Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Did All My Sims Become Homosexuals?

NicnacksNicnacks Posts: 27 Member
I have been playing sims for sometime and this has never happened to me... I have no mods, nor have ever used them. My latest expansion pack in Sims 3 is Island paradise (which I have had for over a year) then all of a sudden all my sims are all attracted to the same sex. They get calls asking to go on dates with the same sex. The kids always have same sex crushes in high school. I even caught a sim I moved out of my active household with his fiance (a woman) kissing another man in public! What is going on???

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Apparently they are indifferent to gender and their preference develops from the contact they have and friendships made. It is up to the player to control which way you want them to go.
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    That's kind of interesting since I've had the exact opposite happen in my current game. I purposely made two gay households. One has two males who are madly in love and the other has two females who are expermimenting. I like having diversity in my game so I always make sure to include all kinds of couples.

The game went and made them straight.

Both couples broke up and started dating the opposite gender, that annoyed me greatly since I wanted them to be gay.

I've never had the game make any of my Sims gay. I wonder why that happened in your game? Are there enough of the opposite gender for them to date?
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    There are mods that actually allow you to control the rate at which the game decides to influence individual Sims.
    I have just recently installed NRaas Story Progression , Overwatch and Error Trap ... My game now runs 10 times smoother with a full load of Sims in town.

I couldn't care less who gets hooked up with who ... And have seen things go either way with and without mods.
    In any case ... The Sims 3 game is a game, not a social experiment.
    The parameters are all set one way or the other ... Just not in ways to regard gender, race or whatever as a priority (unless you set them that way).

Before we get all mushy about how civilized Sims are ... Remember they will still get in a knock-down drag-out when Tom Wordy calls their mama a llama.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I was about to make a joke and list off the variables that influence real-life human sexuality, but nah.

The game seems to make YOU the determinant of your sims' orientation. If you have a sim flirt with someone of their sex first, then the game skews their own autonomous desires to be for sims of the same sex, and vice versa.

Without that, I think sims are more-or-less bi by default.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Every sim has a pre-determined attraction score for sims of the same and of the opposite gender. You can't see these without mods, but NRaas MasterController will allow them to be seen and changed on a sim by sim basis. And StoryProgression can be used to foster the creation of more or fewer gay and bi sims going forward.

By default, a freshly created or just aged up never yet been played teen sim has the following:
    0 towards their own gender
    0 towards the opposite gender

Clearly they can be swayed either, both, or neither ways; it only takes a few successful flirts with a sim otherwise deemed mutually attractive to do that.

A freshly created, never been played YA, A, or E sim has the following:
    -1 toward their own gender
    +2 towards the opposite gender

That makes them all straight be default, but again it doesn't take much to move their orientations in the other direction. That's not realistic, of course, but it allows the player to guide the sims they care about in certain directions through social and romantic interactions.

A sim in a happy, fulfilling relationship full of romance with one of the opposite gender will eventually end up with scores more like -100 towards their own and +300 towards the opposite. And the other way around for gay sims. Sims who are bi will end up with highly positive scores towards both genders and those who are a.sexual will have high negatives for both.

I've never seen a world go almost exclusively same gender all by itself as described, but just about anything can happen when left to the random devices of EA's own story progression.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    That is so funny. Like all of them? It might seem like such a hassle but you can switch households and fix from there.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Somthing like this?
    McGraw_Hart-a_zpsf6c26728.png
    Poor Dorie! She is in for a BIG suprise! :(

In this game, I was playing with Elizabeth Bathory (my vampire sim), and not Stiles or Gus. Elizabeth wasn't friends with either of them - not even aquaintances... yet. Everytime any of my sims meet someone (new, aquaintances, or friends), I ALWAYS "gossip" with them. So I wonder - if Elizabeth has a "chat" with Hank Goddard (for example) - he casually made a remark - not gossip, just a remark - about it.

NOW, Elizabeth meets up with Blair Wainwright (again, another example) later on. Elizabeth might share that little bit of info with Blair as they gossip. I don't really know if I'm over-thinking this or not, but then again, who knows WHAT those sims say as they "chat" ! We only get to know the gossip, but not the conversations between them.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2015
    Sims have always been bi from the very beginning. It's up to you as other people have said. The game itself would never make a sim anti-homosexual cause EA would be accused of being haters. It does seem like the sims tend to have no problems hooking up with whomever happens to be in the area.
  • Options
    Hmmm.....well I made Don Lothario and Jon Lessen a couple. Then I changed their gender preferences using a certain mod. The game still broke them up and had them date the opposite gender.

So yeah......gender determined by the player didn't happen in my game.

The game decided, so I changed them back to a couple and increased their distaste of the opposite gender to around -150. So far, they have stayed together. I was just annoyed that the game broke them up and ignored what I had done because I thought they were cute together. Don and Jon.....lol.
  • Options
    Sims can and will sometimes behave outside of their "assigned" gender prefs both user-directed and autonomously, no matter how those prefs are arranged. Doing so gives such a pairing, whether it's for the evening or for life, a hefty penalty but such can be overcome by a wide variety of other factors that influence mutual attraction.

