Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let it die

Comments

• nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    An open world IS better. I don't even know why people would take the position that they prefer it to be closed just because some game developing team had problems coding a video game. Plenty of game developers have no problems with putting HUGE open areas in their games and those are games that will still run on a broad spectrum of PC's, so that's not a valid excuse to me either. We sacrificed a ton of control by not having an open world in the sims. How can you honestly say that you don't mind not being able to control multiple sims doing multiple things in multiple areas of town anymore? That you like how it works now better... lol..
    ^THAT!

And to the people who think there will be Sims 5 if Sims 4 fails, well it was Rodiek himself who said quite contrary. I don't have a link at hand right now but I know I am not the only one who has read it.

EDIT: I just googled it and got way over 8.000 matches! So it's all over the internet.
    https://google.de/search?num=30&newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=rodiek+no+sims+5&oq=rodiek+no+sims+5&gs_l=hp.3...1409.8636.0.9012.17.17.0.0.0.0.311.1913.13j2j0j2.17.0.msedr...0...1c.1.60.hp..9.8.929.0.-SeK62LHt7U
    This is old news because the Sims 4 has already sold more than 1.5 million copies and that is even physical DVDs only. So the Sims 4 didn't fail at all even if people stopped buying it now. Therefore there is no reason at all to assume that EA won't start making the Sims 5 in a few months. they almost certainly will.

That doesn't mean that they already will decide all the details about the Sims 5 though because they will review and change details and plans many times as usual before they have the final version of the game. So the reception of the game packs for the new game packs will of course also among other things influence what kind of game the Sims 5 will be. But the game will be designed and unless something unexpected happens it will also be released in something like 2019.
    Yup. TS5 is going to be all about which EPs sell, so here's to fans on both sides putting (or keeping) their money where their mouths are. :smirk:
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    An open world IS better. I don't even know why people would take the position that they prefer it to be closed just because some game developing team had problems coding a video game. Plenty of game developers have no problems with putting HUGE open areas in their games and those are games that will still run on a broad spectrum of PC's, so that's not a valid excuse to me either. We sacrificed a ton of control by not having an open world in the sims. How can you honestly say that you don't mind not being able to control multiple sims doing multiple things in multiple areas of town anymore? That you like how it works now better... lol..
    ^THAT!

And to the people who think there will be Sims 5 if Sims 4 fails, well it was Rodiek himself who said quite contrary. I don't have a link at hand right now but I know I am not the only one who has read it.

EDIT: I just googled it and got way over 8.000 matches! So it's all over the internet.
    https://google.de/search?num=30&newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=rodiek+no+sims+5&oq=rodiek+no+sims+5&gs_l=hp.3...1409.8636.0.9012.17.17.0.0.0.0.311.1913.13j2j0j2.17.0.msedr...0...1c.1.60.hp..9.8.929.0.-SeK62LHt7U
    This is old news because the Sims 4 has already sold more than 1.5 million copies and that is even physical DVDs only. So the Sims 4 didn't fail at all even if people stopped buying it now. Therefore there is no reason at all to assume that EA won't start making the Sims 5 in a few months. they almost certainly will.

That doesn't mean that they already will decide all the details about the Sims 5 though because they will review and change details and plans many times as usual before they have the final version of the game. So the reception of the game packs for the new game packs will of course also among other things influence what kind of game the Sims 5 will be. But the game will be designed and unless something unexpected happens it will also be released in something like 2019.

In 4 months time and with massive sales.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    So I've decided I'm no longer going to support this game. I will not be buying any game packs or expansion packs until we get some sort of clarification on toddlers and all things missing. I want some sort of sign of faith or hope about where the future of this game lies before I can even think of spending another dime on this company. But I know deep down we wont ever get that, and even then I still might not.

This is how many of us feel about this game. One reason they need to show good faith as some of us have waited it out to find out, is when Graham said toddlers would be a priority for The Sims 4 team, that doesn't seem to be panning out. If it wasn't going to be it would have been better to just tell people upfront forget about it, but stringing customers along is really bad practice.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    What's the next thing we should do? Laugh at the upcoming Game Pack sales number? I sure do.

How many sales do you guys think it would have? A couple thousand?
    Jimil wrote: »
    What's the next thing we should do? Laugh at the upcoming Game Pack sales number? I sure do.

I dunno. It's a decent idea so for those who like the game as is, I reckon they'll be buying it. I would assume it would sell in the hundred thousands.

