Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inquisitr-"Did Maxis and EA Games just admit the game is a flop? "

Comments

• HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    colton147 wrote: »
    The Sims 4 is not a flop. It will be one of the best Sims games ever made when expansions, stuff packs, and game packs start rolling out like a stampede of flying buffaloes wielding flaming chainsaws and spiked whips.

I've had a hard time determining if this is sarcasm or not.

Anyways, I hope that Sims 4 doesn't just belly-up on us and die. I would be very, very sad. The sims all look amazing and I want to see more with them. Maxis and EA just need to get their act together. Like, adding toddlers and getting rid of those loading screens.

A massive overhaul of Sims 4 would fix it. It would be costly but in the end, I'm sure they would actually make a profit. Sims 4 is just being handled... poorly. I still remain optimistic, however.

What would seal the deal for me is if they add toddlers and remove the loading screen required to go to my neighbor's house. I mean, this is 2014! Just... just don't end Sims 4 yet. I'll cry.
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Clk1143 wrote: »
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    Oh well bring on TS5.

If the Sims 4 isn't successful, then there won't be a Sims 5... Ever.

And you can say bye to all of Maxis, because they would be shut down and lose all their jobs - and the forum will be shut down.

That's what Grant(?) said to put fear into Simmers in hopes that they would buy The Sims 4. So far, that tactic hasn't worked. I agree with the majority of comments in this thread.

I don't think that was really a scare tactic, just grant being direct. If sims 4 does fail and counts as a huge money loss for EA there may not be a sims 5. That is a possibility.

No, it really isn't. Sims is too much of a cash cow. You don't throw out an entire franchise because a game does poorly. It's too much work building a successful franchise to give it up. They may replace some people, but Sims is just far too profitable.

Hopefully they do some better research. Given how BW (another EA division now) made some design decisions based on very faulty data (telemetry which didn't take some important bugs into account), I'm not sure how good their market analysis team really is.

A cash cow can become a not a cash cow though, and that is when many big game companies drop the game. If sims 4 became truly a flop, and gave negative money EA probably would seriously consider not making another sims game.

Perhaps, but there's a huge investment in the series as it is. Again, it happened with the Dragon Age series. The first was a massive success, the second a flop. Yet they made a third, but with a larger budget and more time allotted. And DA is even more niche than Sims. It's more likely that the game will make a profit, but not enough of one to justify years of DLC, and they'll move onto another and hopefully will try to recapture the market they lost.

It is something I hope doesn't happen, but unfortunately it is possible. I've been apart of games where the series was cut short. Space Quest 7 comes to mind, it was suppose to be developed, but then Sierra decided not to. It's always a disappointing thing when it does happen.
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Oh well bring on TS5.

And you can say bye to all of Maxis, because they would be shut down and lose all their jobs - and the forum will be shut down.

If this is the best they have to offer, why wait?
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Crunchie885Crunchie885 Posts: 529 Member
    Oh well bring on TS5.

If the sims 4 isn't successful then another company will be able to take maxis place.
    @colton147 I will say this that if sims 4 doesn't continue and the entire sims series does not continue. Many of the staff working on the sim series will probably be simply relocated within the company since EA makes many games, and has many different teams.
  • colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    If the sims 4 isn't successful then another company will be able to take maxis place.

Technically, EA would still own the rights to the Sims - I have a feeling they wouldn't sell the Sims rights. XD
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,402 Member
    If it takes years for bears to be made then does that mean it took years for horses in TS3 oh my lawd.

I could imagine that it is easier and cheaper for the devs to work with horses than with bears. They won't kill and eat you.

The bears don't have to kill you... plus horses had alot of animations too. You had to train them. They had little horsie tricks and spawned all over town even if you were in bridgeport.

Bears are the most dangerous and deadly mammals in the world. What should a real bear do in Granite Falls? Kill the hermit? Why not lions in Oasis Springs? Sometimes the wishes of the simming community are ... crazy.
    @colton147 I will say this that if sims 4 doesn't continue and the entire sims series does not continue. Many of the staff working on the sim series will probably be simply relocated within the company since EA makes many games, and has many different teams.

