Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

its really not that bad of a game....

Comments

• domestictipudomestictipu Posts: 233 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I was going to let this just sit right here, however, I am going to respond. No, it's not a bad game 'IF' it had been sold for Console and or Tablet.

What you find appealing is generally what players who enjoyed The Sims on console like in those versions. I suppose as a Character Creation it is anywhere from o.k. to meh. Because, as nice as it is to push and pull on Sims, the lack of personality given to them diminishes the whole concept wouldn't you have to agree? And as much as you can model them in ways we couldn't do before, it's somewhat lack luster to say 'customization' when you can't really customize anything about them other than body parts. So, that's a 'meh'.

I have a zillion 'O.K.' games. And you know what, I rarely play them. I start to play them and think, meh, I will play something I find amazing and more appealing.

Considering the 'aspirations' and thinking 'real people' don't aspire to do 'one' thing in their life tells me you haven't been around long, people who have aspired to reach one goal in their life, no matter how far or out of reach are actually very lucky they got to spend their entire life chasing their dream, when the most of us 'must' change many times before we find that 'one aspiration' and or lucky enough to be able to pursue it. So, that's not exactly true nor keeping true with 'real life' in this game, if you can just swamp on a dime, and abandon your core being.

That's why the other games had cheats to change. Or either given in a reward to change with an object or gained reward somehow.

Staying on point about the 'aspirations' it seems people who do love the console games do find the grind of these appealing and that is because they are played out much like the busy work in console games.

I don't know about you or anyone else, but no, I'm not part of a 'group think'. Or mob mentality. I can actually reason and work out things for myself without outside influence. And I would say if I think something is just 'O.K' I'm probably not going to use that product again, and or go to that place again, or try that thing again. No matter what it is.

If EA would like me to actually 'view' this game as a different game once removed from the series, like a distant cousin, then it would have been better for them to not have called it The Sims '4'. But sold it on console or tablet and or even Co op, because to be honest it would have been a better game if it had been for console.

Because like me, those who have played this series for years, (many) when we want to get our game time on, for the 'PC Series' we actually prefer to do that on the PC, where the game is fully fleshed out and offers much more in 'life simulation' than say what the console versions did.

So, it's not a matter of hate, and or mob mentality, it's that most of us have played all versions of these games, even on their phones, and we know what is what, and we see this one isn't for PC.

See, this is why it's so confusing to me... and this will probably come out wrong but, do you even play the game? Because while I totally agree on your view on the average console game, I just don't see that in The Sims 4. And I don't understand how anyone could, if they actually played the game. And who is "we" because I've played most versions of these games, but I still don't see it the way you do?
    wedding%2Bhobo.png
  • BayalynnBayalynn Posts: 67 Member
    I love the sims 4. It's the best one yet. But I'm really starting to hate the haters, especially those who have not even played the game. The "Omg, I'm so bored i can't do anything"-statement i really don't understand. People must really have tunnel vision if they think that about the sims 4. There's not been a base game yet that is more fleshed out with more things to do and that's a fact.

What's even worse is the lack of constructive criticism. Fine you're bored, but more than likely that has nothing to do with the game and more to do with you.
    If you want a game to improve you need to encourage it, basic psychology. I just hope the developers are listening to us who like the game and not to those who hate it and don't play it. Our opinions and critisism are worth more than theirs.

You're starting to hate the "haters" therefore becoming a hater yourself. Don't hate because people are exercise their right as customers and complain when they feel ripped off. A lot of people refuse to be sold cow poo and be told its gold when they feel darn well it isn't. There have been plenty constructive criticism post on this thread where people literally OUTLINE things they liked and disliked about the game and yet they are labeled as "haters".

I'd also beg to differ on your "There's not been a base game yet that is more fleshed out with more things to do and that's a fact. " That is actually your opinion and not a fact because my opinion is the Sims 1-3 basegames felt like completed games that people didn't get bored of in a span of 2 days.

If I want my kid do do better in school because he/she is failing I don't reward them until those grades go up.If I keep rewarding them they'll think nothing is wrong therefor those unsatisfactory grades will keep coming home. Same concept with EA. our money is their profit [reward]. If people stop paying them for poo then they won't keep selling poo. If they see a fool with money that will buy the poo they will continue selling less for more and in turn make an outrageous profit which is what they are doing with the sims 4...Selling a nearly empty basegame and releasing expansion packs with things that should have been in there in the first place. The opinions of potential and current customers is worth it to EA because they want more money, and if potential customers don't buy and/or customers leave, well, they make less money.

• sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I was going to let this just sit right here, however, I am going to respond. No, it's not a bad game 'IF' it had been sold for Console and or Tablet.

What you find appealing is generally what players who enjoyed The Sims on console like in those versions. I suppose as a Character Creation it is anywhere from o.k. to meh. Because, as nice as it is to push and pull on Sims, the lack of personality given to them diminishes the whole concept wouldn't you have to agree? And as much as you can model them in ways we couldn't do before, it's somewhat lack luster to say 'customization' when you can't really customize anything about them other than body parts. So, that's a 'meh'.

I have a zillion 'O.K.' games. And you know what, I rarely play them. I start to play them and think, meh, I will play something I find amazing and more appealing.

Considering the 'aspirations' and thinking 'real people' don't aspire to do 'one' thing in their life tells me you haven't been around long, people who have aspired to reach one goal in their life, no matter how far or out of reach are actually very lucky they got to spend their entire life chasing their dream, when the most of us 'must' change many times before we find that 'one aspiration' and or lucky enough to be able to pursue it. So, that's not exactly true nor keeping true with 'real life' in this game, if you can just swamp on a dime, and abandon your core being.

That's why the other games had cheats to change. Or either given in a reward to change with an object or gained reward somehow.

Staying on point about the 'aspirations' it seems people who do love the console games do find the grind of these appealing and that is because they are played out much like the busy work in console games.

I don't know about you or anyone else, but no, I'm not part of a 'group think'. Or mob mentality. I can actually reason and work out things for myself without outside influence. And I would say if I think something is just 'O.K' I'm probably not going to use that product again, and or go to that place again, or try that thing again. No matter what it is.

If EA would like me to actually 'view' this game as a different game once removed from the series, like a distant cousin, then it would have been better for them to not have called it The Sims '4'. But sold it on console or tablet and or even Co op, because to be honest it would have been a better game if it had been for console.

Because like me, those who have played this series for years, (many) when we want to get our game time on, for the 'PC Series' we actually prefer to do that on the PC, where the game is fully fleshed out and offers much more in 'life simulation' than say what the console versions did.

So, it's not a matter of hate, and or mob mentality, it's that most of us have played all versions of these games, even on their phones, and we know what is what, and we see this one isn't for PC.

See, this is why it's so confusing to me... and this will probably come out wrong but, do you even play the game? Because while I totally agree on your view on the average console game, I just don't see that in The Sims 4. And I don't understand how anyone could, if they actually played the game. And who is "we" because I've played most versions of these games, but I still don't see it the way you do?

@‌domestictipu
    I see it. I've played the game for a lot of hours, bought on preorder and was trying to force myself to like it.
    If you want to understand why people feel this way take a wander to the feedback section-there are wonderful constructive criticism posts addressing all these issues. People don't tend to react well to 'do you even play the game?' Because it infers a dismissal of their experience.
    It would be like if I said do you 'do you even play the game?' Because I don't like it in it's current state. Either way it's bound to escalate a situation where there really doesn't need to be an escalation :)
  • KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Not bad yes but not good enough for many other players. There is no denying the Sims 4 isn't well compared to it Predecessor.
  • MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)

EA lowered the budget for this game? Where did they say that? O.o

TS2 had more than preset faces. TS2 came with Body Shop. . . do you know there was more facial sliders in Bodyshop? Did you know we could make new clothes (or recolor) with Body Shop? We could recolor, re-catagorize, redo their clothes, their hair, their eyes, their skin, their makeup.... This version isn't better, it's graphically brighter or at least more up to date but not better for creating Sims. Not at all. TS2 can beat TS4 in creating Sims- the graphics just aren't up to 2014.

TS3 had more than sliders for making faces. I sometimes wonder what game people played because some comments confuse me with their untruth. O.O

If all you get is hate on this forum then spread some love for the game without putting others down. Make posts about enjoying the game without slamming others who might not like the game. Post little 'What I did in my game/What I saw/do/enjoy/pictures... yada yada in my favorite game' if that's what you want to read here. Be the Brightness, shine some fun...

It confuses me to no end when I read posts about hating the hate but all they do is spread more. Be the one to post the fun! Make it the way you want and remember to make it fun. *sigh*

:yum:

Oh, and I quit reading after you started talking about fulfilling the kids aspirations. I don't really play kids that way, for me they're supposed to be for fun and play and skill playing. It bothers me to have a house of 8 and have to worry about all their aspiration fulfillment. Kids should have wishes, not aspirations- but I also realize that's the way I play. It's there if you like it and more fun for you. Weee! :mrgreen:

PS- you might want to change your signature. ;)

Great post Rflong!

