Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is >anybody< actually satisfied with no toddlers?

Comments

• songsmith2003songsmith2003 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I'm coping without them, but I'd prefer if they returned to the game. Like @Scobre, I would have preferred to have toddlers and eliminated the young adult category. There's really nothing differentiating young adults from adults -- in Sims 3 I could at least take my Sims into CAS and add a few grey/white streaks to the hair to show they were getting older. (Probably the main thing from CASt I miss.) In Sims 2, the Young Adult stage was only for Sims when they went to university -- as soon as they graduated or if they chose not to go they'd immediately age to Adult. Then in Sims 3 they decided to make Young Adult its own stage. I do prefer the Sims 3 approach to University because any age from YA up could go (I always felt bad when my Sim kids were better educated than their parents), but it does make the YA age stage sort of superfluous. I can't tell if there are any differences between YA and adults -- I think there are some minor appearance tweaks, but I can't spot them readily.

Agreed. They could lengthen Adult life spans to accommodate the younger years (and a Uni type expansion if they produce one.) That said, I think it would be spectacular if sims' features gradually aged. Okay, who am I kidding? They can't even stop the clipping issues. Subtle cosmetic changes aren't happening.

As for toddlers (to stay OT) I miss them because I do a lot of family and generational play through challenges. They sometime annoy me, but I'm partly to blame because I am task oriented and by gum, if the challenge says my sims need to be successful, then everyone must skill! Insert imaginary whip cracking here. Once I started to play more hands off, that changed and I came to appreciate them and all the interactions--particularly in Sims 2 which IMO had the best toddlers. They also began to mean more as my generations grew and I could see bits of grandma or grandpa or great-grands in their looks or personality. They meant something because they were part of the dynasty my sims were creating. In fact, the only reason why I have a toddler avatar is because he was one of my fave Sims 3 sims (5th generation).

And, honestly, you can always cake them if you don't want to deal with them. They could even do away with the cake requirement (but leave it in for those who like birthdays) for anyone who wants to grow them up immediately.

I find babies far more annoying and useless than I ever did toddlers, but I'd have the same disconnect I get from baby springing into 10-year-old if a sim mom popped out a three-year-old instead of a newborn.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    I'm not glad, but if EA asked me to list what I want, toddlers wouldn't be on my list. I'd prefer something more useful to me, like CASt, story progression or an open world. I usually play single sims so toddlers are pretty useless to me.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    edited January 2015
    LaAbby wrote: »
    Naydi wrote: »
    AlmaMM wrote: »
    So I've seen all the amounts of people who complain about not having toddlers in TS4 but according to what EA says, they did it because toddlers had the least game time (or something like that, I'm not sure if I remember correctly), so I wonder, is anybody here that is glad that the toddler lifestage is skipped over?

I don't need toddlers. If I had to buy an expansion pack to get them, I would save my money. I don't like toddlers. I am not that fond of children, either. In Second Life, there are no avatars under the age of 21 in my game, and in The Sims, there are no Sims under the age of teen. So yes, I am very happy to play without unnecessary life stages. And before everyone goes off on me: Yes, I am a family/generational player.

I see the Sims as a life simulation, and to me all the life stages are necessary, even if I don't like a certain life stage. I don't feel like I'm playing with life, and my style of play if I can't have a complete population.

But I'm surprised, I didn't know there was more than 1 type of family play :o

Yes there are many types of family play. It's why certain simmers try to claim my family thread is redundant because *they* don't think what matters to others is important. Of course it matters. Everyone is entitled to feel as they do as long as they are sensible in expressing so.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    Here is a theory about that statistics:
    1. Young people are used to share literally everything on the internet (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and on and on). So they are probably online with the game all the time.
    2. Young Simmers probably focus more on the romantic aspects and on parties.

3. Older people care more for their privacy and protection of their personal data. So they prefer to stay offline with their game.
    4. I guess the majority of the family players are older (30+).

So taking these points into account could explain the result of that statistics.
    I'm actually under 30, but I've been playing the Sims games since I was 12. So guess I fall into the minority, yay! Family just has always been a huge part of my life. I'm helping raise both my nephews and I have a lot of cousins in three countries. I think EA is trying to cater to the 13-18 year old crowd, but funny thing is the incest glitch is still around and game got passed with the teen ESRB rating. But I don't know. Every Simmer was a toddler at one time of their lives. I have no idea which direction the Sims 4 is heading towards, but even the romance and party and social aspects of the game are lacking compared to the previous games. It's like EA wants us to play in one Sim per household for some odd reason. I just don't understand EA or why they want to limit to just one play style. If they really want to make money, they would open up their target market a bit wider. But it's up to EA what they decide with family play or not.

