Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks, guys, for the mod suggestions. Though I would like to use them, I fear they may become outdated by the time other patches, gps and eps, etc, get released.

I treat the sims like a more interactive ant-farm or sea monkeys.

I treat sims games like city builders, God games or other simulation-like games, like Tropico, Startopia, Children of the Nile, etc. I would sometimes control or urge or force characters to do stuff sometimes, but I like to sit back and watch the AI at work, especially if I need to take care of something else happening elsewhere in the game. It's what I loved about sims 2 and sims 3 (especially with sims 3 openworld, where you can switch quickly between sims no matter where, etc).
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I found the first video I viewed of what else happens when free will is done: https://youtube.com/watch?v=nSMEEX9kHjA I'm happy the child didn't die in it. No babies were made in it since it was a full household, sorry and game crashed by the end of the video. XD

I watched this and it made me sad. I don't get 'smarter sims' from this...
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I found the first video I viewed of what else happens when free will is done: https://youtube.com/watch?v=nSMEEX9kHjA I'm happy the child didn't die in it. No babies were made in it since it was a full household, sorry and game crashed by the end of the video. XD

Me either. XD Aww I'm sorry it made you sad. I was trying to share it to make people laugh at the commentary in it.

“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

Me either. XD Aww I'm sorry it made you sad. I was trying to share it to make people laugh at the commentary in it.
    The commentary is pretty funny yes, it's the underlying hopelessness that this game gives me sometimes! ;)

The commentary is pretty funny yes, it's the underlying hopelessness that this game gives me sometimes! ;)
    Yeah I know. I tried mentioning this in another thread about the lack of caring between Sims, but I think it will fall to deaf ears especially it is one of those threads that is like unless you say what you love about the game, you aren't allowed to post here. So I took the chance and posted my pros and cons comparing all four bases. I was actually able to find quite a bit and guess I should copy and past my post over to here. I'm just glad this thread is open for everyone.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

Yeah I know. I tried mentioning this in another thread about the lack of caring between Sims, but I think it will fall to deaf ears especially it is one of those threads that is like unless you say what you love about the game, you aren't allowed to post here. So I took the chance and posted my pros and cons comparing all four bases. I was actually able to find quite a bit and guess I should copy and past my post over to here. I'm just glad this thread is open for everyone.

Feel free to share here honey, we welcome all sensible feedback that relates to family play elements :)
    This is just part of the post:

I think it was Ana that mentioned "using the move objects on in a Sim and rotating them around another Sim the eyes followed, but in TS4 they didn't. So it's like the Sims were coded without eye contact with each other. Just looking at the child life stage, children used to be able to care for their baby siblings in TS1. If they fail in school, they aren't taken away forever in TS2 and TS3 like they are in TS1 and TS4. They can't bring friends home from school in TS4 like they could in TS2 and TS3. TS2 and TS3 had the little toy oven for children to interact and swing set for them to swing and be pushed by other Sims. TS3 children were able to visit lots and have sleepovers on their own.

Now about the other life stages. Babies have gone back to the TS1 route in being constrained into a bassinet. Teens and young adults are the same height as adults. There aren't any babysitters to come over when your adults go to work. There is no social worker to take your kids away, but game deletes them never to be seen again. There isn't a curfew or acne anymore. No private school or military school. No more high chairs. Having no family trees is a huge problem especially when it allows incest between family members. It's also kind of sad how my Simmers can't react to major life events. Like it only takes two days for a Sim to miss their spouse before they move on.

The emotional deaths make it too easy to kill off Sims. If you Sim is goofy they can easily be murdered by another Sims with a few jokes. If an Elder Sim woohoos with another Sims a few times, they die. If Sims are too angry they die as well."

Bunny "tried to see how long a father would take to care of their baby and the father kept ignoring the baby. For a game that claims to have smarter Sims, I'm sadly finding them with the IQ less than TS1. But like I mentioned before, mods are helping me a lot, so I have more freedom in my game. I can move on in my career with having to grind quests to move on."

I think it was Ana that mentioned "using the move objects on in a Sim and rotating them around another Sim the eyes followed, but in TS4 they didn't. So it's like the Sims were coded without eye contact with each other. Just looking at the child life stage, children used to be able to care for their baby siblings in TS1. If they fail in school, they aren't taken away forever in TS2 and TS3 like they are in TS1 and TS4. They can't bring friends home from school in TS4 like they could in TS2 and TS3. TS2 and TS3 had the little toy oven for children to interact and swing set for them to swing and be pushed by other Sims. TS3 children were able to visit lots and have sleepovers on their own.