It amazes me to no end that people will complain about all the negativity but then throw names like hater around and try to place blame on other simmers when really EA should be the ones to blame for all the dissatisfied customers.

Agreed. On several occasions I have looked in on a thread where the title seems to indicate a desire to look at the positive aspects of Sims4. I am truly interested to see what people like about the game, maybe telling me something that I have yet to hear, wondering if I am missing something. And then, often times, I see another message added to the post that indicates that maybe there is another motive behind the thread, other than just talking about positive feelings for Sims4. In these threads I'm referring to, a comment is often made about how the poster feels about the negativity of those who dislike Sims4. The poster might complain about labels being used to describe their enjoyment for the game by using labels themselves-such as "haters" or maybe calling what they write, "garbage" and writing about how the negative people have disrupted the forums and caused the "positive" people to feel they need to leave the forums or caused them to feel uncomfortable contributing to discussions. So, along with a comment about the poster's positive opinion about Sims4 is a negative comment about those who disagree. How is this different from those they are critical of? There is negativity in these threads as well only it's not toward EA but toward the people who have expressed their disappointment of the game. This has been the dynamic in the Sims4 forum from the very beginning, from the very first comments about Sims4.

I was reading a thread, about a week ago. The OP described their positive feelings of the game, wondering if they were one of only a few who were enjoying the game. The thread had just begun and I posted quickly to say that they were not the only one, that many people enjoyed the game and I was glad they were having fun. Subsequently, people who also enjoy Sims4 came on the thread to express their agreement-but all but myself and one other poster- made a comment about how expressing their enjoyment of the game was pointless in such a negative environment. There were no comments from those who are disappointed with the game. None. Yet, the thread still had plenty of negative comments-they just happened to be directed toward other Simmers. The thread was a great opportunity for people to talk about their love of the game and to be an upbeat and positive atmosphere but instead it was commentary on how negative the forums were. My point-the negativity is coming from multiple directions. If we truly want to change the dynamics here, why not begin by creating posts where we aren't blaming one "side" of the debate for all the negativity or the uncomfortable atmosphere? Unless we are all willing to take responsibility for what we are all posting here, the outcome will always be the same.
  • SummersBuffSummersBuff Posts: 74 Member
    edited January 2015
    Sims 1 & 2 humor
    Sims 2 game interactions and play style
    Sims 3 level of openness and creativity with better coding
    Sims 4 CAS functions

All in one game please. I find emotions in TS4 to be useless. I do like how they slam the door if they're angry, but I wish it were more like the moodlets from TS3. Can they just have those again? Does my sim have to experience a different emotion every three seconds? It is very distracting. Multitasking was a great thought but it took my sims 3 hours to eat. A minor issue and I am sure that could be fixed as I do like the idea of multitasking.

I do not like the idea of questing or collecting. I find that would work best in a stuff pack such as Sims Collectables where you can collect gems, bugs, and etc. I want more freedom with my sim life..more options. This far into the franchise it is a bit ridiculous that the base game has not added so much more. I was bored inside my house, I was bored outside my house. A mall, a grocery story, a restaurant, and so much more..like a community pool!

When the base game is released in full I will gladly give up my $60 and more on EPs. Until then...
    Mandylcd wrote: »

TS2 had more than preset faces. TS2 came with Body Shop. . . do you know there was more facial sliders in Bodyshop? Did you know we could make new clothes (or recolor) with Body Shop? We could recolor, re-catagorize, redo their clothes, their hair, their eyes, their skin, their makeup.... This version isn't better, it's graphically brighter or at least more up to date but not better for creating Sims. Not at all. TS2 can beat TS4 in creating Sims- the graphics just aren't up to 2014.

TS3 had more than sliders for making faces. I sometimes wonder what game people played because some comments confuse me with their untruth. O.O

If all you get is hate on this forum then spread some love for the game without putting others down. Make posts about enjoying the game without slamming others who might not like the game. Post little 'What I did in my game/What I saw/do/enjoy/pictures... yada yada in my favorite game' if that's what you want to read here. Be the Brightness, shine some fun...

It confuses me to no end when I read posts about hating the hate but all they do is spread more. Be the one to post the fun! Make it the way you want and remember to make it fun. *sigh*

Oh, and I quit reading after you started talking about fulfilling the kids aspirations. I don't really play kids that way, for me they're supposed to be for fun and play and skill playing. It bothers me to have a house of 8 and have to worry about all their aspiration fulfillment. Kids should have wishes, not aspirations- but I also realize that's the way I play. It's there if you like it and more fun for you. Weee! :mrgreen:

Great post Rflong!