Time will tell, the other day on the Twitter they had 152 comments and 322 likes. that's a pretty small number don't you think for an ad about the new game pack for a brand new game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I have to say something about storming to the defense of a game with banners held high. The banner has the word potential printed in bold letters.

Potential is only viable if it is achieved. I didn't pay 60.00 for potential. I paid 60.00 for a finished product....i.e. a base game. Only time will tell if the "potential" of this game is utilized.

What some people fail to understand is that there are things about this game that potential, achieved or not, isn't going to change. It's the basic playability of the game. The hand holding, the scripted play, the pop ups and the "do this to get that" play make it a grind to play.....not something enjoyable.

There is also the argument that this is just a base game.

Before TS4 arrived I installed just the base game of both TS2 and 3. I wanted to prepare myself for base game shock. You know...the feeling that you have played a completed, full of content game and suddenly you have a vanilla, comparably empty base game. I was able to play, and enjoy both. They didn't have to live up to potential, the playability was there.

If you are happy with the base game and find it enjoyable....great....have at it and have a good time. It's wonderful and I'm happy for you.

This game has disappointed all types of players. It's disappointed the family players, it's disappointed the sandbox players and it's disappointed the players who expected a better AI.

If you're happy with the game great. I and many others aren't. I wanted to love this game and after trying and trying I don't.

Maybe I just expected more. Maybe I wanted it to actually live up to what was advertised.

I'm sorry you're disappointed. But if you have truly given up on Sims 4, why continue to express your disappointment as opposed to just going quietly into the night? I'm not saying that you shouldn't express your opinion, I am just asking why continue to talk about it if it will not change? If you haven't given up on Sims 4 and are expressing disappointment in the hopes that they will fix it, that I can understand.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • MAFEBISIMAFEBISI Posts: 160 Member
    So I've decided I'm no longer going to support this game. I will not be buying any game packs or expansion packs until we get some sort of clarification on toddlers and all things missing. I want some sort of sign of faith or hope about where the future of this game lies before I can even think of spending another dime on this company. But I know deep down we wont ever get that, and even then I still might not.

You're right! I bought the Standard Edition and i'll buy the Upgrade to Digital Deluxe only when the contents that were taken (toddlers, family tree, vehicles, "et cetera") coming back in a free update. I will not pay for something that is in The Sims 3 or The Sims 2 base games.
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member

I dunno. It's a decent idea so for those who like the game as is, I reckon they'll be buying it. I would assume it would sell in the hundred thousands.
    I think that would be too much and find it unlikely but not impossible. It's not even an EP and nowhere near as special atm.
    Cinebar wrote: »

Time will tell, the other day on the Twitter they had 152 comments and 322 likes. that's a pretty small number don't you think for an ad about the new game pack for a brand new game.
    That is so grim. Video games' twitters were never that reliable anyway. Either some of its customers don't really care about visiting that site or this game has really gone downhill.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I have to say something about storming to the defense of a game with banners held high. The banner has the word potential printed in bold letters.

Potential is only viable if it is achieved. I didn't pay 60.00 for potential. I paid 60.00 for a finished product....i.e. a base game. Only time will tell if the "potential" of this game is utilized.

What some people fail to understand is that there are things about this game that potential, achieved or not, isn't going to change. It's the basic playability of the game. The hand holding, the scripted play, the pop ups and the "do this to get that" play make it a grind to play.....not something enjoyable.

Before TS4 arrived I installed just the base game of both TS2 and 3. I wanted to prepare myself for base game shock. You know...the feeling that you have played a completed, full of content game and suddenly you have a vanilla, comparably empty base game. I was able to play, and enjoy both. They didn't have to live up to potential, the playability was there.

If you are happy with the base game and find it enjoyable....great....have at it and have a good time. It's wonderful and I'm happy for you.

This game has disappointed all types of players. It's disappointed the family players, it's disappointed the sandbox players and it's disappointed the players who expected a better AI.

If you're happy with the game great. I and many others aren't. I wanted to love this game and after trying and trying I don't.

Maybe I just expected more. Maybe I wanted it to actually live up to what was advertised.

I'm sorry you're disappointed. But if you have truly given up on Sims 4, why continue to express your disappointment as opposed to just going quietly into the night? I'm not saying that you shouldn't express your opinion, I am just asking why continue to talk about it if it will not change? If you haven't given up on Sims 4 and are expressing disappointment in the hopes that they will fix it, that I can understand.

