusing on the request for actual split levels to be created in the game, so that we're not drilling down to foundation level in the first place.

Thanks for your reply, let's request Split-Levels implementation (would be good to do it over the current floor and under the floor too, especially if you have a foundation already placed in the building or if they implement the basements) that will likely solve all the other issues I mentioned. :smile:

Also, Attics should be requested too, I think this one is easier for them to implement since we can place items under the "rooms" the roof does, the only problem is that the game don't treat them like rooms.
  • Options
    SweetPeaSweetPea Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm not sure if anyone else has a problem identifying the location of doors and windows when placing rooms you have picked up and moved or on placing premade rooms bit I'd love if they could make them clearer just for placement!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    k3oki wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, let's request Split-Levels implementation (would be good to do it over the current floor and under the floor too, especially if you have a foundation already placed in the building or if they implement the basements) that will likely solve all the other issues I mentioned. :smile:

Also, Attics should be requested too, I think this one is easier for them to implement since we can place items under the "rooms" the roof does, the only problem is that the game don't treat them like rooms.

@k3oki It turns out that we didn't already have a request specifically for enhanced split levels, so I have added it as an item to the index. When it comes to attics, I think I need more clarification on what you want. You could in theory build an attic now if your home is two levels, because you can use the third level for the attic. Are you looking for more levels (we've requested them) or a new, specific type of room that would be designated as an attic space? Any images that might help illustrate what you'd expect to see?