Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Legacy Writing Tips! *Come on in! We have cookies!*

Comments

• SimpLyAngeLicSimpLyAngeLic Posts: 153 Member
    Hi guys!

I'm a newbie to the legacy/story telling type of play, but I've been playing for a long time. I've been reading all kinds of different stories and lately have been feeling the push to write some of my own. I stumbled across this thread the other night and you've all given some great tips ... that lighting mod .. oh man, beautiful! Thanks for that. It seems that I have at least 3 different ideas for things rolling around in my head. I'm finding myself at a loss as to where to begin. I have never really played a family for long ... I always end up getting bored and starting a new family. Should I see how long I can go before I begin trying to write a story of any kind, or do you guys think that maybe attempting to write would help me continue to play through. Suggestions would be wonderful.

Also ... I believe the title said something about cookies?! :smiley:
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    Oh okay, when I downloaded thing from NRaas, I basically just downloaded what I thought looked interesting. I'm not sure if I have Mastercontroller. So would I need to download just the Mastercontroller or would I need to download something else? cause I can't find the mastercontroller cheats module on the NRaas website.
    Sometimes I think I'm technically illiterate...

Nah, I have issues too! Oh, wait, maybe I'm technically illiterate, too. :o

You need both Mastercontroller and the Cheats. Otherwise the cheats won't work. I LOVE MC and use it all the time. I took out story progression because it bogged the game down too much.
    EmmaBarbie wrote: »
    I still envy you all for writing good legacies xD I tried twice but I kept forgetting my plot :#
    I also agree about reviving this thread.
    *poofs back into lurker mode*

I had to write the whole story out FIRST. I have a terrible memory and as I go through the story, I still have to remember main points. In fact, I probably need to write down my main thoughts or things in a notebook. Someone even suggested, always have a notebook handy in case the character speaks to you or you have an idea. I use my ipad, so that works for me.
    Hi guys!

I'm a newbie to the legacy/story telling type of play, but I've been playing for a long time. I've been reading all kinds of different stories and lately have been feeling the push to write some of my own. I stumbled across this thread the other night and you've all given some great tips ... that lighting mod .. oh man, beautiful! Thanks for that. It seems that I have at least 3 different ideas for things rolling around in my head. I'm finding myself at a loss as to where to begin. I have never really played a family for long ... I always end up getting bored and starting a new family. Should I see how long I can go before I begin trying to write a story of any kind, or do you guys think that maybe attempting to write would help me continue to play through. Suggestions would be wonderful.

Lighting Mods <3

You could write your story in a word doc and add pics for a bit to see how you like it. Honestly, I just jumped into it. I was grateful to a few of the vets around here who read it and encouraged me.

Do you know what kind of legacy or story you want to do yet? I didn't trust myself to write well in the beginning, which is why I started the wishacy. Also, I also get bored, but knowing others were depending on me to put out another chapter kept me going. (I hate letting people down.)

I'm going to start another kind of story soon. I'll keep writing my current story. It'll be a commentative type. I'll play Sims 4 (have contest to find sim I'll follow) and then comment about the story, the sim, surroundings, etc along the way. The sims who are the runner-ups will be in my neighborhood. So, my winner will get to interact with them.

Honestly, it's what you're comfortable doing. I will say, if you do write in word for a bit, give yourself a time frame. I'll do it for one month, then decide. Otherwise, you may never want to publish it.

