Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just bought The Sims 1!!

Comments

• winterlocwinterloc Posts: 348 Member
    edited January 2015
    Oh, may. I got mine addition House party on Saturday the 24th. It is already installed and I completed the installation of all my disks. I have also already played my game a bit. :D This was on my laptop not my desktop.

Sorry you have not gotten your game yet. Hope it comes real soon.
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    UPDATE > I AM CURSED NOT TO PLAY THE SIMS 1. First order, the disc was broken, second order the disc hasn't turned up.. .. .. *sobs* third time lucky???

I don't know where you are ordering from, but if it's amazon.com marketplace sellers, you can ask / demand a full refund. If they don't comply you can write a bad review on their "feedback" page. They definitely don't want that.

• FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    UPDATE > I AM CURSED NOT TO PLAY THE SIMS 1. First order, the disc was broken, second order the disc hasn't turned up.. .. .. *sobs* third time lucky???
    How much money have you spent?

I got a full refund on the first one, this one was £20.00 odd, but I've been through Amazon and they said they've sent the seller a message and if he does not send the item within 3 business days I can put a claim in.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
    zorba2357 wrote: »

I don't know where you are ordering from, but if it's amazon.com marketplace sellers, you can ask / demand a full refund. If they don't comply you can write a bad review on their "feedback" page. They definitely don't want that.

yup, the marketplace. I cannot find many copies of the complete collection that are not ridiculously priced. He said he is contacting the parcel company he used.. but I don't know :l it was supposed to arrive on 27th that was the last estimated day. I think I will be giving a bad review, because even if it does turn up now I've never had an item over the date before.
    edited January 2015
    Well, it's up to you but I would at least give them the benefit of the doubt, unless you know for sure or really think they did not mail it on time or whatever. I've heard the marketplace sellers pretty much get the short end of the stick. I sometimes wonder how they make any money (though postage costs quite a bit). Also I think the ones that really make money are rather large companies that just change their name from time to time.

Anyhow, a bad review can really hurt them, but do it if they deserve it. If they speak to you and try I would at least put that in the review. Sorry you are having bad luck with this. I've been super lucky really. I used to buy a lot from them, not so much anymore (I'm poor!). Also amazon keeps jacking up the shipping prices.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    @FluorescentSoap I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having. That's great you did get a refund on one purchase. Good luck on the other order and I hope you finally get a good copy.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    @FluorescentSoap I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having. That's great you did get a refund on one purchase. Good luck on the other order and I hope you finally get a good copy.

I received the game today, hopefully it works this one. ^-^
    Well, it's up to you but I would at least give them the benefit of the doubt, unless you know for sure or really think they did not mail it on time or whatever. I've heard the marketplace sellers pretty much get the short end of the stick. I sometimes wonder how they make any money (though postage costs quite a bit). Also I think the ones that really make money are rather large companies that just change their name from time to time.

Anyhow, a bad review can really hurt them, but do it if they deserve it. If they speak to you and try I would at least put that in the review. Sorry you are having bad luck with this. I've been super lucky really. I used to buy a lot from them, not so much anymore (I'm poor!). Also amazon keeps jacking up the shipping prices.

I would never leave a bad review unless absolutely necessary. I would mention the delay in the posting but if this disc works I will also mention how he handled the issues with shipping and sent out a replacement quickly and kept in contact. That is true, a lot of big companies on Amazon and high shiping prices.

I always buy from Amazon too :), hah me too I spend too much money recently.
    edited January 2015
    Take two!

nqbn7l.jpg

The image is rotated!! but wasn't when I took it. ;p but that is my new one. I can't help but feel hopeful and also extremely excited ^-^ ahh

--

SO FAR I HAVE GOT PAST DISC TWO!!!! <3 SO IT'S LOOKING GOOD SO FAR,E EEE
    NOPE, I AM CURSED, CURSED! :( UUGH I do not understand, it got to disc 4 this time! disc 4!!! and said data component transfer error on sounds. >-> I am at a loss.
    I wish I could help you. It's frustrating when you're just talking to someone but can't get your hands on the computer personally. If it were me I would spend my time googling the issue like crazy. Trying different words and phrases in your googling. There has got to be an answer out there. I'm not believing it's ALL these discs. I think it's something about your computer sorry to say. Some setting, something. Just be really cautious What you do to the computer also and what you may download. If it says" Sound " maybe it has something to do with that?
    I wish I could help you. It's frustrating when you're just talking to someone but can't get your hands on the computer personally. If it were me I would spend my time googling the issue like crazy. Trying different words and phrases in your googling. There has got to be an answer out there. I'm not believing it's ALL these discs. I think it's something about your computer sorry to say. Some setting, something. Just be really cautious What you do to the computer also and what you may download. If it says" Sound " maybe it has something to do with that?

I know, I wish I could hand it over and get one of you to help XD. I wish it was, I just don't know what to search. I will post the new data error when it comes up. It always stops with the last part on this one.
    I can only find my issue with some people but they get no answers, and mostly people with TS3 have had this issue. I don't think it is the PC because I tried it on my laptop too. it has to either be the disc or a setting, but I don't understand why it installs the first 3 discs. : (
    edited January 2015
    For some reason it won't let me copy the link, I don't know why but try googling "MTS2" or Mod the Sims . A huge site with lots of info. Go to "discussions" (top menu) sims 1. There's a whole sims 1 forum there. I'll try and look up some more.

