Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Celebrate The Sims!

As we get ready to celebrate 15 years of all things The Sims, we wanted to share a few of our favorite fun facts. Do you have a favorite Sims fun fact? Why not post them here for all of us to enjoy?

dlowqdje9bp4.jpg

It Started with a Toilet
The first object ever created for The Sims was a toilet featured in the 1993 prototype. A variety of ways to interact with the toilet were introduced, from using it to cleaning it. According to the team, it was also the only object in the original game that different genders used differently—male Sims tended to leave the seat up!

When is a Language not a Language?
Sims speak Simlish, an expressive emotion-filled language that defies translation. In creating Simlish, the development team experimented with fractured Ukrainian and Tagalog, the language of the Philippines. Inspired by the code talkers of WWII, The Sims creator Will Wright also suggested Navajo. Over the years, fans have learned to recognize some words like Dag Dag for hello and nooboo for baby. My personal favorite is Sul Sul.

Funny Money
Sims have their own form of currency called Simoleons. The currency originated way back in early eighteenth-century Britain, where sixpence were often slangily called a Simon. Simon mixed with the much more valuable French gold coins called Napoleons became Simoleons!

Play it your Way
The appeal of The Sims is that there is no “right way” to play. Some players spend all their time building cool houses or following the personal lives of their Sims, while others like to create chaos wherever they go. Are you one of those players? If you have ever trapped your Sim in a room without a door, then the answer is probably yes!

Before they were Stars
The Sims has always sought out rising musical talent. Paramore, Katy Perry, Lily Allen, Fun, Bastille plus many others all recorded tracks in Simlish just as they were on the brink of mega-stardom. Wonder who the next megastar will be?
SimGuruBChick
Infinite Diversity, Infinite Combinations
Thanks to 06bon06 for my lovely new signature pic

p8sfgs0mgkwd.jpg

Comments

• colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Fun Fact: Justine Keaton is considered one of the best sims ever made. o:)
  • colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    Fun Fact: Simona Valenci is considered the second greatest sim in the Sims series. B)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Fun fact:
    Definition of the plumbob: "A plumb-bob or a plummet is a weight, usually with a pointed tip on the bottom, that is suspended from a string and used as a vertical reference line, or plumb-line. It is essentially the vertical equivalent of a "water level".

The instrument has been used since at least the time of ancient Egypt to ensure that constructions are "plumb", or vertical. It is also used in surveying to establish the nadir with respect to gravity of a point in space. They are used with a variety of instruments (including levels, theodolites, and steel tapes) to set the instrument exactly over a fixed survey marker, or to transcribe positions onto the ground for placing a marker."

The 1959 sci-fi film Journey to the Center of the Earth also references the plumbob. "In Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1880, Professor Sir Oliver Lindenbrook (James Mason), a geologist at the University of Edinburgh, is given a piece of volcanic rock by his admiring student, Alec McEwan (Pat Boone). Deciding that the rock is unusually heavy, Lindenbrook, mostly thanks to the carelessness of his lab assistant, Mr. Paisley (Ben Wright), discovers a plumb bob inside bearing a cryptic inscription. Lindenbrook and Alec discover that it was left by a scientist named Arne Saknussemm, who had, almost 300 years earlier, found a passage to the center of the Earth. After translating the message, Lindenbrook immediately sets off with Alec to follow in the Icelandic pioneer's footsteps."

The Sims 4 Olympus was going to introduce a blue plumbob color.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Fun Fact discovered by accident. Klepomaniacs can be made to return stolen items by clicking on the family mail box and selecting option to return. I have only seen this in TS3.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Joey2eyeballJoey2eyeball Posts: 1,792 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Fun Fact/Easter Egg: Nessie the Loch Ness Monster sometimes appeared in the lake in the neighborhood screen back in The Sims. There was also a cheat to make her appear.

Not exactly obscure, but at this point some people here have probably never played the original. :p

Was there a cheat? Huh, you learn a new thing everyday.
    My name is Joseph, please don't call me Joe or Joey.