Who said I gave up? I'm waiting for that "potential" to kick in.

All you have to do is look around the forum and see the players who love this franchise and want something better than what we got. If you don't express your feelings nothing is ever going to change. Any time I pay for something I have a right to express to a company if I am happy with what I got for my money. If I don't say what I think they are going to assume all is right with the world.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member

Whatever the number, one of them will not be mine.
    Until I know for certain that unless this game is going to end up at a suitable place for me, I am not purchasing any further content for it.
    To do so would be like putting lipstick on a pig. Lots of nice content will never make up for the fact that I feel the base game is fundamentally flawed and many things will not be changed regardless of the amount of new shinies I might buy and stick on it.

There will be a lot of people who do buy the GP because the base is so starved. They may feel like they've already dropped $60 on the base, what is $20 more to add to it? There are those who are perfectly content with the game as it stands. I'm not one and I haven't been since before release, though I did give it an honest try and still test it out occasionally.

Everyone has their breaking point. Some was the removal of open world, some was the non inclusion of CaSt, for some it is the lack of toddlers, or a family tree (which speaks to me about how they feel about the direction of this game). For some it is the ever-growing list of bugs and glitches. For some it is the patches that ruin the game.

Shoving a GP out before the bugs are fixed is bad. Those things, at the very least, need to be addressed before more potentially glitchy content is released into the game.

Personally, I would appreciate an honest conversation from the gurus about the final destination of this game. I want to know upfront if I am just waiting around in hopes for changes that they've no intention of making.
    I think that the reason that you talk about your disappointment as a consumer is to evoke change. That is not going to happen if you sit and do nothing. If you do that, and just settle, you deserve what you get. You also have to keep it on the table so there is no chance of it to be forgotten by EA. EA needs to know what is wrong with the product. The video does a nice job of pointing a good share of those things out. People care about this franchise.
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited January 2015
    MAFEBISI wrote: »
    ^THAT!

And you believe that? If The Sims will over, Maxis will not last just with SimCity. SimCity sold less than expected when released, but they released the "Buildit" for smartphones. What he said was a "trick" to make us buy The Sims 4. #Waiting4TheSims5
    Yes I believe it. EA is business and as such they do not hesitate to pull the plug if the sales figures are below their minimum expectations. The "suits" have no emotional relationship to this game as we do. For them it's just another product which has to make profit.

This space is for rent.

Whatever the number, one of them will not be mine.
    Until I know for certain that unless this game is going to end up at a suitable place for me, I am not purchasing any further content for it.
    To do so would be like putting lipstick on a pig. Lots of nice content will never make up for the fact that I feel the base game is fundamentally flawed and many things will not be changed regardless of the amount of new shinies I might buy and stick on it.

There will be a lot of people who do buy the GP because the base is so starved. They may feel like they've already dropped $60 on the base, what is $20 more to add to it? There are those who are perfectly content with the game as it stands. I'm not one and I haven't been since before release, though I did give it an honest try and still test it out occasionally.

Everyone has their breaking point. Some was the removal of open world, some was the non inclusion of CaSt, for some it is the lack of toddlers, or a family tree (which speaks to me about how they feel about the direction of this game). For some it is the ever-growing list of bugs and glitches. For some it is the patches that ruin the game.

Shoving a GP out before the bugs are fixed is bad. Those things, at the very least, need to be addressed before more potentially glitchy content is released into the game.

Personally, I would appreciate an honest conversation from the gurus about the final destination of this game. I want to know upfront if I am just waiting around in hopes for changes that they've no intention of making.

For me family tree is huge deal. I am a strange player. In my games I set up the entire neighborhoods with my own Sims. I may leave a few of Maxis Sims for extras. But I am a generational/rotational player. I plan marriages before Sims are born. lol I also plan out who will get with who later, and or if at all. I play characters but if they have kids then I plan out their lives, if they will go to college or not, or get a job, and a family tree is important so they never marry a cousin, and or so I can remember who is their great grandfather a few years later in real life when I go back to play that household etc. This is all very important to players like me, and leaving it out just shows this game Doesn't Really Support Rotational, Generational Players, and that is such a false ad that it does with family tree no more important than telling me to scribble it on paper.
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    I think that the reason that you talk about your disappointment as a consumer is to evoke change. That is not going to happen if you sit and do nothing. If you do that, and just settle, you deserve what you get. You also have to keep it on the table so there is no chance of it to be forgotten by EA. EA needs to know what is wrong with the product. The video does a nice job of pointing a good share of those things out. People care about this franchise.

