Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The surface Pro 3

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    ViresseViresse Posts: 14 New Member
    This is probably a foolish question, but since I don't know the answer and need the answer I'm asking anyways ...

Do you have to use the mouse to play the game on your surface?

I'd also be interested to know how it does with EPs, did you run Sims 3 on it at all, and if so how did it do with EPs (also assuming you ran any of them).
  • Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited January 2015
    It's nice to hear that it's working with your *ahem* "computer"
    I would say that it's more like a "power-tablet" than PC :D
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • Options
    cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    Gary Byrne wrote: »
    > @ceejay402 said:<br />
    > hey Kathy090660 please know this is not advisable but if you do keep the game installed please dont add any EPs, DLCs - this is taxing to the system and though it may seem stable now it could/should harm the system<br />
    > <br />
    <br />
    What are you on about you crackpot. The Surface Pro 3 is a POWER PC... why give someone awful advice before even knowing what you are talking about. He/she may have not went and took full advantage of a game they purchased just because of someone that doesn't know anything about computers.

Gaming on a tablet.....
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • Options
    Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    edited January 2015
    .....Well.....Ceejay's saying it isn't advisable...This is true....It's a *power pc*, sure...the integrated chip it bears, however, is the issue. Integrated cards can never be recommended as sufficient for graphical games of any kind. In a desktop or even a laptop, gameplay with an integrated card can actually usually be *fairly safe* as long as proper cooling is supplied, but the moment any graphical issues are displayed is the time to know the laptop pr desktop is being overstressed. This issue is exacerbated with the Surface Pro. It is a tablet and therefore cooling has sort of been pushed under the bus. It is not designed for heavy graphics such as the ones games like the Sims series will exert onto the system. Ik you are hellbent on playing the game on your tablet. Just please don't keep the settings too high and let your tablet cool from time to time while playing. I'd seriously prefer for your tablet to not be burnt to a crisp. And as Ceejay has stated expansions and stuff packs tend to increase the load. Just don't get too reckless.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Microsoft ...

The tablet that can replace your laptop.

The review I read ...

While the new Surface Pro 3 is Microsoft's best PC to date, it's more successful as a tablet than a laptop replacement.

Also, I love the car analogy!
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    playing games on a computer with a system resource hog like Windows 8 with 128GB ssd system drive WILL have problems (eventually). As you install and uninstall applications and/or drivers and the Windows operating system itself leave orphaned files behind (updates, etc) that will eventually consume free space on your system drive. This is not even considering the page file and other buffers used by the operating system. But the computer is new and time will tell. You may be ok now but as demands grow (size of virtual memory, size of temp files, etc). But if it works for you - great.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    panton41panton41 Posts: 27 Member
    edited July 2015
    Windows 8.1 uses fewer resources then Windows 7. Windows 8.1 uses fewer resources than Windows 8. Windows 10 uses fewer still. Windows 8.1 32-bit can run decently on a system with 16GB of storage and 1 GB of RAM (64-bit needs 2GB of RAM). Even Windows XP SP3 would struggle to do that. I'd hardly call modern Windows a "resource hog" even compared to up-to-date Android or iOS.

Also, the modern Intel HD Graphics are actually pretty decent and some models (Iris Pro) are faster than most low-end and even mid-range discrete graphics. There's a reason Apple doesn't use discrete graphics on a large part of their product line, Intel's graphics got just as good. Pretty much any Intel HD Graphics post-Sandy Bridge is more than capable of playing Sims 4 on decent settings.

The Surface Pro 3 is fine for running a game like The Sims 4. The Sims 4 was designed to run on piece-of-s*** Atom netbooks from 2004, I'd imagine a Core i5 of any model is more than fast enough to play it. I swear The Sims 4 could run on a toaster if it had a USB port. I've played significantly higher-end games than Sims 4 (like The Secret World and Kerbal Space Program) on my Surface Pro 3 with no problems other than having to turn settings down.
  • Options
    panton41panton41 Posts: 27 Member
    Bob007 is an idiot. You don't need dedicated graphics memory. The DDR3 in the Surface Pro 3 is faster than the GDDR3 that graphics cards of the era that shipped with 128MB would have had. The Sims 4 has a minimum spec targeting the Atom netbooks from like 2004, I doubt a Core i7 of any type would have problems integrated graphics or not. Intel HD 5000 graphics are more than capable of playing fairly high end games, much less something as low-end as The Sims 4. Bob007 needs to get his talking points from this decade or simply stop giving advise.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Why are being rude and bumping an old thread?
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited July 2015
    panton41 wrote: »
    Bob007 is an idiot. You don't need dedicated graphics memory. The DDR3 in the Surface Pro 3 is faster than the GDDR3 that graphics cards of the era that shipped with 128MB would have had. The Sims 4 has a minimum spec targeting the Atom netbooks from like 2004, I doubt a Core i7 of any type would have problems integrated graphics or not. Intel HD 5000 graphics are more than capable of playing fairly high end games, much less something as low-end as The Sims 4. Bob007 needs to get his talking points from this decade or simply stop giving advise.
    I think someone has a fad with the surface pro.
    Bob doesn't need to stop giving advice, you need to stop being so Rude!

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member

So uncalled for.

You need a gaming laptop for the Sims.

Playing on integrated cards, including higher-end integrated cards, will eventually fry the computer.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Windows 8.1 uses fewer resources then Windows 7. Windows 8.1 uses fewer resources than Windows 8. Windows 10 uses fewer still. Windows 8.1 32-bit can run decently on a system with 16GB of storage and 1 GB of RAM (64-bit needs 2GB of RAM). Even Windows XP SP3 would struggle to do that. I'd hardly call modern Windows a "resource hog" even compared to up-to-date Android or iOS.

