Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your family trees!

The lack of family tree in-game is a familiar bone of contention around these parts, so I thought I'd share mine and point out the website that I've been using to create it in case anyone wants to try it out!

Some of you may already be using Family Echo (www.familyecho.com); it's a basic family tree builder that's fully online (so no need to download anything). Here's what I've created so far:

25hpzdh.jpg

It doesn't look particularly pretty, but I'm pleased with it overall. It was super easy to create, the longest part was actually deciding what pictures I wanted to use for each sim :#I'd love to see pics of your family trees if you've taken the time to create one (whether with a website, dedicated program or just using Paint), so please feel free to share! :D
4h2kiv.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bmealaynabmealayna Posts: 442 Member
    Wow, this system looks very organized. I currently have a mac right now and can't play, but I will certainly use this website!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I am very familiar with having a family tree structure.

I am absolutely not interested in anything that I can't display automatically by clicking onto a Sim in game and having it display all the sims that one is related to and how they are related to each other.

Doing a family tree on a scrap of paper or in some other program is just work.

Besides that, to use a family tree outside the game, you have to exit the game, find the family tree of Sim in which you are interested, if you can even work out which family tree they are in, and then by that time I will have forgotten I was even playing a game. I may as well close the computer and go do something useful - like housework.
  • Options
    JessabiJessabi Posts: 68 Member
    @bmealayna That's why I like it so much, it takes no time at all!

@Karritz I see your point, and I'd 100% prefer for the game to do it for me, but I do find it quite fun to mess around with it for 5 mins after a play session. Maybe I'm just strange ;) I'm still hoping that it will be patched back into the game though, I don't understand why they would remove such a basic feature in the first place.
    4h2kiv.jpg

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2015
    I love the outside the game family tree. Don't have one in 4 though.
    That's a lot of sims you already have there! You play rotational or do you choose one heir?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @astridentanja What can I say, I love a big sim-family :p I play rotational for this family but with auto-aging on so that I can stick with my favourites for a while without worrying about having to catch up everyone else in age later. I have a Legacy family on a different save file in which I chose the one heir though so trying to keep that to 1-2 kids for each gen hehe.
    4h2kiv.jpg

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    What about the other families in town that you may or may not want to marry one of your sims from your main family? Do you not care how their relationships work?
  • Options
    GlitzymegGlitzymeg Posts: 153 Member
    I have made several family trees. This one is for my simself's family :)

ft_zps38b93496.png
  • Options
    SkellySpadesSkellySpades Posts: 328 Member
    Dang, and here I am making it by hand all by myself LOL.

Here's my latest legacy tree. The original legacy sim is based on someone I know in real life. He also helped me with his own traits and picking a girlfriend.. down to naming his kids. And the rest, I control.

JPYIstN.jpg

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/802994/the-mcperson-legacy-just-some-mcpeople-doing-some-mcstuff
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @Karritz Not really to be honest, unless I actively play them or they become part of the main family. Creating a tree for every pre-made family would be tedious! My playing style is to just start with one family then play it's subsequent generations (and the multiple households that come with that), so if a sim joins the family and already has relatives of their own then I would then add them as a branch to the existing tree :) So far though any sim entering this family has been from the pool of randomly generated single households (apart from the Breaking Bad household I downloaded) and not had any.

@Glitzymeg Lovely looking family!

@SkellySpades I love your handmade tree, it looks awesome! Having the colour coded lines and their traits under the names are nice touches :D

4h2kiv.jpg

• Options
    albaniealbanie Posts: 584 Member
    Wow, I'm so glad you posted this, I had been looking for a family tree creator site! I love how simple and easy this one is :) I did mine, as it is so far.

FamilyTreeBatiste_zpsf5fcfd7b.jpg

I love yours @skellyspades, @glitzymeg @jessabi :) They're so big!
    You never forget the face of the person who was your last hope - The Hunger Games.
    Banana! - Minions
  • Options
    aleneghan619aleneghan619 Posts: 4,947 Member
    Those family trees are quite good in that you can see multiple generations at once, the family trees in the game usually only 2 or 3 generations.. its nice too see the full picture
    tumblr_inline_movqnq54lT1qz4rgp.gif

• Options
    horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    Am I the only one that noticed Walter White in the OP's family tree? Awesome tree, by the way.

Mine is very small so far.

6b010c5e-b59b-4f5c-9726-79662c0f0844.png
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • Options
    SkellySpadesSkellySpades Posts: 328 Member
    I love family trees and I'm no stranger. Here are my trees from my Sims 2 Legacies. Also made on my own. Even did one for pets!!

2l91uz8.jpg

34so75x.jpg

2pozcea.jpg

20fqafq.jpg

• Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    I love making my own family Tree, here's my current legacy family tree

Family%2BTree%2B17%2Bcolor.png
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    AkramA wrote: »

I love how you mapped this out. What did you use to make it?
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    @EAfan99‌ Thank you, I use microsoft powerpoint
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Options
    beanbean Posts: 72 Member
    @Jessabi I see one of your sims had a baby with Walter White. Intereeesting.
  • Options
    SailorgreenylizSailorgreenyliz Posts: 107 Member
    @bmealayna I am also on a Mac, but I use bootcamp on my mid 2009 Macbook Pro and the game works for me on my windows 7 side. As for the family tree I have one I made as well, but can't post a picture or the link. It's at familyecho.com/?p=WWNHV&c=xjx0lrzw0y&f=655444827130548913
    Origin ID - Sailorgreenyliz
    - Sims 4 Legacy The Green Legacy
  • Options
    aleneghan619aleneghan619 Posts: 4,947 Member
    okay i must do this, thanks for the idea!
    tumblr_inline_movqnq54lT1qz4rgp.gif

• Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    @EAfan99‌ Thank you, I use microsoft powerpoint
    Very impressive! I know nothing about powerpoint, unfortunately.

• Options
    KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    Thank you so much for making this topic. I had an amazing family legacy... then it turned out that I had some Windows issues. And thus went the save games. =( I haven't recovered my broken heart since! Now I'm inspired. *Goes to cook a gourmet meal*
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @albanie Glad I was able to point you in the direction of it, your tree is looking great so far!

@SkellySpades Wowza, all your trees are seriously impressive! They must have taken a lot of time :D

@horrorfan1980s @bean Jesse Pinkman is in there also (don't have a very good pic of him though) :p Couldn't resist downloading them when I found them on the Gallery!

@AkramA I love the look of your family tree, I wouldn't have even thought to use Powerpoint.

@aleneghan619 No problem, enjoy!

@KitOnlyHuman Oh man, I know the feeling. I was 8 generations on TS2 in when my computer contracted a doozy of a virus and had to be completely wiped - everything gone! The memory still stings.. :'( Haha. I'm glad this topic could inspire you though!
    4h2kiv.jpg

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Jessabi wrote: »
    The lack of family tree in-game is a familiar bone of contention around these parts, so I thought I'd share mine and point out the website that I've been using to create it in case anyone wants to try it out!

Some of you may already be using Family Echo (www.familyecho.com); it's a basic family tree builder that's fully online (so no need to download anything). Here's what I've created so far:

25hpzdh.jpg

It doesn't look particularly pretty, but I'm pleased with it overall. It was super easy to create, the longest part was actually deciding what pictures I wanted to use for each sim :#I'd love to see pics of your family trees if you've taken the time to create one (whether with a website, dedicated program or just using Paint), so please feel free to share! :D

How long did it take you to do that?
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

This is awesome, what did you use?
  • Options
    KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member