Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is a refund possible 4 months later?

I need to find out who I purchased the game from first of course, but at work at the moment so no way of checking. But does anyone know if it's possible to return the game so long after it was released based on it being faulty?

I haven't been able to play my game for a week now because of the houses failing to load so I'm starting to consider returning for a refund and going back to TS3.

Anyone have any personal experience with this?
Andrew - UK Fan and player of the Sims since the year 2000

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No, Because EA's EULA's always say 'As Is'.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Really? You need the money? You really uninstalled The Sims 3 to play only at The Sims 4?
  • EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    Sorry but you are out of luck. On the bright side, it does make a good coaster. B)
    hEFcp6z.gif
    edited January 2015
    Andrew060 wrote: »
    It's not about the money, it's about the principle. Why should I pay £38 for something that I can't play any more through no fault of my own? I have standards, sorry if you don't.

In that case, no buy Outdoor Retreat when come out
    But the point is when you accept EA's EULA's ( if you read them, many people don't) all their games come with a statement you understand you are leasing the game "As Is' with no promise to ever improve them. It's in pretty big letters and not hidden in any small print like some other contracts. But this one goes even farther than that, you are no longer able to transfer the license to anyone else, either, like in the other games. It's a one time license, and you are stuck with it. Legally, you can't even give it away as you could in the past. You agreed to all that when you hit the 'agree' button when you installed the game. And you agreed you would not enter in class action law suit, either. Something EA, and Ebay have been putting in their contracts for some years now, since they have both been sued in class action law suits in the past. EULAs are full interesting and enlightening information. ;)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    leo3487 wrote: »
    It's not about the money, it's about the principle. Why should I pay £38 for something that I can't play any more through no fault of my own? I have standards, sorry if you don't.

13207377128fd71cd6cf7d4b43f27c91b83672698e0c1ab5df16c71d2f60cde4.jpg
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • dixieangel550dixieangel550 Posts: 779 Member
    sorry but no. can't even return something to a store after that long.
    QPs2LMU.jpg
  • blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    It would be nice if they gave the option but those of us who bought the discs were stuck from day one. Origin has a 24 hour return policy, disc copies are yours forever. Really hoping we will get some feedback about bugs soon.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • sdhoeysdhoey Posts: 1,876 Member
    After you open it if purchased at a retailer, even with a receipt, all they will do is exchange it for the exact same thing.
  • Andrew060Andrew060 Posts: 281 Member
    edited January 2015
    Cinebar wrote: »
    But the point is when you accept EA's EULA's ( if you read them, many people don't) all their games come with a statement you understand you are leasing the game "As Is' with no promise to ever improve them. It's in pretty big letters and not hidden in any small print like some other contracts. But this one goes even farther than that, you are no longer able to transfer the license to anyone else, either, like in the other games. It's a one time license, and you are stuck with it. Legally, you can't even give it away as you could in the past. You agreed to all that when you hit the 'agree' button when you installed the game. And you agreed you would not enter in class action law suit, either. Something EA, and Ebay have been putting in their contracts for some years now, since they have both been sued in class action law suits in the past. EULAs are full interesting and enlightening information. ;)

Oooh, interesting stuff. My argument would be the game is no longer 'as is' (or should I be saying 'as it was?'). Previously I could play the game at least... now I can't even do that. It's unplayable due to their bug which they've not been able to fix in a reasonable time frame. *sigh*

Now you come to mention that, I think I did buy from a superstore here in the UK. Most stores have a 30 day return policy over here... but it just feels like as a gamer when your game breaks (because of the developers mistakes/incapabilities) you should have more rights.

Maybe not :-\
    but also you should wait... remember The Sims 3 had 67 patches
  • dixieangel550dixieangel550 Posts: 779 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Oooh, interesting stuff. My argument would be the game is no longer 'as is' (or should I be saying 'as it was?'). Previously I could play the game at least... now I can't even do that. It's unplayable due to their bug which they've not been able to fix in a reasonable time frame. *sigh*

Now you come to mention that, I think I did buy from a superstore here in the UK. Most stores have a 30 day return policy over here... but it just feels like as a gamer when your game breaks (because of the developers mistakes/incapabilities) you should have more rights.