It amazes me to no end that people will complain about all the negativity but then throw names like hater around and try to place blame on other simmers when really EA should be the ones to blame for all the dissatisfied customers.

Agreed. On several occasions I have looked in on a thread where the title seems to indicate a desire to look at the positive aspects of Sims4. I am truly interested to see what people like about the game, maybe telling me something that I have yet to hear, wondering if I am missing something. And then, often times, I see another message added to the post that indicates that maybe there is another motive behind the thread, other than just talking about positive feelings for Sims4. In these threads I'm referring to, a comment is often made about how the poster feels about the negativity of those who dislike Sims4. The poster might complain about labels being used to describe their enjoyment for the game by using labels themselves-such as "haters" or maybe calling what they write, "garbage" and writing about how the negative people have disrupted the forums and caused the "positive" people to feel they need to leave the forums or caused them to feel uncomfortable contributing to discussions. So, along with a comment about the poster's positive opinion about Sims4 is a negative comment about those who disagree. How is this different from those they are critical of? There is negativity in these threads as well only it's not toward EA but toward the people who have expressed their disappointment of the game. This has been the dynamic in the Sims4 forum from the very beginning, from the very first comments about Sims4.

I was reading a thread, about a week ago. The OP described their positive feelings of the game, wondering if they were one of only a few who were enjoying the game. The thread had just begun and I posted quickly to say that they were not the only one, that many people enjoyed the game and I was glad they were having fun. Subsequently, people who also enjoy Sims4 came on the thread to express their agreement-but all but myself and one other poster- made a comment about how expressing their enjoyment of the game was pointless in such a negative environment. There were no comments from those who are disappointed with the game. None. Yet, the thread still had plenty of negative comments-they just happened to be directed toward other Simmers. The thread was a great opportunity for people to talk about their love of the game and to be an upbeat and positive atmosphere but instead it was commentary on how negative the forums were. My point-the negativity is coming from multiple directions. If we truly want to change the dynamics here, why not begin by creating posts where we aren't blaming one "side" of the debate for all the negativity or the uncomfortable atmosphere? Unless we are all willing to take responsibility for what we are all posting here, the outcome will always be the same.

@Mandylcd you are my forum hero of the day <3 fantastic post and so, so true :(
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited January 2015
    Mandylcd wrote: »

Great post Rflong!

It's just that you can't even step into a positive thread and the flame baiting begins. Rather than just focus on what is so good about the sims 4. The majority must always and i mean always start to bash on the people who do not like the game. It's clear they don't care about people getting what they would like for the game, They want people to care that they have a place to post positive thread in the forum but equally don't wish to provide the same reasoning into their own threads. Why should anyone here them out about how good the game is if they can't even focus their own topics on to how good the game is. This is just a kick a person while they're done festival. It didn't take long for the thread to go from being about the game isn't that bad to being about the people posting in this forum. The op not showing any remorse to the people she offended. You don't have to read it, but you clearly broke the forum rules in posting it. What would probably would have been a great discussion about areas of where the game good always ends up yeah the game is good an let's spread hate on the people who don't like. I almost always come into those thread and maybe 1 or 2 posters go into detail about what they like about the game. The rest can't stick to just that.

Like i said if i was sitting there doing the opposite, i most likely would be in trouble. This is what you call destructive praise. The guise to give praise and throw insults both at the same time, does not encourage positivity in the forums and has the opposite affect. Majority cant shift focus to being what is good on the game but rather what is bad about the forums.
    Bayalynn wrote: »

You're starting to hate the "haters" therefore becoming a hater yourself. Don't hate because people are exercise their right as customers and complain when they feel ripped off. A lot of people refuse to be sold cow poo and be told its gold when they feel darn well it isn't. There have been plenty constructive criticism post on this thread where people literally OUTLINE things they liked and disliked about the game and yet they are labeled as "haters".

I'd also beg to differ on your "There's not been a base game yet that is more fleshed out with more things to do and that's a fact. " That is actually your opinion and not a fact because my opinion is the Sims 1-3 basegames felt like completed games that people didn't get bored of in a span of 2 days.

If I want my kid do do better in school because he/she is failing I don't reward them until those grades go up.If I keep rewarding them they'll think nothing is wrong therefor those unsatisfactory grades will keep coming home. Same concept with EA. our money is their profit [reward]. If people stop paying them for poo then they won't keep selling poo. If they see a fool with money that will buy the poo they will continue selling less for more and in turn make an outrageous profit which is what they are doing with the sims 4...Selling a nearly empty basegame and releasing expansion packs with things that should have been in there in the first place. The opinions of potential and current customers is worth it to EA because they want more money, and if potential customers don't buy and/or customers leave, well, they make less money.

