Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Toddlers make their return - the Sims 4 cure all?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
edited January 2015 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
So I've been bouncing about these forums having read, started and joined many a discussion and without fail toddlers always come up - with the demand for them.

I know, shocking insight!

Seriously though, toddler discussions by themselves get thousands of views and replies, with many simmers swearing off the game until their included once again and many others see the game as broken until their returned. Then it seems everyday we get new hate topics which always mentioned the lack of toddlers, like they are the end of all of the Sims 4 problems.

Truly to all of you, is their lack of game presence REALLY destroying your ability to play the game? Does it all truly hinge on toddlers?

I DO understand the argument that you feel ripped off because content you feel was key to game play was removed, that EA owes it to you because you gave them your money - but you also paid for content you know didn't include toddlers to begin with. They didn't lie to you, you weren't forced to buy it sans toddler, you bought it by choice. If you didn't buy it, then good, that was your choice too.

Ironically a lot of people, people who LIKE toddlers have commented in various topics how annoying toddlers are in previous games too. Well lets put that in prospective.

The Sims 4 has emotions now.

Which means so will toddlers.

I want you to think about that for a second. ANYBODY that has ever had kids or babysat toddlers will know what I'm getting at.

I honestly fear the return of toddlers in the Sims 4 - they will likely be a complete chore to play, if not the most annoying life stage of all time and honestly - I wouldn't put it beyond the developers to make Toddlers utterly "emotional realistic" in doing so, with a "well you want toddlers, so here you go" attitude.

The better question is, do toddlers justify the huge amount of attention they generate? Or is it a matter of principal of content expectation of a Sims game regardless? Will their re-inclusion some how fix all the wrongs the Sims 4 has committed?

Beyond that I truly believe if you don't like the game now and toddlers are the first thing you complain about, well lets face its, it will still be the same game in all but one regard...

edited for grammar
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    So I've been bouncing about these forums having read, started and joined many a discussion and without fail toddlers always come up - with the demand for them.

I know, shocking insight!

Seriously though, toddler discussions by themselves get thousands of views and replies, with many simmers swearing off the game until their included once again and many others see the game as broken until their returned. Then it seems everyday we get new hate topics which always mentioned the lack of toddlers, like they are the end of all of the Sims 4 problems.

Truly to all of you, is their lack of game presence REALLY destroying your ability to play the game? Does it all truly hinge on toddlers?

I DO understand the argument that you feel ripped off because content you feel was key to game play was removed, that EA owes it to you because you gave them your money - but you also paid for content you know didn't include toddlers to begin with. They didn't lie to you, you weren't forced to buy it sans toddler, you bought it by choice. If you didn't buy it, then good, that was your choice too.

Ironically a lot of people, people who LIKE toddlers have commented in various topics how annoying toddlers are in previous games too. Well lets put that in prospective.

The Sims 4 has emotions now.

Which means so will toddlers.

I want you to think about that for a second. ANYBODY that has ever had kids or babysat toddlers will know what I'm getting at.

I honestly fear the return of toddlers in the Sims 4 - they will likely be a complete chore to play, if not the most annoying life stage of all time and honestly - I wouldn't put it beyond the developers to make Toddlers utterly "emotional realistic" in doing so, with a "well you want toddlers, so here you go" attitude.

The better question is, do toddlers justify the huge amount of attention they generate? Or is it a matter of principal of content expectation of a Sims game regardless? Will their re-inclusion some how fix all the wrongs the Sims 4 has committed?

Beyond that I truly believe if you don't like the game now and toddlers are the first thing you complain about, well lets face its, it will still be the same game in all but one regard...

edited for grammar

Look, this is my point of view, for me toddlers coming back (FOR FREE), it is a big deal it will almost solve all of my issues with the game, I still like it, like I said many times, I like the game for the things it has, I think they did a good job when making almost evrything that there is in game (babies and teen heigh not so well done) the only thing that really bugs me is the lack of base game features, that is the only thing that makes me mad at Maxis right now and I won't pay for those basic features.
    Getting toddlers will be the first step, for me I will still want family trees, story progression and the npc's though there are other little features that I liked to see come back (like the door locks).
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    The Sims 4 only needs Justine Keaton. ;)
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    edited January 2015
    If they make toddlers like Sims 2 then I don't see the problem, and frankly the emotions in this game don't even work so I doubt toddlers will be as annoying in sims 3.

And if Toddlers are ever brought back to the game, I will be happy, but it will not really "improve" the game. Toddlers are not the basis of whether or not the game will be loved, or completed, there are a lot of other factors in this too.
  • Options
    CowPlantForHireCowPlantForHire Posts: 6,002 Member
    Would adding toddlers be a cure-all for The Sims 4? Nooooooo...
    dracula1.jpg

The game is missing so much outside of the lack of toddlers, and some of those missing features would never return (open world, for an example). Plus, it's currently very buggy, especially after the December patch. I haven't dealt with the bugs that came with the December patch, because I haven't played The Sims 4 since November, but I read that it had made the game unplayable for many Simmers. On top of that, EA plans on selling a game pack, which will introduce more bugs to those who purchase and install it.

The game pack itself doesn't even offer much to change the core game play (if anything, it would just continue the grinding nature that came with the base game). Even if toddlers were to be added, unless they came in a patch, there would be an uproar if they came back via an expansion pack or game pack because many Simmers, myself included, believe that they should have came with the base game. So no, the addition of toddlers would not solve the many issues that plague The Sims 4.
    tumblr_msl1pmMPdd1sho68to1_400.gif
  • Options
    mangoandgypsymangoandgypsy Posts: 41 Member
    I don't care for toddlers at all. I just want a butler because I'm tired of cleaning. That would really make the game sing for me.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    But my liking this game more doesn't tepend on toddlers, there are about eight more items on my wish list.

