Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Moonandsixpens' builds _ New *the novelist's residence*

moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
edited July 2015 in The Sims 3 Builders
List of builds:

1. Name: Detective's Swamp House
Type: Residential/Cottage/Vintage?/Shabby?
Lot size: 34x34

2. Name: Ascending House
Type: Residential/Contemporary/Retro/Coastal
Lot size: 20x30

3. Name: Above Ground House
Type: Residential/Contemporary/Cabin

4. Name: Artist's Studio House
Type: Residential/Contemporary/Minimalist

5. Name: Story of Their Lives House
Type: Residential/Contemporary/Natural/Eclectic
Lot size: 30x30

6. Name: Dr. Mason Bauers' Seaside Mansion (wip that probably will never be finished...)
Type: Residential/Mansion/Contemporary/Rustic/Tex Murphy Tesla Effect Game Conversion

7. Name: Square of Five Art Gallery
Type: Community/Contemporary
Lot size: 25X50

8. Name: Capital M
Type: Residential/Industrial/Apartment
Lot size: 40x40

9. Woodly Eco Home
Type: Residential/Wood/Modern/Eco
Lot size: 40x40

10. Stacked House
Type: Residential/Cement/Modern/Monochrome/Apartment
Download: thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8662207

11. Simple BW House
Type: Residential/Modern/Nautical
Lot size: 20x20
Download: thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8670107

12. The Novelist's Residence
Type: Residential/Monochrome/Gothic Chic/Wood/Modern/Luxurious
Lot size: 40x30
Download: thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8701188

I am putting the link to downloads of some of my houses in case anyone is interested. Thank you for downloading and comments and pictures are welcomed (but no pressure, you can download, or not; comment, or not. :wink: ). Let me know if there is anything wrong with the houses (missing objects etc.)

Please don't re-upload (please credit me if you made major modifications and really want to upload the new one as your own). You can put it in your world or your story and make modifications. If you are sharing the world or the story please credit me. You can also send me the link if you want, I'd be happy to read/see pictures of your creations/stories :smiley:

Links:
1. John's house (Above Ground House family version): thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8572747

2. Another house I created (Ascending House). thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8572748
* Details are on another thread:
forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/803551/what-does-your-sims-home-look-like/p3
forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/803551/what-does-your-sims-home-look-like/p5

3. Story of their lives house

tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

Post edited by moonandsixpens on

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    The house that you have built for John is very nice! :) Very nice exterior design of the home. The furnishing of the home is very nice. Very nice kitchen and dining room ! It looks a very nice light filled area for sims to enjoy eating their meals at the dining table or cooking in the kitchen area with the sunshine coming in onto them. Nice texture that you have used for the kitchen counters and dining seats. The flowers on the dining table are nice for sims to see whilst dining. It looks nice that you have used the circular window in the bathroom. John will like looking out through the window at the outdoors views whilst bathing in the triangular bath. It looks very nice how you have done the bedside tables in the bedroom where you have placed the trophies and other items.It looks nice how you have bedhead windows for sunlight to come in through the windows onto the bed in the early mornings. Very nice rooftop garden area on the top of the garage! Sims will enjoy cooking on the bbq or grill there, and eating their meals at the table in the outdoors air. Nice tea table area for sims to enjoy having a cup of tea whilst sitting in the sunshine. The living room is very nice! It looks nice how you have a study desk nook behind the sofa for sims to enjoy sitting at and having a read or use the computer. Nice sofa sitting area for sims to enjoy resting on the seat watching tv. It looks great how you have placed the bookcases in the corners of the tv alcove. The pink roses are a nice touch on the table beside the tv. The pink looks nice with the black colour of the tables.
    It looks very nice how you have placed the windows through the build. It looks a nice light filled home for sims to enjoy the sunshine coming in when indoors, and they will enjoy looking out through the windows at the outdoors views.It is a very nice home :)
  • NesoiancitizenNesoiancitizen Posts: 4,344 Member
    I love the house, very unique and modern. :D *thumps up*
    JkN3z9U.gif
    Find me at Sims3.com. Username: Nesoiancitizen
    I'm also on Duolingo as carlaquest
  • moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    The house that you have built for John is very nice! :) Very nice exterior design of the home. The furnishing of the home is very nice. Very nice kitchen and dining room ! It looks a very nice light filled area for sims to enjoy eating their meals at the dining table or cooking in the kitchen area with the sunshine coming in onto them. Nice texture that you have used for the kitchen counters and dining seats. The flowers on the dining table are nice for sims to see whilst dining. It looks nice that you have used the circular window in the bathroom. John will like looking out through the window at the outdoors views whilst bathing in the triangular bath. It looks very nice how you have done the bedside tables in the bedroom where you have placed the trophies and other items.It looks nice how you have bedhead windows for sunlight to come in through the windows onto the bed in the early mornings. Very nice rooftop garden area on the top of the garage! Sims will enjoy cooking on the bbq or grill there, and eating their meals at the table in the outdoors air. Nice tea table area for sims to enjoy having a cup of tea whilst sitting in the sunshine. The living room is very nice! It looks nice how you have a study desk nook behind the sofa for sims to enjoy sitting at and having a read or use the computer. Nice sofa sitting area for sims to enjoy resting on the seat watching tv. It looks great how you have placed the bookcases in the corners of the tv alcove. The pink roses are a nice touch on the table beside the tv. The pink looks nice with the black colour of the tables.
    It looks very nice how you have placed the windows through the build. It looks a nice light filled home for sims to enjoy the sunshine coming in when indoors, and they will enjoy looking out through the windows at the outdoors views.It is a very nice home :)