Cookies....mmmmmm

tumblr_mr4d4y0XMB1snj781o1_500.gif
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
  • MrsOogieBoogieMrsOogieBoogie Posts: 844 Member
    Wow, I haven't been to this thread in forever :O Since I'm in the forums today, I might as well pop in here, too, and I agree that reviving it is a good idea. :D
    How often do you guys move your sims in your legacies? Like to different worlds or do you use the same world for the entire legacy?
    I try to keep things different and move each generation to a different town every time. I started my first (and current) legacy back in 2013 so back then I only had barely a handful of towns, but the more expansions I got and such made me want to keep moving. Gen 1 and 2 are in Bridgeport, but I moved Gen 3 to Lucky palms, and Gen 4 is currently in Hidden Springs. I think it just makes the legacy seem more interesting and new when you change it up, especially if your generations last a long time. I get tired being in the same town over and over again and I always look forward to switching it up next generation.
    I still envy you all for writing good legacies xD I tried twice but I kept forgetting my plot :#
    LOL I never really have a plot to begin with, anyways. I usually just go chapter by chapter XD probably not a good thing, but it seems to be working for the most part. *shrug*
    Should I see how long I can go before I begin trying to write a story of any kind, or do you guys think that maybe attempting to write would help me continue to play through. Suggestions would be wonderful.
    I was the exact same way before I started my legacy, random playing and creating tons of households because the one I just made got boring, but really I think it's all in how much you like those Sims. For me, I had a goal in mind -to start my first legacy ever- and to see how it went. Since I put forth the effort to make the Sims exactly how I wanted, decorated the homes, different lots, thought of their personalities, as well as picked my own rules from this thread, I got really excited to start it and I suddenly then had tons of motivation. I'm on Gen 4 now and I still don't see myself getting sick of this family anytime soon. You just gotta love what you make and love what you do. Let the Sims make up their own personalities and take it from there. If I'm at a standstill sometimes, I'll even just free play with them and they'll do something silly or stupid and it'll give me ideas for new chapters, if I have writer's block or whatever.

And here's some more cookies. ^o^
    tumblr_me419rkh6y1ro2d43.gif
  • french_vanilla13french_vanilla13 Posts: 586 Member
    edited January 2015
    Don't worry, I think it happens to everyone.
    My first generation of my Grimm's legacy is kind of sporadic, I just basically jumped in. Since then I sit down and I write out the main plot for each generation which is basically contributing to one major plot for the whole legacy, and then I decide on how many chapters and start from chapter one and write out basically what's going to happen in each one with room for some of the random things that happens in the sims.
    Hi guys!

Or you know, you could always see about writing a short story with one of the families? I've seen some other authors do that in addition to their legacies, get a feel for it? I almost wish that I had of done that instead of jumping in because my legacies haven't really turned out very good. It also helps to have a game plan as to what kind you want to do and at least a base idea of where you want it to go.

@lovesstorms oooh okay! I get you, I was totally misunderstanding what I was reading lol. I'll try that tonight.

I've actually been considering ending both of my legacies and just maybe starting over with another legacy or something.
    polariod_1

I suppose I have a question for everyone! Well, multiple, actually. :D
    This isn't really asking for advice, but just more so curious as to how others do it, asking them out of curiosity as well as anyone else that comes across this thread and wants to know the same thing.

When you're making a Sim for your legacy, let's say the Founder, how do you even begin to pick their traits? How do you pick their personality that comes with those traits, too, when putting it into words? Is there a process you do?
    Also, what about the founder/heirs future spouses? How do you pick their traits and make them (at least somewhat, or even not at all) compatible for your heir?

Since I had chosen the permanent trait of "insane" for mine, that still leaves 4 other trait options, so also, if you were going to pick the "permanent trait" option, how would you pick it? What would you pick?

Okay, a lot of different questions to answer.. LOL
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I didn't create new sims for my Glen Harbor legacy because I had the perfect family for the town founders in the library.I started with Eli and Ami Jankowsky on a large empty lot and they both have genius,slob,lucky,loves the outdoors and athletic traits.I just use families from the library to move into the town and rotate between the households in the game to play them so they can get pregnant or adopt pets and even move to another house if they need to.I get to choose the traits though some traits have to be bad ones like slob.Slob sims are very funny to play because they'll eat spoiled leftovers from the fridge or leave food out to spoil and continue to eat it even after it gets clouds of flies around it.They don't even get sick from eating spoiled food even of it's got flies swarming around it.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    When you're making a Sim for your legacy, let's say the Founder, how do you even begin to pick their traits? How do you pick their personality that comes with those traits, too, when putting it into words? Is there a process you do?
    Also, what about the founder/heirs future spouses? How do you pick their traits and make them (at least somewhat, or even not at all) compatible for your heir?