That's basically my point. This issue runs deeper than just having no toddlers. I really don't think adding them will make anyone like or dislike the game any more or less than they already do. It will still be the Sims 4, regardless. It will still be missing several other things.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Toddlers can help, but I fear that Sims 4 AI will be like how they treat the object-babies: "Oh, you're crying? Let me coo at you several times instead of feeding you", "Oh, I'll just play on my tablet. Man, that baby is annoying. Oh, well, I'll just keep on playing on my computer instead."
    (When Sims 1 have better survival instincts, we got problems, lol.)

Yeah, toddlers will not be the cure-all, but it does help flesh out the life stages. For me, toddlers are kind of important to my family play. Sims 4 is just a downgrade to Sims 1 with some Sims 2 aspects (but derpier AI than either of them!).

Also, I'm scared about how toddlers will be handled. If the babies are already objects that the family neglects, then what will happen to the toddlers? XD
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    edited January 2015
    I think it would help out alot, i still dont think toddlers will fix all the dislike towards the game due to reading so many comments about how people are just not happy with the lack of an open world. Sadly an open world isnt possible with the sims 4 as stated by the gurus. The very least they could do is make the sub hoods open so you can visit neighbors freely, but who knows what will get be broken in the process if that were to happen.
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    I didnt miss toddlers all that much until i went back and played the sims 2 ultimate collection, i didn't really like toddlers in the sims 3. I dont know why i just didnt. I liked them a tad more in sims 3 after generations and aurora skies came out with the walker, play pen and strollers from generations. But sims 2 always got it right.
  • Options
    steve7859 wrote: »
    I think it would help out alot, i still dont think toddlers will fix all the dislike towards the game due to reading so many comments about how people are just not happy with the lack of an open world. Sadly an open world isnt possible with the sims 4 as stated by the gurus. The very least they could do is make the sub hoods open so you can visit neighbors freely, but who knows what will get be broken in the process if that were to happen.

For me, it's not the open world. I'm fine re-playing Sims 1 and Sims 2 with their loading screens. And I was sort of fine with Sims 4 until....

It's deeper than that: The AI and Emotions are just wonky.
    Then there's the incest with no family-tree issue.
    Then there's the almost mandatory goals in the game.
    Just...no.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    Misleading title :s
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    With the bassinets masquerading as babies and no family tree and loading screens and tiny lots in minute world's. I think the whole game is a joke.

There are too many thinks to fix that might eventually improve it to list them all in the hundreds of threads wanting to know what single thing being added would fix the game.

Toddlers are nothing more than one of the major issues I have with the game and just adding toddlers will not make the game work for me. But failure to add toddlers after all other things have been fixed will mean the game is still well and truly not working.

When I bought the game I knew toddlers were missing from it but assumed they would be added. But now I see what else is missing I can see it is not really meant to be a Sims game. It is some other sort of game with Sims in it. Therefore I doubt that it can ever be a game I will enjoy playing and therefore I dont expect i will be buying any of the future content.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    Some time ago I was passionate about adding toddlers and would pay to get them because I was desperate. The baby to child thing just made me nauseous. :P Blegh. Now, I have no plum to give about the subject. I don't care if they are added or not, this game is lacking depth, little things that make me feel part of the world. It's all about this goal and that goal, the sims may not have time for toddlers in the game, personally I am losing interest in the game play. I just decorate and post pictures, eventually that will end for me too.

I couldn't care less if I tried. LOL
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    steve7859 wrote: »

Some people just don't understand that that is impossible, I mean open world... NOT HAPPENING get over it, you have 2 options, go back for the sims 3 or wait untill the sims 5, just because some people are not satizfied because open world is missing doesn't give them the right to let the game die and screw everyone who still hopes for the game and likes it, don't like it, be patient and wait till next gen. PEACE!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    TOLKIEN wrote: »

Um, yeah, the Sims 4 sims are already incompetent parents even to the baby-object. Sometimes, my sims 4 sims don't even REACT to the CRYING/SCREAMING baby, even when the baby is in the same room as them. I have pictures to prove it in the family-thread, if you don't believe me. :pensive:

And these so-called emotions are just wonky. They go through them pretty fast, and don't even have lasting memories of life-changing events (like death, etc) for long. Sims 2 had better memories-system.

(She/her)
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    While I hope players who want toddlers get them it makes no difference to me. The game issues I have would not be fixed by adding them.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited January 2015
    It's deeper than that: The AI and Emotions are just wonky.
    Then there's the incest with no family-tree issue.
    Then there's the almost mandatory goals in the game.
    Just...no.

The incest bug actually isn't directly related to the family tree, simple adding a family tree won't fix it - it needs to be fixed directly as an issue (so it could be overlooked if they just slap a family tree in otherwise) and could be fixed in any patch.

Otherwise I've never heard a sim getting on with a parent or sibling (just cousins)...and besides maybe its not a mistake lol! In some states marrying a cousin is legal...not sure how it works in europe...but considering some of the french movies out there that are considered "high art"...well...

Most of the other issues like AI and emotions require some discussion/planning, somebody really needs to sit down and re-examine how they function. They are currently like robots with emotions BUT without human morals/consciousness/situational importance right now. Other issues like path finding however are strictly bad programming (like musical chairs - thats bad coding)