Wow, it's really nice to receive so many nices :D I am glad you like it!
    I love the house, very unique and modern. :D *thumps up*
    Thank you! :D

edited July 2015
    I am trying to combine building and playing hence I am going to build at least one house for each generation of my legacy family. I don't play by the challenge rules but rotate to play the family members because in general I am a control freak like my sim kids and want to help to get their life together.

The first generation is a witch detective (not that she uses witchcraft to solve cases ;) ) and lived a solitary life for a very long time. She grew up in the early twentieth century and lived in the Roaring Heights. But I got bored a lot of things happened and she decided to start a new life by the swamps in Twinbrook. She's filthy rich but too cool for the nice sub-urban neighbourhoods. I have introduced her house in another discussion, 'what does your sims' home look like?'. But I guess I put it in the wrong forum in sims3 general discussion so I moved it here in this forum. (Of course if I am wrong again I can move it back but that discussion seems pretty much abandoned lol) Anyway if you are interested you can take a look at the house, it's on the first page. I am not going to double post it here.

The first gen adopted two kids, a boy and a girl. The brother is a vampire and the sister is human but has an imaginary friend. My vampire kid received his imaginary friend pretty late because I forgot to check the mail. He would rather read a book than to play with the doll. On the other hand the sister's doll grew up with her and recently turned human. It turned out the doll's gender is female and her traits are neurotic, good sense of humour, sailor, and unstable :s . No wonder she freaked out a lot when she was still a doll.

The brother grew up, became a sportsman, and moved out to a house I built for him. The house stands behind the school on the hills. Perfect to monitor your sim kid school performance if your adult sims are that kind of parents :wink:
    I built it in a hurry so the details are not competed but I'll refine it to fit the brother's living. (He's name is John and his sister is Jane by the way.)
    An overview. I tried to use the green metal roof top for the house but couldn't get its slope in the right direction so I had to use the constrainfloorelevation cheat to build one myself. Such a pain in the ***...
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpgscreenshot_original.jpg

As you can see I haven't figured out what to do with the space under the house yet. I don't want to make it a living space because with all the pillars it feels rather restricted. And John, despite being a night-owl vampire, is athletic, virtuoso and good, not at all the lurking-in-the-basement-hating-the-sunlight type. And a swimming pool so close to the main road just seems wrong... Maybe I'll just leave it as it is and let the kids play under the deck. :D

Follow the stairs to the living deck. There is a telescope but I am not sure if it's appropriate since it's facing the direction of the school lol.
    screenshot_original.jpg

On top of the garage is a garden with a tea set and outdoor grilling equipments. I am going to have John grow plasma fruits on it.
    screenshot_original.jpg

The living room is separate from the kitchen and the dinning room. they are linked by a short, rhetorical hallway. Sims would rather exit the kitchen to the open space and enter the living room through the rose bushes.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

It's really difficult to take photos of the kitchen and dinning room because of the structure of the house. What really bugs me is that in sims3 the light from the upper floor cannot shine through the lower one, even when there is no floor. Although in really life the kitchen would be quite airy and pleasant to cook in. :smile: By the way I haven't finished with the decorative details yet. Perhaps a carpet for the dinning table will be good?
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

The living room is quite spacious as well. My houses are usually quite simple. I love all the CCs but I don't want to overload my computer so I don't have a wide variety of decorations and different types of tables and shelves. I am still learning to arrange furnitures in creative ways and combinations of colours and pattern design for floors and walls, as well as special architectural structures to make up for that.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