Maybe not :-\

Sometimes though, stores will offer you a gift card to their store if it is after the end refund date.
    QPs2LMU.jpg
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Really? You need the money? You really uninstalled The Sims 3 to play only at The Sims 4?

And not really sure what this meaningless assumption is about me uninstalling TS3? I still have TS3 installed as I never uninstalled it. Any other criticisms you'd like me to answer?

Because that's the way it is. Actually, there are very few products you can return after four months. Software you normally can't return after you open it.

And yes, it's annoying that you can't. If a game doesn't run on your machine, if it has bugs that are game breaking, you're still SoL. It's part of the reason why some devs don't care about bugs so much -- they have your money.

EasyToRead wrote: »

Why?
    Do you want she lose, as her words, other 20 USD?
    edited January 2015
    but also you should wait... remember The Sims 3 had 67 patches

Very true - but you also have to take into account that the game is completely broken for some after just a few updates. 67 updates later I would expect TS4's future to include a hell of a lot more bugs, a lot more lag and those loading screens that originally took 30 seconds to load being as long as TS2's loading screens.
    EasyToRead wrote: »

Why?
    Do you want she lose, as her words, other 20 USD?
    It wasn't particularly relevant to what you were replying to. Again it wasn't about the money, it was about the principle. Obviously the OP wouldn't get the Game Pack if he or she wants a refund. That's how it came across to me but I understand if you didn't intend it to sound like that.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • faerieladyfaerielady Posts: 172 Member
    Its not an EA thing, its every software company... once it is opened up, it is yours forever. It doesn't matter if it is EA Games, Fireaxis, Blizzard, Microsoft, or whomever. Have you tried making sure all your drivers are up to date? Particularly the video and sound drivers. Have you tried calling tech support? You say it is broken... what exactly are you experiencing?
  • faerieladyfaerielady Posts: 172 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    ArenaNet gave refunds for gw2 for like a month after the fact because they knew they had an amazing product, but it was something different that you pretty much had to experience to get full grasp on. They wanted to give people a change to decide if they liked it or not, and they didn't want people to suffer for their mismanaged marketing. Unfortunately EA is nothing like ArenaNet.

Really? That is the 1st I had heard of a software company doing that. That is great!
  • juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    May be if you chat with the origin help chat, they can give you a code to download a new coppy (just guessing...) have you tryed the "repair game" thing?
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
    edited January 2015
    faerielady wrote: »
    Its not an EA thing, its every software company... once it is opened up, it is yours forever. It doesn't matter if it is EA Games, Fireaxis, Blizzard, Microsoft, or whomever. Have you tried making sure all your drivers are up to date? Particularly the video and sound drivers. Have you tried calling tech support? You say it is broken... what exactly are you experiencing?

The issue isn't anything to do with my PC, it's an issue with the game (see: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/Info-Request-Loading-family-just-loads-Map-again/m-p/4137583#U4137583)

I have spoken with EA livechat and they said they are aware of the problem, said it's something to do with the 'save game' (whatever that means) and are working on it.

I've also repaired the game, uninstalled it and reinstalled it to no joy. Same as others have done.
    faerielady wrote: »
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    ArenaNet gave refunds for gw2 for like a month after the fact because they knew they had an amazing product, but it was something different that you pretty much had to experience to get full grasp on. They wanted to give people a change to decide if they liked it or not, and they didn't want people to suffer for their mismanaged marketing. Unfortunately EA is nothing like ArenaNet.

Really? That is the 1st I had heard of a software company doing that. That is great!

Other game companies do it all the time. Big Fish Publishers will refund and or give you a free game of equal value anytime you are miserable. That's why people (casual gamers) love them. Their customer service is super to be honest. And why they get my Sims SP and GamePack money....lol because I know if I have a problem with a game and or them they will make it right.
  • katakata Posts: 25 Member
    I had the same problem just two weeks into the game and was actually kind of angry that they had sold me a faulty product like this. Burying that save game actually fixed the issue and I didn't know if I had grounds to get a refund or something like that (and I'm kind of lazy) so I didn't try to get one, but I completely know how you feel.

I was a little relieved when Maxis made an official statement that they are aware of the issue and looking into it, but nothing has been said or done since...