It is a fact because if I list the things included in The Sims 4 base game compared to The Sims 3 one, the list is going to be a lot longer. And that is because of the in depth, detailed features that the Sims 4 has, even without those few features left out from the Sims 3. I simply can't get my head around people not seeing this? Either it's tunnel vision, they don't play the game or I don't know. :\

Sometimes all I hear is "bla bla bla nearly empty base game bla bla bla" because using a statement that simply isn't true makes the whole sentence worthless to me. I am interested in why some don't like the game, and I'm also interested in how, for them, it could be improved, and I'm sure Maxis is too. But statements that aren't true aren't going to get listened to. I get that that is how you might feel about the game, fair enough, but it's not helping anyone to not elaborate on why. That's why it's so frustrating, people stating that the game is e.g. "empty" because of a couple of missing features, completely disregarding all the features that are in the game that are more advanced and developed than they've ever been in a base game before.

Reward those features that you like about the game (even if you hate the rest) and encourage development of features you'd like to have. Hating on something that is already there is not going to change anything from a developing point of view.

wedding%2Bhobo.png
    Bayalynn wrote: »

It is a fact because if I list the things included in The Sims 4 base game compared to The Sims 3 one, the list is going to be a lot longer. And that is because of the in depth, detailed features that the Sims 4 has, even without those few features left out from the Sims 3. I simply can't get my head around people not seeing this? Either it's tunnel vision, they don't play the game or I don't know. :\

Sometimes all I hear is "bla bla bla nearly empty base game bla bla bla" because using a statement that simply isn't true makes the whole sentence worthless to me. I am interested in why some don't like the game, and I'm also interested in how, for them, it could be improved, and I'm sure Maxis is too. But statements that aren't true aren't going to get listened to. I get that that is how you might feel about the game, fair enough, but it's not helping anyone to not elaborate on why. That's why it's so frustrating, people stating that the game is e.g. "empty" because of a couple of missing features, completely disregarding all the features that are in the game that are more advanced and developed than they've ever been in a base game before.

Reward those features that you like about the game (even if you hate the rest) and encourage development of features you'd like to have. Hating on something that is already there is not going to change anything from a developing point of view.

Look its not a fact just because you made a list of things. Its subjective. Plenty of play styles were damaged in production of sims 4 and if you were one of the lucky ones thats great! But there are articulate reasons. Just because you choose to dismiss your fellow simmers because you disagree with something they say doesn't make their opinion invalid.

@SimGuruBChick very clearly said everyones feedback is useful. So we don't get to judge each other's feedback.
  • yunagarnetyunagarnet Posts: 417 Member
    All I'll say is that I never liked TS3. Probably never will. However, I never said that they should just scrap it and move on and I've never tried to make people feel bad for liking the game (No one in this thread is doing it but I have seen it happen). I just continued to play TS2 and other games. I was excited for TS4 and it disappointed me greatly...but I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. Also I've seen mentions of console games which reminded me of TS2 on the ps2 and I have to say that game was amazing.
    “Honestly, we didn’t meet player expectations at launch, and that was a difficult pill to swallow,” - The Sims 4 executive producer, Rachel Franklin.
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member

Sometimes it is that small handful of features which renders an otherwise great game rather useless to some. Just because it does have some great features does not make up for the areas in which it is lacking for many. A wider variety of surfaces or chairs doesn't make it a fulfilling game to everyone. Replacing toddlers with walk styles isn't a fair trade for everyone. Replacing portable babies for the ability to slot pop stuff while multi-tasking seems like a bum deal to others. Losing open world for loading screens for those who didn't have lag in TS3 seems like a huge step down, and the creative hit taken by a lot of simmers with the removal of CaSt for no apparent benefit whatsoever has taken a lot of enjoyment out of playing their way.