Now about the other life stages. Babies have gone back to the TS1 route in being constrained into a bassinet. Teens and young adults are the same height as adults. There aren't any babysitters to come over when your adults go to work. There is no social worker to take your kids away, but game deletes them never to be seen again. There isn't a curfew or acne anymore. No private school or military school. No more high chairs. Having no family trees is a huge problem especially when it allows incest between family members. It's also kind of sad how my Simmers can't react to major life events. Like it only takes two days for a Sim to miss their spouse before they move on.

The emotional deaths make it too easy to kill off Sims. If you Sim is goofy they can easily be murdered by another Sims with a few jokes. If an Elder Sim woohoos with another Sims a few times, they die. If Sims are too angry they die as well."

Bunny "tried to see how long a father would take to care of their baby and the father kept ignoring the baby. For a game that claims to have smarter Sims, I'm sadly finding them with the IQ less than TS1. But like I mentioned before, mods are helping me a lot, so I have more freedom in my game. I can move on in my career with having to grind quests to move on."

Those are all very good points and contrary to the 'smarter sims' advertising they used :( so sad! Oh I wish EA would listen. You couldn't get a more passionate, loving response to a huge mistake they've made. It's not like people here are unwilling to work with them to rescue things so I cannot imagine why they insist on being so closed minded :(

Those are all very good points and contrary to the 'smarter sims' advertising they used :( so sad! Oh I wish EA would listen. You couldn't get a more passionate, loving response to a huge mistake they've made. It's not like people here are unwilling to work with them to rescue things so I cannot imagine why they insist on being so closed minded :(
    It just gets tiring hearing the response oh it will be in an EP or GP. I guess I should stop stalking forums and work on my Madea Sim still. I still have plants vs zombies toddlers to work on too.

It just gets tiring hearing the response oh it will be in an EP or GP. I guess I should stop stalking forums and work on my Madea Sim still. I still have plants vs zombies toddlers to work on too.

The trouble is the moment we leave the forums is the very moment we will cease to be represented or recognised at all with EA ever. They can excuse sales suffering by saying everyone is tired of the sims. Instead of the very obvious reasons we discuss here that the sims can be rescued if EA puts a proper plan to turn it around with sufficient funding and a clear objective to get their hands dirty and start with digging at grass level with the rest of us.
  • blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    edited January 2015
    We don't even have decent grass at grass level ;_;
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
    We don't even have decent grass at grass level ;_;

Bahahaha! Oh dear lol.

Seriously though I really do believe in every one of you! And the heartfelt please to be heard.

If EA doesn't appreciate you for how wonderful you are you can bet I do :)
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited January 2015
    Hello @Scobre your frustration is understandable. Apart from a deep love of the sims and fellow simmers here on this thread two things sustain me.

I will not allow a large corporation to take money from me and thousands like me and then have the audacity to fob us off with an inferior product.

And secondly as Sparkfairy says the minute we shut up shop then the company will forget us. This isn't right. We are customers and what company chucks away such loyal customers and the profit they bring to the business.

People get tired which is understandable given the continuing silence from EA. However by banding together we can support one another through these moments.

Sparkfairy has done something unique here. This is a tremendous effort to show EA exactly how we feel about things that matter to us. Without this thread many of us would have lost hope and walked.

So as a fellow simmer who wants her game back is there anything I can do to help you :) I tell the corniest jokes :)
    Post edited by Bettyboop55 on
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • trollnexustrollnexus Posts: 508 Member
    Hello :) I've read as many of these pages as I could, but gosh you folks are active! Just when I think I've got 50 pages left, another 10 are created :D@sparkfairy1‌ has created something beautiful here, and I hope to see it continue to grow.

I myself am a family player, but it's only recently that I've realized this. Every time I start up TS3, I tell myself, "I'm going to make a character, she's going to date around, and she won't have any children until later on in the Adult stage!" But after one or at most two relationships, she already starts wishing to move in with her love, and sometimes the mod-that-cannot-be-named gives her a surprise baby! Then I throw all these date plans out the window and cooing over the baby, trying to give the child the best in life. My current sim has four kids, only one of which was planned XD But she loves them all the same, and her husband loves them, too, even though the first one was not biologically his. (They're both on their second marriage.) So I guess my version of family play is a little weird, but I still enjoy it :D

As for TS4, I was one of those people who were excited for it from the beginning. I devoured every tiny bit of info they released, preordered it, and couldn't sleep sometimes, just thinking about how awesome it would be to have emotions and multitasking. I wasn't very active on forums, so I had no idea about the toddlers, but even when I heard about it, I thought, "Toddlers are tiring anyway. It's no biggie."

