Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An inventory sorter is desperately needed

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's sim has so much stuff in their pockets that it starts to become impossible to find things when you need them. But yet for example you don't want to throw them away since they might be ingredients for an herbal remedy or cooking etc.

We need to have a feature to sort all of this. The first one would be a search bar that functions like the one in Build/Buy You can search for items then the others will dissapear except the ones you're looking for. So search for "treefish" will get the magical treefish to only appear in your inventory (assuming you have it)

The second method would be a way to FILTER out only certain types. It would function like the one in cas. For example "Show only fish, herbs, fruits, plants, furniture" etc.

The third method would be a sort by. An example would be sort by Date obtained, Type (fish, herbs, my sims etc), quantity, Rarity, Alphabetically etc.

Anyone else agree with me that we need better inventory sorting features?
e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

Comments

• smoothyrus129smoothyrus129 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I think any/all those options would be nice ... but even if EA somehow can't give us any of that, I'd really just like the opportunity to MANUALLY sort my inventory / fridge / etc. I like being able to group similar items together, or put frequently-used items near the front of the inventory, or arrange leftovers in the fridge so that a.) they're all at the top of the list, and b.) they're in order depending on when they spoil, so I don't have to hover over all of them to find the oldest food to eat first.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Sweet god, yes.

You tried fishing with bait when you have just harvested the garden? It lists every single item, not the stack...every item - lol

The personal inventory certainly needs some kind of sorting as well...be even nicer if they threw in a hotbar as well, to stick items like current song being written, bit of fruit and so on.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    You tried fishing with bait when you have just harvested the garden? It lists every single item, not the stack...every item - lol

This right here!
    I would love a sorter and be able to choose what I want to use for bait and make just those items chosen for bait. What harvestables I want to hold in the inventory for snacking, separate from the other sorts. For heaven's sakes, why can't dinner servings be listed first in the refrigerator? Gosh, I have to go searching for plates that may be close to spoiling. Again I think the people over this stuff could use a bit of imagination, or at least show some care. I am not seeing it.

Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who's sim has so much stuff in their pockets that it starts to become impossible to find things when you need them. But yet for example you don't want to throw them away since they might be ingredients for an herbal remedy or cooking etc.

We need to have a feature to sort all of this. The first one would be a search bar that functions like the one in Build/Buy You can search for items then the others will dissapear except the ones you're looking for. So search for "treefish" will get the magical treefish to only appear in your inventory (assuming you have it)

The second method would be a way to FILTER out only certain types. It would function like the one in cas. For example "Show only fish, herbs, fruits, plants, furniture" etc.

The third method would be a sort by. An example would be sort by Date obtained, Type (fish, herbs, my sims etc), quantity, Rarity, Alphabetically etc.

Great Idea!!! I was trying to fertilize my garden with fish. But my Sim had so much stuff in her inventory, I'm scrolling and scrolling, and scrolling....knowing dang well I had fish in my inventory but couldn't find them. Talk about slowing you down. It bothered me that I would see a carrot, and then spinach, and then later another carrot. Like why aren't all the carrots grouped together or something. Just crazy. If you're on the Guru chats on Tuesday's please present this idea. It's a great one.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

Great Idea!!! I was trying to fertilize my garden with fish. But my Sim had so much stuff in her inventory, I'm scrolling and scrolling, and scrolling....knowing dang well I had fish in my inventory but couldn't find them. Talk about slowing you down. It bothered me that I would see a carrot, and then spinach, and then later another carrot. Like why aren't all the carrots grouped together or something. Just crazy. If you're on the Guru chats on Tuesday's please present this idea. It's a great one.

With my work schedule I never seem to make it, but if someone would like to link this thread and suggest it since it seems to be getting alot of support, I'd be more than happy :)

• ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    yes!!!!!!!! i would also love to be able to group categories, so like all flowers are added to one folder.
  • HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member

i was clamoring for this back in september... before all of the other game's shortcomings snowballed and made it unplayable for me. inventory management is not fun.
  • YourAverageSimYourAverageSim Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2015
    Careful what you wish for; you may end up with Sims with smaller pockets :open_mouth:
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

i was clamoring for this back in september... before all of the other game's shortcomings snowballed and made it unplayable for me. inventory management is not fun.