You can have a top of the line luxury automobile with every amenity known to the automotive industry, but if that puppy doesn't have wheels you're going nowhere. Nowhere in style but nowhere nonetheless. Some people are fine with that, they never went anywhere anyway and are super happy with the stereo system and heated seats, but some would rather go for a spin. That is how the game feels for some. It is hard to appreciate what there is that is obviously good about this game when there are game ruining gaps.

tl/dr? bla bla bla
  • blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    @ModerateOsprey‌ it's an interesting concept, and I've thought a lot about whether I would enjoy 4 had I not played other games. The answer is no, and I can be fairly sure about that because I have no interest in doing the things that are available to Sims in 4. Bar hopping and carousing are too heavily emphasized and a lot of it just feels juvenile and forced, the goofiness and awkwardness break my immersion. I probably wouldn't have looked at it twice. If I had, I would have waited for a sale - and I would have just walked away because I wouldn't have such an attachment to the series. I see what you're saying about expectations and it probably would sit better with folks who didn't play previous titles, because this one is undoubtedly the odd one out.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg

Look its not a fact just because you made a list of things. Its subjective. Plenty of play styles were damaged in production of sims 4 and if you were one of the lucky ones thats great! But there are articulate reasons. Just because you choose to dismiss your fellow simmers because you disagree with something they say doesn't make their opinion invalid.

@SimGuruBChick very clearly said everyones feedback is useful. So we don't get to judge each other's feedback.

I didn't have to make a list... and while I might be disagreeing, I'm not dismissing or saying that someone's opinion is invalid. I'm saying that if a person does not elaborate on their opinion, they might as well not share it because it's not constructive. But it doesn't matter how I try to explain what I said, clearly there's always someone that reads it wrong, oh well!
    wedding%2Bhobo.png
    @ModerateOsprey‌ it's an interesting concept, and I've thought a lot about whether I would enjoy 4 had I not played other games. The answer is no, and I can be fairly sure about that because I have no interest in doing the things that are available to Sims in 4. Bar hopping and carousing are too heavily emphasized and a lot of it just feels juvenile and forced, the goofiness and awkwardness break my immersion. I probably wouldn't have looked at it twice. If I had, I would have waited for a sale - and I would have just walked away because I wouldn't have such an attachment to the series. I see what you're saying about expectations and it probably would sit better with folks who didn't play previous titles, because this one is undoubtedly the odd one out.

Completely agree @ModerateOsprey the sims has been my only game by choice. I dont enjoy other types of games so I appreciated the opportunity in the sims to be creative and play my way. The sandbox is very much diminished in the sims 4. So even though I campaign for family play I miss my sandbox with all my heart too. There are thousands of games I could play which could give me a linear path to follow for entertainment. Theres a reason I dont. Because I dont find them fun :( So if this is the sims from now on-a world where we are told what to do I will leave the sims and gaming behind until I find another sandbox I fancy playing.
    Just for information I grew up gaming-I started with an atari as a tiny girl as my parents let me play their pride and joy and I graduated up through various types of PC games and through megadrive and many consoles since. I own an xbox360 so its not like I havent tried. But none of the games really grabbed me like the sims. I have lots of other hobbies and the sims was the only game that distracted me from them!
  • EmberDahlEmberDahl Posts: 332 Member
    Well I'll try and add some positives. I really like the game, but fully understand why other more dedicated players are upset. This is the first time I've really bothered with a Sims game- I tried Sims 3 for a bit, but found it all a bit dead eyed and bland in the looks department, and it just looked like a lot of time needed to be invested in it to get the most out of it. I don't get a lot of time to muck about on games these days, so just gave up. I must add that I am an animator by profession, so patience is one of my virtues rather than being a youngster with a short attention span. It's just I thought if I was going to spend my free time on a toy as a relaxing fun way to unwind, then Sims 3 looked like it would be way to much hassle to get some instant entertainment.

Then I saw Sims 4 was out, I instantly loved the look of the new one and thought the character models looked fantastic, nicely stylised and distinct instead of the usual soulless 3D models that seem to be in all next generation games these days. The CAS system was a delight to use and easy to get some great looking characters with some real individuality.

So then, I started playing and found it instantly easy to get into- then I realised a lot of hours had passed without realising as I wanted to see all the interactions possible. It seemed to me that completing these characters aspirations was great fun to do and not a chore thanks to the way the characters interacted. The 'pretend to be a space monster' interaction warmed my naturally cynical heart instantly.

The days passed, and the characters that I was now getting quite fond of started getting older, and I really did get a sense of wanting to complete their work ambitions for them before they got to old. It is quite an achievement for the programmers that I did feel extremely sad watching my now elderly Sim performing her jokes to a small crowd, desperate to climb to the last level of her entertainment career, only to see the grim reaper sitting in the audience along with her daughter - now also elderly, after only what seemed like a few days ago she was a nipper giggling and waving farts at strangers.

I decided that the old age thing was too depressing, turned it off and started again and decided to start creating a world full of characters I would want to interact with, without the worry of them aging. I really got into modding and really liked making versions of celebs and their costumes. This is the main area I get the most enjoyment out of now to be honest.

