Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the last update still jack saved games?

I heard that the last update has been ruining saved games so I've been holding off trying to play TS4 again.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Has there been any kind of hotfix?

Comments

• katakata Posts: 25 Member
    Not that I know of. They made a statement about it on Dec 30th, but haven't updated the page since. It even said "We will update this page as soon as we have any news regarding this problem."
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited January 2015
    So it still ruins saved games?

If that's the case, you know after all this nonsense about dumbing the game down for the sake of making it more stable, it would be a final farewell kiss to this franchise if I lose my current saved games.

Guess I'll keep waiting to play while they address it.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I have never had any problems with saving the game after Dec's update. :)
  • katakata Posts: 25 Member
    Yeah, well, if you meant the loading your save game issue, which I assumed you meant, it's only until they fix the problem I think. Or that's what everyone is hoping for. So if your save game goes corrupt, you would just have to set it aside until they fix it.

I think you should play regardless, it might not happen to you. I lost my first save game for the time being, but have played another one for a much longer time now and it's still fine.
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I have never had any problems with saving the game after Dec's update. :)

So you have saved games since that patch that you can open and play?

Trying to gauge whether its safe to update my game or not.

I'll just not play it and wait if there is even a remote possibility that I lose my current saved games.

kata wrote: »
    I think you should play regardless, it might not happen to you. I lost my first save game for the time being, but have played another one for a much longer time now and it's still fine.

Nonsense, I'll uninstall this game if I lose my saves.

• GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I have not had an issue Vlax, but some people have. So I would say if in doubt, wait ... unless there is a way to back-up the saves.
  • ArchDArchD Posts: 338 Member
    I've been able to open and save my two main files and several of my side projects since the December patch without an issue, including the huge save file where I control ~20 households. I did have an issue with that save file where a played house ended up in the sky ala Up minus the balloons, but it fixed itself after I moved the family out and back in again. I use several mods but no cc. Maybe it'd be safe if you back up your saves folder on your desktop, then load your game and give it a try? That way if it does corrupt your save, you'll have a backup that you can go back to.
    Gruffman wrote: »
    I have not had an issue Vlax, but some people have. So I would say if in doubt, wait ... unless there is a way to back-up the saves.

So you're still playing long time saves since before these patches?

Also, I love how people are soo willing to accept losing their saved games.

That's TS3 conditioning right there.

ArchD wrote: »
    I've been able to open and save my two main files and several of my side projects since the December patch without an issue, including the huge save file where I control ~20 households. I did have an issue with that save file where a played house ended up in the sky ala Up minus the balloons, but it fixed itself after I moved the family out and back in again. I use several mods but no cc. Maybe it'd be safe if you back up your saves folder on your desktop, then load your game and give it a try? That way if it does corrupt your save, you'll have a backup that you can go back to.

Thank you for this solid advice.

• AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    I'm still playing the save file I've had since the game came out. No issues for me, but if people are having issues (I wasn't aware), then that's scary. I always just copy my save folder and paste it onto the desktop so I can have a backup in case something goes wrong in my game. I only update the back up if I do something I'd be upset I lost.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    Gruffman wrote: »

So you're still playing long time saves since before these patches?

Also, I love how people are soo willing to accept losing their saved games.

That's TS3 conditioning right there.

I only have two saved games going, so far*knock on wood* both have been fine. Both saves were started before the last patch, both played since the patch put in. I would still say though, if in doubt, wait.

Starting over sucks.
  • SimSwim2SimSwim2 Posts: 2,481 Member
    I haven't had any problems with my saved games since the latest patch.
    Origin ID: StripedRainbow
  • SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    I don't even save my games :/ unfortunately last time I did my game wasn't there when I logged on the last time d'oh!
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    As a person that suffered some corruption of my save, I say hold off on playing.

Mine seemed fine at first, but then they stopped being able to clean up dishes. Then they weren't able to cook or grab leftovers from the fridge. Then they would all come home if I sent anyone off the lot while others were at school or work. Then it said half the family was still away when they were home and no matter what, even after fixing it, the next time I played it would be the same way. It all ultimately caused me to uninstall the game.