I just wanted to say nice Profile picture <3
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I would also really love more storage solutions, so I wouldn't have to keep everything in my bags. I move small amounts of food into the fridge, but larger stacks glitch out the game (at least, they used to, I have not played in a long time). But there is no place to keep seeds, or upgrade items, or plant slides, or rocks and gems, or any of the other zillions of things we pick up.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    I think they could use the UI from the telephone sort for inventory. :D
  • HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member

I just wanted to say nice Profile picture <3

Thank you :)
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    My vote would be for type:
    • fruits
    • veggies
    • flowers
    • leftovers
    • books
    • etc.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Yes please. I am just selling most things for now because I don't want a large inventory to slow my game down.

Since I can't edit public spaces, I may go in to the parks and add plant boxes so I can graft things there.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I would love both more storage solutions (I miss the chests from WA) and a better inventory organization system. Here's an idea; when listing ingredients for fertilizing, list them by quality (better quality fertilizer towards the top of the list), and when listing baits, list value first (some fish bite more at bait that's more valuable -- you can find out what sort of bait fish like by doing the Examine Water interaction once you've got a few points of Fishing skill). And please give us something we can store all the collectables in especially if our houses are too small to display everything.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Yes please! Now that I'm working on the herbalism skill my sims inventory is such a mess.

Please allow inventory sorters and can we get a cabniet or something that we could put the herbs in? Storage for insects and frogs would be awfully nice too. Everything has such a big foot print in this game it drives me batty.
    hmae123 wrote: »
    Yes please! Now that I'm working on the herbalism skill my sims inventory is such a mess.

Please allow inventory sorters and can we get a cabniet or something that we could put the herbs in? Storage for insects and frogs would be awfully nice too. Everything has such a big foot print in this game it drives me batty.

Storage for everything would be nice -- frogs, aliens (for us space explorers), insects, crystals, metals -- at least we've got the display case for the elements.

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    My heart just sinks when I have to go into the inventory :(
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
    hmae123 wrote: »

Storage for everything would be nice -- frogs, aliens (for us space explorers), insects, crystals, metals -- at least we've got the display case for the elements.

It really would. I like to go for multiple aspirations sometimes and bounce around. I'm working on all the nature/collecting ones now and it's just a mess. And messes make me crazy, lol.
    I stopped bothering with the collector aspriation cause I didn't know where to keep all the stuff.
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited January 2015
    It would also help if they gave us standard scroll bars, so we could scroll down one page at a time by clicking below the scroll bar and scroll up one page at a time by clicking above it, instead of having to take a guess at the right spot to click.

Another thing that would help is a command on the refrigerator to Get Leftovers. We have a command to put leftovers into the refrigerator so I don't understand why we don't have one to take them back out.
  • Rayeee18Rayeee18 Posts: 333 Member
    I say the same thing almost every day!
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    @hmae123 You can sell things as soon as you collect them. I sell all the fossils and mysims right away. I usually send the metals and gems to the council first before I sell just in case one comes back as something I don't have.

I either mount the fish or use them as bait. For gardening, I send him over to his gf's house and there he has sliced plants and planted his pomegranates. She is the gardener/herbalist and he is a fisher/collector. I keep track of what both collect so that when they get together, it will show some completed collections for both of them.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited January 2015
    Although i'm good at keeping inventory, I empty it every night, cause if you think about it who sleeps with 7 apples, 10 spinach, 4 fish, 10 scrap metel, in their pockets? i keep my phone in bed with me but don't sleep with food. i agree.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    Sketch793 wrote: »
    It would also help if they gave us standard scroll bars, so we could scroll down one page at a time by clicking below the scroll bar and scroll up one page at a time by clicking above it, instead of having to take a guess at the right spot to click.

Another thing that would help is a command on the refrigerator to Get Leftovers. We have a command to put leftovers into the refrigerator so I don't understand why we don't have one to take them back out.

If you click on the hunger icon in the needs panel (the ball on the left side of the bar) Sims will automatically grab leftovers from the fridge, but it's pretty random; my Sims tend to go for the leftover birthday cake over the Caprese salad (they must take after me in that regard).
    fullspiral wrote: »
    @hmae123 You can sell things as soon as you collect them. I sell all the fossils and mysims right away. I usually send the metals and gems to the council first before I sell just in case one comes back as something I don't have.

I either mount the fish or use them as bait. For gardening, I send him over to his gf's house and there he has sliced plants and planted his pomegranates. She is the gardener/herbalist and he is a fisher/collector. I keep track of what both collect so that when they get together, it will show some completed collections for both of them.

Thanks! I didntn realize there is a little thing you can click on in inventory to see how close you are to competing the collection that will help! The only stuff I like to keep now are herbs and insects and I put the veggies and fruit in the fridge.