I forgot EA has different departments. :o

Technically, EA would still own the rights to the Sims - I have a feeling they wouldn't sell the Sims rights. XD

They can keep their rights... and their flop game too.

Another company will just have to make an actually simulation game that slays TS4 in so many ways that EA can't even make a claim against then >:)
    Oh well bring on TS5.

That's what Grant(?) said to put fear into Simmers in hopes that they would buy The Sims 4. So far, that tactic hasn't worked. I agree with the majority of comments in this thread.

I don't think that was really a scare tactic, just grant being direct. If sims 4 does fail and counts as a huge money loss for EA there may not be a sims 5. That is a possibility.

No, it really isn't. Sims is too much of a cash cow. You don't throw out an entire franchise because a game does poorly. It's too much work building a successful franchise to give it up. They may replace some people, but Sims is just far too profitable.

Hopefully they do some better research. Given how BW (another EA division now) made some design decisions based on very faulty data (telemetry which didn't take some important bugs into account), I'm not sure how good their market analysis team really is.

A cash cow can become a not a cash cow though, and that is when many big game companies drop the game. If sims 4 became truly a flop, and gave negative money EA probably would seriously consider not making another sims game.

Perhaps, but there's a huge investment in the series as it is. Again, it happened with the Dragon Age series. The first was a massive success, the second a flop. Yet they made a third, but with a larger budget and more time allotted. And DA is even more niche than Sims. It's more likely that the game will make a profit, but not enough of one to justify years of DLC, and they'll move onto another and hopefully will try to recapture the market they lost.

It is something I hope doesn't happen, but unfortunately it is possible. I've been apart of games where the series was cut short. Space Quest 7 comes to mind, it was suppose to be developed, but then Sierra decided not to. It's always a disappointing thing when it does happen.

I would be sad to see the franchise die, that's true. But I won't support a game that I consider unplayable just so they'll keep pumping out subpar things.

Oh of course, only buy a game you enjoy. I agree with you on that. :smiley:
    I do enjoy sims 4 myself, but I can understand why others may not. With sims 3 I never was in love with it, I liked it enough to play it for many years but I also didn't buy all the expansion packs like I did with sims 2 (that I did really love).

Another company will just have to make an actually simulation game that slays TS4 in so many ways that EA can't even make a claim against then >:)

They would not be able to use Simlish or any other language like it.

They would probably have to use real language like English for example. That would become boring and repetitive after awhile.
  • CowPlantForHireCowPlantForHire Posts: 6,002 Member

The only problem with that is EA would sue the behinds off any studio that attempts to make a life simulator. I really wish that The Sims series had a competitor, though. :cry:
    tumblr_msl1pmMPdd1sho68to1_400.gif
  • sirpadfoot42sirpadfoot42 Posts: 40 Member
    Edit: In case anyone cares, there's a character in Dragon Age Origins named Leliana. She could be romanced. BW was amazed that she had a 95% romance rate and brought her back. The problem? Leliana had two bugs attached to her. One where in a certain conversation, the romance turned on due to a flag being misplaced. The other? In what sometimes could be the first time the protagonist heard they were involved romantically with Leliana, the breakup in that conversation was missing the flag to actually break the romance off.

In fact, people always talked about the Leliana ninjamance and her creepy stalker tendancies. While I'm sure she was a popular character, she wasn't nearly as popular as the telemetry indicated. Yet design and story decisions were made based on this data.

And at least some people at BW were aware of this, but they were lower on the totem pole.

GAWD she annoyed me so much. The one time I played through Origins with my own Rogue class I didn't even bother bringing her into my party. She was SO. CREEPY! And honestly the most useless of my group, too.
    /off subject.
    Valar Morghulis.
    gif345_zpshthqe2cw.gif

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    If it takes years for bears to be made then does that mean it took years for horses in TS3 oh my lawd.

I could imagine that it is easier and cheaper for the devs to work with horses than with bears. They won't kill and eat you.