Ok, but then why do people who are disappointed keep coming into threads where we want to talk about what's right with the game and trying to derail them? EA needs to know what is wrong with the product, but EA also needs to know what is right with the product. And what's right for one customer may not be right for another customer. And some discussions we want to have with other Simmers, not just EA. If you want to know why the positive simmers feel ignored, for one thing it is because our threads are constantly being moved to the Feedback section, but we don't see that with the negative feedback threads staying in General Discussion.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    edited January 2015
    @Jessa_Dakkar - all good points. I won't be in those numbers either, at least for years to come (assuming TS4 were to fix what fails in years from now). I think TS4 has a lot of breaking points and largely because of it's unshared 'vision'.

When they advertised the game, they attracted both the TS2 and TS3 camps and these are two different games which umbrella a myriad of player-types. I think a lot of us suspected a merge that would bring both camps together, but when the game came out and we all saw that this was nothing of the sort... then EA starting spouting 'vision' nonsense but never really explaining what this vision was; I think that is where breaking points were reached.

Does EA's vision exclude TS2 family play for TS3 world adventures linear play? Does EA's vision exclude TS3 customisation for TS2 gigs and gigs of individually coloured packages of the same CC? Does EA's vision exclude TS2 and TS3 life stages for TS1 baby to child stage forever? Who knows... right? But for those who want family play, customisation, full life stages, etc... being left in the dark with only promises that whatever is coming is just going to cost more--well, that's enough to motivate them to give up on this game and let it die.
    MAFEBISI wrote: »
    ^THAT!

And you believe that? If The Sims will over, Maxis will not last just with SimCity. SimCity sold less than expected when released, but they released the "Buildit" for smartphones. What he said was a "trick" to make us buy The Sims 4. #Waiting4TheSims5
    Yes I believe it. EA is business and as such they do not hesitate to pull the plug if the sales figures are below their minimum expectations. The "suits" have no emotional relationship to this game as we do. For them it's just another product which has to make profit.

I agree with that too. However I also believe that selling the sims franchise will still bring in a profitable amount of money.

I've asked this myself, but now that I'm on the other side of the fence I realize why. I want it to change, and I can't change anything by staying silent.

If you still want it to change, and believe it can change, you haven't given up on it completely. You still see its potential, whether you are playing the game now or not.
  • CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    I imagine the GP will sell fairly well just for the simple fact that people are starved for content.

Exactly. People are sour about wasting money on a game that doesn't entertain them so buying new content might ease that. It's a no win situation though because those who do buy it will start to regret spending more money on it than they originally did.

It's a bit like that for me. I'm disappointed that the game can't hold my attention and i'm craving something to make it fun for me. That's where the temptation comes for OR. At the same time I know EA don't deserve anymore of my money and should have made a base game entertaining enough to stand alone without having to buy more content to make it worth playing.

I know paying for extra content is the name of the game, i'm not complaining about that. If we had a decent base game i'd be excited about the prospect of adding extras to it to really flesh it out. I love the idea of going camping and i'd buy it in an instant if the base game was a worthy starting point. As it is now, it kind of just feels like putting a pretty dress on a pig.

Ok, but then why do people who are disappointed keep coming into threads where we want to talk about what's right with the game and trying to derail them? EA needs to know what is wrong with the product, but EA also needs to know what is right with the product. And what's right for one customer may not be right for another customer. And some discussions we want to have with other Simmers, not just EA. If you want to know why the positive simmers feel ignored, for one thing it is because our threads are constantly being moved to the Feedback section, but we don't see that with the negative feedback threads staying in General Discussion.

That is subjective.

• FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member

I've asked this myself, but now that I'm on the other side of the fence I realize why. I want it to change, and I can't change anything by staying silent.

Exactly. EA should actually be grateful that we are prepared to engage with them and give up our time to tell them what we like and don't like about their product. For many of us it would be easier to just keep quiet and walk away. I'm sure that many purchasers have done just that.

That is subjective.

Ok, name one positive thread that hasn't been subject to a derail attempt and/or moved to Feedback quickly.

That is subjective.

Ok, name one positive thread that hasn't been subject to a derail attempt and/or moved to Feedback quickly.

No, because I am not going to derail this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top