Then the game came out. My best friend was in heaven right away, since she's a builder...well, until she realized there was no CASt, but that was later on. ("Grrr! I just want curtains that match the bed!!!") I don't think she's even aware of any other issues, to be honest, because she's never in Live Mode.

But for me...well, I made sim versions of my boyfriend and me, back when we just had the CAS demo. So I played us. I gave him the comedian-related LTW, and I gave myself something family-related. We had three or four kids, who all happened to be girls. I was alright with no toddlers, expecting that I'll at least enjoy the other life stages.

But no. I never reached teen stage with any of the children, because all the requirements drove me nuts. ("You have to show up to school energized!" Well, alright, but I keep forgetting to send them to a shower! Darn it! And don't get me started on those kid aspirations.) I just couldn't stand all the goals; it was hard to explore the world when I constantly had to worry about fulfilling this thing and that thing. School/work, aspiration, etc. It became even more boring and stressful than my college math homework. I wish you could turn all those goal things OFF.

What really killed me, though, was no story progression. The thought of having to do all these goal things for every single family made me finally close the game in horror.

I mean, alright. So TS3 had a gazillion flaws that required Nraas or other great modders to step in and fix it. But at least they were fixable, even if EA itself refused to do it. Do you know the joy I got when I went out on the town and saw Beau Merrick carrying his toddler daughter? That's part of family play for me--seeing some continuity, seeing the town around me grow with my family.

But TS4 doesn't have that magic. I want Story Progression back, even if it's optional (and actually, having it be optional would be great, so that rotational players can enjoy not having people age/flirt out of their control). I want people to at least get married and have kids on their own, even if not the career stuff. I want to be surprised with a grandkid or great-grandkid, and I want to go out and visit the new baby and coo over that one, too. I got mad when someone told me to just "do it myself," because I don't want to deal with all these families; I want to give my full attention to mine.

I personally don't expect to get anything I want, though, and I'll never see the return of those $60. But! I will support you folks, because you at least deserve a definitive answer. Even if it's just "no," since you deserve closure. You deserve to be able to move on to what you love without a second glance at this mess. It's literally the very least they can do for you.

I'm sorry about this long-winded way of saying "I support you!" XD *goes back to lurking*
    trollnexus wrote: »
    Hello :) I've read as many of these pages as I could, but gosh you folks are active! Just when I think I've got 50 pages left, another 10 are created :D@sparkfairy1‌ has created something beautiful here, and I hope to see it continue to grow.

I myself am a family player, but it's only recently that I've realized this. Every time I start up TS3, I tell myself, "I'm going to make a character, she's going to date around, and she won't have any children until later on in the Adult stage!" But after one or at most two relationships, she already starts wishing to move in with her love, and sometimes the mod-that-cannot-be-named gives her a surprise baby! Then I throw all these date plans out the window and cooing over the baby, trying to give the child the best in life. My current sim has four kids, only one of which was planned XD But she loves them all the same, and her husband loves them, too, even though the first one was not biologically his. (They're both on their second marriage.) So I guess my version of family play is a little weird, but I still enjoy it :D

As for TS4, I was one of those people who were excited for it from the beginning. I devoured every tiny bit of info they released, preordered it, and couldn't sleep sometimes, just thinking about how awesome it would be to have emotions and multitasking. I wasn't very active on forums, so I had no idea about the toddlers, but even when I heard about it, I thought, "Toddlers are tiring anyway. It's no biggie."

Then the game came out. My best friend was in heaven right away, since she's a builder...well, until she realized there was no CASt, but that was later on. ("Grrr! I just want curtains that match the bed!!!") I don't think she's even aware of any other issues, to be honest, because she's never in Live Mode.

But for me...well, I made sim versions of my boyfriend and me, back when we just had the CAS demo. So I played us. I gave him the comedian-related LTW, and I gave myself something family-related. We had three or four kids, who all happened to be girls. I was alright with no toddlers, expecting that I'll at least enjoy the other life stages.

But no. I never reached teen stage with any of the children, because all the requirements drove me nuts. ("You have to show up to school energized!" Well, alright, but I keep forgetting to send them to a shower! Darn it! And don't get me started on those kid aspirations.) I just couldn't stand all the goals; it was hard to explore the world when I constantly had to worry about fulfilling this thing and that thing. School/work, aspiration, etc. It became even more boring and stressful than my college math homework. I wish you could turn all those goal things OFF.

What really killed me, though, was no story progression. The thought of having to do all these goal things for every single family made me finally close the game in horror.