Regarding the statistics, I think EA took the lazy approach which I've seen done on another site before. I'm actually curious if they used this same method for their decision on open vs. closed worlds as well and for other features of the game.

Me too, also under 30! I also have played this way since ts2 so as a teen I was busy playing families. For me young adults are fine and all but it's a stage that's a means to an end if you understand-I introduce them to their oh, they get married and then have a family. It's this point that I find most enjoyable of all. The challenge of my sims juggling life with jobs etc and their babies and toddlers! I'm aware others find it a grind but I encourage you to age up if that's what suits you. I don't feel my play style should be eliminated because of others. I'd never campaign to deprive others of what they love in the sims-trust me, there's plenty I dislike but it makes me happy to know the game is universally loved and options are there for many play styles-to me that's incredible!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2015
    In the past I don't always play a family household. But when I do I do prefer the TS2 toddlers over the TS3 toddlers. It's just a natural progression in the game and in actual life, so I expected they would have them this time since the games seemed to be on a 'progression' track until we got to the TS4

This game sort of goes backwards, don't you think? I mean all the other games progressed in a natural sort of way (though I thought the TS3 AI and interactions were lacking due to focus on microtransactions) but not a bad game. Then I get the TS4 and it is more like the Sims Social and or Sims Free to Play and or even the console versions with it's premise, except for PC series. At this point return of the toddlers aren't going to make me like this game more.

It would if I like the gameplay of this game, but I don't. Everything about this game is very linear. And very restrictive and controlling even down to the emotions. Where as the other games were not that restrictive and controlling. That is my dissatisfaction, so adding them back in isn't really going to help me like it more because before they add in more family interactions for kids, parents, teens and toddlers, elders etc. I would have to see the reworking of the premise of this game...and none of that is likely to change all that much. I mean my dad Sim would still have to do linear, scripted careers and aspirations that don't matter to the actual Sim and very scripted. Where as I would have wanted the aspirations to actually reflect the personality of the Sims and what they are all about, as they aspire to be better, who they desire to be...but that isn't going to change in this game.

So, I'm unimpressed with that game other that a few animations I begged about in the games for years to be added. It's just not going to change all that much.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    1. Young people are used to share literally everything on the internet (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp and on and on). So they are probably online with the game all the time.

3. Older people care more for their privacy and protection of their personal data. So they prefer to stay offline with their game.

So taking these points into account could explain the result of that statistics.
    I'm old and 3 and 4 absolutely goes for me. But the romantic aspects play a huge part as well. When I started playing Sims it was all about having families and getting children, but that changed after ten generations. Then it became 'the game of love' and the focus changed to the YA life stage for me (because there is so much to do for that life stage in the game, which I love as well).
    I always play offline.
    With "romantic aspect" I meant just woohoo tbh. ;)
    I have added this because of those many posts about woohoo spots we can find all around in this forum. That and new forms of death seems to be most appreciated regarding the reactions. I don't get it but each to their own.
    Oh, ok, I meant romantic in a broader sense lol. And I specifically like the part where they don't 'have each other' yet ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DiamondkoolDiamondkool Posts: 4,481 Member
    I don't like looking after toddlers so I don't really care about the absence of toddlers. I'm just glad that I don't have to waste time looking after toddlers especially I don't like when they're crying out loud. I no longer play the Sims 3 because it was too glitch-y for me to enjoy it. I don't mind playing a game without CASt but I would want EA to add more objects and colour options in buy and build mode. There aren't many different columns for example. Back to toddlers, however I would wish if babies weren't stuck in a pram or something and didn't look all the same. I'm under 30 and I don't normally play families, I prefer to play young adult sims.
    7ef6931fe80152dcec309a30cbe73f13.png
    Click on my signature to access my tumblr blog!
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    colton147 wrote: »
    Don't care if they are in the game or not.

If they are returning in the future, I want a playpen, walker, and baby swing that comes with them.

Pretty much this.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • AlmaMMAlmaMM Posts: 200 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Everything about this game is very linear. And very restrictive and controlling even down to the emotions. Where as the other games were not that restrictive and controlling. That is my dissatisfaction, so adding them back in isn't really going to help me like it more because before they add in more family interactions for kids, parents, teens and toddlers, elders etc. I would have to see the reworking of the premise of this game...and none of that is likely to change all that much. I mean my dad Sim would still have to do linear, scripted careers and aspirations that don't matter to the actual Sim and very scripted. Where as I would have wanted the aspirations to actually reflect the personality of the Sims and what they are all about, as they aspire to be better, who they desire to be...but that isn't going to change in this game.