There is a back door towards a tiny yard where John can enjoy a good *moon* bath or do laundries.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

There is a horse racing picture as a gift from John's mom in the living room toilet since John is athletic and his mom loves riding a horse. Helps the bowel movement heh?
    screenshot_original.jpg

Up through the spiral stairs is the bedroom, where John proudly displays his souvenirs of achievements he made when he was a child and teenager. In the second picture the door on the left leads to the bathroom, the door on the right leads to the stairs. I know the jewellery hanger doesn't make much sense but let's pretend those are the watches John collected hanging there. :p Wake up and John will see the school at first sight, only because the noisy kids never let him sleep past nine reminding much of his vibrant youth. Perhaps that's why he decides to go to the university? (I granted that wish but I am not feeling like to play that town... Sorry John! Let's wait till your sister becomes a young adult and you can go together!)
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

The bathroom features a special circle window. John put his family photo on the bathtub which is kind of weird but I don't have a better substitution of desk top tiny painting :# John has never got a pet before and he never expressed fondness for cats. The picture is only there because I got lazy and spotted it and only put it there for the right size :s Will change that later, when john has money to concern about arts because right now he's broke. Sims3 cruelly does that to whoever moves out of the family to a new house.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

After 4 sim days Jane will grow up to a young adult. I am going to build her a new house in the foreseeable future depending on my procrastination situation :smiley: I am not sure what to do with her imaginary friends because I had Jane asked her and she said she's straight. I guess I'll just let them become roommates and give her the freedom to marry whoever she wants (as long as her love interest is not John lol). She's neurotic and unstable. I never use those traits on my sims because I want my sims to be happy and sane. It will be fun to play with a sim with these traits for once ;) I'll try to get her a middle age crisis LTR to get ride of the unstable trait eventually, though. Otherwise (I heard that) she'll lose all her personality other than this trait itself.

Thank you for reading! I know it's way to long due to my constant babbling :p

Something funny happened in my game. The repoman showed up because John couldn't afford the bills. And guess what, he took the jewellery hanger! It is this a sign that it's not suppose to be there? lol I replaced it with the family photo in the bathroom and put John's prom photo in the bathroom. Everything makes more sense now :smiley:
    screenshot_original.jpg

edited January 2015
    Now that both John and Jane graduated from the university, it's time for Jane to move out. She now lives next to the Column Cottage house on Savannah Lane with her imaginary friend Riley. Jane is a self-employed painter and has the virtuoso, artistic, genius, easily impressed, helplessly romantic and irresistible traits. Therefore I built her a 30x20 house with a open basement studio. However the sun cannot shine through the basement even it's "opened". I built a foundation and raised the ground instead. The house is lacking of decoration because I want to decorate it with Jane's painting. Therefore I'll improve the interior and probably the exterior when playing the game later.

First of all general pictures:
    screenshot_original.jpg

I have always wanted to build an open basement house and this design seems perfect for an artist with her own studio.

screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

I am glad that we have the half wall to increase the layers of the house, which is kind of essential for modern lots. Hopefully I have add some complexity and tranquil style into the building by subtly dividing the space :smiley:
    screenshot_original.jpg

Now the "basement":
    I don't have more spaces to place cars so Jane is going to have to ride a bike. (Even though she can always put the car in her pocket but now she's broke anyway :wink: ) Outside the studio she can relax and enjoy some sunshine.
    screenshot_original.jpg

I am thinking about planting some produce in vine shape in front of the ivy wall. Inside the studio several walls are basically blank. I'll post more pictures when Jane has painted enough so that I can properly hang them up.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

I cheated with the entrance. The panda is not sculpted by Jane but an added buydebug object. I'll replace it when Jane has the ability to sculpt one.
    screenshot_original.jpg

The living room is very under decorated and I am not even sure about the furniture arrangements. I'll improve it when I have more ideas. On the other hand I am pretty happy with the two story window. Must be very relaxing sitting there watching the autumn leaves falling.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

The dinning room + kitchen. I like how the window is framing the view. Gotta love this Bauhaus set, or BahHaus, as the sims3 store puts it.
    screenshot_original.jpg

The arrangements of the two bedrooms are really lacking as well. Although there are one or tow details that I am pretty satisfied with. There is a small hill behind the house with plenty of trees, making the view very comforting.
    screenshot_original.jpg

A full window replaces the mirror. Just a small detail to lighten the mood. When Jane finds herself too stir-crazy in the mirror after days of work in the studio, well she can enjoy the street view instead ;)
    screenshot_original.jpg