Since I had chosen the permanent trait of "insane" for mine, that still leaves 4 other trait options, so also, if you were going to pick the "permanent trait" option, how would you pick it? What would you pick?

Okay, a lot of different questions to answer.. LOL

For me, it all depends on the legacy and where I want the story to go. I get a basic idea of who I want my founder to be and then I pick the traits I think are best suited for her personality.
    The spouses it also depends, sometimes, I intend for them to be single and just end up broken hearted, other times I plan for them to fit into the town I place them so they can find a spouse there, or others I base the spouse off of their traits. To make them compatible either I have one similar trait or I make sure their signs are compatible. Everything I do for the characters I make is based off of the plot whether it's for the whole legacy or just that generation.

As for permanent trait, I would choose one that I could see living with for a long time. It would also have to be something that I could write into the story and use to make the plot even more interesting.
    polariod_1

• puppyluvvpuppyluvv Posts: 16,996 Member
    Ahhh, I remember this thread! Glad to see it's been revived!

I took a few months break from writing my legacy (not intentionally, oops!) and am just now getting back to it and getting things ready for the heir(ess) vote. I'm working on a few shorts to post on my tumblr (stuff that I have in my head but hasn't made it into the story, y'know), and I gotta say, it's a lot of work. How some people manage more than one legacy absolutely baffles me!
    generation-two-banner-trait.png?w=640
    Our Lives are Better Left to Chance - A Legacy
    @puppyluv for me anyways, it wasn't hard handling more then one even with life, it's just the fact I lost the drive for my legacies after so long when it became apparent no one was reading them, which is why I'm ending them now.
    polariod_1

• SimMadMegSimMadMeg Posts: 685 Member
    I am back with a new chapter on The Simm Legacy! Chapter 27 has now become Erin's final chapter but not the legacy final chapter :) ENJOY!
    screenshot-685.jpg
  • ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    Once again, a post on my Tumblr dash has broken my Simming heart. Another Simmer has just lost everything - years and years of work - because of a serious computer problem.

I feel like I'm forever banging on about this, but please: If it would break your heart to lose it, BACK IT UP!

Saved Sims, game saves, buildings you've created, your most-frequently-used CC, special worlds that you use that are no longer available to download; anything like that. Back up everything once, and then back up anything that changes (eg: game saves) at least once a month. And for things that are really important to you (such as your current legacy family that you may be playing every single day) back those up at least once a week.

Don't wait until you're in a panic because your hard drive is failing or you get a 'countdown virus' that tells you in 3 hours all your files will be locked. If you're trying to back-up in a hurry you're bound to forget something important. Do it now. Schedule a day or a weekend every week or month (depending on how often your game saves might change) and sit down to back up. It'll only take about half an hour, and you can rest safe knowing that - if your hard drive crashed three days later - you'll only lose three days of game play instead of three years of it.

You can back up in several ways, some expensive, some cheap, some free.

The expensive option
    Get an external drive. These can be pretty expensive, so if you don't have any (or many) funds ask for one as an early birthday present.