I mean, alright. So TS3 had a gazillion flaws that required Nraas or other great modders to step in and fix it. But at least they were fixable, even if EA itself refused to do it. Do you know the joy I got when I went out on the town and saw Beau Merrick carrying his toddler daughter? That's part of family play for me--seeing some continuity, seeing the town around me grow with my family.

But TS4 doesn't have that magic. I want Story Progression back, even if it's optional (and actually, having it be optional would be great, so that rotational players can enjoy not having people age/flirt out of their control). I want people to at least get married and have kids on their own, even if not the career stuff. I want to be surprised with a grandkid or great-grandkid, and I want to go out and visit the new baby and coo over that one, too. I got mad when someone told me to just "do it myself," because I don't want to deal with all these families; I want to give my full attention to mine.

I personally don't expect to get anything I want, though, and I'll never see the return of those $60. But! I will support you folks, because you at least deserve a definitive answer. Even if it's just "no," since you deserve closure. You deserve to be able to move on to what you love without a second glance at this mess. It's literally the very least they can do for you.

I'm sorry about this long-winded way of saying "I support you!" XD *goes back to lurking*

Aww @trollnexus‌ you honestly just made me cry. Today I'm feeling so useless and hopeless about all this and then you show up and show me that I can have faith in humanity and other people very much care about others even if the people at EA can't even seem to conjure up some compassion and show it to us despite being asked.

I've put my heart and soul into this. EA you may not understand that our brand of criticism is constructive and from a place of love but that's your loss. We deserve so much better and if they continue to refuse to engage it's also their loss financially and to this wonderful community WE created. I feel sorry for everyone in the community for the ramifications of EA refusing to listen will bring on the sims.

I know I've done my level best to get you all heard and I am immensely proud you've allowed me to be your OP. You are all very special to me and have a piece of my heart and no amount of loss from this situation EA caused will diminish the companionship, love and compassion shown on this thread while elsewhere things were truly harsh. We shine bright and you all deserve such credit for everything you've done :)
    @Bettyboop55 and @sparkfairy1
    I just had to step away from forums a bit to get into game play with Sims 4. I made Madea Simmons, so she can get those young yipper snappers into shape. I was kind of tempted to post her in the etiquette thread. Seems like the Galley has another Madea as well, but oh well. I made my mom snort when I told her I made a Madea Sim. It was so worth it. I really like laughing a lot especially on my rough health days. I have a wicked dry wit, so corny jokes work really well at making me laugh. That's sweet everyone cares so much about not anyone to leave forums completely. I still have to work on my toddlers some more in TS2.

Madea:
    Madea_zps3fbca93c.png

• blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    trollnexus wrote: »

Aww @trollnexus‌ you honestly just made me cry. Today I'm feeling so useless and hopeless about all this and then you show up and show me that I can have faith in humanity and other people very much care about others even if the people at EA can't even seem to conjure up some compassion and show it to us despite being asked.

I've put my heart and soul into this. EA you may not understand that our brand of criticism is constructive and from a place of love but that's your loss. We deserve so much better and if they continue to refuse to engage it's also their loss financially and to this wonderful community WE created. I feel sorry for everyone in the community for the ramifications of EA refusing to listen will bring on the sims.

I know I've done my level best to get you all heard and I am immensely proud you've allowed me to be your OP. You are all very special to me and have a piece of my heart and no amount of loss from this situation EA caused will diminish the companionship, love and compassion shown on this thread while elsewhere things were truly harsh. We shine bright and you all deserve such credit for everything you've done :)

With the gurus back from vacation and still no word, I'm beginning to waver in mt optimism (if not my determination,) but I take comfort in the fact that I've gotten to meet everyone in this thread and that we are not alone in this. <3@sparkfairy1‌ you've done so much for the community, whatever the outcome is (or isn't) from EA can not take away the solidarity and team spirit that your guiding hand has brought to this thread, and the forum in general, for that matter. :)
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I just had to step away from forums a bit to get into game play with Sims 4. I made Madea Simmons, so she can get those young yipper snappers into shape. I was kind of tempted to post her in the etiquette thread. Seems like the Galley has another Madea as well, but oh well. I made my mom snort when I told her I made a Madea Sim. It was so worth it. I really like laughing a lot especially on my rough health days. I have a wicked dry wit, so corny jokes work really well at making me laugh. That's sweet everyone cares so much about not anyone to leave forums completely. I still have to work on my toddlers some more in TS2.