Sharing my story to, hopefully, save you from the stress of going through it.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2015
    I've must have said this like 5 times recently but I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that this happens in the 4th iteration of the game -- the game failing to actually save has never been an issue with any of the past games. How do you push a patch that ruins EVERY Sim's appearance to have a wide jaw and wide eyes? How do you release an update that ends up culling any Sim it wants?

Why do these developers have to cut so many corners to create a stable game?

Nnqkg.gif
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I've must have said this like 5 times recently but I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that this happens in the 4th iteration of the game -- the game failing to actually save has never been an issue with any of the past games. How do you push a patch that ruins EVERY Sim's appearance to have a wide jaw and wide eyes? How do you release an update that ends up culling any Sim it wants?

Nnqkg.gif

OT- but I heart Peggy so much!
  • chococat9chococat9 Posts: 948 Member
    Just make a backup of your saves and then update. If it screws up, you still have your saves. I haven't had that issue though. I've updated my game and am still playing on the same 2 saves I made when the game came out.
    fbb466ed-3c80-4341-94a8-f6b7439fcbce_zps74fe4b3c.jpg
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    I haven't played TS4 that much lately, but I when I have, I haven't run into any problems with my saves. I had the glitch occur that my Sims couldn't cook anything in the kitchen once. Quit the game, did a 'repair files' from Origin, and things have been working since then for me.

I wouldn't say stop playing altogether, but sure -- copy your 'saves' directory (from your 'MyDocuments\ElectronicArts\ . . . etc.) to a safe location. If things get messed up, restore the copy.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
    chococat9 wrote: »
    Just make a backup of your saves and then update. If it screws up, you still have your saves. I haven't had that issue though. I've updated my game and am still playing on the same 2 saves I made when the game came out.

That's just what I intend to do, thank you and ArchD for that advice.

Its about embarrassing that I didn't think to do that in the first place.

• Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Well, I popped into my game for a few minutes last night. I very quickly discovered I had the bug that prevented sims from using the refrigerator and stove. So I let a sim die for giggles and because he was too darned dumb to eat the nice, fresh produce in his inventory autonomously. I found out if they have a grill they can still use that, and I can tell you they can use the phone and order a pizza.. but they will starve themselves to death otherwise. If the wife and kid hadn't auto-greened hunger at work/school, they too would have kicked the bucket.

I repaired the game, once again, and the glitch seems to have disappeared though I have read from someone that it can keep coming back and you'll need to repair that save every time.

Not worth the hassle at this time.
    edited January 2015
    Well, I popped into my game for a few minutes last night. I very quickly discovered I had the bug that prevented sims from using the refrigerator and stove. So I let a sim die for giggles and because he was too darned dumb to eat the nice, fresh produce in his inventory autonomously. I found out if they have a grill they can still use that, and I can tell you they can use the phone and order a pizza.. but they will starve themselves to death otherwise. If the wife and kid hadn't auto-greened hunger at work/school, they too would have kicked the bucket.

I repaired the game, once again, and the glitch seems to have disappeared though I have read from someone that it can keep coming back and you'll need to repair that save every time.

Not worth the hassle at this time.

I'm mainly interested in finishing up my sire 100 children in a single life stage challenge.

I wanna go in and retrieve stuff like clips of the all the kids in their family portraits as well as taking a few more screen shots.

I think I left it at like birth 99 with around 10 more births in queue, got disinterested in TS4 and more interested in other games.

I know that I'm the kind of person though that if I don't put it together soon I never will and I definitely don't want to do it over.

It wasn't as fun as it may sound.

I just saved a copy of the entire saves folder on my second drive, I hope that works.

• AlmaMMAlmaMM Posts: 200 Member
    You know, you could always copy your file saves to a different folder, and if the game really jacks up your save file, you just replace the jacked save with the one you had copied?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2015
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Nnqkg.gif

OT- but I heart Peggy so much!

@Mstybl95 I agree! I don't want the show to end this Spring! :cry:
  • jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I haven't had any problems with saving but i always make a copy of my saved games after i stop playing, just to be sure.
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.