This is actually one of those things EA did right, though none of us would know if that was on purpose or by accident. Orientation and behavior are not the same things 100% of the time. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    Oh well, in the "straight town" I've been playing, my naturally gay sim son (I never interfere with his orientation, and only found out about this when he only read male profiles when online dating) could not find a single partner. In the end I had to bend that Leonard Shelly from the university lol. (Well didn't have to, but he looked so happy when he was dancing with my sim son, so I helped him to come out :p )
    It's nice to have some varieties of towns in the sim nation :wink:
    tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

• Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited February 2015
    Someone else was just posting about this, IP was also their last EP. I had something of the same experience when I had the sim I was testing IP on just last night (it's supposed to be full of bugs but so far it's not that bad and I think all the lag is do to my graphics card). I had my sim check his online dating messages there and they were ALL from guys! LMAO! Is Paradise Island a gay resort and EA forgot to tell everyone? Ha Ha Ha!
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    I cannot say much ... My Sim is thinking about riding the fence anyway.
    The female mail carrier in my current game is freaking hot.

I didn't know who she was in my friends list when throwing a party ... So I invited her anyway.
    She showed up in a smoking outfit with great looks and a body to match.
    I finally asked her about her career and it turned out she was the mail carrier.

I will say three Hail Plums and go to the church that doesn't exist in the EA game come Sunday.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    SuttiPuttSuttiPutt Posts: 3,620 Member
    I heard if you turn free will setting off it keeps you from having this problem.
  • Options
    BlackSand wrote: »
    I cannot say much ... My Sim is thinking about riding the fence anyway.
    The female mail carrier in my current game is freaking hot.

I didn't know who she was in my friends list when throwing a party ... So I invited her anyway.
    She showed up in a smoking outfit with great looks and a body to match.
    I finally asked her about her career and it turned out she was the mail carrier.

I will say three Hail Plums and go to the church that doesn't exist in the EA game come Sunday.

Are you playing in Dragon Valley? I've seen screens of the mail carrier there, they say she's the prettiest Sim EA ever made and I believe it. I have never seen her in game, otherwise I'd save her to the bin to use as DNA for some future female Sim.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    SuttiPutt wrote: »
    I heard if you turn free will setting off it keeps you from having this problem.
    Free will is what allows an active sim to do things of their own accord. Switching it off will render your actives incapable of doing things just because they want to, occasionally perhaps playing an idle animation like scratching their nose, until something life threatening comes up like they are starving to death and need to eat or the game pushes them to come inside out of the rain or go to work.

While sims with no free will won't flirt with other sims until/unless you direct them since lack of flirts can't really be construed as life threatening by most players, they won't initiate much else on their own either. But that wouldn't change their orientation, that is, the genders they are attracted to or the sims they want to express affection for. And it won't stop inactive sims from walking up to your drooling id.iots er, I mean your sims with no free will, and expressing themselves if there is an attraction there.

There's nothing "wrong" with playing with free will off. Just wanted to point out that it doesn't fix an orientation that is different from what the player was expecting. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    I've seen in Lets Plays, the flirty trait in combination with others like charismatic and so forth will push a lot of Sims either way, especially if two flirty/charismatic Sims meet up.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I use SP and set my hood as straight. So if you're not opposed to mods you can pop that in and adjust the settings to how you like them.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I've had that happen in my Sims 2 game! My sims always seem to go for the same gender. It doesn't bother me, but sometimes, I think my game's got a secret.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    What mods control this issue for us that don't want this in our game? I noticed this kind of issue in sims2 and would chase them off,which seemed to help,wish they had this option in sims3 as well.
  • Options
    SuttiPutt wrote: »
    What mods control this issue for us that don't want this in our game? I noticed this kind of issue in sims2 and would chase them off,which seemed to help,wish they had this option in sims3 as well.
    As already mentioned, MasterController (MC Cheats optional add-on module also required) can be used to view and change the Gender Preference of individual sims. StoryProgression can be used to foster more or fewer gay sims in your worlds as they are created and as they progress. But SP also does around a thousand other things at the same time.

You can't shut down the entire gender preference system entirely, though, if that's what you meant and there is always a certain amount of randomness to it. It's just part of the game.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Well I didn't think that I would be able to do that,but controlling what you don't want the whole town to do some helps.Thanks for the information,checked out master controller and it looked confusing,but will check some others out to see what's out there just in case I think I may need them at any point in the future.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I wouldn't mind if some of them were gay if there's too many babies of one gender born and not enough of the other gender or there's been a depression cutting the birthrate way down for a long time and very few babies were born and most are girls.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    LOL SuttiPutt- just don't WooHoo them! Ha ha Ha! You do realize you don't have to right? Ha Ha Ha!
  • Options
    NicnacksNicnacks Posts: 27 Member
    I have never used mods and don't have a clue even to where to begin. Are there any negative side effects to installing mods?