The bears don't have to kill you... plus horses had alot of animations too. You had to train them. They had little horsie tricks and spawned all over town even if you were in bridgeport.

Bears are the most dangerous and deadly mammals in the world. What should a real bear do in Granite Falls? Kill the hermit? Why not lions in Oasis Springs? Sometimes the wishes of the simming community are ... crazy.

Stuff that kills Sims without me having to feel like a serial killer, yes please.

Not sure how many would agree with me, but I would have liked to see a bear eat the hermit, or even better eat the Sim in the bear costume - ''appen with a bit of maulin' beforehand :)
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I don't bear any ill will towards anyone in particular at EA. Am I angry? Yes. I'm tired of them being made aware of the true issues and dismissing them. But in my heart I still love. That's why I'm here-and why many of us are here. That's been the case since day one.

The whole situation is rescuable. They made some massive mistakes and they snowballed by refusing to acknowledge them. I get it-it's very hard to admit mistakes but you know what? They are very lucky they have the customers they do-we are kind and compassionate and want to love the sims. It's a gift, they just need to get on and take it!
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    edited January 2015

They would not be able to use Simlish or any other language like it.

They would probably have to use real language like English for example. That would become boring and repetitive after awhile.
    they can't use simlish but they can make they own language, a good exemple is wow, each race have your own language, we have the general common/orc and racial languages, where when you write for others peoples will be a completly strange idome like simlish but instea of speak is writing, theyr just need to dub it and still be they own language no cpyright issues here, could have issues if the language use too much "alike" words.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

I forgot EA has different departments. :o

Knock yourself out:

http://investor.ea.com/financials.cfm
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Oh well bring on TS5.

I would be sad to see the franchise die, that's true. But I won't support a game that I consider unplayable just so they'll keep pumping out subpar things.

Oh of course, only buy a game you enjoy. I agree with you on that. :smiley:
    I do enjoy sims 4 myself, but I can understand why others may not. With sims 3 I never was in love with it, I liked it enough to play it for many years but I also didn't buy all the expansion packs like I did with sims 2 (that I did really love).

In my case, it's not a matter of not enjoying. I had fun with the game, but on older saves, the loading screens start to get too long. I tried on two different systems, and in both of them, loading screens started lasting around a minute once I was at the third generation.

I have annoyances with the game, of course, especially with the lack of families being acknowledged, the poor implementation of multitasking (which is in most cases not real multitasking but interactions being looped where only one is being done at a time), the lack of CASt. But it was the loading screens that made the game unplayable.

Until they're fixed, I'm not going to buy more content which will make them even worse. Of course, I could just scrap my games and go back to having fast loading screens, but the same thing will happen as that save gets older. If there's going to be a loading screen to go to every lot, those loading screens need to be completely unobtrusive.

• Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited January 2015
    Oh well bring on TS5.

With the sims? Nope. If EA decides they won't make another, that's it. They won't sell it, EA as a company would have to fall apart first (which doesn't seem likely at the moment). Another company making something similar? There isn't anything stopping them now and no one is doing it. Just doesn't seem likely. It's too niche a genre for any of the other AAA studios to try it and most of them are no different than EA anyway.

34336_s.gif
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Years of work for a bear?! I never profess to be an expert on anything to do with development but isn't that a little over the top? Or is it just too hard for EA in particular?

LOL. Years of work to do a bear? That's a pathetic response.

wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
    edited January 2015

The only problem with that is EA would sue the behinds off any studio that attempts to make a life simulator. I really wish that The Sims series had a competitor, though. :cry:

Don't worry that time is coming and it will upon us one day.

rhonj-car-praying.gif
  • CowPlantForHireCowPlantForHire Posts: 6,002 Member

Don't worry that time is coming and it will upon us one day.

rhonj-car-praying.gif

#PrayForABetterTheSims5 #EndTheSims4 #SaveOurSouls

I'm not good with these prayer tags...
    tumblr_msl1pmMPdd1sho68to1_400.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top