You know I didn't even know what felt wrong until you said it. Preach!
    Though really, even though they make it seem as if they gave us soooo much freedom with all the personality works and stuff, when in fact it's so controlled and ruled that we can't even. This so much omg.

• NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    edited January 2015
    So I've seen all the amounts of people who complain about not having toddlers in TS4 but according to what EA says, they did it because toddlers had the least game time (or something like that, I'm not sure if I remember correctly), so I wonder, is anybody here that is glad that the toddler lifestage is skipped over?

I don't need toddlers. If I had to buy an expansion pack to get them, I would save my money. I don't like toddlers. I am not that fond of children, either. In Second Life, there are no avatars under the age of 21 in my game, and in The Sims, there are no Sims under the age of teen. So yes, I am very happy to play without unnecessary life stages. And before everyone goes off on me: Yes, I am a family/generational player.
    How do you do that? By cloning your sims?

They have babies, I let them keep them for a couple of days, then I age them up. Then I let one day go by for skill building, then age up to teens. Therefore any offspring become teens in 3 sim-days. No muss, no fuss.

I really think the developers missed the boat on this one, though. I can't think of any good reason why toddlers would have been eliminated in the first place. There are certain things that quickly become benchmarks that you have to build upon, like: toddlers, weather, sports, RESTAURANTS, firemen, dishwashers. These are basics. I can't think of any reason why any of these things would have been passed over.
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • CillianLoverCillianLover Posts: 405 Member
    I really wish there were toddlers in this game, but I might not miss them as much if the baby stage wasn't such a let down. I think the babies are cute, and if they could actually leave the bassinets, I might be happy with them. Also, it just looks wrong to go from infant to walking talking child.
  • thedecayedthedecayed Posts: 134 Member
    It kinda bothers me that the babies age up straight into children, but I always just aged them up to children from birth in Sims 3 anyways. I have no patients to deal with diapers and bottles. :P
  • CillianLoverCillianLover Posts: 405 Member
    thedecayed wrote: »
    It kinda bothers me that the babies age up straight into children, but I always just aged them up to children from birth in Sims 3 anyways. I have no patients to deal with diapers and bottles. :P

I just remembered the dirty bottles lying around from TS2. Those were super annoying, always messing up the entire house! I guess I like the toddlers from TS3 better.

How do you do that? By cloning your sims?

They have babies, I let them keep them for a couple of days, then I age them up. Then I let one day go by for skill building, then age up to teens. Therefore any offspring become teens in 3 sim-days. No muss, no fuss.

I really think the developers missed the boat on this one, though. I can't think of any good reason why toddlers would have been eliminated in the first place. There are certain things that quickly become benchmarks that you have to build upon, like: toddlers, weather, sports, RESTAURANTS, firemen, dishwashers. These are basics. I can't think of any reason why any of these things would have been passed over.
    Ah, yes, it's the same for me. Baby's often age the very same day in my game and the toddler stage is mainly to have the family life feeling (and it does deepen my feelings for them; a sim that was born in my game and went through all the life stages just has more depth somehow). Once they know how to walk and talk and are potty trained, I give them their carillon and a lot of books. That way they are quiet and sweet and they learn their skills at the same time ;)
    And I agree with you about the basics.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • 61Dustin61Dustin Posts: 74 Member
    It made my day. In Sims 3 I dreaded toddlers. I wouldn't be opposed to meshing the two stages together here in Sims 4. It will surely never happen, but the thought is neat.
  • JEclip12JEclip12 Posts: 24 Member
    I've never been bother since it was first announced they would not be in the game. I was fine with them in The Sims 2, but for what ever reason they seem a lot more annoying in The Sims 3. Plus I like that you can age babies up to kids when ever you want.
    Twitch -
  • coocoosimcoocoosim Posts: 325 Member
    I'm not phased by it.
    Let's Play The Goth Family, here!
    Watch The Bunker Challenge, here!
    AND while you're at it, here's my simblr! :D
  • KaiDohKaiDoh Posts: 40 Member
    I can live without them but I REALLY don't want to live without them. I miss the relationship/memory building aspects of them.
    However, I would not want toddlers until the twin glitch is fixed!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

I'm actually under 30, but I've been playing the Sims games since I was 12. So guess I fall into the minority, yay! Family just has always been a huge part of my life. I'm helping raise both my nephews and I have a lot of cousins in three countries. I think EA is trying to cater to the 13-18 year old crowd, but funny thing is the incest glitch is still around and game got passed with the teen ESRB rating. But I don't know. Every Simmer was a toddler at one time of their lives. I have no idea which direction the Sims 4 is heading towards, but even the romance and party and social aspects of the game are lacking compared to the previous games. It's like EA wants us to play in one Sim per household for some odd reason. I just don't understand EA or why they want to limit to just one play style. If they really want to make money, they would open up their target market a bit wider. But it's up to EA what they decide with family play or not.