Madea:
    Madea_zps3fbca93c.png

I like her she really looks like a woman with personality :)

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • BetinhaBetinha Posts: 101 Member
    edited January 2015
    > @GoldenBuffy said:
    > "We hear you." They said that before when the Sims 4 was in development. And seeing and playing the game, and what is missing (open world, CASt, vehicles, etc.) makes me think they were not listening, and I wonder if they truly are listening now. I know we all have our own ideas of what should be included in a base game, but it's 2014, many games now launch with basics such as weather. Why are we still not getting that? And the toddlers, teens who look like adults, and of course there's more. It just makes me sad. I really do feel let down by EA with the Sims. I don't think it's fair that we have to continue to shell out money for things that could easily be included in a base game that is $60.
    >
    > Even after it's launch and I watched Youtubers and their "Let's Plays", and I read over here on the forum, I was still on the fence, I wanted to play the game for myself. I finally got it last Sunday, and I'm already tired of playing it. I did not want that to happen. Right now I don't feel valued as a long time player - been playing since 2000 - and then ignoring us is like a slap in the face.
    >
    > Please, EA and Maxis, listen to us. Make this game awesome! We know you can do it! Take what was so great with the previous Sims and improve upon their greatness, that's the game we want!

That's exactly how I feel. With TS3 I was dissappointed that they didn't put weather on the base game, and that's when i realized they just value our money. I just think they should be carefull, not putting something essencial on the base game frustate us, but if we do get them on EPs (and give them more money) it's ok, we end up forgetting our frustation. But a set back like no open world and no family trees and story progression can make huge TS fans (like myself) stick to TS3 and never go any further. This can backfire so bad... I'm, for the first time since TS1 came out, soooooo angry with them!

I just thought they were super creative people that could put all the great things from their previous series on the next series base game and create some new amazing exciting features for the new EPs. BE CREATIVE EA! Give us what we already love on the base game (talking about basics here, weather, all the life stages, family tree, everything that makes LIFE) and bring back EPs we love (like University, Ambitions and such) and create new things for us on new EPs! With TS3 they copied most of the EPs from TS2... with TS4 we went back for a TS1 mentality of gameplay. I don't get it... they were supposed to be creative and excite us, right? I really don't like how I feel about them right now.

Madea:
    Madea_zps3fbca93c.png

I like her she really looks like a woman with personality :)
    Thank you and yes Tyler Perry portrays her really well. I think he bases off her character from some of his relatives. She is full of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and won't put up with nonsense from kids and adults. I just love the Madea movies.

I guess this will be what it is like if we get toddlers and family trees and family play in the base game:
    madea1.jpg

• kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    The trouble is the moment we leave the forums is the very moment we will cease to be represented or recognised at all with EA ever. They can excuse sales suffering by saying everyone is tired of the sims. Instead of the very obvious reasons we discuss here that the sims can be rescued if EA puts a proper plan to turn it around with sufficient funding and a clear objective to get their hands dirty and start with digging at grass level with the rest of us.

Exactly why I keep returning and voicing my opinion and hopes for TS5. I have not even opened TS4 since the beginning of November as I have written the game off as a lost cause for me. However I still come here and support the family play people (I am one) as if we are not heard now, if and when there is a TS5 they might well carry on with their distorted "vision" for our beloved life simulation game.

And quite frankly sometimes I like to rant a little and EA is a perfect target!

Keep up the great work Sparkle. You are a sweetie with a world of patience. <3

kim :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• BetinhaBetinha Posts: 101 Member
    @CreoleSim I agree with every word you said.
    I bought TS4 beause I'm used to buy every new TS game. but I'll deffinitely not buy anything else until people here say story progression, family trees and all life stages (fixing teens) are back. And even so, I'll wait for their review.
    Thank you everyone, I just needed to step away for a while to gather myself and I come back to such sweet messages of solidarity in this thread, pm's to check on me and it's made me feel much, much better :) you guys are so sweet and awesome you really do deserve the best <3
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    WARNING: Lots of Pics!!

Pictures
    NEVER.AGAIN. :no_mouth:

For the first time ever the tv is better than the game...
  • yunagarnetyunagarnet Posts: 417 Member
    edited January 2015
    I'll be honest I'm not a huge family player. I care mostly about teens and I usually always have my aging off unless I want someone to age up. With that being said TS1 babies, no toddlers, and teens being the same height as adults is horrible and I can't believe they thought it was okay to include. There is one family I make and the youngest daughter is always a toddler when I start them off. This just really throws things off and it's pretty ironic that a game that is supposed to be all about creating your own story that they would take out or alter such important stuff.
    “Honestly, we didn’t meet player expectations at launch, and that was a difficult pill to swallow,” - The Sims 4 executive producer, Rachel Franklin.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top