So what I suppose I'm trying to sum up amongst all this waffle, is that Sims 4 is a great introduction for people like myself who wouldn't have normally bothered with a full on life sim. Life can be awful enough most of the time without having to deal with that sort of rubbish in a game. I've no problems with anyone wanting that, but it's nice for people like myself who just want a bit of escapism.

After reading the missing features that people want, I see why they are complaining. Although why anyone would want to give themselves the extra grief of looking after a 'toddler' (QI Klaxon goes off) I don't know. If you did a drinking game and had to have a short every time that word was mentioned on this forum, you'd be smashed after the first two pages. But, if you had this option before, I can fully understand why people are banging on about it being a missing element. I would personally be more bothered about the lack of different height sizes than some attention seeking dribbler appearing in your household to stress you out.

So anyway, now I think I have seen, and done everything possible in this version, it would be nice to go to the next stage like all you seasoned simmers. At the moment it does feel like playing a game of Tetris with never ending tasks that don't really give rewards anymore, sim comes home from work- get their tasks done, water the cow plant before it dies (again) invite the stalkers in, sleep etc, hesitantly press save, brace for another crash to desktop, etc. etc.

So that's about it really, long post so sorry about that. I just thought I would add a perspective from someone who thinks it is a great little toy, I do agree it feels like one of those windows store apps with better graphics. and it is a shame if they plan on keeping it as small in scope as this indefinitely just because it isn't making EA their millions.
    It does seem that budget is a key factor in what the devs can do though. Finger's crossed that these delays are all about tweaking and improving things.
    EmberDahl wrote: »
    Well I'll try and add some positives. I really like the game, but fully understand why other more dedicated players are upset. This is the first time I've really bothered with a Sims game- I tried Sims 3 for a bit, but found it all a bit dead eyed and bland in the looks department, and it just looked like a lot of time needed to be invested in it to get the most out of it. I don't get a lot of time to muck about on games these days, so just gave up. I must add that I am an animator by profession, so patience is one of my virtues rather than being a youngster with a short attention span. It's just I thought if I was going to spend my free time on a toy as a relaxing fun way to unwind, then Sims 3 looked like it would be way to much hassle to get some instant entertainment.

Then I saw Sims 4 was out, I instantly loved the look of the new one and thought the character models looked fantastic, nicely stylised and distinct instead of the usual soulless 3D models that seem to be in all next generation games these days. The CAS system was a delight to use and easy to get some great looking characters with some real individuality.

So then, I started playing and found it instantly easy to get into- then I realised a lot of hours had passed without realising as I wanted to see all the interactions possible. It seemed to me that completing these characters aspirations was great fun to do and not a chore thanks to the way the characters interacted. The 'pretend to be a space monster' interaction warmed my naturally cynical heart instantly.

The days passed, and the characters that I was now getting quite fond of started getting older, and I really did get a sense of wanting to complete their work ambitions for them before they got to old. It is quite an achievement for the programmers that I did feel extremely sad watching my now elderly Sim performing her jokes to a small crowd, desperate to climb to the last level of her entertainment career, only to see the grim reaper sitting in the audience along with her daughter - now also elderly, after only what seemed like a few days ago she was a nipper giggling and waving farts at strangers.

I decided that the old age thing was too depressing, turned it off and started again and decided to start creating a world full of characters I would want to interact with, without the worry of them aging. I really got into modding and really liked making versions of celebs and their costumes. This is the main area I get the most enjoyment out of now to be honest.

So what I suppose I'm trying to sum up amongst all this waffle, is that Sims 4 is a great introduction for people like myself who wouldn't have normally bothered with a full on life sim. Life can be awful enough most of the time without having to deal with that sort of rubbish in a game. I've no problems with anyone wanting that, but it's nice for people like myself who just want a bit of escapism.

After reading the missing features that people want, I see why they are complaining. Although why anyone would want to give themselves the extra grief of looking after a 'toddler' (QI Klaxon goes off) I don't know. If you did a drinking game and had to have a short every time that word was mentioned on this forum, you'd be smashed after the first two pages. But, if you had this option before, I can fully understand why people are banging on about it being a missing element. I would personally be more bothered about the lack of different height sizes than some attention seeking dribbler appearing in your household to stress you out.

So anyway, now I think I have seen, and done everything possible in this version, it would be nice to go to the next stage like all you seasoned simmers. At the moment it does feel like playing a game of Tetris with never ending tasks that don't really give rewards anymore, sim comes home from work- get their tasks done, water the cow plant before it dies (again) invite the stalkers in, sleep etc, hesitantly press save, brace for another crash to desktop, etc. etc.

