Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Late Night Wont Work

Everytime I try to launch it says "Unable to start. please reinstall the sims 3 base game" I already did so. I uninstalled and reinstalled the sims 3, god knows how many times I reinstalled the expansion pack! Even when I reinstalled the base game, I had to update. I have no other expansion packs installed!! So What do I do??????!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    There is more to uninstalling TS3 than merely running the uninstaller. Did you follow all the steps to clean up the leftovers and registry entries? If not, pieces of the game's program are staying behind and getting in your way here.
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • immafatcatimmafatcat Posts: 20 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > There is more to uninstalling TS3 than merely running the uninstaller. Did you follow all the steps to clean up the leftovers and registry entries? If not, pieces of the game's program are staying behind and getting in your way here.

Thats how I solved my last problem. Which was when the launcher didn't work and I removed late night. I think that may be the problem but I dont how to put it back in the registry (idk if I said that right) . (By the way I only have one expansion pack which is late night)
    removed from the registry i mean
    Cleaning up the VirtualStore, leftover folders, and registry files is part of the uninstall procedure. That all has to be completed for first the one EP and then the base game after you run the uninstalls. That's when you can declare your computer free of any TS3 remnants at all.

Then you reinstall. The reinstallation puts things in the registry and those other elements in place. But it can't do that properly if there are still bits and pieces left behind from a prior install that never got removed. There should never be a point where you are manually trying to put things into the registry, only removing them as part of the uninstall.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    > @igazor said:
    > Cleaning up the VirtualStore, leftover folders, and registry files is part of the uninstall procedure. That all has to be completed for first the one EP and then the base game after you run the uninstalls. That's when you can declare your computer free of any TS3 remnants at all.
    >
    > Then you reinstall. The reinstallation puts things in the registry and those other elements in place. But it can't do that properly if there are still bits and pieces left behind from a prior install that never got removed. There should never be a point where you are manually trying to put things into the registry, only removing them as part of the uninstall.

Well, I already did that :s
    A more extreme solution would be to reinstall Windows (plus everything else you have). Of course, a backup of all of your data and files beyond just TS3 would be required or you risk losing everything. But that would definitely give you a clean path to reinstall since the registry and everything else would be brand new.

In between that extreme and the one that isn't working, all I can suggest is that the removal was not complete. It sounds like something, somewhere got left behind and is getting in the way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    > @igazor said:
    > A more extreme solution would be to reinstall Windows (plus everything else you have). Of course, a backup of all of your data and files beyond just TS3 would be required or you risk losing everything. But that would definitely give you a clean path to reinstall since the registry and everything else would be brand new.
    >
    > In between that extreme and the one that isn't working, all I can suggest is that the removal was not complete. It sounds like something, somewhere got left behind and is getting in the way.
    mk thanks :)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Are you trying to install a digital download version of Late Night?

If so the problem is most likely caused by the download button you click in Origin. There are two of them. One is hidden and reveals itself if you click the i button. That is the one to use. The other one has been doing this sort of thing to people for months. I hope your fix is as simple as using the second download button.
    @Karritz - Oh geez, I sure hope @immafatcat see this before they decide to reinstall Windows. I'd feel really bad if I made them waste all their time like that, if that's all it is... :\
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited January 2015
    igazor wrote: »
    @Karritz - Oh geez, I sure hope @immafatcat see this before they decide to reinstall Windows. I'd feel really bad if I made them waste all their time like that, if that's all it is... :\

I wish they'd just fix that button. >:)

There is a sticky at the top of this forum about it. DLC Compatibility alert is the one. I presume the sticky is still there. I haven't looked for a while.

I hope they find this before reinstalling windows too but it still might be what has to happen. But I thought it might be worthwhile trying that other button just in case.

Edit. I just checked. That sticky is gone now. The advice is now buried in the Master Help thread.