Also, the modern Intel HD Graphics are actually pretty decent and some models (Iris Pro) are faster than most low-end and even mid-range discrete graphics. There's a reason Apple doesn't use discrete graphics on a large part of their product line, Intel's graphics got just as good. Pretty much any Intel HD Graphics post-Sandy Bridge is more than capable of playing Sims 4 on decent settings.

The Surface Pro 3 is fine for running a game like The Sims 4. The Sims 4 was designed to run on piece-of-s*** Atom netbooks from 2004, I'd imagine a Core i5 of any model is more than fast enough to play it. I swear The Sims 4 could run on a toaster if it had a USB port. I've played significantly higher-end games than Sims 4 (like The Secret World and Kerbal Space Program) on my Surface Pro 3 with no problems other than having to turn settings down.

Playing on integrated cards, including higher-end integrated cards, will eventually fry the computer. The only gaming integrated card is Intel's Iris Pro, but that is meant for only light gaming.
  • Options

So uncalled for.

You need a gaming laptop for the Sims.

Playing on integrated cards, including higher-end integrated cards, will eventually fry the computer.
    You mean fry the "tablet" because that's basically what the surface is.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited July 2015

Surfaces can be made into a laptop if you hook those special keyboards to it. :D

It is really built to do basic tasks and app games. :p
  • Options

Surfaces can be made into a laptop if you hook those special keyboards to it. :D

It is really built to do basic tasks and app games. :p
    A laptop with no cooling :D they are rubbish for gaming. And anyone who recommends them for gaming needs to have their head examined.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I think someone has a fad with the surface pro.
    Bob doesn't need to stop giving advice, you need to stop being so Rude!

If this person trolling really has a surface pro and is playing the sims 4 on it I guess they dont care if they lose a $2000 tablet to overheating. Some people just have money to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 a way while you and I wait for the golden ticket :p
  • Options
    If this person trolling really has a surface pro and is playing the sims 4 on it I guess they dont care if they lose a $2000 tablet to overheating. Some people just have money to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 a way while you and I wait for the golden ticket :p

But I ate the golden ticket... >:)
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

But I ate the golden ticket... >:)

>:)
  • Options
    DaveMoeDeeDaveMoeDee Posts: 1 New Member
    There are two separate questions that are being discussed here:

1. Will playing Sims 4 on a Surface Pro 3 harm the device?

There is no reason to think it would hard the device. The SP3 aggressively throttles the CPU when it gets hot. While the SP3 fan is underpowered, the automatic throttling should keep the device from being damaged.

2. Will Sims 4 run decently on a Surface Pro 3?

The actual hardware is more than sufficient to run Sims 4. In fact, many people in this forum have already confirmed that they have good experiences playing Sims 4 on the SP4. Why are others speaking theoretically when multiple people have said it runs fine?

The gaming performance concern on a SP3 is the throttling of the CPU to keep temperatures down. Gaming is a long running activity and it is guaranteed that the CPU will get throttle. This means that performance will be lower after a few minutes of play. Since the i7 model is more than sufficient to play that game, I don't see why even throttling would be a problem is you adjust the video settings appropriately.

Due to superior heat dissipation, it is possible that Sims 4 could perform better on a Surface Pro 2 than on a Surface Pro 3. In order to make the SP3 more sexy, they used a thinner, quieter fan, pack components in more tightly, and made thermal throttling more aggressive.

It is not helpful to pretend there is a hard division between the tablet and PC categories. Tablet is just a form factor. It tells us little about the specific hardware apart from the reality that the hardware needs to be light and relatively thin. This is a major point Microsoft is banking on as they push an OS that can fully leverage the powerful underlying hardware on tablets as Intel rolls out more efficient CPUs with better graphics capabilities that cause less heat.
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    There are two separate questions that are being discussed here:

1. Will playing Sims 4 on a Surface Pro 3 harm the device?

There is no reason to think it would hard the device. The SP3 aggressively throttles the CPU when it gets hot. While the SP3 fan is underpowered, the automatic throttling should keep the device from being damaged.

2. Will Sims 4 run decently on a Surface Pro 3?

The actual hardware is more than sufficient to run Sims 4. In fact, many people in this forum have already confirmed that they have good experiences playing Sims 4 on the SP4. Why are others speaking theoretically when multiple people have said it runs fine?

The gaming performance concern on a SP3 is the throttling of the CPU to keep temperatures down. Gaming is a long running activity and it is guaranteed that the CPU will get throttle. This means that performance will be lower after a few minutes of play. Since the i7 model is more than sufficient to play that game, I don't see why even throttling would be a problem is you adjust the video settings appropriately.

Due to superior heat dissipation, it is possible that Sims 4 could perform better on a Surface Pro 2 than on a Surface Pro 3. In order to make the SP3 more sexy, they used a thinner, quieter fan, pack components in more tightly, and made thermal throttling more aggressive.

It is not helpful to pretend there is a hard division between the tablet and PC categories. Tablet is just a form factor. It tells us little about the specific hardware apart from the reality that the hardware needs to be light and relatively thin. This is a major point Microsoft is banking on as they push an OS that can fully leverage the powerful underlying hardware on tablets as Intel rolls out more efficient CPUs with better graphics capabilities that cause less heat.

> > > You Have Awakened An Old Thread < < <
    Tablets are weaker than laptops and laptops are weaker than desktops.
    All in one PCs are essentially as powerful as a static tablet.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    sydwilgirl23sydwilgirl23 Posts: 671 Member
    I'll stick with my used-of-been-Windows-8-now-Windows-7 crappy and laggy laptop rather than buying a new one.