Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is >anybody< actually satisfied with no toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    I don't get the big deal with potty training, I mean, why all the hate? So you take your toddler to the potty chair two maybe three times and stand there cheering them on and then they've got it. Boy, that sounds like a grindfest, totally ruins all my fun.

i did enjoy the actual training . it was the fact that in whatever game i was playing 3 i think they couldn't get out of the crib by themselves that bothered me.
    But most toddlers can't. My daughter did it once and I'm still glad that ended well. A big boom and then a lot of crying and a bump on her head. I don't mind I have to take care of them, it's realistic. One of my parents take out the toddler first thing in the morning and then they are free to go wherever they like till it's time to go to bed again.
    I don't mind the potty training either, nor teaching them how to walk and talk. I actually always let the parents take care of that, instead of th playpen and the walker. That just seems so cold to me.

I usually split it, my toddlers love the playpen and the walker while mum is making dinner (or takes a short nap on the couch) and it cuts down on the training time. Arrrrgh must load up my game now.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    yunagarnetyunagarnet Posts: 417 Member
    I know it's going to bother me once I finally able to play the game. I didn't have many toddlers in my game but when I did I loved them. They're adorable (at least TS2 toddlers imo). It was also nice to teach them how to walk and talk. Although teaching them how to use the potty wasn't so nice. :/ But in all seriousness it really is going to suck not having them. I wanted to start a legacy in TS4 but now it kinda seems pointless since the baby stage has been so heavily altered and the toddler stage is just gone.
    “Honestly, we didn’t meet player expectations at launch, and that was a difficult pill to swallow,” - The Sims 4 executive producer, Rachel Franklin.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    One of my favorite things about having toddlers in the game is that they can get a head start on skills needed later on so that when they become children and teens they have more time for doing other things besides skill. I always found that to be very helpful. Once the training is done they do a decent job of taking care of themselves for a good part of the day if needed. I like to put toddler toys at the local park so they can go out for a nice stroll and have a fun afternoon and still maybe get a little skill building done. I also like to design a nice children's area to the local library, book reading goes really fast there. You can build a ton of skill points in a short time.

Removing the toddler stage puts a lot of pressure on children to skill up from nothing. Right now there isn't much for children to do in the game, yes I have a child in the game and I have played... but still, there isn't a whole lot, but when there is I'd like to think they don't have to spend all their waking hours tending to needs and skills. A lot more free play time would be nice.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    It doesn't bother me that they're not there. I hope those who want them back, get them back, but personally I'm not bothered.
  • Options
    MAFEBISIMAFEBISI Posts: 160 Member
    edited January 2015
    To these people who find toddlers boring and useless, i think Maxis could adapt the MySims for these people, only to young adult life stage with many supernatural creatures, lots of partying, very motherlode and turn it online. So they can do The Sims return back to its original focus. :p
  • Options
    MAFEBISI wrote: »
    To these people who find toddlers boring and useless, i think Maxis could adapt the MySims for these people, only to young adult life stage with many supernatural creatures, lots of partying, very motherlode and turn it online. So they can do The Sims return back to its original focus. :p

Why didn't they just call this thing what it really is.

MySims 2.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member

MySims 2.

Exactly, it seems to me that it is nothing more than a hook-up game.
  • Options

MySims 2.

Exactly, it seems to me that it is nothing more than a hook-up game.

I'm being semi serious, too. As MySims 2 it would have been acceptable :P and they seem to be targeted at a similar demographic. As a sequel to the sims 1 2 & 3 it's a joke. I mean if you're gonna set the bar low at least do it properly lol.
  • Options
    GrumpyCatGrumpyCat Posts: 28 Member
    I don't mind not having toddlers. Actually, newborns are boring, too.
  • Options
    twinkledustingtwinkledusting Posts: 98 Member
    Sign....I really love the toddler stage and miss them. Sooooo, cute. The family part of the game seems for me to be incomplete in Sims 4. I feel cheated. Babies that you leave in a crib. Kids and then grown ups. Teens don't feel, look, or act like teens either.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    They should have called it The Sims Online Revisited, actually. Although, they were going to make the same mistake with *this* iteration of the game (as an online game) as they did with The Sims Online...Lot by Lot gameplay, plus a heavy emphasis on chat, chat, chat and yes, romance...although I don't think they would have had woohoo (or maybe they would have). But what they don't realize is that (a) Second Life and IMVU apparently have toddlers in their games (they advertise virtual families) and (b) Sims players want the same kind of experience online as they have offline...that is, they want to visit each others' houses and have families together with their friends. They also want to be able to go running around the neighborhood, etc. same as they can do in the offline game.