So that's about it really, long post so sorry about that. I just thought I would add a perspective from someone who thinks it is a great little toy, I do agree it feels like one of those windows store apps with better graphics. and it is a shame if they plan on keeping it as small in scope as this indefinitely just because it isn't making EA their millions.
    It does seem that budget is a key factor in what the devs can do though. Finger's crossed that these delays are all about tweaking and improving things.

@EmberDahl Haha I understand but if you really want to understand those of us who love toddlers and wider family play please pop by the thread I have been running since November-I think you would find we have more in common with you than you realise ;)http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801025/ea-silence-on-family-play-and-family-play-fans/p1

I didn't have to make a list... and while I might be disagreeing, I'm not dismissing or saying that someone's opinion is invalid. I'm saying that if a person does not elaborate on their opinion, they might as well not share it because it's not constructive. But it doesn't matter how I try to explain what I said, clearly there's always someone that reads it wrong, oh well!

@domestictipu Like I said before-if you want to truly understand your fellow simmers please check out the feedback section. You could even start here http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801025/ea-silence-on-family-play-and-family-play-fans/p1 because I think you would appreciate some of the people you are addressing a little better if you could understand the heartfelt, articulate reasons why they feel the way they do :)
    I said so to protect you from arguments-I get the feeling you werent looking for one so I stepped in before someone who would really go at you did! :)
  • EmberDahlEmberDahl Posts: 332 Member
    Thanks, I'll give it a read
    Thank you @EmberDahl and welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy it here and continue enjoying the sims :)
  • MandylcdMandylcd Posts: 1,713 Member

@domestictipu Like I said before-if you want to truly understand your fellow simmers please check out the feedback section. You could even start here http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801025/ea-silence-on-family-play-and-family-play-fans/p1 because I think you would appreciate some of the people you are addressing a little better if you could understand the heartfelt, articulate reasons why they feel the way they do :)
    I said so to protect you from arguments-I get the feeling you werent looking for one so I stepped in before someone who would really go at you did! :)

Agreed-many people have taken a great deal of time and effort to articulate their thoughts and feelings about the game. I agree that people might take a look around the forum to find these well thought-out posts and threads. And, thank you, springfairy1, for your very kind comment about my prior post!
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited January 2015

Yes, it is certainly an oddball of a game and my Sims certainly aren't doing much drinking at the moment, but some are definitely carousing!

I have managed to get a balance of seriousness in many of my sims households so the saves I am currently playing aren't that goofy. I almost don't view it as a game, but really a piece of software that can be manipulated, so I get a lot of fun out of bending it to my will.

I do think the game has gaps and lots of issues and I have posted about those in other threads, but as a person that plays a lot of different games, this one has provided me with much more entertainment than many I have spent more money on. Got TS2 UC dirt cheap and I am liking that, but I also like 4 for different reasons. That is really the only point I am trying to make. I wouldn't find it too hard to walk away from the game and play or do something different. I'm not short on distraction opportunities :)

The call for more life stages in the game makes absolute sense to me if the game has aspirations to be a life simulator with any teeth, regardless of whether it is satirical, goofy or serious.

I bought the OR. I think it's OK, not brilliant. If forthcoming content is along those lines, I won't bother. If it deepens the Sims AI and/or adds life stages - I'm in and I'm not talking about autonomous cloud/star gazing which does my head in. I want my Sims actions to be appropriate and contextual within whatever boundaries have been placed on it by the developers. I'll simply do a wait and see.

I can't disagree with the OP, I agree. If I look at the sims 4 in isolation, then I think the Sims 4 is really not bad of a game.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    EmberDahl wrote: »

Why are you in my head? :smile:
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
    Like I said before-if you want to truly understand your fellow simmers please check out the feedback section. You could even start here http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801025/ea-silence-on-family-play-and-family-play-fans/p1 because I think you would appreciate some of the people you are addressing a little better if you could understand the heartfelt, articulate reasons why they feel the way they do :)

I have been eyeing that thread, thank you! :) I love to read feedback, no matter if you love or hate the game. But then there's the few that really have nothing more to say other than to throw a poopy nonconstructive comment to put others down. While I realize stating my frustration was probably the worst approach, I can't help to notice I'm starting to avoid reading threads all together. They seem to be everywhere at the moment, and it's.. well, frustrating!
    wedding%2Bhobo.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

While it may be nice to back up an opinion, they really do not have to for it is not mandatory that they do so. Sure, you can believe their opinion is baseless if they do not back it up but it is still an opinion.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top