Regarding the statistics, I think EA took the lazy approach which I've seen done on another site before. I'm actually curious if they used this same method for their decision on open vs. closed worlds as well and for other features of the game.

Me too, also under 30! I also have played this way since ts2 so as a teen I was busy playing families. For me young adults are fine and all but it's a stage that's a means to an end if you understand-I introduce them to their oh, they get married and then have a family. It's this point that I find most enjoyable of all. The challenge of my sims juggling life with jobs etc and their babies and toddlers! I'm aware others find it a grind but I encourage you to age up if that's what suits you. I don't feel my play style should be eliminated because of others. I'd never campaign to deprive others of what they love in the sims-trust me, there's plenty I dislike but it makes me happy to know the game is universally loved and options are there for many play styles-to me that's incredible!
    Yeah I just expected young adult to come with an university EP. The teen-elder stages feel pretty much the same and not unique with each other like the last three games. I've actually raised 10 kids at once in the Sims 2 before. That was a challenge but fun. I do think it was a good point brought out in the family play thread about having toddlers be part of an optional stuff pack like the holiday pack so that those that want it, can download it for free while others that don't, don't have to have it in their game. It would be a good compromise for everyone.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

Yeah I just expected young adult to come with an university EP. The teen-elder stages feel pretty much the same and not unique with each other like the last three games. I've actually raised 10 kids at once in the Sims 2 before. That was a challenge but fun. I do think it was a good point brought out in the family play thread about having toddlers be part of an optional stuff pack like the holiday pack so that those that want it, can download it for free while others that don't, don't have to have it in their game. It would be a good compromise for everyone.
    I can understand people don't want occults in their game, but if you like to simulate life, why would you object to an entire life stage? Sounds like: I love this game but I wish you could play it without those annoying creatures needing food and attention, that keep running around my town the whole time.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I don't understand about not wanting to let family people have their toddlers, too.

Can't you age them with the birthday cakes and stuff? (Or, with Sims 4, do it like the baby and age them up as an option?)

For me, I don't like teens, both in RL and digital/virtual worlds, and I also think the young adult sometimes feels unnecessary, but I don't go around asking for them to be removed or being relieved that they would be removed, etc.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2015

I can understand people don't want occults in their game, but if you like to simulate life, why would you object to an entire life stage? Sounds like: I love this game but I wish you could play it without those annoying creatures needing food and attention, that keep running around my town the whole time.
    I like the supernaturals, but yes I think each Simmer has their own play style. The supernaturals like fairies and mermaids are actually what I liked most about Sims 3 plus Isla Paradiso was beautiful despite its issues. But the zombies and warewolves were disappointing. The thing I don't understand when people say they want Sims to be more realistic like with the Sims 3, is that they don't want sicknesses or toddlers in their game. It's like they want realism in some areas but not others. I think Sims is a combination of realism and fantasy, so finding a happy medium between the both makes the best Sims games.

There is actually a cheat to keep needs static for Sims, so that issue could be avoided. I've noticed with Sims 4 you can't age a baby with the cake, which sucks. But you can age them up fast for those that don't like that stage. I think if the same was applied if a toddler stage was ever put in, people could have the option to skip that age if they want too. It just takes seconds and a click to skip a life stage. I really miss elders being able to retire, teenagers getting grounded for sneaking out of the house, children being able to interact with toddlers, and toddlers interact with pets. There was just so many fun interactions in Sims 2 and 3 between Sims, that were left out of Sims 4.

Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    Some people probably really hate toddlers, others are defending the game and swearing it's perfect, because they're taking the disappointment and criticism personally. I don't get it but as long as we're still able to say what we think and have reasonable discussions, I'm happy to let everyone say their piece :) and also hoping we will have some news soon that will help these discussions be more productive. Just knowing whether they will be added or not would be a huge step in the right direction.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I wouldn't mind if they came back. I just hope that when they do there is a lot more to the stage than just walk, talk and take a potty.
  • PheobelisPheobelis Posts: 45 Member
    I don't mind really. Although for me no toddlers makes my larger families easier to play.