The cheaper option
    Get a large capacity flash drive. These are much cheaper and you can get large memory flash drives for about $15 these days (I got this 32GB one for that much, and I don't know many Simmers who wouldn't be able to fit ALL their important stuff into 32GB)

The free option
    Get an account with Mediafire, Mega, Dropbox, or Google Drive. All of those are free and they all offer you a minimum of 10GB free space (in the case of Mega I think it's much more). This option might not work for those on a metered internet connection that includes uploads, so choose the backup option that works best for you.
    tfb.jpg
    @TadOlson I've never done that before, use families from the bin. LOL That's too funny, the whole slob thing. XD I've actually never experienced a Sim with the slob trait, but I think it'd be hilarious if I ever did have one. Maybe I'll try it out sometime hahaha

@french_vanilla13 Ahh I see, so you're more plot based. Very interesting. I've never really focused on the plot first when it comes to my legacy, I just let my Sims do it for me hahaha like I usually just go off of their traits and work from there, trying to figure out what plot might suit them best.

@puppyluvv Glad to hear your back and working on your legacy again! And I couldn't agree more, idek how some people manage more than one legacy. Just one is tiring at times XD

@SimMadMeg This isn't really the type of thread where you should drop a link to your story chapters and leave. This is a thread where we share writing tips for legacies, whereas your post is more for this thread or this one. Just letting you know ^_^

@ValoisFulcanelli Great advice, thanks for sharing :D I really do need to invest in a bigger external hard drive.
    @MrsOogieboogie Pretty much, I've never tried doing it where I let the sim decide the story, I'm not sure if I could actually. I don't seem to handle disorder very well and no plan. I like having plans and knowing where I'm going, I get very fretful otherwise lol.

@everyone Okay so, I've download the Mastercontroller and the cheats, now I'm trying to edit the family ties/family tree thing, but I can't figure out how to do it. There are too many options and not enough explanations for me to understand lol. I'm way too technically illiterate. Can someone help me with what I'm looking for please? Thanks
    polariod_1

I found external hard drives aren't that expensive and the smaller one I've got cost as much a a USB drive and holds a lot more data.I intend to get another larger one and I'll store back ups of Mod files,CC downloads and my Electronic Arts folder.
    @MrsOogieBoogie-I've used the slob trait because my towns can run short on supplies and I don't want sims getting sick from eating spoiled food if they ended up having to do that.
    @everybody-I've just finished with checking out my Mod settings after updating my NRaas Mods and the settings are mostly fine unless I add new Mods in.I didn't want to start playing only to have my legacies ruined by glitched settings.
    edited January 2015
    @french_vanilla13 Ah, understandable, everyone has their own way of doing things and which ways make them feel the most comfortable. Usually when one of my generations is just starting out, that's when I always let them kinda do whatever they want and it gives me a chance to get a feel for this personality, I guess, then further down the road when it comes to the middle-later chapters, or when I think a potential spouse should finally get involved, that's when I'll try to come up with a plot or at least somewhere to potentially go with it.

@TadOlson Ahh, that makes sense. Still though, I've never tried to play with a slob. Maybe I'll roll that trait in my legacy sometime, I just hope I'm ready for it LOL I've never played with a slob sim XD
    I've actually found that external hard drives are way cheaper than using an online file storage service and backing it up to online servers because you pay monthly or yearly fees for these services and the storage is still limited while you can often find 1TB portable external hard drives for about 100$ and you only pay that once.
  • lovesstormslovesstorms Posts: 17,794 Member
    @french_vanilla13‌ - Try this link: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/MasterController+FAQ and scroll down where it talks about relationships. I really hope that helps. I have a ton of things going on today or I'd go in game and play around with it. :\
    Origin ID: lovesstorms
    Seeking a Cure for PSC
    From Lifehack.org
    - 20 Things About Highly Creative People
    Simblr
    Lovesstorms's Stories
    @lovesstorms Thank you, I will check it out when I can. It's cool, I get what you mean. I have so much to do today when I get home, I don't know what all I'll be able to get done. :( Hopefully I can get it figured out.
    polariod_1

• ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I've actually found that external hard drives are way cheaper than using an online file storage service and backing it up to online servers because you pay monthly or yearly fees for these services and the storage is still limited while you can often find 1TB portable external hard drives for about 100$ and you only pay that once.
    Agreed, assuming that one has $100 spare to pay for an external drive. In the current financial climate that's something a lot of people simply can't afford. There is also the risk that physical backups can become corrupt. External drives are as prone to their disks breaking as internal drives are. Your most important and essential files should always be backed up in more than one location.