So, EA had utter phail in both aspects of the game...offline *and* online.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    LadyDaKareLadyDaKare Posts: 212 Member
    > @AlmaMM said:
    > So I've seen all the amounts of people who complain about not having toddlers in TS4 but according to what EA says, they did it because toddlers had the least game time (or something like that, I'm not sure if I remember correctly), so I wonder, is anybody here that is glad that the toddler lifestage is skipped over?

To me it just seems weird. It's missing a life stage and it feels like a basic element is missing. In addition, I used the toddler stage to build up some of the toddlers skills. I personally could deal with it being permanent, but, it just feels weird.

LadyDaKare
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    If you didn't like toddlers, you had the option to age them up so you didn't have to deal with them. Lack of toddlers leave the ones who did like them without an option. That's not very fair. :(
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Yes, I am satsifed. They always felt more like a burden, mostly because you never really played the toddlers, but rather the older sims that interacted with the toddlers. Besides, there were no toddlers in TS1, so I never felt that they belonged into the series.

I could live with toddlers if they stayed optional, that is if aging a toddler up prematurely had no ill consequences whatsoever (Remember that in TS3 you didn´t get to choose a trait if you didn´t go through the toddler training program!). Or if they had way more options like climb on lap, tease the family bird, steal a joghurt from the fridge and drop it on the carpet, try to drink from ink bottles, ask embarassing questions and pretty much anything that makes them persons in their own right and not just self-mobile dolls.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited January 2015
    Yes, I am satsifed. They always felt more like a burden, mostly because you never really played the toddlers, but rather the older sims that interacted with the toddlers. Besides, there were no toddlers in TS1, so I never felt that they belonged into the series.
    They were also no teens, young adult stage, visible infants, or aging...
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    EA annihilated my play style of ten years when they removed toddlers. So no, not happy.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    In short, no.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I would love toddlers back, but I would also like a younger teen stage, 13, 14. Also keep the older teen stage which looks like 17, 18. I'm dreaming.
  • Options
    mrswoo5mrswoo5 Posts: 2,143 Member
    Not at all my sims do not reproduce so have no need for them.
  • Options
    songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2015
    Gruffman wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if they came back. I just hope that when they do there is a lot more to the stage than just walk, talk and take a potty.

You forgot picking their nose and eating it. ;) Agreed, though. When/if toddlers show up, they need to come with lots of interactions, animations and items. And maybe tone down the emotional reactions on them. Someone somewhere pointed out how toddlers have trouble handling emotions as it is and speculated that they could be put into states of constant tantrums. I think most of us agree we wouldn't want that.

ETA: I didn't see your other comment. I'm with you about no imaginary friends. I loved the concept when I heard about it; hated the creepy Twilight Zone dolls. About your list, have you considered putting it on sparkfairy's post? I know you wanted to step back from that one for a bit, but I think most of the readers would find it interesting.
  • Options
    DextroyerX2DextroyerX2 Posts: 267 Member
    Honestly both yes and no, I definitely disliked Toddlers the most of the life stages but I still feel they need to return for Sims to live a full life, Ghosts are back so I'm betting Toddlers will be back soon.
  • Options
    ThitPoulsenThitPoulsen Posts: 54 Member
    They need to bring toddlers back. Its such a dissapointment to have kids when there isnt the toddler stage. you dont expect your child to go from baby directly to kid and it makes their life shorter, which means i now have to have kids much later in my sims life which i do not like one bit. its way too unrealistic that they arent there. If they are going to put something as unrealistic back as ghosts, they better bring back the toddlers.
  • Options
    immafatcatimmafatcat Posts: 20 New Member
    > @catitude5 said:
    > I would love toddlers back, but I would also like a younger teen stage, 13, 14. Also keep the older teen stage which looks like 17, 18. I'm dreaming.

I agree
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    To be honest, toddlers are a pain and I don't like them in the game. It's hard enough to deal with babies..I like going straight from baby to kid.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    stephacts238stephacts238 Posts: 2 New Member
    This is not the first time toddlers were left out in the base game. I am ok with them not being there at the moment. As Frn said there are parts of this game for everyone. I never did like the supernatural side of the game but it made it fun for others and it came with cool stuff for me. It is a life game and I play for families so toddlers are important to have IMO. I probably would stop playing 4 if they came out with expansions that didn't add toddlers in.