And now the floor plan:
    Basement -> fisrt floor -> second floor -> flat roof top
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

Since both John and Jane are going to live a long young-adult-hood before they have kids, I'll have enough time to refine both houses. Thank you for reading and happy simming! :smiley:

edited January 2015
    The Artist Studio House for Jane is very nice! :) Very nice exterior design of the home! The open basement is very nice! It looks nice how you have placed the windows in the build. Sims will enjoy looking out through the windows at the outside views. It looks great that you have used a window instead of a mirror in the bathroom. The layout of the levels of the home looks nice. The bonsai panda beside the front door looks nice. The white colour of the exterior looks nice, and it looks very nice how you have used the hedge fencing in the build! The stairs look nice how you have placed them. The glass tikes skylights look nice.
    It is a nice home :)
    rosemow wrote: »
    The Artist Studio House for Jane is very nice! :) Very nice exterior design of the home! The open basement is very nice! It looks nice how you have placed the windows in the build. Sims will enjoy looking out through the windows at the outside views. It looks great that you have used a window instead of a mirror in the bathroom. The layout of the levels of the home looks nice. The bonsai panda beside the front door looks nice. The white colour of the exterior looks nice, and it looks very nice how you have used the hedge fencing in the build! The stairs look nice how you have placed them. The glass tikes skylights look nice.
    It is a nice home :)

Thank you! I am very encouraged :)

• MeaganJoMeaganJo Posts: 4,343 Member
    Great homes moonandsixpens, I like the idea of building a new one per generation. I myself have never truly played a legacy although I am thinking about it to give myself a break from building... Yeah right, me not build!?
    MeaganJo wrote: »
    Great homes moonandsixpens, I like the idea of building a new one per generation. I myself have never truly played a legacy although I am thinking about it to give myself a break from building... Yeah right, me not build!?

Exactly! I will be utterly bored if I am not building houses when playing sims3. In fact I am not only building one house per generation, but one house per offspring! :D but I guess I will have to change that since I currently have two sim kids and plan to let both of them to have two kids each. Soon the number of houses that I need to build will explode!

HAhaha the number will indeed explode and your worlds would be expanding hehe!
    HAhaha the number will indeed explode and your worlds would be expanding hehe!

I normally only look for sims within the town so that two kids per family is at about replacement level and I have them to have kids later and slower :smiley: I'll probably end up rebuild every house in town though. Quite a challenge!

That indeed is quite the challenge. I myself want to remake a world similar to La Simhara to rebuild.
    That indeed is quite the challenge. I myself want to remake a world similar to La Simhara to rebuild.

Sounds exciting! Looking forward to your work! :D

Yeah we shall see if I ever get around to that, first I need the perfect world for my vision. I've been there and done that with CAW and well I don't have what it takes to create a world, so I figure tear another one down and add friends and my own stuff.
    Yeah we shall see if I ever get around to that, first I need the perfect world for my vision. I've been there and done that with CAW and well I don't have what it takes to create a world, so I figure tear another one down and add friends and my own stuff.

I also tried to find a city map that fits my vision without any luck. Ended up redesigning Aurora Skies. I total annihilated the whole population to get everyone out of my way. Then I got bored because there was no sim to appreciate my creation lol. That's why now I am combining play and build.

Haha I did that with Monte Vista once. Now I have a builder world but forgot which one it was since I am bad and never use it.
  • GirklGirkl Posts: 254 Member
    Two gorgeous houses plus a really interesting idea of combining legacy play with building (the only problem there for me is that I get caught up in the build and have to remind myself to stop fiddling with details and get on with playing,I think it might prove too tempting a distraction!). Love the stylish modern look to both homes although the first is probably my favourite,purely because I personally am always drawn to woods (liking the pillared 'raised-up' look too). Anyway,both look stylish and expensive *thumbs up*
    "It's better to be over the hill than under it"
    Girkl wrote: »
    Two gorgeous houses plus a really interesting idea of combining legacy play with building (the only problem there for me is that I get caught up in the build and have to remind myself to stop fiddling with details and get on with playing,I think it might prove too tempting a distraction!). Love the stylish modern look to both homes although the first is probably my favourite,purely because I personally am always drawn to woods (liking the pillared 'raised-up' look too). Anyway,both look stylish and expensive *thumbs up*

Thank you for the comment! Glad you like them :D
    I found the appeal of playing only after I had equipped the game with loads of mods :D
    I like woods too! They are already rich in texture, and look good in almost any occasion!