Not every cloud-based storage solution demands a monthly fee. Many have basic, free starter options. For the average Simmer the free options would be more than enough to back up their most important files.
    • Dropbox Basic Account = 2GB allowance for free members (possibility to earn up at 16GB more by referrals)
    • Google Drive Basic account = 15GB allowance for free members (if you have any Google account you can set up a Drive account)
    • Mediafire = 10GB allowance for free members
    • Mega = 50GB allowance for free members
    • Box = 10GB allowance for free members

Out of all those, the safest options for your files are Google Drive and Dropbox, which are both owned by large companies. While Mega gives you a huge amount of storage it's not somewhere I would use to backup important files, and it's owned by the same people who created MegaUpload, which was siezed a few years ago in one of those government anti-piracy swoops that have closed down a few such sites.

The main thing to remember when using cloud-based storage is to always have your files and folders set to private, unless you're using them to share your creations (in which case, upload those creations into separate folders that you've set as public; don't make your entire account public).
    tfb.jpg
  • RaeNicRaeNic Posts: 767 Member
    Just stumbled along here and had to come in. What a great way/place to help others and give ideas or express concerns. Anyway, I just want to say this:
    Your most important and essential files should always be backed up in more than one location.
    Such helpful advise. One never knows when you need a backup of your backup. So frustrating and devastating when you don't have it. I think that it's always best to err on the side of caution. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, yes?

That being said, I'm going to go back and keep reading. I noticed quite a few questions that I find myself having while writing, so it's really nice to know I'm not alone in that. :)
    How often do you guys move your sims in your legacies? Like to different worlds or do you use the same world for the entire legacy?

I've just decided that I'll probably have each generation in a different town. As a few other simmers have mentioned, I find that I get bored with the towns sometimes, so I think it may help and make things a bit more interesting if I go to a new town for each new generation.

re: NRaas mods, I love Master Controller. It helps fix and tweak small but perhaps important features of my game sometimes. I don't think I have traveller so don't really know what it does/what it's use is for. Maybe I'll go over there and give it a look-see.
  • puppyluvvpuppyluvv Posts: 16,996 Member
    Just updated my legacy for the first time in over six months. I didn't realize how much I missed writing for my babies until now, haha
    generation-two-banner-trait.png?w=640
    Our Lives are Better Left to Chance - A Legacy
    @RaeNic Traveller is actually really cool, I haven't had a chance to really use it yet. Right now I'm trying to decide where to restart my legacy at and where exactly the plan is going lol.
    I haven't yet had a chance to really play around with Master Controller yet. I'm trying to figure out how to edit the family tree which I think lovesstorms may have helped me with, but I haven't yet had a chance to test it out.
    I also really like this forum because most of everyone is really helpful when you have a question.
    polariod_1

• SimMadMegSimMadMeg Posts: 685 Member
    @french_vanilla13‌ I think "family tree" option is in either intermediate, advanced or basic in the Mastercontroller menu :)

I have had to use it often with my story...the plot of Erin getting kidnapped and finding her family in adulthood meant I had to actually make her family her family :P
    SimMadMeg wrote: »
    @french_vanilla13‌ I think "family tree" option is in either intermediate, advanced or basic in the Mastercontroller menu :)

I have had to use it often with my story...the plot of Erin getting kidnapped and finding her family in adulthood meant I had to actually make her family her family :P

haha I second this. I am always getting confused, or just plain forget, which one exactly. I think after you go to one of those it will have 'family' and then you can add a relation (i.e. add/subtract parent/sibling/child) from that menu that pops up. I think 'family tree' just shows the family tree or something. If any of this makes sense... lol