Yours sincerely, Joseph :)
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Fun Fact/Easter Egg: Nessie the Loch Ness Monster sometimes appeared in the lake in the neighborhood screen back in The Sims. There was also a cheat to make her appear.

Not exactly obscure, but at this point some people here have probably never played the original. :p

Just type in "nessie" at the neighborhood screen. You can only spawn one at a time, though. Wouldn't want it to get TOO crowded. ;)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Joey2eyeballJoey2eyeball Posts: 1,792 Member

Just type in "nessie" at the neighborhood screen. You can only spawn one at a time, though. Wouldn't want it to get TOO crowded. ;)

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out next time I play (which won't be for ages because my laptop can't play anything at the moment).
    My name is Joseph, please don't call me Joe or Joey.

Yours sincerely, Joseph :)
  • AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    edited February 2015
    Funfact: There are actually four NPC cake dancers in The Sims 1. A hot male and female dancer, an Elvis impersonator and a sexy Gorilla. <3
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • EmberDahlEmberDahl Posts: 332 Member
    Funfact: There will be no toddlers in the new Sims 4 update... but there will be waddlers.
    Now after the update you can place the once previously cosmetic toilet roll on the far side of the bathroom, and your sims will reluctantly shuffle towards it with their pants 'round their ankles in an amusing waddling manner in order to finish their 'business'.
  • EmberDahlEmberDahl Posts: 332 Member
    edited February 2015
    Funfact: The new NPC police constables, or NPCPCs as they are soon to be referred as, will mainly do their crime fighting on their computers. These computers will be a newly created object that you can find in your inventory - these items will be called NPCPCPCs and for the moment only come in one colour- sepia
  • ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Fun fact: There were annoying and ridiculous zombies in The Sims 3 Supernatural :smiley:
  • TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    Fact:

Patches
    A patch is a piece of software designed to update a computer program or its supporting data, to fix or improve it.[1] This includes fixing security vulnerabilities[1] and other bugs, and improving the usability or performance. Though meant to fix problems, poorly designed patches can sometimes introduce new problems (see software regressions). In some special cases updates may knowingly break the functionality, for instance, by removing components for which the update provider is no longer licensed or disabling a device.
    Video games Patches
    Video games receive patches to fix compatibility problems after their initial release just like any other software, but they can also be applied to change game rules or algorithms.

DLC Free or otherwise
    Downloadable content (DLC) is additional content for a video game distributed through the Internet by the game's official publisher or other third party content producers. Downloadable content can be of several types, ranging from aesthetic outfit changes to a new, extensive storyline, similar to an expansion pack. As such, DLC may add new game modes, objects, levels, challenges or other features to a complete and already released game.

Just in case somebody forgot that game content are not fixes they are DLC and should be separate from patches to prevent further breaking of said game. :)
  • boguczed1boguczed1 Posts: 170 Member
    AnnePlays wrote: »
    Funfact: There are actually four NPC cake dancers in The Sims 1. A hot male and female dancer, an Elvis impersonator and a sexy Gorilla. <3
    And also a clown.
  • boguczed1boguczed1 Posts: 170 Member
    Fun Fact 1: The Enablellamas cheat does nothing.
    Fun Fact 2: In The Sims 2 there was a cheat called Joke please which told an awful joke.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    NOTICE: The topic of this thread is obvious. This is is a place to celebrate and share fun facts about The Sims. For all those people who are taking the opportunity to complain, moan or otherwise express their dissatisfaction, this is NOT the place to do it. There are plenty of other threads where you can do that. I will be removing all off topic posts. Please stay on topic.

Nice! Thank you! ;)

• MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    Fun Fact: The laundry gnome in Sims3 who appears out of nowhere and then moves around the lot at night, sometimes appearing in a different position. That freaked me out the first time I saw that! That is an example of one of the things I love the most about the Sims series-those moments of surprise, the unexpected moments that make you smile or laugh or startle you!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Fun Fact: Since the TS1 I had a crush on a particular male voice in the game. LOL, at my age! LOL He is no longer either at EA or voice actor for EA.
    Fun Fact: Many of the Sims' last names are the names of CEOs and Producers in the early series. Like Le Tourneau.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.