And you said you are on windows 8.1. I'm not familiar with 8.1 but I know some people have it and said they have installed sims 1.
    edited January 2015
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/773540/sims-1-with-all-expansions-can-run-in-windows-8-1-but-solved-i-hope

http://www.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=662

Solved the link issue. It needs to be highlighted first (didn't used to).

http://forums.thesimsresource.com/index.php?/forum/31-the-sims-1-discussions/

Found this through a search "How to install sims 1 on windows 8.1" . You might pull up the full youtube version and click "read more" under the first written paragraph by the author.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6HaxjlBMUQ
    edited January 2015

Thanks I'll have a read and see if my issue comes up. One thing I am wondering though, is that I've never defraged this computer. IS IT necessary? I think me and sims 1 isn't meant to be. ;( I see a lot of people say the error is to do with faulty discs.

" Data error(cyclic Redundancy Check)" so annoying. D: I guess I have to ask the seller, and see if he can help me.
    Post edited by FluorescentSoap on
    edited January 2015
    The seller just sells the product. I wouldn't count on him being a computer expert.

Older computers needed defragging, but it's not as important in the newer computers. Unless you have a tiny hardrive, it seems an unlikely solution.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Is the disk scratched at all? Back when it was just The Sims, my disk did this when I scratched them. It could be that you just got another bad disc. :(
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    The seller just sells the product. I wouldn't count on him being a computer expert.

Older computers needed defragging, but it's not as important in the newer computers. Unless you have a tiny hardrive, it seems an unlikely solution.

I don't know whether to refund it now or try and find some more solutions, I want to try it on the laptop tomorrow after work first. Ok, thanks, I wasn't sure about defragging.
    Is the disk scratched at all? Back when it was just The Sims, my disk did this when I scratched them. It could be that you just got another bad disc. :(

I can't see any scratches, they are used again but only because new ones cost too much money! and as much as I love the sims I won't fork out £100 for the sims 1. I'm going to give the sims1 a break and focus back on my TS2 until I give it a try again..
    Have you tried installing the game in safe mode? You say your error is now with disk 4 sound error. I read there was a patch put out back in the day for your error. However I do not think you can get it. the patch was for your version for living large can not remember what your game would be called living something.

You are on disk 4 have you gone in to play any of the game at all? You can go play the game as you install the disks. You do not have to install them all at once. If you can get into the game go to game options and shut off the sound. Uncheck it or just shut it off.

Here is a link for trying it in safe mode.

http://forums.filefront.com/f-e-r-problems-errors-help/232520-feature-transfer-error-fixed.html

I really do not know if this will help you but it is worth giving it a read any way.

• boguczed1boguczed1 Posts: 170 Member
    Godlike wrote: »
    Boo!

What's the OS you're on? Considering I had to make a few tweaks to install TS1 on my Win7.

I'm not sure what OS is, but I have Microsoft, Windows 8.1. 64 bit operating system.

Everytime I google I only find things about Sims 3 with this issue. I know it isn't my dvd drive that is the problem because disc 1 installs fine. Disc two doesn't seem to be working or have much on it at all but I don't really know what's supposed to be on it.

Try to run the installer on compatibility mode. Open the CD drive on My Computer, right click on Setup.exe, go to the compatibility tab and select run in Windows XP compatibility mode.
    winterloc wrote: »
    Have you tried installing the game in safe mode? You say your error is now with disk 4 sound error. I read there was a patch put out back in the day for your error. However I do not think you can get it. the patch was for your version for living large can not remember what your game would be called living something.

You are on disk 4 have you gone in to play any of the game at all? You can go play the game as you install the disks. You do not have to install them all at once. If you can get into the game go to game options and shut off the sound. Uncheck it or just shut it off.

Here is a link for trying it in safe mode.

http://forums.filefront.com/f-e-r-problems-errors-help/232520-feature-transfer-error-fixed.html

I really do not know if this will help you but it is worth giving it a read any way.

I haven't tried that yet. Yes it is, with the original disc it was on something else but this time it is on sound data apparently. I don't think I can because it is the complete collection so it installs all at once with the four discs. I'll have a read :) thanks.
    I think you can. You would use disk one to play the game. I too have complete collection, Plus Deluxe and then I have the rest of the disks as separate disks. Each time I installed those disks I had to go back to disk one of my Deluxe addition. I think I also had to do disk 2 of deluxe as well. Then go back to each of the separate game disks. That is why the complete collection is easier to install. Less time taken to install the game.

I do have a patch in my complete collection for Bob and Betty and I think the Charming sim?? I think when these games came out complete and deluxe the patches were included in them.

I just installed my deluxe and separate cd's on my laptop. I had to buy a new optical drive. I bought an external dvd/cd drive as my laptop only had a dvd optical drive. When I did this installation of disks I went into the game and checked it out before installing the rest. I did that with each disk installation. I even created a sim family before all disks were installed.

Well try to install in safe mode via instructions in link and let us know what happens and how it all works out.
  • ЗарастроикаЗарастроика Posts: 5 New Member
    Mm, my game installed just fine in both Windows 7, and 8.1· I guess some people have problems with the game based in their hardware· O.o