The second home is lacking in detail indeed. I am not particularly satisfied with it. I yet to find a way to convey simplicity and artistic sense through out the house. Too bad the lights and shadows are not as nuance and delicate as they are in real life. From many picture of modern architecture I found them used the lights and shadows in brilliant ways. Shapes and layers are also hard to command in sims3. The solutions I can think of are better exterior and better furnitures. I can hardly do better furniture without CC, stuff in sims3 are just too regular... I guess I'll do more with the exterior then :'(

Some pictures of the houses at night :D
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

The pictures of the houses at night are very nice! :) The starry skies create a very nice background setting to the home. The moon in the sky in the last picture looks very nice!
    Added details to the lobby and redesigned the living room. Does it look better?

The stairs:
    screenshot_original.jpg

The dinning room: I added a window on the wall connecting the dinning room and the living room. Sims are able to see the street while eating or cooking. I wanted to let the rooms "flow" into each other so that the house looks more spacious. I should probably add the statue back to the dinning room corner though, since it loos a bit too empty.
    screenshot_original.jpg

Living room rearranged and recoloured:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

Somehow I still feel that I haven't got the house right :\ I'll keep trying!

Your changes to the home look very nice! :) The plants look very nice how you have placed them at the different levels of shelves on the lobby wall, and the combination of red and white colours on the stairs gives a great look to the entrance area for sims to see as they enter the home. The addition of the window in the dining room looks great. It adds extra light to the room and it is a nice connection between the living and dining areas. Your redesigned living room is nice! The red colour of the accent wall gives a nice look. The bamboo tree plants adds a nice natural touch to the room. Sims will enjoy sitting resting on the curved sofas, watching tv, listening to music from the stereo and reading. It looks nice how you have angled the tv and created a tv corner nook, and the corner of bookcases looks great. Nice rocking chair corner reading nook.
    The rooms look great :)
    edited February 2015
    IBD... Jane wanted to have a kid with her husband one day before she turned elderly. I granted her wish because I like her and want her to be happy. But instead of one baby, she had three! All girls! I knew I shouldn't had had her listen to the kids music, and I probably should have stopped her husband from giving her massages autonomously... Now I have to build the family a bigger house to accommodate so many babies :s

screenshot_original.jpg

I built on a 30x30 lot. I really like the structure of the house but I forgot to take pictures so I'll probably post some tomorrow. I haven't do much about the interior yet. Partially because jane's household went broke just to buy this house but most importantly, I am intimidated by the task of raising three babies and one teenager! (Even though my sim's first born, the family oriented genius son, Norman, is a great kid, doing an excellent job in school and helping out the housework all the time.) How the heck am I supposed to deal with so many sims and the same time? I don't want to send the babies to be raised by their filthy rich grandmother because I am very curious how the story of this family will play out. Nor do I want to omit my sim son, John, because I like him too and he has an adorable daughter with his husband, and I want the two families to bond. I am so overwhelmed by all these things to manipulate... Playing god is hard lol.

Anyways, I already have some ideas about the refurbishment of the new house. I'll let Jane ask her mother for money to do the job :p

edited February 2015
    Now some pictures for Jane's new home, "story of their lives".

I have only created the basic structure. I tried putting the stairs outside which I think is unpractical in real life because you don't want to walk the stairs when it's raining/snowing heavily, or when there is a zombie invasion then you won't be able to defend your house from the main entrance... But I digressed.

I want the house to be open and liberating, that all the 6 sims won't feel cramped on this 30x30 lot. So I am giving them large windows and a large space extending from the living room, where the ceiling is two-story high. The observatory is pretty isolated from the main house as well, so that a sim can have a little "me time".

I forgot to add half walls to surround the second floor but it doesn't seem very obvious from the pictures, sorry about that :p

Some overview:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

I am very happy about those stairs I build because in real life, the case of a parts of stairs connecting two floors are very common. Sims 3 game only provide straight forward stairs with no breaks in the middle, if you know what I mean... Building molecule stairs outside the house also avoids problems such as missing ceiling, non-universal wall height vs stairs can't be built by the wall dilemma, etc., if you know what I mean lol.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

A small garden behind the dinning room. Hopefully tranquil enough for the parents who are about to enter their elder-hood!
    screenshot_original.jpg

The large "box" that allows view of the streets but also blocks and therefore secures the space:
    screenshot_original.jpg

edited February 2015
    The design structure of the build looks great! :) It looks very nice how you have done the stairs!
    Enjoy working on the home. :)